MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Honor student with two jobs gets jail time for missing school
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Current Events »» Honor student with two jobs gets jail time for missing school

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
05-28-12, 11:15 AM

So I found this interesting story today. What say you guys on this topic?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-honor-student-jobs-jailed-missing-school/story?id=16437893#.T8O_QMWwUo4
Modified by TravSavage, 05-28-12, 11:30 AM

05-28-12, 11:32 AM

*sigh*

Sums up my thoughts. Instead of using force and threats, why not make school attractive instead?
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

05-28-12, 11:33 AM

TravSavage said:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-honor-student-jobs-jailed-missing-school/story?id=16437893#.T8O_QMWwUo4

It depends. The article says that her father is working late. That means he also brings money to the family. So does she really need those two jobs? We don't know because we weren't there.

05-28-12, 11:35 AM

I feel so bad for her. I mean, I understand that they are required to have consequences for kids missing too much school, because they can get in a lot of trouble for overlooking truancy, but putting her in jail? I mean, she sounds like she works harder than anybody I know. She doesn't deserve that shit.

Lol, figures that the judge's name is Moriarty. It fits him.

05-28-12, 11:39 AM

A law that puts you in jail for missing school is stupid though. Who the fuck thought of that? In the school i went missing school too much meant you stay in the same class next year not hanging out with criminals.

05-28-12, 11:42 AM

Judge Moriarty told KHOU 11 News that he intended to make an example of Tran.
"If you let one run loose, what are you going to do with the rest of them? Let them go, too?" Moriarty asked the TV station.

Run loose? What, like an animal? A slave? Is the kid running away for home? No. :rolleyes: One of the journalists should question the language used by this "judge."

In addition to working at Elliot's wedding-planning venue, Tran works full-time at a dry cleaners. She has been supporting an older brother and a younger sister since her parents separated and her mother relocated out of state, Elliot said. Her father often works too late to come home, so she sometimes lives with Elliot's daughter.

Is that a kid "running loose"?

Just a reminder that everytime some lawmakers in the US pass a law in the pretense of "protecting the children," more often the laws would be used against the children.

05-28-12, 11:49 AM

I don't think that they should have thrown her in jail. I can understand if they punished her by suspending her or something around the sort. But putting her in jail was completely unnecessary, especially with her current situation.

05-28-12, 11:52 AM

rodentqween99 said:
I don't think that they should have thrown her in jail. I can understand if they punished her by suspending her or something around the sort. But putting her in jail was completely unnecessary, especially with her current situation.

Not to mention she was also fined $100. This plus the fact that this little black mark will be with her the rest of her life is pretty awful.

05-28-12, 12:04 PM

Monad said:
TravSavage said:

It depends. The article says that her father is working late. That means he also brings money to the family. So does she really need those two jobs? We don't know because we weren't there.

How many people do you know who work 2 jobs if they don't need too?
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"

05-28-12, 12:04 PM

Due to her circumstances, I would think the School would actually accommodate her—in that they give her more days to miss (definitely since she's a straight-A student), or at least allow her to make up those classes missed. The fact that she works two jobs is confusing, considering her father works as well. If the family is in such desperate need for monetary support, welfare is an alternative. Which leads me to believe her father's probably an alcoholic, and thus spends the majority of his earnings on alcohol.

Anyways, the world is laden with unfairness and inequality. It's a pretty rotten punishment—the fact that she was even punished is rotten itself—but you have to remember that the reality of this kind of attitude is shared amongst most of the global population in some way or another (I'm not going to say this behaviour is exclusive to America, because it isn't). The world is shit... Gotta deal with it ("^__^)

05-28-12, 12:13 PM

The judge was a dick. To put it bluntly.

He wanted to make an example of a student missing school, that's fine, but not her. Basically he's saying that you can't help family, that what she is doing is wrong. That is what the punishment looks like. You punish the ones who are doing something illegal, or just plain skipping because they don't like to go to school, or are in gangs, or whatever.

Punishing an Honor student who, as they said gets STRAIGHT A's, and still goes the extra mile and helps their own family get by. That's just being a dick for the hell of it. He abused his power, I don't care if there is a rule that means she must have been punished, he took it too far. Who in their right mind would punish her for this?

I never supported any rule for attendance. It's silly. If you can ace the class without attending it then is it really your fault for not attending? College luckily moves away from that idea.

Attendance is just a method to keep the people who would otherwise fail, or drop out, in school. I always thought it was stupid to fail a class because you didn't attend although having perfect grades, while someone who attended every class could pass with the lowest passing grades (in my school it was a D).

There was little sense when that rule was created.

05-28-12, 12:14 PM

TravSavage said:
rodentqween99 said:

Not to mention she was also fined $100. This plus the fact that this little black mark will be with her the rest of her life is pretty awful.

I thought your slate gets cleared when you turn 18.
Modified by -Linus-, 05-28-12, 12:18 PM

05-28-12, 12:15 PM

Jail time for school absences is ridiculous to begin with. I mean, seriously?
Is school even mandatory at age 17 in Texas?

05-28-12, 12:17 PM

Bork said:
TravSavage said:
rodentqween99 said:

They do. Rodent doesn't know what he's talking about :P

05-28-12, 12:34 PM

Justice in its brightest light...

05-28-12, 12:38 PM

Kinda retarded. When one is skipping school too much only kicking out of school the the person who is doing that comes to mind, but hey, here they jailed someone for it....
Beautiful lies

05-28-12, 12:43 PM

That's what you get when you don't pay taxes.

05-28-12, 12:50 PM

lucjan said:
Bork said:
TravSavage said:
rodentqween99 said:

Yup, you're right. My error, haha.

05-28-12, 12:54 PM

lucjan said:
Bork said:
TravSavage said:
rodentqween99 said:

Please, if you are going to refer to me, at least get what I said right.
"This plus the fact that this little black mark will be with her the rest of her life is pretty awful" was not said by me.
No offense to who said it, I am just stating that it wasn't said by me.

05-28-12, 12:54 PM

How will she go to school if she's in jail?

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices