MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

How have voice actors/seyiuus ever affected your views on anime?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» How have voice actors/seyiuus ever affected your views on anime?

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
05-27-12, 9:23 PM

Let me elaborate:
I mean when choosing to watch an anime or not,do you take into consideration the voice actors?Here's 2 examples:
-EX 1:Voice actor A is playing a character in anime B,this VA happens to be one of your favorite VA.So you say,"OMG,this is a MUST SEE!!VA A"S' voice is so perfect!!!!"Has this result into you loving or regretting your decision to watch anime B.
-Ex 2:VA B is playing a character in anime A,this VA happens to be one of your most hated VA.So you respond with a,"OH HELL NO!!!!Get this sh*t out of my ears!!"Has this ever resulted into you hating or praising yourself for not watching anime A.
So,even if they are voicing a character completely different (vocal wise) from the character you love or hate that VA for,do you still take them into consideration?Even if the anime isn't the type of series you usually watch.Do you give it a plus of minus for it?Do the actor make it more or less enjoyable?
You can use Japanese or English or whatever voice actors here.

And yes,I do foresee this becoming a dub vs sub at anytime.People sure do love their off topic threads.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.

05-27-12, 9:29 PM

My views on this are:
I can only really do that with dubs,which only help me decide whether to give the anime a plus or minus.With subs,I don't really do any research into the voice actors because I can't remember the names......YET.Starting to get a good idea of some.
I'm interested to check out something like Hellsing because one of my favorite English anime VA provides the voice of the MC.Going from Kyon to Alucard,DAMN Crispin Freeman has such an awesome voice.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.

05-27-12, 9:32 PM

Sometimes I will indeed hate a character because the voice actor is so annoying. Madoka being one, and Nunnally Lamperouge being another.

05-27-12, 9:39 PM

Ever since Guilty Crown, when ever I hear Yuki Kaji's voice, I can expect people to look down on the character and if he's voicing the main character, look down on the anime.

Anyways, for me seiyus are just a added bonus, I won't limit myself just because this or that guy/girl is voicing this character. Even if I don't like it, I'll adapt. For example, Fairly Tail. I didn't like Natsu's voice but after a while, I couldn't care less anymore. Though if one of my favorites are voicing a main character, that's good news for me. This is for Japanese audio.

For the English dubbed versions, I can adapt fairly well most of the time and I've seen plenty as well but some voices just make me cringe sometimes. Negi's (Negima) voice in the English dub. I understand they tried to get that accent because of where he was from/born but I can't say I liked it. Regardless I adapted. Then we got Arther from Tears to Tiara. If anyone has watched the English dub, they gave this guy the most horrendus accent I have ever heard... and it doesn't even fit his character... AT ALL. Him being a main character, I couldn't get pass 3 episodes of the English dub. It made me drop the series. It was just to horrendous to listen to.

If you want to hear it, here's the first 2 minutes of ep2.
Modified by Paul, 05-27-12, 9:44 PM

05-27-12, 9:44 PM

Voice acting ranks pretty low on my enjoyment scale, as well as most others in this thread:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=388617

And no, I definitely do not take voice acting into consideration when choosing anime to watch. That sounds like a dumb selection criteria to me.
Modified by FauxAzn, 05-27-12, 10:02 PM

05-27-12, 9:46 PM

EvilVonBaronson said:
Sometimes I will indeed hate a character because the voice actor is so annoying.

This and it's reverse, some characters are likable and/or memorable because of their voice.

As for the topic, I've experienced example 1, where a voice actor being in a show positively influenced me to pick up a show, but I don't think I've ever experienced example 2; however, that's not to say there aren't some seiyuu that make me want to rip out my ears.
"The end of happiness, the beginning of truth."

05-27-12, 9:46 PM

Paul said:
]
For the English dubbed versions, I can adapt fairly well most of the time and I've seen plenty as well but some voices just make me cringe sometimes. Negi's (Negima) voice in the English dub. I understand they tried to get that accent because of where he was from/born but I can't say I liked it. Regardless I adapted. Then we got Arther from Tears to Tiara. If anyone has watched the English dub, they gave this guy the most horrendus accent I have ever heard... and it doesn't even fit his character... AT ALL. Him being a main character, I couldn't get pass 3 episodes of the English dub. It made me drop the series. It was just to horrendous to listen to.

If you want to hear it, here's the first 2 minutes of ep2.

Okay,that character voice can get annoying after a while.
My Devianart

05-27-12, 10:07 PM

No, voice actors have little to no significant to me in picking what anime I want to watch. This is actually one of the reasons why I don't have any VAs(or anyone for that matter) in my "Favorite People" section.

05-27-12, 10:54 PM

I randomly watched an anime called Asu no Yoichi out of boredom. Suddenly, I hear Kazuya Nakai's voice (Masamune Date from Sengoku Basara, Zoro from One Piece), was compelled to continue watching. Same thing for when I randomly watched Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru. The teacher just happened to be Tomokazu Sugita (Kyon from Haruhi Suzumiya, Gintoki from Gintama).

So I guess when I randomly watch shows, if I happen to hear a voice I recognize, I'll be more inclined to continue watching.

05-28-12, 2:06 AM

VA plays a role in some shows I might pick up. (Or Games, if I learn about VA that I like dub them, I go out of my way to get a english patch or buy a version that have it's original voice)

05-28-12, 2:15 AM

If I see Ono Daisuke, or Hanazawa Kana I'm pretty much guaranteed to watch the show sooner or later.

05-28-12, 2:38 AM

I don't check voice actors before watching starting a show so hearing someone I like is generally a nice surprise. However, a bad character is a bad character and I won't try to like a character just because I like the seiyuu. Same thing goes the other way I won't dislike a good character just because I dislike the voice.

Of course a good voice actor paired with an interesting character can always elevate things so that a good character becomes great. Just as a terrible voice acting can make an annoying character unbearable.

In the end when it comes to voice acting I just want the seiyuu to capture the spirit of the character. I don't want to sit there watching a show thinking hey this is Daisuke Namikawa I'm listening to right now. Of course with some voices it's inevitable like Norio Wakamoto, the guy has done so many memorable characters and his voice is so distinctive. Of course every character Wakamoto voices instantly sounds awesome and become impossible to forget but in general I'd rather not be distracted by pinning a voice actor to a character. Rather I want to seiyuu to enhance the role with their performance.

05-28-12, 6:09 AM

To be honest, I don't pick anime based on the seiyuus. I don't even usually know the seiyuus. I assume that whoever the director picked is who they think fits the character/story/their views of the anime. Sometimes I checked later if I thought I heard the voice somewhere before, or if somebody/blog/news mentioned x person is doing y, but in the end, I don't usually pay attention. Exception is probably Red Line since they're promoting Kimutaku so much that you can't avoid to not knowing it. :D

05-28-12, 6:19 AM

I tend to check up on the voices after I watch the whole thing.
Or when I hear something familiar.
Meanwhile, in the magical world of anime.

05-28-12, 6:29 AM

There has only been a few times where I've actually looked a voice actors, but I have decided to watch shows because of it.

Sugita, Tomokazu - Since I loved Gintama so much I'd checked other shows in which he had voiced, and from there had found some other interesting shows like Arakawa Under the Bridge which I love
Music & Anime > Everything Else

05-28-12, 10:51 AM

Voice actors have no role in my decision in deciding whether or not I watch a anime. I might have favorite voice actors but I am not going to watch a anime just because a voice actor I like is in it.

Now if there is a actor or actress I just detest in a live action movie or show,I will not watch their movie or show. For example I refuse to watch any Jane Fonda movies due to what she did during the Vietnam war.

The wonderful thing about cartoons especially licensed dubbed Japanese cartoons is the fact there are two sets of voice actors, the dubbed and the Japanese voice actors.So if for some reason I really detest a English voice actor I can switch languages and just watch the subbed version.

05-28-12, 10:58 AM

Voice actor is quite a major role in my opinion as If the character sounds amazing, I would check out other animes that the voice actor has been in

05-28-12, 11:00 AM

Not at all, tbh. They all just sound the same to me. Subbed that is

The only dubbed voice I like is Vic

05-28-12, 11:15 AM

Having good Voice actors does wonders for an anime. I also am quite happy when I hear one of my favourites.

Working'!! and Fairy Tail both have great voice actors IMO.

05-28-12, 11:38 AM

I consider it a bonus if my favourite seiyuus happen to participate in titles that I plan to watch next.
Modified by stillawake, 05-28-12, 11:41 AM

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices