Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
May 28, 2012 3:25 AM

Jan 2011
Day2Dream said:
Grass is always greener on the other side.

Do some research on people who have moved there from abroad already. You'll learn more of the pros and cons. If you're fine with the cons (I personally don't like the Japanese cons) then go ahead.

Is it?

Well, just consider Africa. It's definitely greener.

Japan is rather a good choice. Let's consider some poor sides:
1) Urban Pop Density -> High stress even for a world-class transport system:
1 Tokyo Japan 32,450,000 8,014 4,049
2) Poor future economic trends
Nikkei 225 has fallen over approximately 50% (between June 2007 and December 2008).
3) Xenophobia
In 2005, a United Nations special rapporteur on racism and xenophobia expressed concerns about "deep and profound" racism in Japan and insufficient government recognition of the problem.

But let's be honest: Tokyo is crazy in Population Density. Japan is crazy in Population Density. But there's an ageing society(also a minus). That's a poor trend, but all urban areas have ridiculous population density. We already have structures like the Khalifa. Think if that building housed people with maximal density.

The economy is poor everywhere. Germany? It's still going to be pulled by poor people everywhere else. More often than not a place with good economic trends is one that is a severe outlier.

Many places have xenophobia. There's still black-white(not xenophobia but same issue) in US. People will discriminate simply because of origin.

Japan, on the whole, is a very promising place to live if one finds a way in. It's clearly one of the better places on Earth. This applies, in different ways, to Scandinavian countries always getting 1st on HDI list (Just look at their prisons) or perhaps CanadIa, which I think will be rich with its level of oil reserves.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
May 28, 2012 3:28 AM
Mar 2011
JonyJC said:
link9us said:

"Grow the fuck up" is an insult, its not giving him any information. Unless you want to make enemies on MAL i suggest you watch your tone.

"Grow the fuck up" is not an insult, it is probably the best advice you can give someone who wants to go to Japan based on his love for anime.

i feel the need to agree with link9us here [ thats a rare thing for me
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 28, 2012 6:39 AM

Jan 2010
NicoleB said:
nubmonk said:
Uprooting yourself and moving to a completely different country because of your hobby is fucking dumb. Re-think your situation.

Moving to a new country is in fact something that all people should do in there lives at some point.

If you haven't ever considered something like that, then in my opinion, you should "Re-think your situation."

Never understood people who stay in the same city/country all there lives.

No i agree completely. I just think it's dumb to do it because of your hobby. Like i really like video games but i don't wanna move to LA so i can go to E3 and "be closer to da video games xD". I'm saying to rethink his situation because they should be thinking "Hmmm if i do move there will i be able to get a stable job and not be a homeless gaijin that doesn't understand anybody" as opposed to "I wonder if i can make it to Comiket xDDDD".
May 28, 2012 7:05 AM

Mar 2012
atty said:
NicoleB said:
Moving to a new country is in fact something that all people should do in there lives at some point.

If you haven't ever considered something like that, then in my opinion, you should "Re-think your situation."

If someone is happy with where they are, why should they consider moving elsewhere? Of course, there's the experience of living somewhere new but it's not a necessity of life.

I would only think there's a problem if you're unhappy with where you are and don't consider moving elsewhere.

That is where we disagree, as I do consider it a necessity of life.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 28, 2012 7:20 AM
Jul 2018
NicoleB said:
nubmonk said:
Uprooting yourself and moving to a completely different country because of your hobby is fucking dumb. Re-think your situation.

It's something that you have to devote a big chunk of your life to, it's not really something to go and do to satisfy a small curiosity or desire you have. Not to mention that most countries frown on dual citizenship. Just travel, it's easier.
May 28, 2012 8:24 AM

Mar 2012
sleeplesstown said:
NicoleB said:
nubmonk said:

It's something that you have to devote a big chunk of your life to, it's not really something to go and do to satisfy a small curiosity or desire you have. Not to mention that most countries frown on dual citizenship. Just travel, it's easier.

Yes you do have to devote a large chunk of your life too it but I personally believe that it's something extremely important in someones live to actually go and experience other cultures.

When I'm in my early 20s (It's actually my birthday today!) I'm planning on spending most of my life living in different countries, I actually don't plan on returning "home" for many years, obviously I'll come back at times to see family and such, but I don't plan on living in either the UK or Italy (where I've lived before) at all, at least not for many years.

I want to try living in many many different places.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 28, 2012 8:47 AM

Apr 2012
After reading about xenophobia on this topic, I decided to google it. I read some articles and some experiences from people who moved to Japan.

Well, it looks like it isn't that bad as people say. Apparently, it's indeed more common with the elderly, new generations are more likely to accept different cultures, they even find it interesting. However, it looks like foreigners often have problems with the police. But, unfortunately, this happens in many countries, like US.

Of course this may vary from region to region, but I guess it's not something you should really worry about, if you think about moving to Japan.
May 28, 2012 9:11 AM

Mar 2012
greeko17 said:
After reading about xenophobia on this topic, I decided to google it. I read some articles and some experiences from people who moved to Japan.

Well, it looks like it isn't that bad as people say. Apparently, it's indeed more common with the elderly, new generations are more likely to accept different cultures, they even find it interesting. However, it looks like foreigners often have problems with the police. But, unfortunately, this happens in many countries, like US.

Of course this may vary from region to region, but I guess it's not something you should really worry about, if you think about moving to Japan.

It's definitely been blown out of proportion by people here, I talk to my friend most days on Skype and shes been living in Japan for around 18 months now and shes never said anything to me at all about anyone doing any kind of racism at all towards her.

Obviously it's good to be aware of these things, but let's be serious, you will always come across small-minded people you can't let that stop you from doing something you want.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 28, 2012 9:14 AM

Jun 2008
NicoleB said:
atty said:
NicoleB said:

If someone is happy with where they are, why should they consider moving elsewhere? Of course, there's the experience of living somewhere new but it's not a necessity of life.

I would only think there's a problem if you're unhappy with where you are and don't consider moving elsewhere.

That is where we disagree, as I do consider it a necessity of life.

The only necessity in life is being happy with the life you lived so you can feel satisfied when you close your eyes for good nothing else. If living in one place never bothered you and you where happy then that is just fine.
Your feelings aren't necessities they are just your feelings.

Also the people criticizing him and being harsh on the Op here are the true people that actually help him. There is nothing bad with him dreaming to live in Japan but the thing is his dreaming a Japan from anime, the Japan his dreaming doesn't even exist. At least people being more harsh make him realize of reality and help him from getting a big disappointment and waste his life.
MonadMay 28, 2012 9:18 AM
May 28, 2012 9:39 AM

Sep 2011
OP is typical 15 year old animufanboy. Topic pointless.
May 28, 2012 9:46 AM

Mar 2008
Monad said:

Also the people criticizing him and being harsh on the Op here are the true people that actually help him. There is nothing bad with him dreaming to live in Japan but the thing is his dreaming a Japan from anime, the Japan his dreaming doesn't even exist. At least people being more harsh make him realize of reality and help him from getting a big disappointment and waste his life.

No, the people here criticizing the OP are ones who are making plenty of assumptions and just regurgitating what they tell to everyone who likes anime and considers going to Japan. You're not helping him, you're just pushing your own negative feelings and disappointment onto someone else.

The OP never openly assumed anything about what he thinks Japan is, but actually acknowledged his lack of information regarding actual life in Japan. In return, he gets people who say things like "it's not like anime, grow the fuck up." How insightful and helpful. He came here to help learn what life is like in Japan, and is instead patronized for his lack of knowledge.
May 28, 2012 9:46 AM

Sep 2009
I think the best way to assess whether you would like living in another country is to compare its pros and cons.

Here are some of the cons that come with living in Japan:

• Earthquakes
  • Nuclear Disasters
  • Racism
  • Historically Militant
  • Historically Imperialist
  • Anti-immigration
  • Social Reclusion
  • Collectivist Society
  • Anti-Korean Sentiment
  • US Military Bases
  • Wooden Houses
  • Small cars
  • Deadly Animals
  • Sexual Debauchery
  • Sexism
  • Nepotism
  • Poor Quality of Life
  • Corporate Dominance
  • Economic Collapse
  • Unemployment
  • Capital Punishment
  • Stress
  • Long Working Hours
  • Anti-individualism
  • Political stalemate
  • Censorship
  • Organised Crime
  • Excessive Competition

On the other hand, here are some of the postives:

• Anime
  • Manga
  • Videogames

As you can see, the benefits clearly outweigh the negatives, and you should leave for glorious Nippon as soon as you can, preferably on the next flight.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

May 28, 2012 9:54 AM

Apr 2011
AnnoKano said:
I think the best way to assess whether you would like living in another country is to compare its pros and cons.

• Earthquakes
  • Nuclear Disasters
  • Racism
  • Historically Militant
  • Anti-immigration
  • Social Reclusion
  • Collectivist Society
  • Anti-Korean Sentiment
  • US Military Bases
  • Wooden Houses
  • Small cars
  • Deadly Animals
  • Sexual Debauchery
  • Sexism
  • Nepotism
  • Poor Quality of Life
  • Corporate Dominance
  • Economic Collapse
  • Unemployment
  • Capital Punishment
  • Stress
  • Long Working Hours
  • Anti-individualism
  • Political stalemate
  • Censorship
  • Organised Crime
  • Excessive Competition

• Anime
  • Manga
  • Videogames

As you can see, the benefits clearly outweigh the negatives, and you should leave for glorious Nippon as soon as you can, preferably on the next flight.

I lol'd hard.

Anyways,just go for a trip to Japan. My friend's boyfriend did so, but he got caught up in the whole earthquake thing. Just think real carefully first.
GloriousHawkMay 28, 2012 10:13 AM
May 28, 2012 10:37 AM

Aug 2008
AnnoKano said:

• Earthquakes
  • Nuclear Disasters
  • Racism
  • Historically Militant
  • Anti-immigration
  • Social Reclusion
  • Collectivist Society
  • Anti-Korean Sentiment
  • US Military Bases
  • Wooden Houses
  • Small cars
  • Deadly Animals
  • Sexual Debauchery
  • Sexism
  • Nepotism
  • Poor Quality of Life
  • Corporate Dominance
  • Economic Collapse
  • Unemployment
  • Capital Punishment
  • Stress
  • Long Working Hours
  • Anti-individualism
  • Political stalemate
  • Censorship
  • Organised Crime
  • Excessive Competition

• Anime
  • Manga
  • Videogames

LOL! Funniest post by AnnoKano yet.

To the OP, I am begging you to be fluent in Japanese and visit Japan at least a few times before seriously considering to move there. If possible, get a job in Japan. My family immigrated to the US from Taiwan, and the language, cultural, and job barriers were very hard for us to break, even though my parents understood a little English and have been to the US a few times before we immigrated. And America is supposed to be an immigrant friendly country too. Japan definitely is not one. You're going to have a really hard time if you're not being rational here.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
May 28, 2012 12:07 PM

Mar 2012
AnnoKano said:

• Earthquakes
  • Nuclear Disasters
  • Racism
  • Historically Militant
  • Anti-immigration
  • Social Reclusion
  • Collectivist Society
  • Anti-Korean Sentiment
  • US Military Bases
  • Wooden Houses
  • Small cars
  • Deadly Animals
  • Sexual Debauchery
  • Sexism
  • Nepotism
  • Poor Quality of Life
  • Corporate Dominance
  • Economic Collapse
  • Unemployment
  • Capital Punishment
  • Stress
  • Long Working Hours
  • Anti-individualism
  • Political stalemate
  • Censorship
  • Organised Crime
  • Excessive Competition

• Anime
  • Manga
  • Videogames

You could make a list like that for every country in the world.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 28, 2012 12:42 PM

Jan 2011
AnnoKano said:

• Anime
  • Manga
  • Videogames

I can get those over here no need to go live in Japan
May 28, 2012 12:56 PM
Jul 2009
The people saying "you'll grow out of it" and things are like that failures. Do not listen to them. There's nothing more powerful than a dream. I've been to Japan and it was everything I wanted and more.

The people discouraging you have no aspirations, no talent, and they're trying to drag you down with them. Don't even respond to them.

You can and will go if it's truly what you want. It's not a terrible place like the people who are jealous make it out to be. Not one bit.

I'm really laughing at all the "Japan is really xenophobic and has demons and you'll die and and and" from people who have NEVER been there before. Typical fake internet experts.
May 28, 2012 1:01 PM

Sep 2009
NicoleB said:

Perhaps the point then is that summarising a country into a list of pros and cons, or facts about the country in question cannot possibly provide an adequate picture of what it would actually be like to live there, and thus we should not only try and learn more about it for ourselves and perhaps try spending time in the country or with people of that country before making an absolute decision to move there.

JonyJC said:
AnnoKano said:

• Anime
  • Manga
  • Videogames

I can get those over here no need to go live in Japan

Your ability to understand subtext and implicit points impresses me to no end.

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."

May 28, 2012 1:03 PM

Apr 2012
yourelagginme said:
You can and will go if it's truly what you want. It's not a terrible place like the people who are jealous make it out to be. Not one bit.

I agree with this. But, just out of curiosity, how long did you stay in japan? ^^
If you want more information on the pros and cons, here are a few websites.

http://www.jref.com/forum/japan-practical-2/what-pros-cons-living-working-japan-46925/
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100701093940AAqxNTd
^^ I hope this helped to the person who made this topic.
rodentqween99May 28, 2012 1:07 PM
May 28, 2012 1:05 PM

Mar 2012
AnnoKano said:
NicoleB said:

Perhaps the point then is that summarising a country into a list of pros and cons, or facts about the country in question cannot possibly provide an adequate picture of what it would actually be like to live there, and thus we should not only try and learn more about it for ourselves and perhaps try spending time in the country or with people of that country before making an absolute decision to move there.

You can only know how somewhere is, by actually living there for a lengthy period of time.

Naturally getting more knowledge before going is far and away the best idea and I somewhat agree with the people that recommend going on holiday/vacation there first is a better idea than just straight out moving there first.

Even then that won't give you a complete picture of how its like to live anyway, a lot of liking a place simply comes down to luck, meeting people you enjoy the company of is a big part of that.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 28, 2012 1:06 PM

Jul 2007
yourelagginme said:
There's nothing more powerful than a dream.

There are plenty of things more powerful than dreams.
May 28, 2012 1:09 PM

Sep 2009
NicoleB said:

You can only know how somewhere is, by actually living there for a lengthy period of time.

Naturally getting more knowledge before going is far and away the best idea and I somewhat agree with the people that recommend going on holiday/vacation there first is a better idea than just straight out moving there first.

Even then that won't give you a complete picture of how its like to live anyway, a lot of liking a place simply comes down to luck, meeting people you enjoy the company of is a big part of that.

I can't help but feel you are still missing the point of what I was doing by giving that huge list... But I don't know how I can make it any clearer.

Scud said:
yourelagginme said:

Well played squire, well played.

WORKS EVERY TIME!

May 28, 2012 1:12 PM
Jul 2009
Scud said:
yourelagginme said:

If anything that supports my point about human aspiration (and dreams by extension of this philosophy) being the most powerful single thing if the pinnacle of destructive technology can't stop a group of people.

You tried, but you get a 4/10.
May 28, 2012 1:12 PM

Sep 2007
yourelagginme said:

Pretty sure money is a lot more powerful than a dream. And there's hardly enough of it to go around these days.
May 28, 2012 1:18 PM
Jul 2009
Wasabi said:
yourelagginme said:

Pretty sure money is a lot more powerful than a dream. And there's hardly enough of it to go around these days.

Money is the byproduct of human aspiration and by extension dreams. Dreams create money.
May 28, 2012 1:19 PM

Sep 2007
yourelagginme said:
Wasabi said:
yourelagginme said:

Money is the byproduct of human aspiration and by extension dreams. Dreams create money.

And yet people's dreams are continuously held down by money.
May 28, 2012 1:24 PM

Mar 2012
AnnoKano said:
I can't help but feel you are still missing the point of what I was doing by giving that huge list... But I don't know how I can make it any clearer.

It doesn't matter, as I said you can make those lists out of everywhere in the world, they are largely meaningless. There are hundreds and thousands of things that can happen to someone by moving aboard, worrying about them all is a waste of energy.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 28, 2012 1:44 PM

Jan 2011
I think people are forgetting that the Japanese aren't as xenophobic as they once were 5-10 years previously, so it's not too much of a bad thing anymore; the main problem is the police with foreigners. From my experience they seem more ready to come up to you and try their English with you, but of course they'd more readily go up to you if you can show you can speak Japanese too (except those that respond in English after you speak Japanese to).

I don't know, from personal experience this is what I've found. It's an enjoyable place to be if you can get over the radiation from flying a plane to Japan and the general difficulty with police, although I must say it's a lot easier for a Caucasian than a black person when around the police, typically because they'll get a bit racist and assume you're an illegal immigrant and demand an alien registration card.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.