Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 23, 2008 2:23 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is the start of a great classic "Rose of Versailles". In this episode, Oscar is born and prejudged by her father to live her childhood, adolescence and adult life as a Male in order to fulfill his dreams of an heir to continue the family responsibility towards the French court and the military. Oscar is torn apart by the dilemma of choosing between ladyship, womanhood and Love and between her enforced duties.
I will Try to realize my dreams with someone precious to me tomorrow.
Now I will set forth on a new life with this in mind. (Saiunkoku Monogatari S2 Ending)

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/yma981
http://myanimelist.net/profile/yma981
Oct 19, 2008 8:38 AM

Aug 2008
I was surprised how easy it was to get into such an old series as this. The only other series I've seen this old is the original Gundam. A pretty good first episode, I picked the series up after finishing Revolutionary Girl Utena and learning that this show was a pretty big influence for that show. I can definitely see why, not only b/c of the premise, but the character designs as well. The most important thing was that it wasn’t boring or confusing, like 75% of first episodes in anime.

I laughed at how Gerodere got pwned twice!

It's ironic that thanks to Gerodere’s recommendation to the king, not only is Oscar saved, but she is given the position of commander of the Royal Guard.

DonKangolJonesOct 19, 2008 8:42 AM
Nov 13, 2008 2:06 PM

Apr 2007
That was actually a pretty good first episode. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I'm hoping the rest will be just as good.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Dec 28, 2008 10:59 PM

May 2007
I liked this episode, I hope the rest of the show can live up, I don't normally watch these old classics.
My anime list
Nov 2, 2009 4:34 AM

Mar 2007
Whoa this is much better than I expected. I feel I'll love this anime.
Sep 22, 2010 11:09 AM

Sep 2009
Nice opening ep (Y)
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Sep 1, 2011 1:50 PM

Feb 2010
Very interesting first episode, I already love the old servant lady, I hope she will be a part of the cast for a while.

Also I find it confusing that sometimes they refer to Oscar as he, sometimes as she, though in the end everyone seems to know that it's a girl.

And I loved when Andre just gave her the fist after she slapped his hand away ^^.

Overall a very good first episode, I'm already interested in the main characters which usually does not happen so fast.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 11, 2011 7:05 PM

Sep 2008
tainteddonut said:
That was actually a pretty good first episode. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I'm hoping the rest will be just as good.

I second all three of those sentences.

I expected to find it ridiculous or laughable, and to be seriously put off by the art style and animation, but... I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It seems like a promising series. I look forward to watching the second!
Jan 1, 2012 6:45 AM

Jan 2010
I love it when women can beat the shit out of men.

Really interesting first episode. The art didn't bother me as much as I thought it would (even if it is a bit hard to get used to) and I really enjoyed the ED theme. I can't wait to watch the rest.
Jan 15, 2012 9:33 PM
Jan 2012
Wow, the quality of this show is breathtaking from the get go, compared to many modern shows. The characters actually feel and act human and already display complex characteristics.

Already do we have a backstab where the defeated duelist takes advantage over Oscar's laconic uttering earlier. Belittled he takes to cowards' way in executing his revenge, and oh does she pay a hefty price.

If the remaining episodes are as intriguing I must start stalling to not run out too fast.
Jan 22, 2012 11:10 PM

Feb 2009
Oh, I laughed a little, but just because the style is so old-school and the characters reactions were so different from your average modern anime. I just love watching 60-70-80s TV productions (like original Star Trek or Doctor Who series), they are so amazing and unique.
The story sounds really good and Oscar is such a strong character, I must say she is one of the reasons I wanted to watch this show. André, my baby, is a plus! ♡
Jun 19, 2012 8:22 AM
Jul 2018
Jarjeyes slapping Oscar and the fight by the water were two distinct "Oh shit" moments for me. I'm a little surprised at how much they got done in one episode. A strong start, I hope it keeps up.
Dec 10, 2012 10:47 PM

Sep 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Also I find it confusing that sometimes they refer to Oscar as he, sometimes as she, though in the end everyone seems to know that it's a girl.

Probably because of the quirks of the Japanese language, I suspect. They don't have male and female pronouns when one talks about somebody else, causing the translators to get confused on how to refer to Oscar.

Like a few others here, I began watching this show because I'm a fan of Revolutionary Girl Utena and wanted to see the show that inspired it. Firstly, it's definitely a product of its time, with a lot of 70's qualities to it. But, through all that, you can see so many similarities between Rose of Versailles and Utena.

I came in knowing a few of the details, such as Oscar's situation and the time period that it was occurring in, and I could clearly see the parallels there. But I didn't expect so many in the show itself. The visuals, the characters, even a little bit of the music, they all were borrowed heavily by Ikuhara, 20 years later.

With all that, I'm interested in what's going to happen next. I really want to see where things are going to go with this (not to mention how historically accurate the made it).
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Feb 7, 2013 11:33 PM

Sep 2010
Oscar is such a BAMF and gorgeous at the same time.

Wow a classic that actually has an amazing first episode. I really hope it holds up the rest of the 39 episodes.

5/5
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 27, 2013 11:18 PM

Jun 2009
One of the greatest first episodes in anime.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 14, 2013 11:08 PM
Jul 2018
This episode give great first impression.
I really like the main lead oscar.
Jun 16, 2013 6:08 AM

Feb 2013
really good first episode and nice opening and ending song :) looking forward to watching the rest of the serie
~If only sorrow could build a staircase, our tears could show the way.
I would climb my way to heaven, and bring him back home again.~

Sep 11, 2013 7:17 PM
Aug 2011
DonKangolJones said:
I was surprised how easy it was to get into such an old series as this.

Seconding this, it was surprisingly easy to get into.
Anyway, yeah nice start. I have a feeling I will love this or at least thoroughly enjoy it.
Oct 6, 2013 2:11 AM

Jul 2008
Considering the age of this anime, I got hooked immediately. Took me long enough to start this series, but I'm looking forward to it. Let's hope the rest of the series it at least on par with the first episode.
Nov 16, 2013 9:49 PM

Jun 2012
I knew at once that I would without a doubt drop the anime before finishing it. I just hate the type of art it uses. The plot, I sorta understood because of what the episode said and some background knowledge. The plot is totally interesting, but I think I hate everything else about it. The characters personalities are almost as bad as the art. Most of them are annoying and the rest are super annoying.
Nov 17, 2013 4:26 PM

Nov 2011
SusuBitesYou said:
I knew at once that I would without a doubt drop the anime before finishing it. I just hate the type of art it uses. The plot, I sorta understood because of what the episode said and some background knowledge. The plot is totally interesting, but I think I hate everything else about it. The characters personalities are almost as bad as the art. Most of them are annoying and the rest are super annoying.

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKhxjfG03A[/flash]
Nov 17, 2013 4:32 PM

Nov 2011
SusuBitesYou said:

Enlighten us, young blood.
So apparently Oscar is annoying, even though she created the strong female character for anime, so without her, we wouldn’t have Nausicaa or Utena, but are okay with Spinzaku from Code Geass? LOGIC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKhxjfG03A This post in a nutshell. It’s hard to take this seriously and when you gave Air, Code Geass, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, and Sword Art Online a 10, you’re pretty much asking for face palms.
Jan 2, 2014 4:14 PM

Nov 2011
Well that was interesting. Took me awhile to get used to the artwork but the characters are presented well. The setting makes itself quite suitable too for its time age.

Pretty good episode so far.
Jan 3, 2014 3:36 PM

Jul 2012
Hmm.. Don't know why I put this off for such a long time! Found the art to be beautiful, and the plot drew me in so much that by the time the episode was finish I was surprised by how quick it felt.
Mar 11, 2014 2:52 AM

Aug 2013
^Haha same. It's been in my PTW for ages. Having watched Onii-sama e before this, I know what to expect from this series and I'm really looking forward to watching more of this. I probably should have watched this first just so I get the order of Ikeda Ryoko's works right :p

So I'm guessing Oscar is the grandma of all princely and strong female characters. It's only the first episode but I'm already rooting for her.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 4, 2014 2:48 PM

Jan 2014
Beautiful story. A classic I unfortunately haven't had an opportunity to watch earlier..~
Nice development of the plot even in the first episode. Looking forward to the next one.
Sep 20, 2014 10:33 PM

Mar 2012
Always takes a bit of time to get used to such old school animation xD

Her father is so selfish, raising his daughter as a boy just because he wanted to have a son is pretty messed up.
Sep 24, 2014 4:15 AM

Jan 2014
Why have I only discovered this anime now? The art, the music...I love it. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but I love the feel of this anime.
Sep 29, 2014 6:05 PM

Aug 2014
The art looks old but it's still very beautiful.
Dec 10, 2014 3:52 PM

Dec 2012
tainteddonut said:
Feb 15, 2015 8:38 PM

Jul 2013
Well the first episode seemed okay so far. I hope it gets more interesting.
Feb 16, 2015 12:16 PM

Aug 2013
Really good first episode I love the art it reminds me so much of Saint Seiya and its very "interesting" hearing french nobility using japanese honorifics.
Feb 21, 2015 12:45 PM
Jul 2014
First episode had me hooked. I just wish I had watched this earlier.
May 25, 2015 6:35 PM

Jan 2010
I've waited years to watch this, because I had a feeling I would love this. Let see how it rolls.

Okay, after watching the first episode, I don't know where to start. 27 years before Le Chevalier D'Eon and 18 years before Revolutionary Girl Utena, there was this piece of work. I have high expectations, and some of them have been met just by this episode alone. Still, the timing is far too premature to start praising too show, but I'll say this: I hope I don't lose sleep marathoning Rose of Versailles.
Oct 21, 2015 7:11 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I got into this show after hearing good things about it. And no doubt it was good first episode. It was so easy to get into despite the old art. Art wise I don't expect it to be good so it doesn't bother me. People complaining about art in this show should realize this is a show from way back in the days, of course art would not be like the ones in the modern shows nowadays.

Moving to the episode, Oscar is sure interesting. Forced to take the role of a male and having to make a tough decision between being a lady or listening to her father's orders of being commander of the military.

You also don't see this nowadays, male and female literally punching the hell out of each other. Oscar's strong personality is something I like about her.

Jan 4, 2016 8:55 AM
Nov 2014
Dat vastly outdated fighting animations tho. Had me laughing for a few minutes.
Jan 11, 2016 5:23 AM

Jan 2014
i tried watch this anime. very interesting and classic.
Mar 2, 2016 8:14 AM

Jun 2015
I like how the focuss is put in Oscar since the beginning, in the manga everything starts with Marie Antoinette and Oscar's first appearance is almost anecdotic.

It also looks and sounds really well.
Mar 8, 2016 9:31 PM
Nov 2015
Pooh, really enjoyed that first episode. I've read a couple books on the Fr ch Revolution, so am interested in it from that angle, plus I love 79s and 80s anime style, and to boot the characterization so far is multi-tiered and interesting. Yep, pretty sure I'm gonna love his one,
May 18, 2016 7:36 PM

Feb 2013
That opening scene had me laughing. It's a boy! LMAO

I didn't really like this. The directing style isn't really my thing.
Jun 6, 2016 11:43 PM

Jan 2013
A surprisingly strong start for a 40 episode series. Oscar is impressive, Andre sympathetic and they seem to have the right amount of chemistry from the very first episode, which I feel is definitely going to be one of the features of this anime.

The tone is quite melodramatic at times, and in a good way. As long as it doesn't go overboard...
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 7, 2017 10:35 PM

Jun 2016
Wow, I think I'm hooked already. The setting is excellent, and Oscar seems like a badass MC. Plus I'm a huge sucker for those classic 70s OPs, dat bass!
Sep 21, 2017 1:57 PM
May 2012
don't know why but the opening reminded me of assassin's creed 2's opening.
good first episode, and i really like the background musics.
Nov 7, 2017 1:45 AM

Jun 2013
This looks pretty nice. Audio quality isn't bad; I expected a lot more compression and artifacts, due to its age. I wonder if the visual quality can keep up for 40 episodes, without recycled cuts. I'm not very into the hyper-emphasized drama (feels too old-school, and yet not absurdly over-the-top like JoJo). But I did like, for example, that scene where Oscar and her best friend were fighting in that secluded location.
Dec 10, 2017 12:37 PM

Nov 2016
Really awesome art and I'm also fond of the setting,this is most likely going to be great.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 7, 2018 11:46 AM

Nov 2012
Really strong first episode.I for one wasn't a big fan of Utena which was inspired by this, but was definitely a fan of this first episode.
Oct 20, 2018 8:12 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I wasn't expecting so much to happen in episode 1. Heck I wasn't expecting to be overwhelmed like I did but here I am. So excited for this.
Oct 21, 2018 7:24 PM

Oct 2016
Stripes said:
I wasn't expecting so much to happen in episode 1. Heck I wasn't expecting to be overwhelmed like I did but here I am. So excited for this.
I started watching this about 20 days ago. I just finished it today and saw that someone commented on episode 1. This show gets slow at time, but keep with it, it truly is incredible.
Jan 5, 2019 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
Ah, gender roles the anime.

I wonder why Oscar didn't hurt her face when her father pushed her down the stairs.

It broke me a little when she decided her path with putting the military uniform on herself thus throwing away her womanhood. She's still such a beautiful rose.
Shame on her father, really. If it wasn't for him, she wouldn't live a life of a boy.

It was a good first episode. I'm sold to watch further.
Feb 23, 2019 5:46 AM

Mar 2012
It's annoying to see people being greedy for a male child but this man went too far. I like Oscar, really interesting to see how this goes.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 32 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Nov 30, 2008

48 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 4, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Sep 6, 2011

24 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 16 Discussion

MagEarwhig - May 26, 2009

33 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 4:32 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 15 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Oct 19, 2008

42 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 4:05 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 14 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Oct 19, 2008

45 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 1, 10:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.