Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 20, 2014 4:40 AM

Jul 2013
"Those eyebrows" lmao!
Sep 23, 2014 11:16 AM

Jul 2014
This anime constantly have be spouting out WTF but at the same time laughing like crazy

haha the guitar pun & nosebleeds was too much lol
Sep 29, 2014 7:43 AM

Jan 2014
crimsonredwings said:
smokes said:

but damn the background music ROCKS

seriously, the music is awesome!

This is one crazy anime.
And I love it.
Plus: the Flying V !! (Y)
Oct 8, 2014 2:20 AM

Oct 2013
かこいいいいいいい
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Nov 2, 2014 10:06 AM

Jan 2013
Weirdest anime I've seen. I basically was lost throughout the whole episode, the only scene I enjoyed was the last baseball scene. That was animated well and directed greatly.
Nov 17, 2014 8:42 AM

Jun 2014
That stubble massage was dead weird.

Nov 18, 2014 4:00 PM

Sep 2014
THat was weird
Dec 21, 2014 2:59 AM

May 2011
The main crux of this episode, which disappointed me slightly, was ecchi. The references were so uncanny (the sexual intercourse innuendo, and the reference to Naota's 'D' (the guitar) during the part Haruko was plucking out of his head), and they were kind of unnecessary for an anime ending off in 2 more episodes. Nevertheless, they covered a bit on Haruko's alien past and hints were given about her mission on Earth.

Additionally, although subtle, this episode gave me the impression that Naota actually liked Haruko, and was jealous of his father's relationship with her (which proved to be a farce). And for those who just watched this with an empty head (I'm referring to those first few comments!), that 'father' was just a robot created by Haruko as a pawn to spawn (no pun intended) mechas from people's heads (similar to Naota's case). Her intention is still unknown now, which I believe they will touch upon in the following couple of episodes. Basically, HIS FATHER DID NOT DIE. He was just found near-dead and dehydrated but got revived by his son.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 27, 2014 5:51 PM

Jul 2014
Whats the analogy of him swinging the bat? I don't really understand it
Feb 20, 2015 5:40 PM

Aug 2014
There was a lot to think about in this episode
First off, I just want to say that this kid reminds me of Araragi because every girl he meets starts liking him.
I've heard that this show has a deeper meaning, so, this episode got me thinking with a few of the events in it. The part with his dad could have been a psychological test of some-sort. It was to see how the kid would react if his dad was doing those things and he ended up being some what jealous but in the end he picked his real dad rather than the fake dad. That part reminded me of the part in Gurren Lagann when
The man questioning him brought that out of him. One reaction of him, which maybe is an alternate version of him, was when he broke the TV in distress. Another alternate reality could have been where things were in black and white and it showed that his dad was dead (unless it was a nose bleed that just meant that he was doing something perverted)
Another thing that I noticed was the fact that the motorcycle girl kept saying you were my first to the kid in the random black and white scenes. I'm thinking that maybe she liked his older brother, but the kid isn't his brother, so maybe, they are both the same person but in different realities. After all, the motorcycle girl said she could pull things from the future or past from his head. I think that the girl that liked the kid because of his brother could be the motorcycle girl, but younger, potentially from the past.
Maybe that was all just some bullshit that came from nowhere, I don't know, but I just like to theorize.
Feb 27, 2015 9:03 AM

Apr 2012
tc said:
I've never been this lost when watching an anime. I wonder if they're doing it on purpose x.x
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Mar 21, 2015 6:25 AM
Feb 2015
wtf did I just watch @@
Apr 21, 2015 1:06 PM

Oct 2014
All of the girl's nosebleeds were hilarious xD Naota swinging the bat was also a good scene and all of the sexual innuendos at the beginning were kind of funny as well
Sep 16, 2015 6:23 PM

Jun 2012
BRSlove said:

The director spends some time explaining this in the commentary. I'll just paste what he said.

Ah. Well here, too, I'm making a distinction
between people who "swing their bat" and people who "don't swing their bat."
That is, up until now, even though Naota from the start, has been carrying around the bat, he hasn't even swung it once.
And he gets three outs.
He doesn't want to... Well, not that he doesn't want to...
He doesn't want to know the results of swinging the bat.
He doesn't want to know his limits.
As long as he doesn't swing, he knows that maybe if he does, there's the possibility that maybe he will get a home run.
If he doesn't swing his bat, he'll just strike out.
But that's better than striking out by swinging.
Because then he really strikes out.
If he strikes out by not swinging, there's still the possibility that had he swung, he would have gotten a home run.
It's a bit of an excuse. But it gives him a sense of security.
That's how he chooses his life. Or he has to swing the bat and risk getting a home run or a strikeout.
And as for Mamimi, the reason she keeps Naota close by is precisely because he's the kind of guy who won't swing his bat.
And Mamimi is... disappointed. The Naota who would swing his bat is a bit troublesome.
Until now, Naota has been very cute. She made out with him.
But before, Mamimi controlled the relationship.
But if Naota becomes a man who would swing his bat, he can choose for himself.
Then, Naota has control.
And for Mamimi, this is a bad thing.
But for Naota, he's grown up.
Nov 14, 2015 8:29 PM

Feb 2015
Billzor said:
Crazy ep, noticed that Mamimi dropped her panties when she heard that canti was gonna be in the game XD

...what?

Kintrex said:
BRSlove said:

The director spends some time explaining this in the commentary. I'll just paste what he said.

between people who swing their bat and people who "don't swing their bat.
That is, up until now, even though Naota from the start, has been carrying around the bat, he hasn't even swung it once.
And he gets three outs.
As long as he doesn't swing, he knows that maybe if he does, there's the possibility that maybe he will get a home run.
If he strikes out by not swinging, there's still the possibility that had he swung, he would have gotten a home run.
That's how he chooses his life. Or he has to swing the bat and risk getting a home run or a strikeout.
And as for Mamimi, the reason she keeps Naota close by is precisely because he's the kind of guy who won't swing his bat.
And Mamimi is... disappointed. The Naota who would swing his bat is a bit troublesome.
Then, Naota has control.

yeaaa still don't get it. don't care tho :P
----
those nosebleeds definitely made me laugh lol!
and the BG music when the giant baseball came...AWESOME.
what was even more awesome was when the ball was flung back. THAT ANIMATION.
and the ED gets me everytime...so good, LOVE hearing after every ep!

best ep so far.
Nov 21, 2015 5:55 PM
Jul 2015
The second episode was the only that really confused me, I've been having a great time besides.
Mar 30, 2016 4:40 PM

Feb 2013
Why did they get a nosebleed when she got that guitar out of his head,it was gross.
This episode was gross.
Apr 25, 2016 8:54 PM

Apr 2013
Kintrex said:
BRSlove said:

between people who "swing their bat" and people who "don't swing their bat."
And he gets three outs.
Then, Naota has control.

Thanks for that! I only vaguely understood the bat analogy, but it looks like I wasn't that far off. This episode is the one that has confused me the most by far. It would be a lot easier if the story was entirely metaphorical/symbolic, but then they added in the eyebrow dude and his organisation and I just lost it. I'm going to have to re-watch this episode sometime so I can truly understand the more intricate parts of it.
May 1, 2016 11:27 AM
Sep 2015
I was close to drop the series, but this episode made me want to finish. Those sexual suggestions and that apparently, Naota is interested in her, not even talking about that crazy thing around his father and the giant baseball...

I think I understood a bit more, whatever chaotic it still is.
Jul 17, 2016 10:15 PM

Sep 2013
meh.....just total and complete meh-ness.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Sep 29, 2016 5:17 PM

Jul 2014
lol he has big eyebrows that's funny 👌👌👌 some funny shit fam 👌👌👌 so funny 👌👌👌 comedy gold indeed
Oct 2, 2016 8:11 PM
Jul 2016
This anime has so much hidden meaning and if you catch it, it is great!
Jan 2, 2017 3:54 PM

Jan 2016
Complete fuckin madness
Jul 11, 2017 5:04 AM

Jul 2008
Man some stuff just doesn't make any sense.

And also eyebrows.
Aug 25, 2017 1:33 PM
Mar 2017
Minami seemed disappointed to see that takkun batting ... it is a reference that takkun is becoming more mature, and minami can not control the "relationship" anymore ...

9:30 JAJA, when he told him about the robot being in the game ... and then they showed the background panties thrown

The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Sep 19, 2017 3:32 AM

Jun 2016
Do I have to be some sort of genius to understand the plot of this anime or where it's going? Lmfao. Wheezing.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Nov 18, 2017 2:53 PM

Oct 2017
I thought it was going to being one of those, you have to watch it to the end or almost to the end to understand what the hell is going on type shows...
either that or youd just never know lmao i was worried itd be the later glad it was the former...
Like a mystery except its not a mystery book you trying to figure out the fucking story to begin with is the damn mystery lmfao...
Love this show, can't believe it took so me so many years to finally watch and damn the guitar soundtrack is just epicness through and through, watched the first yesterday and the other three episodes in a row just now lol.
Jan 13, 2018 3:15 AM

Aug 2007
This is a pretty important episode where things start to make sense, specifically during the conversation between Amarao and Naota.

He explained that certain people have N.O. channels that can be opened through one's head and Haruko is using Naoto because of this ability. She is in search for Atomsk, an all powerful pirate king, and is looking for him through these channels.

Haruko is also testing to see if other humans have the correct N.O. channels, which is what Naoto walked into, believing Haruko and his dad were having sex, when she was instead looking at his N.O. channel compatibility. It doesn't work out so she just... shoves his dad into the closet and makes a replica robot of his dad, haha.

Amarao knows all this information because he's the commander of the Interstellar Immigration... and some unexplained past :0?

Hopefully that clears up some of the confusion!

Mar 7, 2018 6:54 AM

Apr 2016
"It's a sinker"

Best line in the series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2018 8:29 AM

Nov 2011
Madness in the pure state, despite the narration leaps in a frenetic way from a situation to another, always returns to the "place of crime". However, there is always a logical thread in what happens. The character of Haru is the best ever.
Apr 13, 2018 3:40 AM

Sep 2017
So, this episode is on sex. Girls got nosebleed because this episode is based on sex and nothing else.

The episode sucks like all previous episodes. And finally the MC anderstands Haru's pain, because why not? Shitty plot.

While watching this episode, I bent away from the screen so much that my back bent over the chair and my head touched the ground. Because I couldn't focus on even one single thing in the show.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 14, 2018 12:43 PM

Feb 2018
Wow, that was confusing (obviously most of it was sexual)
I guess like every Gainax show ever, this needs rewatching to be understood completely xD
Nov 25, 2018 1:49 PM
Oct 2018
wtf is going on with his daddd
Dec 26, 2018 3:26 PM

Dec 2018
First episode that wasn't up it's own ass with artsy fartsy bs.
They did a good job.
Still a lot of unanswered questions, I still appreciate the art style, but the end goal will ultimately determine my final score. I'm rewatching, it's been so many years, now I actually get it. Let's see where it goes.
Mar 31, 2019 10:32 PM

Oct 2017
If there is one thing I love most about this episode, it's the bat analogy. Good to get some explanation on N.O.
Jun 21, 2019 5:49 AM

Oct 2009
I've never been so lost either. At least I had some hunches and possible explanations so far for previous episodes, but here, I'm so lost I'm not even sure I'm on earth anymore.

Still I'm enjoying it a lot.

What the.... how did.....Wut....

Jun 30, 2019 9:42 AM

Sep 2017
Haruko going "Thank you, thank you" resonates with me, and I'm not particularly sure why. I have a hypothesis that Haruko is Saitama's little sister or something. That's the only explanation I can find as to why she is so strong (see: last two minutes of this episode). 44-0. Disgusting. They had to get mercy ruled. "Where did she come from, Coach?" Brilliant question. That's an interesting curveball. I feel like a medical robot playing softball is against the rules, but that may just be me. Probably the weirdest massage I have ever seen. Nice camera angles during that massage sequence. Is that how you are supposed to eat eggs? TIL. I'll go do it with my little brother and sister. "Super spicy curry bread" sounds nasty. I'm not the biggest fan of spicy foods either, though. I always liked the motherly relationship Haruko has with Naota. Was she giving good batting advice? I'm not into baseball so I can't really tell. Mamimi was quick to betray poor Naota after hearing about Canti playing baseball. I'd do the same though, so I can't really fault her. Canti is best girl, after all. I had no idea what was going on with Naota apparently hitting his dad with a baseball bat, so I'm just going to brush over that part. Even a robot can't handle Haruko's pitches. That was the oddest interrogation I have ever seen. Even when this show does some worldbuilding I end up confused. Looks like it wasn't that difficult to rehydrate his real father. The bloody noses were funny. I love how she ditched him. I go back to my hypothesis that Haruko = Saitama's imouto.
Jul 2, 2019 3:48 PM

Aug 2017
This anime is pure greatness. I can't say a single bad thing about FLCL. Hideaki Anno playing Miyu Miyu is just amazing, he's so good as a cat!
Also, I found the episode commentaries from the director, and the one for ep. 4 says that this episode was the second time when Mamimi lost her panties... So I was like, "wait, when was the first time?" and tried searching the previous episodes for an hour or so, to no result :-[ Maybe it was a translator's mistake after all
Aug 15, 2019 9:04 AM
Dec 2018
Axle_Starr said:
The dad's 'corpse' was re-animated. I don't think he actually died, just kinda got....dehydrated.....or something

But he said I was dead for sometime.
Nov 29, 2019 4:24 AM

Dec 2008
Bororus_Rooroo said:
Axle_Starr said:
The dad's 'corpse' was re-animated. I don't think he actually died, just kinda got....dehydrated.....or something

But he said I was dead for sometime.

Excuse delay

Yeah, I remember that line. But it wouldn't be the first time an in-universe character got something wrong about it, not even in this series (ie. Amarao describing Atomsk and/or Haruko's connection to him). Also, if he had actually died, it's extremely odd to me that he himself immediately declared that. If he's dead, it's not like his mind was conscious in there going 'hey...I'm dead...'
"I'll take a potato chip....AND EAT IT!!!!"
Mar 5, 2020 12:57 PM

Aug 2011
dekopinn said:
migohunter said:
Clearly the weirdest story of puberty ever.

I'd say it's the most comprehensive and accurate.
Apr 1, 2020 1:28 PM

Jan 2014
i am even more lost than before lmfao
May 10, 2020 3:18 AM

Feb 2020
A lot happened in this ep and a lot of info has been given, both for the weird story itself and for the reality behind the over-the-top metaphores.
For the actual story, we learned that Haruko apparently planned a space terrorist attack in order for Naota to "swing the bat". But also that she uses people's heads to teleport stuff, like the guitars or the robots apparently (which means they're not a creation of the actual individual, it's all Haruko's doing). But it doesn't work for everyone, as seen with the father. I rewatched some scenes of the first ep before watching this one in order to understand things better and I realized that Haruko actually said interesting stuff I forgot. When she first met Naota and hit him with her bike, she then freaked out due to thinking she killed him and she added that she killed him just when she finally met him, which means she was looking for him and went for him on purpose, though while hitting him was part of her plan, knocking him out apparently wasn't, which is why she hit him with her guitar once he woke up. The first hit with the bike didn't lead for the horn to appear.
When she was talking to Naota in his room, she also said she was an alien (which is why Naota called her like that last episode). At first I thought she was messing with him, but now it looks like it really is the case.
She seems to have quite an obsession with making Naota "swing the bat" though. It looks like it's been her entire life goal in the first three episodes and she finally achieved it in this ep, which led for quite a reaction from her. She's a bit (or maybe not just a bit) insane, isn't she ?
Now I wonder where she's taking him. I also wonder why exactly does she have this obsession. I guess she'll coach him more but I don't get what makes her want to do that. I'll definitely have to rewatch this show once I'm done, good thing it's only 6 episodes long.
Now in terms of metaphor, there is also a lot to say. This time the show isn't at all hiding it, it is a metaphor for puberty and sexuality. The heads are a metaphor for the... Well, let's call it the way it's called, genital parts.
"Swinging the bat" definitely refers to having a sexual relationship.
But consequently, it leads for Haruko to come off as very, very disturbing.
She's a sex addict, no need to hide it, she totally is a sex addict, a pro. But she's also someone who apparently seeks for people to open up to this side of themselves. Because this part of her clearly makes her happy, as seen in the last scene when she bursts in hysterical laughters after Naota's narrator comment about how "swinging the bat" must make her feel like. She wants for others to feel that way too but I definitely don't believe it's just a pure will to make people happy, she's completely messed up and doesn't strike me as the selfless type (even though she showed a more gentle side towards Naota in this episode). But consequently it makes her come off as much more than just a sex addict, but an actual r*pist and a pedophile. I really hope I misunderstood that part, especially considering how she also clearly has a sexual relationship with Naota's dad and it's not at all hidden.
But since this episode was also about Naota being jealous of his father for having this kind of relationship with Haruko when she told him he was the one she wanted to do things with makes me worried. I don't believe the show's purposely making Haruko be a pedo and a r*pist but she still comes off as such which is super creepy.
It's pretty clear to me that Haruko is basically a sexual coach but everything is wrong here, everything. I REALLY hope I'm viewing things the wrong way.
And don't get me started with Naota murdering his father without knowing that this is a mannequin and that the real one is willingly being held captive by Haruko... I don't want to think about it.
Other than that, the conversation between Haruko and Naota in the street gave me pretty big Madoka and Monogatari vibes. I wonder if Shaft got its inspiration from this show.
Jul 27, 2020 4:58 AM
Jul 2018
WHAT WAS THIS?!?!?!?
Dec 23, 2020 2:34 AM

May 2020
The animation is LIT and that dude's eyebrows lol...

The scenes also reminded me of Eva
Dec 23, 2020 8:31 AM

Nov 2015
the storyboard to this episode must have been incredible to present to the higher executives of the studio
Feb 24, 2021 6:59 PM

Feb 2017
Why is this a harem

Mar 19, 2021 4:02 PM

Jul 2016
The "Dementia" tag sure played its role this episode, huh?
Mar 31, 2021 7:10 AM

Jun 2016
Well, that ep was... ehm, interesting. I'm not quite sure how, or what to think about it. At least one thing I know is, that the dementia tag definitely makes sense now. It felt completely different from the previous 3 eps.

Highlight: The sky changing colour after the nosebleed scene, was kinda cool. I have to praise the dad resurrection scene(?) as well. It was pretty bizarre

May 15, 2021 10:29 AM

Jul 2020
Gotta say, we got more weird in this episode haha, but I'm still really enjoying it, I also thought that the scene with Naota and Haruko swinging the satellite was pretty sick; definitely curious to see what's next!
Zackack99May 15, 2021 11:30 AM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Mar 7, 2008

284 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 29, 9:51 AM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 22, 2008

113 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 25, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 21, 2008

133 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 25, 9:16 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Piroko - Apr 28, 2008

148 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 22, 7:18 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

babykeiji - Mar 5, 2008

240 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 11, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.