Forums

Your Genre Bests and Why. (Spoiler Tags if necessary Peeps)
May 20, 2012 5:16 PM

It's probably been done but I'll try and be concise so this is a decent first post for people to follow the layout to.

Action: Black Lagoon: Probably the best balls out action anime out there...at least in my opinion as alot of the characters are very likable. Even some of the bad guys are sympathisable with throughout.
--------------------
Romance: Toradora!: The best love story ever told in my opinion. A far stronger supporting cast than most romances or in fact any genre. Each character is well developed and very relatable.
--------------------
Harem: Seto no Hanayome: Got alot of contenders in this category but this one was so funny and had such a good cast of characters that I think it edges into first for this type.
--------------------
Drama: Kanon 2006: I simply prefer it to Clannad, better characters and a better story in my opinion. This is followed closely by the Ef series though.
--------------------
Shounen: Soul Eater: I dont like the genre but this is one I could enjoy as alot of the characters had different personalities instead of the generic ones from things such as Naruto and Bleach.
--------------------
Mystery: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni / Kai: Combination of both seasons as the mystery isnt complete without both. The first season had me guessing all the way and the second answered all my questions wonderfully.
--------------------
Slice of Life: Usagi Drop: I havent finished this, but I swear Rin is so close to my own daughter, they are even close in age. It's like watching a mirror of my own life and it can't help but make me smile.
--------------------
Seinen: Puella Magi Madoka Magica: I'd argue this is Seinen, anyone who has watched beyond episode 3 will know what I mean. A really dark anime despite how it appears.
--------------------
Horror: Another: I was going to pick Higurashi but I felt it more of a Mystery, especially in Season 2 so Another wins out in this category. Felt almost like The Ring at points and some of the deaths are quite gruesome.
--------------------
Sports: Cross Game: I was interested in Baseball for a time after watching this. I like watching a good Sports anime with a strong cast and this one delivered...at least in my eyes.
--------------------
Ecchi: Kodomo no Jikan: I adore Rin, it's thanks to her I found out I'm a loli fan. (No turning back now lol) Having read the manga, I know there is easily enough material for another 26 episodes. I just hope it gets done even though the manga is close to breaking laws at times =P
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS: I would have picked Madoka but I've already put it down as a category. However in second I would definitely say this one. I loved the new additions to the cast and the abilities were pretty awesome. Some were fairly unique too.
--------------------
Mecha Code Geass R2: Yep, an obvious choice for me as I dont like Gundam. I loved this series and some of the Mechs were really well done...if not a bit OP.
--------------------

Feel free to add any genre I might have overlooked as I'm sure there are some I have left out.

May 20, 2012 6:21 PM

Technically Seinen and Shounen are target demographics instead of genres, but whatever. More changes to appreciate different shows. And yes, Madoka is most definitely a seinen. Magical Girl shows are usually targeted toward kids... with older males as a periphery demographic. Madoka on the other hand is made specifically for the latter demographic.

Action: Yu Yu Hakusho - My genre best because the characters are all great (except maybe Keiko/Kayko), and the fighting is a step above DBZ's flash steps and energy beams.
--------------------
Comedy: Shinyraku! Ika Musume - Ika and her hilarious incompetence, Sanae's creepy stalker moments. Always amusing.
--------------------
Romance: Toradora! - Agreeing with this one. Not one single moment was boring. Love the development on Taiga, in that she actually has a reason for being so tsundere, instead of just "because people like tsundere".
--------------------
Harem: - Tenchi Muyo. Though I like it more for the comedy. Harem's not my cup of tea.
--------------------
Shounen: Digimon Adventure - Nostalgia and great characters with the most minimal flaws among the franchise. And it doesn't have the irksome filler of shows like DBZ, Naruto and Bleach.
--------------------
Mystery: Higurashi - I read the entire tropes page and I still got confused. Loved the characters. It was dark, a bit depressing, but not so overpoweringly depressing and hopeless that you don't care what happens to the characters.
--------------------
Slice of Life: Nichijou - Slice of life isn't my cup of tea either, but crank it up to eleven and throw in comedy and it made my Saturdays awesome for 26 weeks.
--------------------
Seinen: Yuru Yuri - More slice of life + comedy. This time with fourth wall jabbing yuri fun.
-------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Cardcaptor Sakura. The action feels more real than the conventional Magical Girl stuff, the characters are all lovable and even the unusual orientations are done tastefully and heartwarming enough to want to support them.
--------------------
Mecha Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I've said it before, I don't like mechs, so imagine my surprise when I ended up liking this hot blooded awesome.

May 20, 2012 11:01 PM

This is a good idea!

Action : FMA: Brotherhood. I don't even need to add anything more.
--------------------
Romance: Nodame Cantabile. It's pure love, it's set in a musical world, Nodame is just absolutely hilarious, Chiaki is a male tsundere, and it's Josei. What else can I ask for?
--------------------
Harem: Well, Ouran is a reverse harem, so I'll count that. It's hilarious and extremely entertaining to watch.
--------------------
Drama: Oh, this is hard... One of my favourite genres! I'll go with NANA. My heart hurts just thinking about it.
--------------------
Shounen: Hmm. Bakuman counts, right? It gives great background to the manga world, and it's so interesting to actually see how hard it is to make it big with manga.
--------------------
Mystery: Monster omgomgomgomgomgomgogomgomgomgomg. It literally rocks my socks off. Like, my socks just flew away because this anime is so flipping good.
--------------------
Slice of Life: I usually don't care for this genre at all, but Clannad season 1 was pretty SOL-ish and I really liked that.
--------------------
Seinen: I think Baccano is one, so I'll go with that. The plot was pure genius, and the execution was so unique. Of course, Isaac and Miria stole the show, but many other characters stood out as well.
--------------------
Horror: Hmmmmmmm. I've never watched a proper horror (except Another which was decent), but Jigoku Shoujo comes to mind. I think it's really underrated. I loved the eerie-ness of it, and how each episode was stand alone and they all have extremely tragic stories in them. Weird, because I usually hate episodic anime.
--------------------
Sports: Well, I haven't really watched a "proper" sports anime, although One Outs is on my PTW and I'm sure it'll be great. Can I say Hikaru no Go? It's the game genre, but I think game and sports is pretty similar.
--------------------
Ecchi: B Gata H Kei. I just loved that anime, which is weird because I am not an ecchi fan whatsoever...
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: What else but Madoka? Yup, second favourite anime of all time. I remember I ran screaming into my brother's room after watching THAT infamous event.
--------------------
Mecha: I gotta have my Code Geass. I think it's a love it or hate it anime. It's one hell of an entertaining ride, through season 1 and 2 (although personally I think 1 is better). Too bad CG had such hate-able characters. Cough Suzaku cough.
--------------------

May 20, 2012 11:39 PM

Sounds fun.
You didn't specify if Anime or Manga so I'll just list whichever.

Action: Sword Art Online. So addicted to it and its' MMORPG-esque setting only makes it better.
--------------------
Romance: Toradora. Unlike many, I very much enjoyed the last few episodes.
--------------------
Harem: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai. I dislike harems in general but this one I simply liked. There's no particular reason.
--------------------
Drama: Has to be Clannad AS. Tears were shed and I can't remember of anything else that tore me apart as much as this one.
--------------------
Shounen: KHR. Rings give you colorful flames and incredible power boosts. How awesome is that.
--------------------
Mystery: Not having watched much of this, I'll have to go with Gosick. Fun moe loli solving mysteries here and there.
--------------------
Slice of Life: Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai. While I think this is a hit or miss series, I instantly fell in love with it when I saw Kirino. Over time, that love transferred on to Kuroneko. Now I eagerly await S2 for more black cat.
--------------------
Seinen: Ef - A tale of memories. Probably because I haven't watched all that much Seinen.
--------------------
Horror: Never watched one. Hate the genre
--------------------
Sports: Barely checked any but Kuroko no Basket taking the spot right now. It's a fun, unrealistic basketball show/manga. It's got me interested.
--------------------
Ecchi:Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? While I dislike ecchi, this one's funny enough to make it all worthwhile.
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Madoka. First magical girl show I've watched, simply because it was different.
--------------------
Mecha: Code Geass. T'was fabulous.

May 21, 2012 1:00 AM

Action: Katekyo Hitman Reborn. Nothing much to say
--------------------
Romance: Toradora! perfect romance+comedy anime.
--------------------
Harem: Clannad, the girls were obviously in-love with Tomoya
--------------------
Drama: Clannad After Story, even if I'm a guy, I really cried watching this (seriously).
--------------------
Shounen: Katekyo Hitman Reborn. I watched a few episodes and I liked it.
--------------------
Mystery: Another, I never guessed right who was the dead person there, which made it mysterious.
--------------------
Slice of Life: Ef - A tale of melodies. I somewhat related myself to the story.
--------------------
Seinen: Boku wa Tomodachi. this is seinen right? hehe
--------------------
Horror: Another, random mysterious deaths hahaha! pretty much enjoyed it!
--------------------
Sports: Slam Dunk, even if this an old one, I really enjoy this especially when Sakuragi's play surprises everyone.
--------------------
Ecchi: H.O.T.D. this is ecchi right?
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Rental Magica. Showed different types of magicians and LOL! Alchemy beats Sorcery.
--------------------
Mecha: Code Geass 1 and R2, Awesome knightmares and technology, pretty much what I want to make.

"Daisuki da yo... Sayonara..."

May 21, 2012 1:21 AM

Action: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It should be self explanatory, the anime is only a known masterpiece.
--------------------
Romance: Kimi ni Todoke. This series to me was the masterpiece of romantic anime. It is a gem that shines brightly in this genre and is well worth watching.
--------------------
Harem: School Days. Most people would probably consider this to be one of the worst for the genre, but I highly beg to differ. I think that it is a refreshing change from the countless lighthearted happy fluff harems. Honestly, after a couple of them it starts to feel like you've seen them all. While they are still enjoyable if you like romance, I feel that the best of a genre should be one that stands out a bit more over the others, but this is a matter of opinion. What I like about School Days is it shows the consequences of cheating and hurting people. I'm quite the conservative person and feel like you should only give yourself to the person you're sure you love and are prepared to commit to for a very long time if not forever, if you don't then quite frankly you're the worst. So yes, seeing one character get extreme punishment for acting like a disloyal pig and seeing how the people he really hurt ended up was good to me. I think this series teaches a good lesson and has good moral values underneath.
--------------------
Drama: Kanon 2006. While I'm quite biased towards Air, Kanon has a better storyline. I prefer both Kanon and Air over Clannad and feel they are both worth checking out for slice of life/romance drama genre.
--------------------
Shounen: Hmm, Mirai Nikki. It has an incredible plot, the majority of characters are fantastic, and is also apart of the amazing psychological genre. The only thing I dislike is the ending, but it's good enough to not change my opinion.
--------------------
Mystery: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni / Kai: Combination of both seasons as the mystery isnt complete without both. The first season had me guessing all the way and the second answered all my questions wonderfully. [2]
--------------------
Slice of Life: Hanasaku Iroha or Ano Hana, it's a tie for me. Hanasaku Iroha is one that falls under a bit of a cliche in anime, but still manages to shine. It has a good setting, all the characters are good and interact well together, and the plot developments are pretty good. Ano Hana also has a good setting, great characters that interact well together, and good plot development. The ending is also fantastic and very emotional.
--------------------
Seinen: Meh, I'd actually have to sit down and think about this one. I suppose I'll just go with Ef - A tale of memories since it is a good series.
--------------------
Horror: Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori. I think Jigoku Shoujo is a really good series. Contracting with hell to send a bad person there now at the cost of having to go to hell when you die, it's something interesting to watch and see all the different situations that push people to such limits. The second season is a bit better than the first because in the first season every single episode had the same layout to it. It was a rinse and repeat with different people and a different situation every episode, while season two mixes it up a little bit and makes it more enjoyable to watch.
--------------------
Sports: lol sports. No comment.
--------------------
Ecchi: I don't really like Ecchi that much, but I suppose I'll go with Sora no Otoshimono. I was able to really enjoy this series and it is the first "Ecchi" that comes to mind.
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica or Cardcaptor Sakura, another tie for me. These two series are kind of like two different sides to the same coin for the magical girl genre. Both of them are really fantastic animes with good characters and strong plots, but one is very light and happy whereas the other is dark and quite sad.
--------------------
Mecha Code Geass. Another one that should be self explanatory.
--------------------

May 21, 2012 2:29 AM

Action: Black Lagoon: Black Lagoon is the distillation of every Hollywood action flick ever made and then it is cranked up to the eleven, and at the same time is interspersed with philosophy, and contains numerous homages to other media (war films, Yakuza films) and contains amazingly surprisingly mature subjects such as terrorism and child abuse. And it has a cast like a Tarantino film, and unlike so much of modern anime, it actually has strong and competent female characters who don't break down all the time and need a male shoulder to cry on, and at the same time this anime contains over-the-top hilarious moments and at the same time features moments more mature than ten dozen Claymores and Narutos [with it constantly throwing at you info about the cold and harsh facts of life and shows the cruel reality of life behind the scenes in the underworld]...that and it is full of the single best gun-fights in the world of anime. As always, the awesome Madhouse Studios does not hold back on the budget and uses perfect and excellent use of music and lighting and backgrounds to make your blood boil and feel the action yourself. And not only that, but it is also a parody of itself at the same time hen all the above is happening. It makes fun of the action cliches that appear in action movies/anime series and thus provides a feeling of self-criticism that makes it a very honest series.

The characters are awesome in this series, besides their bada** ways and firing away bullets left and right, cursing, laughing maniacally in the face of the enemy, they also have a softer side and all of them get fleshed out in the course of the entire series. It is the perfect action series.
--------------------
Romance: Koi Kaze: Koi Kaze conveyed itself so well that you may even think about what you personally would have done in their situation.
--------------------
Harem: Bakemonogatari: Each girl had a great personality.
--------------------
Drama: Now and Then, Here and There You can actually feel their pain because of the depth and intensity of what is happening to them in this show.
--------------------
Shounen: One Piece It proves tons of fun with messages.
--------------------
Mystery: Ghost Hound The entire show is a a look at the human psyche with a basis in psychology, folklore, and religion. It focuses on what humans are, what memories are, the basis or emotions, and the nature of existence itself.
--------------------
Slice of Life: NANA Great Music, Realistic Characters, and great character designs.
--------------------
Seinen: Texhnolyze This is a series that only a Seinen watcher can love.
--------------------
Horror: Mononoke [The TV Series, not the Movie.]. For creeping me out all the time.
--------------------
Sports: Cross Game: Baseball and Romance? Yes
--------------------
Ecchi:Golden Boy Funny and Awesome.
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Princess Tutu For breaking the mold of the genre and using the Genre as a whole to create a masterpiece.
--------------------
Mecha : Neon Genesis Evangelion For changing the face of anime forever.
Modified by Neane93, May 21, 2012 2:39 AM
krazyboy said:

FUCK ALL ANIME, SPONGEBOB OVER ALL

RRRRRRRRRR

May 21, 2012 4:56 AM

Action: Fairy Tail
--------------------
Romance: D.N Angel
--------------------
Harem: Hayate No Gotoku
--------------------
Drama: Vampire Knight
--------------------
Shounen: I already mentioned most the shounen I like in the other categories....but I guess I'll say Fairy Tail
-------------------
Mystery: Death Note
--------------------
Slice of Life: Kimi To Boku or Lucky Star
--------------------
Seinen: Acchi Kocchi
--------------------
Horror: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
--------------------
Sports: I haven't watched any animes in this genre.
--------------------
Ecchi: I don't like this genre, but I guess any of the Zero no Tsukaima seasons...
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Shugo Chara
--------------------
Mecha : I haven't watched any Mecha animes.

May 21, 2012 5:16 AM

Action: Jormungand
--------------------
Romance: Little Busters! Hasn't aired yet, but meh.
--------------------
Harem: Seitokai no Ichizon
--------------------
Drama: Clannad ~After Story~
--------------------
Shounen: Gintama
--------------------
Mystery: Another
--------------------
Slice of Life: The iDOLM@STER
--------------------
Seinen: Mahou Shoujou Madoka Magica
--------------------
--------------------
Sports: Chihayafuru, apparently Karuta is a sport
--------------------
Ecchi: Kodomo no Jikan
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Mahou Shoujou Madoka Magica, I have not seen a lot of Mahou Shoujo
--------------------
Mecha: Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

May 21, 2012 7:42 AM

Interesting thread. Alright then:

Action: Black lagoon: In the Black Lagoon universe, your ability to get hit by bullets is inversely proportional to how awesome you are. The action was only matched by the dark and cruel environment the series sets place in.
--------------------------------
Romance: Toradora: Great comedy and characters that truly felt alive as opposed to most characters in a generic romance anime.
Harem: Shuffle: This set the bar for harem anime imo. The love for the female leads towards the MC were as great as the disturbing backgrounds they hid of their pasts.
Drama: Koi kaze: Is it love? Or is it merely infatuation? These questions tug throughout nearly the whole series. Let alone the moral problems it contains.
Shounen: Yu Yu Hakusho: Spirit Detective, no other words need to be said. If you have seen this whole series you know what i mean. If you have not, well, you probably won't understand how much that phrase and this series meant to anime fans, even if you watch it now.
Mystery: Hyouka: This series is airing right now, but at this moment, it has the potential of being placed amongst the greatest of anime. It's refreshing mysteries, along with its slice-of-life feel is taking anime fans to places that have not been traveled to in a long time.
Slice of Life: Working: This is an innocently fun story of odd coworkers and their time together. What makes this show so great is solely the characters that are in it.
---------------------------------
Seinen: Monster: I'm currently watching this and loving the harsh perspective of reality it is portraying.
Horror: Devilman(movies): I really can't really think of any anime that were truly horror-esq, But i remember watching Devilman when i was little, and it freaked me out, was still good though.
Sports: Hajime no ippo: While the boxing is very exaggerated (It is anime after all), it still stands true to the positive 'heart' aspect of it. The boxers are very enjoyable as well.
Mecha: Macross Frontier: Both the Action and the love plots were intensely well done.

May 21, 2012 8:09 AM

Action: Samurai Champloo: Action is pretty much all there is to it.
--------------------
Harem: Seitokai no Ichizon: Not really sure if it's a harem or not, at least Sugisaki tries his hardest to make it one
--------------------
Drama: Clannad: After Story: If you've seen it you'll know.
--------------------
Shounen: Naruto Shippuden: Don't care what people say, Shippuden is awesome.
--------------------
Horror: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni: First 5 episodes are brilliant
--------------------
Mystery: Guilty Crown: The mystery is figuring out how this piece of crap ever got made.
--------------------
Slice of Life: Welcome to the NHK: A Slice of Life anime that actually is just that, Slice of Life. Not cute moe girls eating cake.
--------------------
Seinen: Koi Kaze: So down to earth...
--------------------
Sports: One Outs: Yeah.
--------------------
Mecha: Code Geass: Yeah x2
--------------------
Thriller: Death Note: Because it's the best
I put rocks in my snowballs. Twice the accuracy, twice the pain.

May 21, 2012 8:22 AM

Action: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: 100% exploited potential, since the beginig, to the end. Every episode had SOMETHING, there wasn't any episode which felt like filler. I watched it almost one year ago, and I'm still fascinated about it ;)
--------------------
Romance: Lovely Complex: Hands down, my totally favourite shoujo. I loved every single character of it, everything within story was realistic, girl wasn't some kind of beauty, and boy hadn't fall in love with her since he saw her - it took a long time, until they were together at least, and that's what I love about it.
--------------------
Harem: Clannad: I think it's obvious choice for many people. Every girl had an interesting story (especially Fuuko and Kotomi), development at "main route" was believeable too, so yeah - it's definitely worth watching.
--------------------
Drama: Bokura ga Ita: With LoveCom it's my another favourite shoujo. Interesting and really dramatic at some point. I wish they'd make second season with later story, which was shown in manga...
--------------------
Shounen: Naruto/Shippuuden: Hello sentiment! Nice to see you again. Yeah, I know it's very... Mainstream. But I love it. I love stupid fillers (some of them are so stupid, that enjoyable by some point), cool fights, epis soundtrack, somehow interesting plot and how many cliches are there. It will be probably always no.1 for me (Narutard mode on).
--------------------
Mystery: Death Note: Masterpice, nothing really to add... I've got manga version on my shelf, and it's like the Bible for me :D
--------------------
Slice of Life: Fruits Basket: The only minus - it was too short! I hope that story, which continues in manga is as interesting, as the one within anime. Cute, heart-warming, but really dramatic at the last episodes.
--------------------
Seinen: Elfen Lied: It's not really my genre, but that one is really in my taste. Great, bloody massacre, epic opening and moe girls. Why would you need more? Still, the best part is in manga version, I think.
--------------------
Horror: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/Kai: I know that it's not 100% horror, especially Kai, but watching first season at night... Just wow, I was really trembling with fear, especially at Onikakushi and Watanagashi part. Pure awesomeness, since I'm a big horrors fan ;)
--------------------
Ecchi: Kiss x Sis: I'm not really into ecchi, but it was amazing! Cute and sexy at once, I think it's anime for both sex 15+ years old, I'm a girl, and I enjoyed it very much ;) Hope for second season!
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Sailor Moon Sailor Stars: Classic. Without SM, and, especially, this season, I wouldn't be into anime, so it's very precious for me. It had everything - timeless opening, characters development, epic fight, drama, love triangle, shoujo-ai moments, friendship overcoming difficulty, good yet sad and nostalgic ending... Masterpiece in this genre, I don't agree with people who says that Madoka Magika is best mahou-shoujo anime. It's really good, but not even close to Sailor Moon.
--------------------
Mecha: Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann: Epic, awesome, amazing - words to describe this anime. I haven't watched many mecha anime (well, only it and NGE to be honest), but it's in my TOP10 Anime favourites. Some people says that the last fight is exaggerated, but I was watching it with sparkles in my eyes.

May 21, 2012 9:45 AM

Action: Baccano! There's nothing quite as delightfully violent as this. Always worth a rewatch.
--------------------
Romance: Spice And Wolf: I love Holo and Lawrence's relationship, the way they play off of each other and tease.
--------------------
Harem: Negima: Really, I'm more talking about the manga here, but nothing does harem quite as perfectly as Negima, they've got all the bases covered.
--------------------
Drama: In terms of Anime, I'd have to say SKET Dance. In no other show do I get more involved in the main character's drama.
--------------------
Shounen: One Piece: This is pretty much the genre defining shonen. There are anime that are shonen that I like more, but this is what defines the genre for me.
--------------------
Mystery: The Tatami Galaxy: Starts off very confusing until all the pieces come together and you realize how perfect everything is.
--------------------
Slice of Life: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: I love the SOS Brigade and the adventures they go on.
--------------------
Seinen: Seinen isn't quite as well defined for me as Shonen. I guess I'd just say Baccano again.
--------------------
Horror: Boogiepop Phantom: I don't know why I like this one, mostly because I didn't understand any of it. Still, it was fun to be confide.
--------------------
Sports: God I don't like Sports. Can I just say Bakuman? It's like a sports anime but with manga.
--------------------
Ecchi: Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai: Why do I like this series so much? It's all perverted jokes and horrible characters but something about it draws me in.
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha: I've only seen the first one, but it really interested me. I need to get around to the others.
--------------------
Mecha Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Manliest anime ever.
--------------------
Shoujo Ouran High School Host Club: Wonderful shoujo comedy and drama.
--------------------
Adventure Kino's Journey: Because life if a journey.

May 21, 2012 9:45 AM

Hmm... This will be a bit hard, let me check stuff here:
--------------------
Action: Black Rock Shooter. Definitely. I was always almost fainting thanks to it's awesome battles, and most fitting CG I've seen on anime so far.
--------------------
Romance: Strawberry Panic. It has just everything a great romance needs to have for me.
--------------------
Harem: This is a genre that I hate very much with passion, but Kore wa Zombie desu ka? is amazingly good, I like it even despite being a harem.
--------------------
Drama: I really don't know how to answer this, because I don't really enjoy things that are too dramatic. But well, I could name Wolf's Rain, Kannazuki no Miko or Clannad for this, as they're all overflowing with drama.
--------------------
Shounen: Meh, another genre I'm not too fond of. But it would be Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood without doubt, it's actually the only I've ever liked.
--------------------
Mystery: Higurashi as a whole. It's just the most original and well-thought story I know of.
--------------------
Slice of Life: Yuru Yuri, the most captivating Slice-of-Life!
--------------------
Seinen: I didn't even know such a genre existed, but I noticed that Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga nai has such genre, so I'll name it here. It's an amazing anime overall.
--------------------
Horror: If I could, I would name Higurashi as top for "Mystery, Thriller and Horror", but to have things even, Ghost Hunt. This is the only anime that has really managed to get me a bit scared, and I think it's actually just perfect for the "Horror" label.
--------------------
Sports: Saki. I really hate sports animes, but I guess that naming one "Game" anime for this category is fine, isn't it n_n'? This anime was quite a surprise, because at first I didn't expect much because of Mahjong, but then... It was great *-*!
--------------------
Ecchi: Strike Witches. I don't really like Ecchi, but I found out that there are some amazing animes labelled under this genre just because the producers sneaked some ecchiness into it (which is a shame, as this anime could have easily been way better without it), but it really is nice and likeable.
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: ...Madoka Magica. I've seen my share of Mahou Shoujo animes in the television, a long time ago, but I can remember their plots quite well, and I've just began watching Lyrical Nanoha, but I can say for sure that Madoka Magica is just masterfully done.
--------------------
Mecha: Code Geass as a whole. It has an intricate story, great characters and most importantly, it's mechas are well done, they're not too weird or unbeliavable, they're just... Badass.
--------------------
Comedy: Maria Holic, hands down. Provided me with +/-220 minutes of constant laughter (pretty much about 90% of the total anime's duration), and everything is quite loveable there.

「レミ咲が今日のティータイム。」- RemiSaku ga kyou no tea time!

May 21, 2012 10:44 AM

Genres:/Themes

Action: Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha. Lots of epic battles between (mostly) cute girls with insane magical powers.
--------------------
Romance: Toradora! the chemistry between thre two MCs is simply amazig, and the show itself is quite good, too.
--------------------
Harem: Clannad. A classic that should be on anyone's list.
--------------------
Drama: Kobato. It's mostly comedic overall, but throughout the show, you just know that all is not right with cute little Kobato.
--------------------
Mystery: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni.This show is pretty much how a true mystery should be: it doens't spil the answer right away, but leaves enough clues behind for you to figure it out yourself (assuming you don't watch the sequel for the solution)
--------------------
Slice of Life: Tamayura ~Hitotose~. This show was made to make you feel good and relax.
--------------------
Horror: Another. You can complain about the last two episodes all you want, but I loved the show and it gave a real feeling of suspense, like a good horror show should be.
--------------------
Sports: Saki. This was the first sports show I ever watched. And though I don't understand a thing about mahjong , seeing a bunch of school girls use ridiculous powers to almost cheat the system was never before so entertaining.
--------------------
Ecchi: Hen Zemi. This show goes really, REALLY far in showing of the weirdest fetishes one could have. And I loved every minute of it.
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Probably the best Magical Girl show I've ever seen. Also quite unlike most of the more 'standard' MG shows.
--------------------
Mecha: The only mecha show I liked is Transformers, even though a lot of people would probably consider it a cartoon more than an anime.
---------------------
Comedy: Acchi Kocchi. Even if it's still airing, this show is non-stop laughter from start to finish. Plus, the girls are inanely cute.
-----------------------
Yuri/Shouji-Ai: Yuru Yuri A show about school girl lesbians that is also very funny.
-----------------------
Adventure: Dog Days is pretty much the only show in this genre that I watched (and liked).
------------------------
Fantasy: Fate/Zero. It's that good.
------------------------
Supernatural: Bakemonogatari. Studio SHAFTs masterpiece, and deservingly so.
-------------------------
Parody: Pani Poni Dash. Just watch it yourself.
------------------------
School: Azumamga Daioh.
------------------------
Music: K-ON!. Even though it's a bit... lacking in the musical aspect.

Demographics:

Shounen: Phi Brain; Kami no Puzzle. Some of the puzzles are ingeniously designed, even more so because people utilize them to fight death matches with.
--------------------
Shoujo: Card Captor Sakura the only one I can think fo from the top of my head.
-----------------------
Seinen: Needless. This show is so over the top funny, it has to be in my list somewhere.
------------------------
Josei: Usagi Drop. Rin is cuter than anything I've ever seen before. And I think the show did well to portray the trouble a single man has to go through to raise a child, especially if it's not his own.

Did I forget anything?
Modified by AO968, May 21, 2012 12:13 PM

May 21, 2012 11:06 AM

Without thinking too much:

Action: Black Lagoon
--------------------
Romance: 5 Centimeters Per Second
--------------------
Harem: Nisemonogatari
--------------------
Drama: Phantom: Requiem For The Phantom
--------------------
Shounen: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
--------------------
Mystery: Death Note
--------------------
Slice of Life: Clannad: After Story
--------------------
Seinen: Hard one. Texhnolyze
--------------------
Horror: Higurashi
--------------------
Sports: Haven't seen any yet, I think.
--------------------
Ecchi: Nisemonogatari
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
--------------------
Mecha: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
--------------------

May 21, 2012 11:27 AM

I'll try my best to avoid doubling on a title. Also, just to note, these are not 'the best' on my list, they're my favorites of the genres. If you wanted the best, you could simple search genres and sort by ratings. Avoiding listing currently airing stuff.

*prepare for wall of text*

--------------------
Action: Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood: This might just be me, but the series itself has many genres, I found action to be one of its best brought out through the series, though it didn't have action every episode, when it did, it was enjoyable to watch and all the fights were enjoyable from start to end. I've always been more into my fantasy/super power type fights than serious gun fights and the such.
--------------------
Adventure: Legend of the Legendary Heroes. I was disappointed with how the show ended opening and with no chance of a continuation, still, I'd say it'd be my favorite fantasy adventure genre.
--------------------
Cars: Redline. Considering I haven't seen many car genre anime to begin with and eye-gasmed over Redline, it gets my pick.
--------------------
Comedy: Gintama no doubt wins this and would win multiple other genres for me. Rarely see anything as humorous as this series is and when I do, it loses by episode count, tenfold.
--------------------
Dementia: n/a
--------------------
Demons: Nurarihyon no Mago: Sennen Makyou. To be honest, kinda just threw this out since series listed with demons aren't usually strong it the genre itself, usually just having a character being a demon. Nurarihyon no Mago uses the concepts of demons and their what their known for in the series. Now if Ga Rei had a anime, not Ga Rei Zero, it'd be my choice.
--------------------
Drama: Ano Hana. Made me cry. Nokemon. Secret base. Everything about it.
--------------------
Ecchi: This is tough, I have a lot of 'ecchi' genre shows I enjoyed. I guess I'll have to go with Highschool DxD. Not only did it have a decent plot, fucking mind-blowing for a ecchi, the fanservice in it was top tier. Fetishes? It does all mines.
--------------------
Fantasy: Soul Eater. Though fantasy isn't its strongest genre and the ending being crap. I still enjoyed it for its fantasy elements. Witches, werewolves, demons, etc. and for those 'which anime world would you want to go?" I'd chose this shows world because it itself is a shounen fantasy.
--------------------
Game: Yu Gi Oh 5Ds. Card games on motorcycles.
--------------------
Harem: To-Love-Ru. Specifically speaking, Motto and Darkness. The first one was pretty meh but after that, awesomeness harem ecchi.
--------------------
Hentai: Eroge! H mo Game. Most enjoyable hentai ever.
--------------------
Historical: n/a
--------------------
Horror: n/a. I've seen plenty of series with horror as a sub-genre but not strong enough for me to put it as a favorite horror. I usually avoid the series with horror as a main theme.
--------------------
Josei: Chihayafuru. Considering I only have like 1~3 josei in my entire list and the fact that I loved this show to the point of never skipping the opening even once, I can say it works. Sadly, I don't have much interest in its manga as it lacks what the anime has; animation, music and colors to go with the emotions.
--------------------
Kids: Digimon: Bokura no War Game. This movie... I still love it every time I watch it. The final countdown scene is embedded in my memories forever since I was a child. I actually found the English version more enjoyable than the Japanese version, maybe it's just because it more nostalgia.
--------------------
Magic: Negima!?. The one by Shaft. I loved its randomness thanks to Shaft producing it and it still kept the same concept of magic for each character even though it followed a separate story. Who else could have made a show revolving around chupacabras?
--------------------
Martial Arts: Kenichi. The beginning of the series I enjoyed it very much, only because it was somewhat more along the lines of more realistic... then it kinda turned superpower wtf hax over 9000. Well I didn't mind overall, I still enjoy the series.
--------------------
Mecha: Eureka Seven. Though others will definitely disagree, it's one of the most unique mecha genre I've seen that doesn't consist of constant mecha fights and repeated beam shots. Also being a shounen with an actual romance ending is a great plus. Music and animation were great to look at and listen to.
--------------------
Military: n/a
--------------------
Music: Perfect Day. Just a short music video by Supercell.
--------------------
Mystery: Mushishi. I just finished re-watching this for another time and still enjoyed every episode.
--------------------
Parody: Hayate no Gotoku. Duel hitsuji. Plenty of parodies and references that I actually understood.
--------------------
Police: n/a
--------------------
Psychological: Welcome to the NHK. I can relate so much to the characters... but I'm pretty sure that's not exactly a good thing.
--------------------
Romance: ToraDora. My only memorable anime that actually stood out in terms of romance. Yea, I don't really watch much series strong in the genre.
--------------------
Samurai: Sword of the Stranger. Best animated swordplay in anime history is it not? With great music to go with it.
--------------------
School: Seitokai Yakuindomo. School consisting of the most perverted girls and the student council president being the top tier of perversion? What school would be better than that?
--------------------
Sci-Fi: Steins;Gate. Being one of the top ranked anime can pretty much say everything needed for me. Though to add, it being one of the few sci-fi genres that I've seen that doesn't revolve around all the 'advanced technology Earth will probably never have in the future' and mecha/space.
--------------------
Seinen: Baccano. First of all, it being a seinen that doesn't 'revolve around high school / little girls'. Second, the great variety and cast of characters. Last, not your generic every day anime. Also to note, its English dub is superior.
--------------------
Shoujo: n/a. I can say I've seen plenty of shoujo but none that I favor.
--------------------
Shoujo Ai: n/a. I'd throw Shoujo-Sect in here but it'd be more suited for Yuri which I already have taken.
--------------------
Shounen: D.Gray-Man. Although the anime ended early, and the series itself is fairly generic in terms of shounen, I still favor this series the most compared to everything else. Mostly because of Allen's Crown Clown. I like how it looks.
--------------------
Shounen Ai: n/a
--------------------
Slice of Life: Nichibros. I would have put this in comedy, but Gintama took that spot. Though what this show also did great was doing what it set out to do, it's title. The daily lives of high school boys, just the characters enjoy their life in more of humorous manner and the series itself probably trolled us with a huge chunk of it being a dream.
--------------------
Space: n/a
--------------------
Sports: Air Gear. I'm not too fond of 'normal sports', I prefer the more unreal/fiction sports. Air Gear fits the bill using the concept of using motorized roller blades.
--------------------
Super Power: Eh, this one's kinda weird. Kinda hard to differentiate from Supernatural Fantasy elements/powers. I guess I'll just throw One Piece or something in it since it's labeled as it. I also find One Piece does it very well with so many different kind of abilities. It's so vast and gives out so much variety.
--------------------
Supernatural: xxxholic. Though its art wasn't the best, thank you CLAMP /sarcasm, I found it did the supernatural element pretty well with a mix of soft horror moments to it.
--------------------
Thriller: Madoka★Magica. Eh, I kinda just threw this here. I've seen multiple thriller genre'd anime but I can't say they were really 'thriller-ing' enough for me to favor it as a thriller. Madoka just had me going wtf multiple times.
--------------------
Vampire: Bake/Nisemonogatari. Though I wouldn't say the series is best fitted as a 'vampire' genre, the reason I did enjoy the show a lot more was for Shinobu, the vampire.
--------------------
Yaoi: n/a
--------------------
Yuri: Sono Hanabira. Cute and vanilla yuri. Nothing to hate from it.
--------------------
Modified by Paul, May 21, 2012 11:47 AM

May 21, 2012 11:31 AM

Action: Darker than Black
--------------------
Comedy: Hayate no Gotoku
--------------------
Music:Beck
--------------------------
Romance: Kimikiss Pure Rouge (I usually like the romance secondary)
--------------------
Harem: Isekai no Sekishi Monogatari
--------------------
Drama: Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
--------------------
Shounen: Zero no Tsukaima
--------------------
Mystery: Mushishi
--------------------
Slice of Life: Clannad: After Story
--------------------
Seinen: This is difficult to say, I guess Salaryman Kintarou
--------------------
Horror: Elfen Lied
--------------------
Sports: Cross Game, with any doubt
--------------------
Ecchi: Kisxsis, I loved the poor guy trying to avoid the incest, the best that's been done.
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Claymore maybe...
--------------------
Mecha: Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
--------------------

May 21, 2012 11:35 AM

RLinksoul said:
Technically Seinen and Shounen are target demographics instead of genres, but whatever. More changes to appreciate different shows. And yes, Madoka is most definitely a seinen. Magical Girl shows are usually targeted toward kids... with older males as a periphery demographic. Madoka on the other hand is made specifically for the latter demographic.

In addition to this, a number of other categories aren't genres - it's a mix of themes, settings, fetishes, and so on. Ah well.

May 21, 2012 12:33 PM

--------------------
Action: Rurouni Kenshin
This also has many genres to it. But the action reigns supreme. The fight between Kenshin and Shishio will always be one of the better fights I have ever seen in my lift.
--------------------
Adventure: Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
To me, this IS the adventure genre rolled up into one wonderful anime. I love watching Kino interact with everyone in the countries, I love the detail put into this anime. I just love this anime.
--------------------
Comedy: Gintama
Big surprise I know lol. Yeah I've changed my summary in my anime list from a basic synopsis to listing the episodes that almost make me pee myself.
--------------------
Demons: Kyo Kara Mao:
They're sorta demons! One of the few synopsis that have made me get funny looks I'm laughing so hard. Truly a good watch if you don't mind some slight boy/boy.
--------------------
Drama:Grave of the Fireflys
I have seen this movie a number of times, and I STILL go through at least five tissues while watching it!
--------------------
Ecchi: Highschool of the Dead
I don't like Ecchi but I do like zombies and the zombies in this one were golden. Loved it for the zombies, tollerated it for the boobs.
--------------------
Fantasy: Hakuouki
Fantasy unfortunately isn't a very well represented genre. I chose this one because it has touched me a few times and I really like the characters.
--------------------
Harem: Hayate no Gotoku!
Love the narration and the main character in this one is likeable and sweet.

---------------------
Reverse Haram: Fushigi Yuugi
This could have worked for fantasy also but, meh. Back in the day, I had a huge crush on one of the characters.
--------------------
Hentai: Golden Boy
ROFL so funny
--------------------
Historical: Hundred Stories
Also know as Requiem From the Darkness.

Another would have worked too but oh my love for this show.
--------------------
Magic: Zero no Tsukaima
Love Louise. Funny chick. This is also a haram.
--------------------
Mecha: Full Metal Panic
Love this. Couldn't think of where else to put it lol.
--------------------
Music: Kiniro no Corda: Primo Passo.
--------------------
Mystery: Detective Conan
LOOOOooooooooooooonnnng but good. I have no hope of ever catching up though!
--------------------
Psychological: Paranoia Agent
My favorite WTF anime.
--------------------
Romance: Kodomo No Omocha
Maybe you will disagree with me, but I just loved the couple in this.
--------------------
Sci-Fi: Trigun
I named my pet fish "Pat the fish" after Pat the cat.
--------------------
Shounen: Fullmetal Alchemist:
Very Awesome.
--------------------
Slice of Life: Nichibros. I would have put this in comedy, but Gintama took that spot. Though what this show also did great was doing what it set out to do, it's title. The daily lives of high school boys, just the characters enjoy their life in more of humorous manner and the series itself probably trolled us with a huge chunk of it being a dream.
--------------------
Space: Mugen no Ryvius
Very Dystopic. Very cool.
--------------------
Super Power:Dragon Ball Z
Eh, why not?
--------------------
Supernatural: Natsume Yuujinchou
I can't say enough nice things about this series. This is my favorite all time series, I love the manga, the seasons just kept getting better. Definately give this a whirl!
--------------------
Thriller: Gankutsuou
Based on a classic tale of revenge, this anime is a peice of art - both in the story and the animation.
--------------------
Vampire: Vampire Hunter D.
Sometimes, the classics are the best.
--------------------
Yaoi: Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
Love this. So glad they are doing another series for this! If you are into Yaoi, check this one out!
--------------------
Modified by sisgood, May 21, 2012 7:32 PM

May 21, 2012 12:46 PM

Action: Black Lagoon: most probably this, not my favorite genre to be honest.
--------------------
Romance: Toradora!: great story, very likeable characters and, of course, happy ending. Runner up: Ah! My Goddess
--------------------
Harem: Mahoraba: one person harem (it sounds complicated but it makes sense). Great characters - they are irritating but you can tell why they are like this. Romance is very slow to take, but main pair is lovely.
--------------------
Drama: Grave of the fireflies. Not favorite genre but this show is exceptional.
--------------------
Shounen: DragonBall. I can say that I like this genre but this show is my youth :)
--------------------
Slice of Life: Kaleido Star. It's brilliant - Sora is great leading character and they add cast of amazing side characters (Rosetta as number one). Optimistic and funny. Runner ups would be: Aria, Sketchbook and Tamayura - so basically works of SatoJun. All very very good but Kaleido Star is best of them.
--------------------
Sports: Saki. I don't like this genre but this one is an exception.
--------------------
Ecchi: Strike Witches. But not for ecchi part but rather for some historical details that appear here and there. Basically my least favorite genre. Runner up: Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: HeartCatch Precure. I was thinking about Nanoha A's but this one is a bit better. And it's funny as show targeted at kids is way more mature than many other Mahou Shoujo productions. Runner ups: Nanoha A's, Princess Tutu, Futari Wa Precure
--------------------
Comedy: Azumanga Daioh. Pure genius. Great characters, their interactions and, if needed, they know how to give some emotional punch. Best of it's kind.
--------------------
Yuri: Maria-sama ga Miteru. Ok it's not exactly this but I like this show. A bit of utopia but made in a way that while feeling a bit fake, you don't mind. Runner ups: Yuru Yuri and Simoun.

May 21, 2012 2:36 PM

Action: Shakugan No Shana: I haven't seen alot of action, but i loved the fighting scenes in SnS.
--------------------
Romance: Toradora!: I want to go back in time, to watch Toradora for the first time once again. Very good characters!
--------------------
Harem: Kanon 2006: Not 100% sure that Kanon is a harem, but it seems like all the girls are into the main character so. One of the first anime i watched, loved it!
--------------------
Drama: Clannad AS: Do i need to say why? Also one of the first anime i watched. I can't seem to find anything that can match Clannad.
--------------------
Mystery: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu: The whole show just grabbed me, in a weird way, i couldn't stop watching.
--------------------
Slice of Life: Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou: Made me laugh every episode, and that is impressive. The boys remind me of myself.
--------------------
Horror: Another: I don't find any anime to be scary, so i don't really see it as a horror anime. But it was kinda creepy!
--------------------
Sports: Haven't seen one yet! I used to be a sports freak, but had to stop due to some problem with my heart, so maybe i'll feel with the characters ( i know some of them have people ending up in accidents etc )
--------------------
Ecchi: Bake/Nisemonogatari: I didn't really watch them for the ecchi, as I'm not the biggest fan of fanservice that gets shoved down my throath. But damn, one of the best shows ever in the world of anime ( my opinion of course )
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: I was gonna add Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica here, BUT! There's a Mahou "shoujo" in Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? aswell, and he ( yes, a boy being a mahou shoujo ), and i found that show hillarious.
--------------------
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.

May 21, 2012 2:53 PM

I'm just gonna say this now but ya'll should take off the "Mahou Shoujo" genre and simply replace it with Magic genre. Mahou Shoujo is more of a theme than it is a genre.

Also for those who've done it, Yuri is not the same as Shoujo-Ai. Same with Yaoi and Shounen-Ai. They're higher forms of the two, near or to the point of Hentai. Though some series do have both levels in their genres. Shoujo-Sect for example.

May 21, 2012 5:58 PM

Action:Outlaw Star because it is high octane and every moment is a thrill ride from start to finish.
--------------------
Romance: Marmalade Boy is my favorite romance series, many kinds of romantic situations are explored in this series, even one featuring a teacher and a student.
--------------------
Harem: Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, quite a unique take on a harem where the MC has one girl who has the hots for him, to one other girl who has the hots for the title character, to an adorable shota trap who is also in love with the MC.
--------------------
Drama: Kanon 2006, in terms of drama, nothing beats Kanon 2006, as many scenes shake your emotions to the core.
--------------------
Shounen: s-CRY-ed, for at 26-episodes, you get your shounen fix without having to devote too much of your time to a series that runs for what it seems like it is endless.
--------------------
Mystery: Perfect Blue is my pick for a mystery anime, especially for the who-don-it moments that occur throughout the movie when grisly murders occur.
--------------------
Slice of Life: Kimagure Orange Road is my favorite slice of life, things get interesting when you have a hottie like Madoka Ayukawa spice up things and two cute twin sisters playfully show off their esper abilities, although at akward at times especially if it involves their family's pet cat.
--------------------
Seinen: Senkou no Night Raid, I loved this particular series for its' realistic loking character designs, to the thrilling story, and the wonderful cast of adult main characters
--------------------
Horror: Another, I enjoyed this particular series as it sent chills up my spine at every horrific turn. The overall tone created that edge of your seat tension, especially with those grisly deaths.
--------------------
Sports: I've only seen Touch as far as sports anime is concerned, it did well in this field with the unexpectancy of how the games are played out, especially when Tatsuya was playing the game.
--------------------
Ecchi: Bakuretsu Hunters, it provided just enough to tittilate and not overwhelm that it would interfere with the story. Tira and Chocolate Misu in their transformed states make for two, hot and sexy sisters.
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: New Cutey Honey for sure, a wonderful blend of violence and ecchi transformation scenes, a great take on the old 70's classic series that began mahou shoujo.
--------------------
Mecha: I love quite a few Gundam shows, but my favorites go to Gundam Wing and Gundam Unicorn for having both awesome stories and sensational looking mecha.

May 21, 2012 6:05 PM

Action: DragonBall (was the first series i have seen and i'm not that into action.)
--------------------
Romance: well this is my favorit genre so yeah can't realy say wich one is my top fav (those include clannad AS, H2o, ef, toradora and lot's more)
--------------------
Harem: Shuffle!
--------------------
Drama: pure drama i would have to say gunslinger girl
--------------------
Shounen: eeeeuuuuhhhmmm... blank
--------------------
Mystery: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
--------------------
Slice of Life: Minami ke
--------------------
Seinen: oh gosh, i don't realy pay attention to shounen/seinen realy...
--------------------
Horror: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/another
--------------------
Sports: Suzuka (again a romance haha)
--------------------
Ecchi: maburaho (think this one will fit)
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: lyrical nanoha (would want to say madoka but love it for other things then it beeing MS)
--------------------
Mecha: Mobile Suit Gundam W (actualy the only mecha/gundam i finished and liked watching)
--------------------
Historical: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (watching it right now and i'm hooked)
Romance Anime List

Romance Anime List

3DS friend code 3325-2089-7587 (pm yours)

May 21, 2012 6:49 PM

Action: Darker than Black. The characters are really interesting and mysterious.
--------------------
Romance: Candy Candy. Also the most melodramatic romance I've seen.
--------------------
Harem: I'm not realllly a fan of harem. If reverse harems are included I choose Fushigi Yuugi. If not, I choose School Days.
--------------------
Drama: Lady Georgie.
--------------------
Shounen: GaiGaoGar. Sooo much manliness.
--------------------
Mystery: Ghost Hunt. Quite interesting mysteries.
--------------------
Slice of Life: Candy Candy or Lady Georgie. Can't think of any others I love, I'm not big on this genre, unless it's 'slice of melodramatic life'.
--------------------
Seinen: Hard to say... I don't think I have a favourite seinen series.
--------------------
Horror: I can't think of any good horrors either. It's hard to say which anime are horror genre...
--------------------
Sports: Major. I never thought a sport anime would end up in my top ten~
--------------------
Ecchi: Maybe Sumomomo Momomo... it's pretty hilarious. I'm not really a fan of this genre though.
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Either Princess Tutu or Full Moon wo Sagashite. It's really hard to say which I prefer.
--------------------
Mecha: Code Geass~ I really like all the twists and turns and melodrama~
--------------------

May 21, 2012 7:58 PM

Action: Black Lagoon: I think this is the badass show of the century, especially since censorship is more likely to rise than decline.
--------------------
Romance: Kaichou wa Maid Sama: I just really like Misaka's personality and Usui complements it very well.
--------------------
Harem: Sekirei: this show really needs 100 episodes. It actually has a cool plot behind it on top of a good cast.
--------------------
Drama: Dunno if Angel Beats counts, but I prefer it over all the other Key anime.
--------------------
Shounen: One Piece: over 500 episodes and I'm still not bored just because the One Piece world is so vast that the author can come up with any arc he wants.
--------------------
Mystery: UN-GO: last episode was epic.
--------------------
Slice of Life: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai: I love every character in this show.
--------------------
Horror: Elfen Lied: I don't watch much horror anime in general, plus nothing I've seen was actually scary, but I'd say this is one of the more scary ones.
--------------------
Sports: One Outs: great psychological tricks in it, makes it interesting even if you don't care at all about baseball.
--------------------
Ecchi: High School of the Dead: an unbelievable amount of fanservice, needs more episodes cuz the zombie apocalypse thing isn't done as often as I would expect it to be.
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS: FATE TESTAROSSA
--------------------
Mecha: Full Metal Panic!: it has a good amount of romance and comedy mixed in, complements the mech fights nicely

Seinen and Shoujo are hard for me to categorize so I won't pick a favorite for these.

May 21, 2012 10:14 PM

I haven't watched that much yet, so not that many genres for me.

Action: Mouretsu Pirates is really one of the only action anime I've watched, but I really like it. The characters are awesome, the breaks in the action are really well done, and the battles are pretty intense.
--------------------
Romance: Clannad - After Story is one of my all-time favorites. It's so sad, and it had a great romance, even if you never get to see the main characters kiss, ever.
--------------------
Harem: Rosario + Vampire hooked me immediately. Watched both seasons in two days. That's not something I normally do at all. Loved it. Kurumu-chan had no chance, but I still think she's the best. Really, all the girls except for Yukari were great.
--------------------
Drama: Clannad - After Story again. The damn series had me in tears. Enough said.
--------------------
Shounen: Claymore. Haven't finished watching DBZ yet, and it might win me over, but for now, Claymore. Emotional, disturbing, gory, action-y, and it has girls with swords. And Teresa. I'm upset just thinking about it, such a great story. I only wish I could've had more.
--------------------
Mystery: Bakemonogatari by default, I searched my list for mystery and this was the only anime I had. However, it still sets the bar high. It took me 11 episodes to get hooked. But when I did, my mind got blown. Love the romance, even if I don't love the girl. Very interesting characters, and just something I really enjoyed. Weird as fuck though.
--------------------
Slice of Life: Don't even need to search, it's Lucky Star. It's the Seinfeld of anime, and Seinfeld is the funniest show I have ever seen, so that would be a massive plus for me. All four girls are some of my favorite characters, and the moe levels in general are just through the roof. Lucky Channel made my life complete as well. Absolutely love this anime.
--------------------
Seinen: If Puella Magi Madoka Magica counts as seinen, then it wins by default. Hell, I only have 4 seinen anime on my PTW list, and it's got 232 things on it. However, Puella Magi Madoka Magica is my favorite anime, so that's the real reason it's here. What can I say about it that hasn't been said before? I laughed, I cried, I went "oh shit" like 50 times, people died, and I loved every single minute of it. I can't wait to see what anime can knock this off my top spot.
--------------------
Horror: Tasogare Otome x Amnesia doesn't really count as horror, but it's the closest anime I've got. And I have only one horror anime on my giant PTW list! Not something I've gotten into yet, but Tasogare is 7 episodes in and it is on track for a 10 from me. I anxiously anticipate each Sunday, waiting for my next dose of Yuuko. And the most recent episode completely turned the whole damn story on its head, and I'd definitely call what happened a horrifying turn of events. Such a wonderful anime.
--------------------
Sports: Again, not a lot of this genre on my list. However, Kuroko no Basket takes it easily. Much like Tasogare, I expect to give this a 10. The actual games are so exciting, and very unrealistic, which makes them even more exciting! I love Kuroko - I just think he's an awesome character, and he just makes you want to cheer for him. Kagami too. A pure adrenaline rush.
--------------------
Ecchi: Another genre I don't have much of, but Haganai has to go somewhere. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai tells a story that I positively adore - first I read the manga and died of laughter and happiness, then I died again after watching the anime, and as I slowly read the light novel, I die again. The idea of the Neighbor's Club is just fucking awesome, and Sena is easily my favorite lady in terms of sex appeal and moe. Every character in this anime is just perfect to me, and it is the funniest anime and manga series that I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying. Or at least it was, until I started watching Gintama.
--------------------
Mecha: Mobile Suit Gundam. Okay, it's another default for me, and I have only seen 5 episodes, so I can't say much. However, I think the fights are pretty cool, and it's mildly interesting. I'm not hooked yet, though.
--------------------
Comedy: Gintama, Gintama, Gintama. You know a show is truly impressive when you have only seen 14/201 episodes, not including the specials and the 51 episode sequel, and you can honestly say that it is the funniest anime you have ever seen. This show is capable of cheering me up almost instantly, and again, all of the characters are awesome. Especially Gintoki. Such funny situations and of course, an amazing boke-tsukkomi connection between Gintoki, Kagura, and the lone tsukkomi, Shinpachi. I love the boke-tsukkomi style of humor so much - it's hard to fuck up, honestly. Amazing show.
--------------------
Yuri: Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo: Anata to Koibito Tsunagi. I love tsunderes, and even though you can't really tell that Reo is a tsundere from this OVA, the damn anime was so good that I promptly downloaded the visual novel, which was the first time I had ever played a visual novel, and enjoyed the hell out of it. And this is a hentai. I still can't believe it. The art style is exactly my kind of thing, very clean and very very cute, and the relationship between Reo and Mai is just something I really enjoyed, even though it was obviously way more fleshed out in the VN. Still, this OVA was much better than I expected, and it wasn't weird at all, which is impressive for a hentai. Left me with a good feeling.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata

May 21, 2012 10:20 PM

Flaxman said:

Mystery: Guilty Crown: The mystery is figuring out how this piece of crap ever got made.

Oh god, you make me laugh so hard! You totally just speaks my mind.

CrimsonLight said:

Harem: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai. I dislike harems in general but this one I simply liked. There's no particular reason.

This is another mystery to me as well, I generally dislike harems but I am particularly fond of this one. Despite the lolis, deres and whatever else, it actually keeps me watching.

Action: FMA: Brotherhood. This is definitely one of the anime where I didn't try to skip any of the fighting scenes. I enjoyed all the fight scenes, they are all not repetitive. Although Jormungand is growing on me but it is still not finished yet so I can't judge it.
--------------------
Romance: Ano Natsu de Matteru. AnoNatsu really left me feeling alot. I really love how the ending was presented. No words implied, no final scene that shows the couple. But when you see the last scene, awww. Toradora is actually one of the greatest romance out there but, it just didn't left so much emotions in me than AnoNatsu.
--------------------
Harem: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai. Like what I mentioned above, generally dislike harem but I am actually fond of this one. Must be that two girl protagonists. I think their friendship was actually portrayed very nicely.
--------------------
Drama: CLANNAD: After Story. I cried at every single arcs. Every single one of them.
--------------------
Mystery: Must be Guilty Crown.. I must admit I don't watch much mystery and to me, Higurashi and Another doesn't really count as a mystery. Its more towards the thriller horror end I guess.
--------------------
Comedy/Slice of Life: Nichijou. Nothing beats Nichijou. Arawa Keiichi is just a genius.
--------------------
Seinen: Madoka. Magical girls are definitely not what they seem to be. Its like saying Happy Tree Friends is a cartoon for kids.
--------------------
Horror: Another. Final destination with a story! It actually really has a story and it left me feeling something.
--------------------
Sports: Is Chihayafuru counted? I thought it was actually really great. Who knew a game of cards can spent so much of your physical strength and left you breaking in sweat?
--------------------
Ecchi: I generally don't pay much attention to these but I guess its Strike Witches. I mean every single second when a character shows up you would have no choice but to notice they are not wearing any pants. I mean, they could actually fly in the air with so much wind and not feeling cold in the legs? Anyway, Strike Witches is actually one of my favourite, just love the girls with guns. And all the characters are definitely lovable.
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Madoka. Despite being not what it seems, it is still called Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Magical Girl Madoka of the Magus.
--------------------
Mecha: Code Geass. Nothing as exciting as hailing all Britannia.

May 22, 2012 3:37 PM

Action: claymore, real fights should have body parts flying some where, this is a pretty good example of it.
--------------------
Romance: clannad (both seasons), a monumental series that anyone who enjoys the romance genre should watch
--------------------
Harem: infinite stratos, got to lovable characters to make a harem
--------------------
Drama: angel beats!, the point is to feel something for the characters, i still cry watching this
--------------------
Shounen: fma:brotherhood, prime example, a great show too
--------------------
Mystery: shiki, vampires on a much more interesting level than twilight
--------------------
Slice of Life: usagi drop, daily life of a kid and her say uncle, really layed back, how a slice of life should be
--------------------
Horror: higurashi, at least the first season was a true horror, blood and gore all the goodies
--------------------
Mech: it's hard to choose because code geass had a better story though the mechs in gundam 00 were just as good.

May 22, 2012 4:49 PM

Action: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.
---------
Adventure: Spice and Wolf. Their journey and chemistry between the main characters makes this the best adventure anime I've seen.
-----------
Comedy: Ranma 1/2, actually Ouran is my number one, but I mention it in another category and Ranma 1/2 is a strong number 2.
------------
Drama: Grave of the fireflies. The saddest movie I've ever seen.
-------------
Fantasy: Twelve Kingdoms.
----------------
Harem: Clannad. Both good comedy and drama and a good male lead.
--------------
Horror: Another, since I'm mentioning Higurashi in mystery.
----------------
Mahou Shoujo: Princess Tutu. It's much better than it sounds. More of a fantasy it breakes stereotypes. Inspired by many fairytales and good characters and plot, Give it a few episodes before it really starts to shine. Mahou Shoujo Madoka is a strong number two.
-----------------
Mystery: Higurashi. It was really interesting.
---------------
Reverse Harem: Ouran High School Host Club. Makes fun of stereotypes often found in reverse harem and shoujo series and incredibly funny.
---------------
Romance: Kimi ni Todoke. So incredibly sweet and beautiful.
----------------
Sci-fi: Steins Gate.
-----------------
Shoujo: Skip Beat! Funny, with strong female lead.
---------------
Shounen: Fairy Tail. Really funny, interesting characters and cool fighting scenes.
---------------
Slice of Life: Aria. It was what made me like the slice of life genre.
----------------
Thriller: Death Note. Had me hooked from the first episode.
-------------

May 22, 2012 6:41 PM

--------------------
Action: Katekyo Hitman Reborn...I absolutely disliked it at first and considered dropping it but after the first few episodes was hooked on the story and characters...though I really can care less about Tsuna I really enjoy most of the other characters.
--------------------
Adventure: Probably a tie between a few of my favorite series but I would have to go with Hunter x Hunter...it has always been a favorite anime of mine ever since I was younger.
--------------------
Comedy: Yakitate Japan! It's absolutely the funniest anime that I have seen, the characters and parodies are simply hilarious. A lot of people don't even give it a try because they only think it's about making bread.
--------------------
Demons: Yu Yu Hakusho. One of my top favorites as well. Great characters, great story line and an awesome classic! One of the best Shounen Series out there.
--------------------
Drama: Gankutsuou...beautiful art, beautiful characters and a sad angst ridden story to go with it...
--------------------
Ecchi: Not really a fan of this genre but I have seen a few series that were great which had quite a few ecchi scenes in them and Bakuretsu Hunters really is one of my favorites because the two main female characters just make it too funny.
--------------------
Fantasy: Saiyuki...the character Sanzo really makes this anime one of my favorites.
--------------------
Game: Hikaru no Go...I can't say enough great things about this series..I wish there were more out there like it!
--------------------
Gender Bender: Rose of Versailles...Oscar FTW one of the best female characters in anime existence!
--------------------
Harem: Kyo Kara Maoh!...I view it as a harem lol and it's not a reverse harem because it's not all guys and one girl it's all pretty men...good times...Mostly I enjoy this series because of Wolfram and Gunter.
--------------------
Historical: Hetalia as a joke...lol I really don't view it as historical, more of a parody but that is the only one I could think for this one atm...
--------------------
Horror: Petshop of Horrors...The manga was only adapted with a few ovas but they were great, the manga of it is amazing though! The darkness aspect, the murders etc. Count D is just so mysterious yet funny at the same time.
--------------------
Josei: 07 Ghost...though I wish more of the manga was adapted into the anime it was still great and seeing the comedic relationships between Frau and Teito just make it so much better.
--------------------
Kids: Card Fight Vanguard...Card Games FTW! Actually pretty mature for a card battling anime...great characters, great plot etc.
--------------------
Magic: Slayers...Lina and Gourry make an adorable couple and Zelgadis and Xellos are great characters! Really enjoy the magic and spells of this series.
--------------------
Mecha: Gundam Wing...mostly for nostalgia reasons...yay Toonami!
--------------------
Mystery: Durarara!! Though mystery might not be it's main genre, I still view it as a mystery anime...and an amazing anime at that...the relationships between all of the characters, the unique aspect of the plots etc.
--------------------
Psychological: Monster...Johan is one bad ass mofo..lol.
--------------------
Reverse Harem: Most of these genres I think are pretty bad, I have a few on my watch list that look like they might be worth a watch but right now I would have to go with Fushigi Yuugi. Most of the characters are likable minus a couple and I really like the fantasy plot.
--------------------
Romance: I know it's another reverse harem and there isn't that much romance in it but I will have to go out Ouran High School Host Club...Haruhi is just adorable.
--------------------
Samurai: Peacemaker Kurogane...such a great but dramatic series, with exceptional characters.
--------------------
School: Haven't seen that many of this genre but Great Teacher Onizuka is awesome...just because of Onizuka without him it just wouldn't be the same.
--------------------
Sci-Fi: Terra e... Everything about this anime is amazing. The Art the characters and plot.
--------------------
Seinen: xxxHOLiC... Yes I even don't mind the noodle people haha...Love the dark atmosphere of this anime the characters especially Yuuko.
--------------------
Shoujo: X...the most non Shoujo, Shoujo ever...love it! Very dark and a whole lot of drama and angst.
--------------------
Shounen Ai: Yami no Matsuei...teeny tiny touch of Shounen Ai but it's a lovely series with an amazing supernatural aspect.
--------------------
Shounen: One Piece...love the whole friendship aspect between all of the characters, one of the most enjoyable series that I have seen.
--------------------
Slice of Life: Ookiku Furikabutte...A Sports and Slice of Life series but it can count as both. Really it's one of the most realistic series that I have watched, realistic plots and really likeable characters.
--------------------
Space: Legend of the Galactic Heroes...Mature series, mature characters, great all around.
--------------------
Sports: Probably one of the hardest to choose because this is really one of favorite genres. But I would have to pick the Prince of Tennis. It's just so over the top it's just hilarious and the characters in the series are some of the funnest that I have seen.
--------------------
Super Power: Tiger & Bunny. One of the most unique series that I have ever seen. I watched one episode and was completely hooked, really more people need to give this anime a chance.
--------------------
Supernatural: Tactics...I really enjoyed this series the demons, the mythology etc
--------------------
Yaoi: Hard to pick this one because all the ones that were made into anime adaptions were completely horrible but Ai no Kusabi is one of the best...the really unique sci-fi plot makes it a favorite.
--------------------
Modified by Abbyrose, May 22, 2012 7:03 PM

May 22, 2012 11:32 PM

Action: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: Everything about this series was just about perfect for me. Storyline, characters, music, art, animation, action scenes, the emotion, it was all just plain fantastic. The action scenes in particular were very well done.
--------------------
Romance: Clannad ~ After Story: No other couple has made me feel the true love between two characters like Tomoya and Nagisa did. I mean, they were just so genuine and how they showed their affection, although with the general anime over-the-top embarresment flair, felt so realistic. Just the little things they would do together and say to each other, I could honestly say I could see two people acting like that.
--------------------
Harem: Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? : What can I say, something about this series just clicks with me. I love the humor, it always makes me laugh, and Ayumu is a great harem lead. For once, it's a guy I could see falling for. Hell, if he was real, I'd probably fall for him :P
--------------------
Drama: Mawaru Penguindrum: One of my all time favorite series and one of the best dramas I have seen. The characters developed and interacted very well with one another and the overall feel of the series was very well done.
--------------------
Shounen: Durarara!!: My favorite series of all time. I adore DRRR!!, plain and simple.
--------------------
Mystery: Kara no Kyoukai: Easily my favorite anime films and I found the manner in which the story was told to really make the mystery stand out more. I adored the dark and forboding feeling of the series and the storyline was intense.
--------------------
Slice of Life: 5 Centimeters Per Second: Because there is no anime that showcases real life better then this one.
--------------------
Seinen: Black Lagoon: AWESOME series. A very mature cast and feel as well as just an overall badass factor.
--------------------
Horror: Monster: Johan. Do I need another reason?
--------------------
Sports: Big Windup!!: Considering this series took someone like me, who hates watching baseball, and made a game totally fascinating to watch... Well, it was a success.
--------------------
Ecchi: B Gata H Kei: Now there was a hilarious ecchi series done right!
--------------------
Mahou Shoujo: Cardcaptor Sakura: A true classic.
--------------------
Mecha: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Loved the spirit and spunk this series showed.
--------------------
Humor: Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu: There is no series that has ever made me laugh this much.
--------------------
Shoujo: Ouran High School Host Club: A fun and hilarious series to watch.
--------------------
Josei: Chihayafuru: No competition here, this one is high and above my favorite josei.