Forum Settings
Forums
Baccano! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 20, 2012 4:33 PM

Jan 2009
As I finish reading through all the novels again, I thought it only fitting that I create individual topic discussions for each volume entry. The Rolling Bootlegs happens to be the very first novel in the Baccano! series.

Absolutely adored this novel, the anime adaptation didn't leave much out but it did miss little minor details that would have made the onscreen experience much more enjoyable.

Overall the novel itself was written very well. I especially love those FiroXEnnis moments and the brief conversation excerpts Narita has with his own character Firo in a New York City bar.
Oct 5, 2012 12:22 AM

Jul 2011
Wait. what. huge role as an Antagonist? O.o WWHHEEEENN!?
Tumblr: Gigglepud
My one rec for anyone who likes good storytelling: Play Zero Escape/Ai the Somnium Files
Oct 18, 2012 5:57 PM

Jul 2008
I wouldn't count him as an antagonist as while he certainly causes a lot of problems for Firo in the 1930's in his attempts to cause grief for Huey,

It really sucks that the anime cut him out though since he's the one character in the series that hates all the chaos and tries to make things orderly despite the universe laughing in his face all the time. His job in the FBI also explains why none of the immortals are captured by the US government and like experimented on or something since he takes care of all their paper work.

BEGINNER
Jan 22, 2015 4:51 PM

Nov 2011
I guess he is more like one of those tweeners that just goes looking for his own ways. And as for this first novel, it was quite informative and I liked the majority of the dialogues and narrative. Very creative tart. Looking forward to reading the remaining novels!
Feb 8, 2015 12:23 AM
Mar 2014
Victor was in the anime and even had lines, during ship episode, though he wasn't named. And Ido believe it showed him during the where are they now episode epilogue at the end of episode 7. Hell, even Beeg got a scene despite his connection to the runnoratas and Czes being left out completely and having no lines or name.
Apr 18, 2015 11:17 PM
Jun 2010
ZanathKariashi said:
Hell, even Beeg got a scene despite his connection to the runnoratas and Czes being left out completely and having no lines or name.

Actually, Czes' connection to the Runnoratas is hinted at in the anime. The big, loud lackey mentions getting in some new explosives are something like that, and of course, it's revealed that Czes is transporting none other than explosives.
May 15, 2016 5:25 PM
Jan 2011
Who was Victor Talbot in the first novel? I just read the official English release and don't recall reading the name.
May 15, 2016 6:20 PM

Apr 2013
Rhys2753 said:
Who was Victor Talbot in the first novel? I just read the official English release and don't recall reading the name.

A character that will get more important later on. Keep reading, you will encounter him :).
May 15, 2016 6:49 PM
Jan 2011
Zefyris said:
Rhys2753 said:

A character that will get more important later on. Keep reading, you will encounter him :).

But if he's supposed to have been in the first novel that I just finished, where was he mentioned? (In case Yen Press gave him a different name like Pecho/Pezzo)

EDIT: Scratch that, the 2 FBI agents mentioned him. You guys weren't kidding about brief, here I was thinking you were referring to Edward Noah or something.
Rhys2753May 15, 2016 7:01 PM
May 16, 2016 3:51 AM

Apr 2013
Rhys2753 said:
Zefyris said:

But if he's supposed to have been in the first novel that I just finished, where was he mentioned? (In case Yen Press gave him a different name like Pecho/Pezzo)

EDIT: Scratch that, the 2 FBI agents mentioned him. You guys weren't kidding about brief, here I was thinking you were referring to Edward Noah or something.

Oh, that.
Yes, that's the only thing about victor Talbot in the first novel indeed.
May 27, 2016 10:28 AM

Oct 2015
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (sorry if it isn't), but seeing as this is the discussion about the first volume and seems to be recently active. I figure this is the best place to have my question answered timely. So anyways I picked up the first volume of Baccano! and obviously want record my reading of Baccano! on MAL. But I am not sure how to record the chapters. There are the 3 main chapters, but also 2 epilogues and a prologue that, all together covering roughly 32 pages. I feel that individually they aren't enought to be given their own chapters. But I also feel like it adds enough to the story to not be ignored. So I am not sure as to how to count the prologue and epilogues and was wandering how other readers have counted them?

Thank you for your feedback.
May 27, 2016 10:57 AM
Mar 2014
well..usually a manga/anime you read/watch in pieces since it comes out a little at a time, but a novel you generally read all at once since it's a complete story, so it's more likely that everyone will be on the same page with regard to the content when you say you're reviewing book 1.

IMO, you could just do a long post split into parts on your thoughts of each of section, since they're distinct enough that it does help to discuss each portion.
Jun 3, 2016 6:27 PM
Jan 2011
RM_MXDJ said:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (sorry if it isn't), but seeing as this is the discussion about the first volume and seems to be recently active. I figure this is the best place to have my question answered timely. So anyways I picked up the first volume of Baccano! and obviously want record my reading of Baccano! on MAL. But I am not sure how to record the chapters. There are the 3 main chapters, but also 2 epilogues and a prologue that, all together covering roughly 32 pages. I feel that individually they aren't enought to be given their own chapters. But I also feel like it adds enough to the story to not be ignored. So I am not sure as to how to count the prologue and epilogues and was wandering how other readers have counted them?

Thank you for your feedback.

If prologues/epilogues exceeds 5 pages of content, it counts as a chapter, so volume 1 has 6 chapters total

EDIT: that 5 page rule is for bonus chapters in manga, got them mixed up, but yeah, for novels all prologues/epilogues count as chapters
Rhys2753Jun 4, 2016 12:21 AM
Jun 4, 2016 7:04 AM

Oct 2015
Thank you Rhys2753.
Oct 3, 2017 4:55 PM

Jul 2013
Re-read the first novel again, and it was just as enjoyable as the first time. My favourite scenes included the gandor brothers Russian roulette, Isaac and Miria coming to the realisation that by stealing some chocolate they're essentially killing kids, and the scene where Isaac and Miria essentially crash Firos ceremony. This time around I'm noticing just how much of an influence Isaac and Miria are on the story, without their interference the plot of the first novel could have gone on a completely different path.

I'm looking forward to volume 2, which should be arriving any day now.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

More topics from this board

» NaritaVerse is dead?

Bleachtard_N1 - Nov 28, 2022

7 by Connort1998 »»
Apr 14, 3:52 AM

» How many chapters?

Jsar0 - Sep 6, 2023

1 by cloudairship »»
Sep 7, 2023 7:34 PM

» Is the LN finished?

Unalina - May 9, 2021

3 by iamJericho7 »»
Sep 16, 2022 4:43 AM

» Should I read baccano?

Dillon18-07 - Oct 19, 2017

3 by Roy2Epic »»
Jan 2, 2022 11:24 AM

» Which should i start with, the manga or the anime?

churrnobyl - Nov 7, 2021

1 by RayRaivern »»
Dec 8, 2021 8:53 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.