Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jun 1, 2008 4:02 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
There is nothing inherently wrong or unwanted in bias, because that is the basis for any subjective preference (any human-made preference is subjective; anyone who claims themself to be objective about their preferences is just fooling themself). And that being said, it is exactly what I want to know: what people like.

However, as demonstrated in this thread, there is always a bad way to do things.
Jun 1, 2008 7:50 PM
Jul 2018
Anime is a form of entertainment (though to some, it's a way of life -_-).

With entertainment, the main point is that you need to be able to enjoy it in some way. Most of the things we rate in relation to anime funnel into that end.

We want our anime to be beautifully animated or at least appropriately represented because if it is, it's more enjoyable. We want music to be well orchestrated and appropriately used within the context of what it's trying to accomplish because doing so helps accentuate what's happening in the anime (thus making it easier to understand and more enjoyable).

We want a good story (sometimes with depth and sometimes without it -- both are a unique flavor and both have their pluses and minuses. note that I seperate good and depth. the two are different things). When a story is good, it's more entertaining and enjoyable rather than incoherent and frustrating.

We want memorable, lively, and sometimes realistic characters because those elements make it easier for us to relate to them, understand them, and enjoy experiencing a story with them at its core.

Everything goes back down to enjoyment.

Saying that you didn't enjoy something is fine. enjoyment in itself is somewhat subjective as different people find enjoyment in different elements -- it's not totally subjective as production quality isn't subjective, it's very objective. What you can't take away from an anime whether you like it or not is that it's well produced.

Even if you take away TTGL's (and CG's) stories and characters because of personal biases and hating them, you can't take away the truth that both are very well animated and flavorful in their designs (for a weekly release anime). you can't take away the truth that both have at the very least sufficient musical scripts. you can't take away the truth that both have done a great job putting together a competent cast of VAs.

You can't take away the truth that both try to put you in a very good position to enjoy their stories and their characters.

Whenever I see an anime that respects its viewers with that very basic (but not always given) effort, I return that respect to the anime and it's creators by not making trashy comments or totally biased and idiotic claims about it or the people that enjoy it (like what has happened in this topic).

If something is enjoyable and put in the effort to be so, just let it be instead of being all ass hurt that it's actually being enjoyed by people.
Jun 2, 2008 3:12 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Brian333 said:
enjoyment in itself is somewhat subjective as different people find enjoyment in different elements -- it's not totally subjective as production quality isn't subjective, it's very objective. What you can't take away from an anime whether you like it or not is that it's well produced.

Even if you take away TTGL's (and CG's) stories and characters because of personal biases and hating them, you can't take away the truth that both are very well animated and flavorful in their designs (for a weekly release anime). you can't take away the truth that both have at the very least sufficient musical scripts. you can't take away the truth that both have done a great job putting together a competent cast of VAs.

You can't take away the truth that both try to put you in a very good position to enjoy their stories and their characters.

Sorry to interrupt, but, while your point is agreeable, all this is still totally subjective. Production "quality" isn't something inherent to different anime products; to appraise it, you need to compare one anime with some other from your experience and decide which you like more. You don't scientifically determine if the VAs are fitting to the characters they portray, you do it by judging whether do you think they fit. Same with the rest.

If you're doing it the first time, you obviously don't have any material to compare with, which is the prime reason many of us got hooked to nonsensical super robot TV series, or Pokemon, or something else neat and stupid, as little kids in late 80s or early 90s. But as our experience grew, we turned to other things because these didn't entertain us anymore (barring nostalgia reasons). Still, they entertained us a lot when we were seeing them for the first time. This is called floating standards. Judging the "effort to entertain" is very, very misleading.

I would go as far as to say drawing any lines between what's good/right/fitting in certain anime and what's not (or any other form of art) on a non-personal level, and expect anyone else to agree upon them, is utterly naive.
Jun 2, 2008 5:04 AM
Jul 2018
moozooh said:
Sorry to interrupt, but, while your point is agreeable, all this is still totally subjective. Production "quality" isn't something inherent to different anime products; to appraise it, you need to compare one anime with some other from your experience and decide which you like more. You don't scientifically determine if the VAs are fitting to the characters they portray, you do it by judging whether do you think they fit. Same with the rest.

when looking at production, quality is rather scientific. that's why a lot of things that are higher budget productions naturally have better production quality. it's not subjective like you're suggesting. there are numerous controllable factors in the quality of an anime because quality is something you have to pay for most of the time.

you have to pay for a higher frame rate (and thus better animation fluidity). you have to pay for the ability to make your individual frames more detailed and sometimes more colorful. you have to pay for things like CG supported animation (like we see in rebuild and stuff).

all those things help the quality of animation. this isn't subjective. there is a quality gap between a animation work done at 15 frames and one done at 60 frames. there is a quality gap in work that depends on how many key frames there are.

the same goes for music. there is a noticeable difference between getting a masterpiece music script composed by a world renowned musician and performed by a world renowned orchestra and using some locally composed and performed piece. Dishing out the cash and putting in the effort to really sign on and take advantage of good music talent for intros, ending, and insert tracks helps the presentation of anime. this isn't subjective.

if quality was totally subjective, then why are certain directors paid more than others? it's because they guarantee quality and bring it with them to whatever they touch.

first time or not, I know something shitty when I see it. it doesn't matter if I've seen another sample of anime. if something has stick figures for frame detail and runs at 15 frames with music that sounds like it's from some 8-bit videogame soundtrack all while failing to portray and eventually butchering a deep, touching, and great story, I know something is wrong.

I know that I'm going to be pissed because I KNOW that the effort is not there.

And like I said, this is about enjoyment. I don't care if it's the best of its class or how it compares to other works. The end point is do I enjoy it? When the quality is there, it's naturally easier to enjoy and thus I respect that effort enough to not post trashy comments of idiotic statements regarding a work and its fans.
removed-userJun 2, 2008 5:09 AM
Jun 5, 2008 4:58 PM

Aug 2007
When a show like Geass comes along and the fanboys start pouring in, you lose sight of some great works that a few years ago were still remembered. Just because something is new and shiny doesn't mean it should rock your socks.

Geass is flomping in Japan anyway, that's why I don't waste my time with it, even though I've seen a bit of it. I hope it gets cancelled, though I know that won't happen because it's all about selling the DVDs to fanboys who most likely won't even watch them.
Jun 21, 2008 4:28 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Brian333 said:
when looking at production, quality is rather scientific. that's why a lot of things that are higher budget productions naturally have better production quality. it's not subjective like you're suggesting. there are numerous controllable factors in the quality of an anime because quality is something you have to pay for most of the time.

This covers only a part of the "container", and much less the "content", and thus doesn't play much of a role to me. The amount of budget says nothing about how much I will enjoy the piece; moreover, it doesn't warrant anything at all.

I mean, I spent months on ADoM, a free ASCII roguelike. No presentation, no budget, but months of pure and honest enjoyment. What does that say about quality, or effort, or anything?

Brian333 said:
if quality was totally subjective, then why are certain directors paid more than others? it's because they guarantee quality and bring it with them to whatever they touch.

Ignoring the directors that make their own movies, a director is seen as an investment that will supposedly increase the revenue through their superior direction, or just their name. "Guaranteed quality" is a myth; sucky movies happen all the time, if not most of the time, not matter how much does the director want for his job.

See also: team sports. You can invest a hundred millions in a player that has an impressive list of achievements, but there's a good chance they'll doesn't change anything for your team, or even make it worse due to the lack of proper team play from their side.

Brian333 said:
first time or not, I know something shitty when I see it. it doesn't matter if I've seen another sample of anime.

That's excellent, did you use this line of reasoning in the pre-teen age, too? Even with the first cartoons/movies/books/whatever you've been exposed to? Otherwise you did have something to refer to prior to the appraisement, and believe it or not, every bit matters.

Brian333 said:
if something has stick figures for frame detail and runs at 15 frames with music that sounds like it's from some 8-bit videogame soundtrack all while failing to portray and eventually butchering a deep, touching, and great story, I know something is wrong.

I know that I'm going to be pissed because I KNOW that the effort is not there.

What if that was the author's intent? Or what if the "deep, touching, and great story" never existed in the first place, being just an illusion fueled by your frustration?

It's just me, but I'm of the opinion that things like that, once detected and believed in, can't be hindered by a lacking presentation, unless it's presentation you want to see and not the story behind it. Because your words made it sound as if all the pioneering endeavours in the field of arts, be it literature, cinematography, drawn arts, performed arts, etc., were all failures from the start back when no sufficient production quality you're talking of was even technically achievable.

The first cartoons were even worse than what you've just described, and believe me, no-one at the time complained about presentation. The fact that now the audience would likely endlessly complain about having an all-around great story encased in a presentation from the "before-technology" era just tells how spoiled it has become. Because when art turns into an industry, form prevails over matter, because it's easier to relate to by the audience, and thus easier to make profit off.

Brian333 said:
And like I said, this is about enjoyment. I don't care if it's the best of its class or how it compares to other works. The end point is do I enjoy it? When the quality is there, it's naturally easier to enjoy and thus I respect that effort enough to not post trashy comments of idiotic statements regarding a work and its fans.

Well, whatever floats your boat!
Jun 22, 2008 11:44 PM
Jul 2018
moozooh said:

This covers only a part of the "container", and much less the "content", and thus doesn't play much of a role to me. The amount of budget says nothing about how much I will enjoy the piece; moreover, it doesn't warrant anything at all.

I mean, I spent months on ADoM, a free ASCII roguelike. No presentation, no budget, but months of pure and honest enjoyment. What does that say about quality, or effort, or anything?

First, the logic in your words is flawed. If a container doesn't exist then nothing is contained and thus there is no content. We all know that with anime, that is not the case. There are always ideas before there is a container. They might be brilliant ideas but the expression of them in a visual medium is what dictates exactly how we understand those ideas.

This is coming from someone who works within the arts. I've seen plenty of work that has great, great ideas behind it but the execution was so poor that they wouldn't transfer to the viewers. The result? People walk away from your work with nothing. Your ideas don't matter if people can't see and understand them.

moozooh said:

That's great but did you ever stop to think about what exactly was expressed? I'm not familiar with ADoM but I have a rough idea about the situation you're describing. You're talking about appropriateness. With the situation you were dealing with, the content was appropriately represented. If it was something upscale, it would lose the charm that comes with being a roguelike.

I played DnD and ADnD when I was young. We've seen the countless videogame spin-offs that have emerged from the D20 system and yet the reality of the situation is that they never had the allure or thrill of holding actual dice in your hands and throwing them out. None of those games could capture the freedom and flexibility of DnD. For the content, paper and pencil was the appropriate medium and gaming technology at that point simply wasn't good enough to represent it appropriately (and it still isn't even now).

So, when looking at anime, sometimes the content dictates exactly what quality of animation there needs to be. If it's something very informal (like Chibi Maruko-chan or Crayon Shin-chan) then a looser, more childish form of animation is definitely acceptable. But, if we're dealing with something like CG, Ghost in the Shell or Evangelion, you're going to need the presentation power to get your points across. Countless series have been butchered by bad animation. Great manga originals have been totally dismantled when adapted into anime.

So no, you don't need something to compare it to. Quality is quality. Just because you can get away with a lower standard of work because of appropriateness doesn't mean quality isn't quality. And my point was that with relevant work (and the work I originally referenced was TTGL and CG) you need that quality for the content to be properly communicated. It was given in both cases so I'll respect that very basic effort and give them the pat on their backs they deserve.

moozooh said:
Ignoring the directors that make their own movies, a director is seen as an investment that will supposedly increase the revenue through their superior direction, or just their name. "Guaranteed quality" is a myth; sucky movies happen all the time, if not most of the time, not matter how much does the director want for his job.

See also: team sports. You can invest a hundred millions in a player that has an impressive list of achievements, but there's a good chance they'll doesn't change anything for your team, or even make it worse due to the lack of proper team play from their side.

Guaranteed quality is not a myth and I don't see how you could possibly say that. If you're dealing with a rookie director fresh out of film school compared to someone like Steven Spielberg, there is going to be a huge and noticeable gap in vision and intelligence. Sure, Steven Spielberg has had his fair share of bad or mediocre films but the truth of the situation is that his batting average is pretty good compared to some other directors. Coincidence? No. It's the professionalism he brings to the work.

And team sports? Why are you comparing the director to a mere player? If we're dealing with the director, it's more proper to compare it to the coach or manager of the team. As for that aspect, we've seen what a good coach can do for a team. Referencing basketball, sure, Phil Jackson is probably overrated and was out-coached by Doc Rivers this year but no one is going to deny that he has done a fabulous job managing his players and maximizing their production in the past. Red Auerbach? He shaped those Boston teams in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. You think people like them don't guarantee anything?

That's excellent, did you use this line of reasoning in the pre-teen age, too? Even with the first cartoons/movies/books/whatever you've been exposed to? Otherwise you did have something to refer to prior to the appraisement, and believe it or not, every bit matters.

Yep, I did and if you think about it, it was something innate to life. What happens when you're a small child and pick up your first comic? If it is black and white, bland, has bad drawings and massive amounts of text that make little sense and are weakly tied to visual content, your interest in it isn't going to outlast your curiosity and you're going to get bored and scuttle off to do something that's more entertaining.

Now, if it has a captivating story, beautiful drawings and amazing colors, interesting page formatting and charismatic characters, then it's a different story. Like what I've been saying with quality in anime, if the quality and effort is there, it's naturally easier to accept and thus I respect that basic effort.

Moozooh said:
What if that was the author's intent?

That's fine. If his goal is to create something that has unbearably bad production quality and he succeeds, then fine. That doesn't change the fact that it has unbearably bad production quality. It also doesn't mean I should magically respect or honor his work in any way.

Moozooh said:
It's just me, but I'm of the opinion that things like that, once detected and believed in, can't be hindered by a lacking presentation, unless it's presentation you want to see and not the story behind it. Because your words made it sound as if all the pioneering endeavours in the field of arts, be it literature, cinematography, drawn arts, performed arts, etc., were all failures from the start back when no sufficient production quality you're talking of was even technically achievable.

Unless it's the presentation we want to see and not the story behind it? I've said it once and I'll say it again. the presentation and exactly what we read as the story are intrinsically linked. Referencing what you said before...

moozooh said:
What if that was the author's intent? Or what if the "deep, touching, and great story" never existed in the first place, being just an illusion fueled by your frustration?

...if the presentation isn't there, even if there was a beautiful story behind it, it might just end as an illusion fueled by frustration.

And as for your reference of early, "primative" work, you realize that when looking at old works, we try to understand context and judge by a set of criteria reserved for that context? They weren't "failures from the start" because when they were originally created, they were working with the standards of days long past. Looking at Disney's early work, the way it used multiplane technicolor was at the forefront of production quality at that time. What was the result? It took the representation of an idea and a story to a different level. When sound was first introduced to film works, it added a totally different dimension to the representation of a story.

moozooh said:
The first cartoons were even worse than what you've just described, and believe me, no-one at the time complained about presentation. The fact that now the audience would likely endlessly complain about having an all-around great story encased in a presentation from the "before-technology" era just tells how spoiled it has become. Because when art turns into an industry, form prevails over matter, because it's easier to relate to by the audience, and thus easier to make profit off.

Of course no one at the time complained about the production. At the time, they lived by a different set of standards. If you were to present an audience today with a film animation from the 30s, and told the audience to judge it by today's standards without any biases or preconceived notions, it would be horribly received because it would be so far under status quo that its great story would not be fully absorbed by the audience. How does that mean we're spoiled? If everyone was just satisfied with the same old thing decade after decade, we'd be going no where fast. Why doesn't the entire human civilization go back to living in caves, farming, and catching wildlife? Damn, I guess we're all just a bunch of spoiled brats.

Technology develops. Film and animation develop with it. Computers have made things possible that no one could ever imagine 200 years ago and with new dreams comes new standards. You're saying that when art turns into an industry (and it is called the film industry), form prevails over matter. I'll just say that the arts have always been about either form follows function or function follows form and in the entirety of its existence, that has never changed.

If the function of something is to entertain, then the form will constantly and endlessly progress in an effort to pursue that function. If something's form was its utmost priority from the get-go, then even that will constantly develop and change as its creator evolves.
removed-userJun 22, 2008 11:59 PM
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

yuzuko - Apr 20, 2008

239 by Delritos »»
Mar 29, 9:00 PM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Sep 28, 2008

1901 by DarkVoyagerx »»
Mar 25, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Aug 17, 2008

435 by Dante9231 »»
Feb 21, 2:23 AM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - Jun 29, 2008

291 by Dante9231 »»
Feb 20, 2:21 AM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Sep 14, 2008

305 by Beatnik »»
Feb 17, 11:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.