Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 19, 2012 6:01 AM

Oct 2010
Seiji fuels some character development in Kaoru and Sentarou. It's nice to see those other sides of them. I guess it adds more realism to the show. And the more realistic it is, the more others can relate, right? Yeap, good stuff there.

But I don't like him. Just seeing him, ugh.

And I'm guessing the guy at the end is Jun? ;_;
[insert awesome signature here]
May 19, 2012 6:47 AM
Jun 2008
Hexagon love relationship...
its getting more complex but I will stick to Bon X Sentarou till the end.
May 19, 2012 7:49 AM

Aug 2007
Totentanz said:
This episode once again showed how refined every character is.
Seiji seems to be a quite flamboyant and manipulative guy, yet I think he's honest in regard to his family situation and his dream of becoming famous is most likely fueled by the wish to escape his narrow environment which is why he displays such an exuberant attitude.

It's a good thing that he brought out a different side from both Kaoru and Sentarou.
We see a softer side from Sentarou as he seems to feel compassion for Seiji as he can easily relate to the situation the slim boy mentioned

Despite being aware of his own irrational feelings Kaoru can't help but feel betrayed by Sentarou and sees Seiji as a threat to their friendship, having experienced how easily friendships can cease to exist. It shows how Kaoru still has a long way to go concerning social skills and that one has to be able to adapt to changes in one's life. Expecting him to have changed completely after making friends with Ritsuko and Sentarou would have been unrealistic.

While many seem to regard the new character as an unpleasant addition to this series, it's still a neccessary development to make Kaoru realize that one can't claim a monopoly for someone's friendship. Without doubt he will grow to a more mature person after this conflict.

That's more or less how I feel. I don't understand why people are whining over this guy. He just helps see that Kaoru is still the lonely kid from his childhood, and Sentaro is more or less the only person he ever had such a close bond to. It's understandable that he'd feel so threatened.

I can believe that Seiji comes from a poor family; when you live in poverty, it can really change you as a person.

The only annoying thing about him is that he treats music as a potential cash cow, instead of actually liking and appreciating music. Sentaro was a real musician and a real admirer of the arts. Seiji is just using it, as he is with everyone else.

It brings a new edge to the show. And while it's sad to say that it just doesn't quite as amazing as it did at first. I think it's instead turning itself more into a refined character drama, I can get behind this.

May 19, 2012 8:46 AM

Jul 2011
This gay boy is so annoying and colorful, just don't fit with the rest of the characters of this series, a really fail in my opinion.
May 19, 2012 8:48 AM

Jun 2008
wishbook said:
Dammit......................The scenes that I anticipated aren't included at all.

They chopped off SO many scenes in this episode, a total of what could be 5 minutes of additional scenes. It annoyed the hell outta me, hence this episode is the worst episode so far, with too many omitted scenes and downgrade animation in terms of drawing detail, plus the melodrama between Kaoru and Sen. There are also weird transitions between scenes, such as when Kaoru throw away his clams. Suddenly in less than a second he is walking away from Sen. It's like watching a video in a 4x fast forward mode.

Overall this episode sucks.

2/5

weeknd said:
there was a couple parts skipped that were in the manga but that's normal nowkdls; xnx it was pretty good though o:

and i also thought that nobuhiko's hair was blonde xD

Yeah me too. Because Sentarou's hair is colored gray in the manga, I thought Seiji's white hair would be blonde-colored in the anime. But maybe its not too realistic for a Japanese to have blonde hair in 60's.

You got it right in the first sentence. The series is now so chopped up the scenes no longer makes sense anymore because the best parts, the discussions, the background information is being left out. Example, there was a whole scene about my Kauro's mom left him. It wasn't even touched upon in the anime. I'm about to take the rating down to an 7 or 8 because of this hack job.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

May 19, 2012 10:41 AM

Feb 2012
sbyrstall said:
wishbook said:
Dammit......................The scenes that I anticipated aren't included at all.

They chopped off SO many scenes in this episode, a total of what could be 5 minutes of additional scenes. It annoyed the hell outta me, hence this episode is the worst episode so far, with too many omitted scenes and downgrade animation in terms of drawing detail, plus the melodrama between Kaoru and Sen. There are also weird transitions between scenes, such as when Kaoru throw away his clams. Suddenly in less than a second he is walking away from Sen. It's like watching a video in a 4x fast forward mode.

2/5

weeknd said:
there was a couple parts skipped that were in the manga but that's normal nowkdls; xnx it was pretty good though o:

Yeah me too. Because Sentarou's hair is colored gray in the manga, I thought Seiji's white hair would be blonde-colored in the anime. But maybe its not too realistic for a Japanese to have blonde hair in 60's.

You got it right in the first sentence. The series is now so chopped up the scenes no longer makes sense anymore because the best parts, the discussions, the background information is being left out. Example, there was a whole scene about my Kauro's mom left him. It wasn't even touched upon in the anime. I'm about to take the rating down to an 7 or 8 because of this hack job.

I like that they cut that scene cause I found it to be very very stupid and overly melodramatic I am watching anime not telenovela.
May 19, 2012 11:06 AM

Feb 2012
danilo07 said:
I like that they cut that scene cause I found it to be very very stupid and overly melodramatic I am watching anime not telenovela.

But this episode was melodramatic to begin with.

No matter how you look at it, this problem is symptomatic of Sakamichi no Apollon being wrongfully compressed into one cour.
May 19, 2012 11:55 AM

Jan 2008
MissileSoup said:
I felt like the scene before the opening, with the wind breezing past Ritsuko's skirt was hinting at her feelings for Kaoru swaying.

For what it's worth, I definitely think so too.
May 19, 2012 11:58 AM

Oct 2010
Hakuromatsu said:
No matter how you look at it, this problem is symptomatic of Sakamichi no Apollon being wrongfully compressed into one cour.

I really hope that the next episode won't be compressed at all.

Its my favorite moment in the manga.

danilo07 said:
sbyrstall said:
wishbook said:

2/5

weeknd said:

No, that scene is actually very necessary. In the manga, Kaoru's mom is portrayed as a strong-hearted woman who struggles against all odds in her life. She swore not to cry in front of Kaoru, despite all of her sadness and despair.

In the anime she's just a typical irresponsible, weak mother who doesn't even try to hold her tears in front of her son, even if she know that by doing so would probably make her son sad and puzzled.
Reim_SeranthMay 19, 2012 12:15 PM

~ IA- Aria on the Planetes ~ Vocaloid V3 voiced by LiA (Clannad Afterstory, Angel Beats! theme song singer)
May 19, 2012 12:27 PM

Oct 2010
Well, from my point of view, one of Seiji's creation purposes is for him to be 'the receiver of all fangirls hate and rage' within Sen x Bon shippers' community, so that both Yurika and Ritsuko may be spared from all the hate. :p
LunaMay 21, 2012 12:07 AM

~ IA- Aria on the Planetes ~ Vocaloid V3 voiced by LiA (Clannad Afterstory, Angel Beats! theme song singer)
May 19, 2012 12:34 PM

Feb 2012
wishbook said:
Hakuromatsu said:

danilo07 said:
sbyrstall said:
wishbook said:

2/5

weeknd said:

No, that scene is actually very necessary. In the manga, Kaoru's mom is portrayed as a strong-hearted woman who struggles against all odds in her life. She swore not to cry in front of Kaoru, despite all of her sadness and despair.

In the anime she's just a typical irresponsible, weak mother who doesn't even try to hold her tears in front of her son, even if she know that by doing so would probably make her son sad and puzzled.

Well having a loving, good,strong mother who wants to protect child but she can not cause society rejects her is cliche in melodrama genre.Being irresponsible and crying in front of you son is more realistic.
May 19, 2012 12:50 PM

Oct 2010
danilo07 said:
wishbook said:
Hakuromatsu said:

danilo07 said:
sbyrstall said:
wishbook said:

2/5

weeknd said:

Well having a loving, good,strong mother who wants to protect child but she can not cause society rejects her is cliche in melodrama genre.Being irresponsible and crying in front of you son is more realistic.

Actually it would be better if she did intend to cry all out in front of Kaoru from the start, which makes her the 'irresponsible type' as you said. But what happened in the anime is, she cried in front of Kaoru unintentionally, which means that:

1. She failed in holding back her tears. That proves her to be weaker than her manga counterpart. In the anime it looks like she doesn't make any effort in holding back her tears at all. But in the manga it is clear that she is struggling inside.
2. The anime decided to show her shedding tears without any backing story to that. That's a plot hole, something that make us questions "Why?" but will never be answered. I prefer the story to be cliched but explained well, rather than it trying to be uniquely mysterious but leaving a plothole behind.

May 19, 2012 1:12 PM

Feb 2012
wishbook said:
danilo07 said:
wishbook said:
Hakuromatsu said:

danilo07 said:
sbyrstall said:
wishbook said:

2/5

weeknd said:

Actually it would be better if she did intend to cry all out in front of Kaoru from the start, which makes her the 'irresponsible type' as you said. But what happened in the anime is, she cried in front of Kaoru unintentionally, which means that:

1. She failed in holding back her tears. That proves her to be weaker than her manga counterpart. In the anime it looks like she doesn't make any effort in holding back her tears at all. But in the manga it is clear that she is struggling inside.
2. The anime decided to show her shedding tears without any backing story to that. That's a plot hole, something that make us questions "Why?" but will never be answered. I prefer the story to be cliched but explained well, rather than it trying to be uniquely mysterious but leaving a plothole behind.

You have wrong definition of plot hole here is little bit from wikipedia on it "While many stories have unanswered questions, unlikely events or chance occurrences, a plot hole is one that is essential to the story's outcome." Her back story was not needed for that episodes purpose which is Kaoru maturing and like I previously said it was a cliche.
May 19, 2012 2:34 PM

Jan 2012
Ahmer said:
damn ended so quickly i guess that guy at the end was Jun!

lanachan said:
Seiji fuels some character development in Kaoru and Sentarou. It's nice to see those other sides of them. I guess it adds more realism to the show. And the more realistic it is, the more others can relate, right? Yeap, good stuff there.

But I don't like him. Just seeing him, ugh.

And I'm guessing the guy at the end is Jun? ;_;

ad stellas super alas angeli.

May 19, 2012 4:13 PM
Dec 2008
The only thing bad about this episode is Seiji's tooth. I can get over it but I would have liked it if it wasn't that exaggerated.I really like theses characters compared to those of other animes of the same genre.

Also, I wonder what happened to Jun at the end.
May 19, 2012 6:40 PM

Jan 2011
The tooth pissed me off so much.
May 19, 2012 9:00 PM

Nov 2008
That new kid may not be a bad person or anything, but I don't like that he's getting in between Sentarou and Kaoru's friendship.....

Poor Kaoru, I can understand where he's coming from, but leaving Sentarou like that broke my heart : (

I hope they fix things next episode...
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

May 20, 2012 1:51 AM

Mar 2008
I dislike the changes that they made this episode, not bad, but too much melodrama (as far as I can recall it wasn't like that in the manga, was resolved way quicker and I prefer it that way)..
well, it was still good, but could have been better
May 20, 2012 2:47 AM

Aug 2010
I like how this anime deals with the characters emotions and development but I wish everyone stopped falling in love :s (I'm a romance anime fan but this is getting a little off) also that new guy...I dislike him already, i don't give a damn if his circumstances are real or a load of crap but I don't like the way he smooth talks his way through things
May 20, 2012 3:42 AM

Jun 2010
Fvcking gay! Is that new character a gay? I don't even know but he's annoying as shit. Damn.
May 20, 2012 4:23 AM

Jan 2011
The episode is pretty well, and well it brought out more from the characters especially Kaoru. I actually thought they were going to try and play a beetles' track, makes me excited to see if Sen would really go and play for the new guy.
May 20, 2012 5:16 AM

Jun 2008
sajpowell said:
This is an issue I have with a lot of characters, not just this one. Why do many anime characters have incisors that stick out? They either look like dogs or vampires...and I know SnA doesn't have any vampires in it.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

May 20, 2012 5:54 AM

Mar 2012
Im impressed on how they cut some manga parts while that the story doesn't get so messed up... but also disappointed because this is an adaptation giving us a complete different scenario and characters personality from manga... the pace now is very fast... and degrading after each episode.. or maybe i just like manga more.
i cant rate this anime anymore... ill leave it to non manga readers.
Still continues to be one of best show this year!
huntxMay 20, 2012 9:44 AM
May 20, 2012 12:20 PM

Jul 2008
Where the hell is the jazz? This show is going downhill.
May 20, 2012 2:30 PM

Aug 2009
So that's how emos used to be in the middle of the 20th century.
May 20, 2012 3:00 PM

Mar 2008
One couple... two couple... three couple...
We're halfway through the series and why the only romance that seems to be progressing is bromance?
Yaoi feelings...
May 20, 2012 9:22 PM
Jun 2010
I don't like gay characters appear in anime very much.
it's easy way to keep the story.
May 21, 2012 7:54 AM
May 2012
HunterHearts said:
i really wanted to see more in this episode. what is wrong with sentaro? the beatles? come on!

What's wrong with the Beatles? lol
May 22, 2012 3:27 AM

May 2008
Man that new guy is kinda @_@. Similar experiences can really ruin your life huh. if Kaoru didnt experience it before perhaps he would believe Sentaro

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 23, 2012 7:27 AM

Apr 2011
I hate this new gay... ekhm, I mean guy. Toady. Hope that he won't have much screen time. And what's wrong with his teeth!? He looks like cat or vampire!

(better looks like vampire cause he sparkles)

lol. Please, no more crap like this in this series. DD:
May 23, 2012 11:47 AM

Mar 2011
That new guy is annoying. That bowl cut, the tooth, voice, flamboyancy. Everything.
May 23, 2012 7:27 PM

Feb 2009
Aw man, things are getting worse for him. The new guyWataru I think is a sweet talker, but no matter what he did he won't be able to hold on Sentarou for long.
May 24, 2012 8:00 AM

Nov 2007
Great episode! Very emotional toward the end.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
May 26, 2012 9:40 PM

Sep 2008
That goddamn tooth. I'm sure the guy would've been half as annoying without it.
May 27, 2012 5:12 AM

Aug 2008
sajpowell said:

Couldn't agree more.

Also, full ED out in a few days time. <3
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
May 28, 2012 12:25 PM

May 2012
I wish Sentarou will just ignore the new kid and come back to Kaoru
Jun 1, 2012 8:13 PM

Jul 2009
That faggy Beatles fan. Such a sore.
Oh and Kaoru sounded almost yaoi for Sentarou at the end there.
Though that just might be my inability to comprehend friendships. ~(ー_ー~)

And damn, I want a Lolex, too!
Jun 2, 2012 4:50 AM

Jun 2010
Hi there! I want to ask what does Nishimi means by saying this line:
to the guy with the glasses in the first 3mins of this episode.

I am not sure if I missed an episode about that scene or my memory has just gone so bad. Thanks in advance!
Jun 10, 2012 11:28 AM
Jul 2018
Kaoru is starting to annoy me.
Jun 12, 2012 10:26 PM

Nov 2011
Jun 24, 2012 11:53 AM

Jun 2010
I had to laugh out loud when Seiji first appeared. the guys' expressions when they saw him were also priceless XD
though later on he started acting more creepy than funny
Jul 1, 2012 3:48 PM

Sep 2011
Agree, new kid was pretty annoying.

Good episode nonetheless. xD
Jul 26, 2012 3:43 PM

Feb 2012
I didn't care so much for this episode. It wasn't bad as such, just the weakest one so far. Despite the addition of a new character it felt like nothing much happened here. And another episode without music as well.
Sep 3, 2012 7:06 AM

Nov 2011
Man, Kaeru is pretty annoying I have to say. =/. He makes drama out of nothing! I can't say I don't like drama, but I would prefer to have it made in appropriate situations! =P

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 6, 2012 6:36 AM

Jan 2012
gay anime is gay

brb annoying phaggot out of no where
brb MC is an emo bipolar attention whore faggot
Oct 12, 2012 9:29 PM

Nov 2009
Using a Beattles record to pique a Drummer's interest in to rock... Did they forget that the drumming in the Beattle's songs were easy enough that a novice could pick them up in a week? Maybe even less... Don't get me wrong the Beattles were a great band but drumming wasn't really their strong point. Aside from that kind of feel bad for both MC's, Sentarou is going to get blind sided by a girl who has no interest in him and Kaoru is gonna go back to not having any friends.
Jan 17, 2013 6:27 PM

Mar 2012
That fang.

yellowbuds said:
Hi there! I want to ask what does Nishimi means by saying this line:
to the guy with the glasses in the first 3mins of this episode.

I am not sure if I missed an episode about that scene or my memory has just gone so bad. Thanks in advance!

That was from the previous episode when Sentarou boarded the train with Kaoru to meet his mother. Maruo gave Sentarou that ticket.
Mar 9, 2013 10:47 AM

Nov 2008
The new guy annoys me. He acts like a gay as well :/
Jul 3, 2013 5:51 PM

Jan 2013
Kaeru is such a drama queen, jeez. I missed the JAZZ in this episode.
Jul 7, 2013 11:53 AM
Oct 2010
whos the faggot

poor kid didnt get any letters :( can see why he'd run away from sen like that

was that jun at the end? 0_0 was gonna take a break but that ending. MUST WATCH MORE
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

HawthorneKitty - Jun 28, 2012

462 by Nebbby312 »»
Apr 12, 10:17 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dltd - May 24, 2012

253 by defaulticus »»
Apr 9, 12:15 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

a6342164 - Apr 19, 2012

209 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Mar 30, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Pizzaholic - Apr 12, 2012

308 by onnongo »»
Feb 13, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2012

166 by lazypanda666 »»
Feb 5, 4:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.