MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for May 7 - 13
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» News Discussion »» Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for May 7 - 13

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
05-15-12, 6:16 AM

Studio Ghibli dominates this list. I have never watched a single movie though...

05-15-12, 6:21 AM

j0x said:
Parkur said:
Why is Mouretsu Pirates kicking so much ass? is it that good?

its dialogue heavy from the reviews and comments i read, it has less action too and no ecchi so must be a new formula for it to get so much sales, im curious too but still i wont watch it

It's essentially a cute girls doing cute things type show. It's not ecchi at all except for one shocking moment in the later episodes. Despite it's silliness, the story does have a strong base. It actually takes time to lay out the story and actions in a detailed manner. However, it does tend to be slow moving. If the dialogue and interaction between characters doesn't enthrall you, you'll get bored very quickly.

The animation and music are also strong points. I love the BGM with the celtic style rhythm.

05-15-12, 6:43 AM

great for Mouretsu Pirates....

05-15-12, 7:09 AM

jmal said:

phoenixalia said:
Is Moretsu sci fi and mecha? Cuz I can never get into those two genres no matter how good the anime is.

Weren't you despairing back when Mouretsu Volume 1 had power sales that shows like it didn't sell? I assumed that meant you were actually watching it, or had some reason to want it to succeed at any rate. Watch it!

It's a sci-fi setting definitely. Mecha, no. There are spaceships of course (they're space pirates after all), but that's it.

Looking forward to Volume 1 also maybe ranking again in the full list at the end of this week (it was right behind Volume 2 in the Thursday daily rankings) which would fill in 4 weeks worth of data, from wk7 to wk10.

That was before I watched it as well. I tend to route for almost all series even if I don't watch them. True, I don't like sci fi, but for the people who do like it, good sales are good right? Plus, I heard many reviews that that it was good.

05-15-12, 7:13 AM

Sir_Lexa said:
King_Zero said:
Is Horizon that good to get 20k sales? o_O

Well I haven't seen it but the MC girl has humongous boobs.

Its confusing as hell, but it has very nice art though. The reason it sold so much is because of the loyal fanbase from the novels are following it. They even commented that they were surprised at MAL's low scores on one of the Japanese boards (it was at 6.??/10 at the time).
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character thats for sure!"

05-15-12, 7:47 AM

Moretsu Pirates was pretty meh the first 13 episdoes or so. Once it actually started to live up to its American name, "Bodacious Space Pirates", it got better. I went into it looking for a pirate crew of cute girls.

05-15-12, 7:57 AM

Exkalamity said:
j0x said:
Parkur said:
Why is Mouretsu Pirates kicking so much ass? is it that good?

its dialogue heavy from the reviews and comments i read, it has less action too and no ecchi so must be a new formula for it to get so much sales, im curious too but still i wont watch it

It's what people describe as a "space opera" essentially the fun sci-adventure with a focus on a detailed, realistic universe. Much of the appeal comes from how detailed and technical the show is about space-travel while still managing to appeal to a wide/not-scientifically-literate audience. Secondly, the show prioritizes setting, characters, and plot (in that order, I think) over constant action/lasers/explosions and the like. Essentially I would go as far as to say it's one of the more intelligent shows currently airing. It's hard to call any show that mentions "Lagrange Points" in the correct context as unintelligent. Of course, such technical background is not needed to understand and enjoy the show; it's just that these little details can really please the viewer that catches on to them.

oh ok well i might as well watch it then i love sci-fi and very much like to know about outer space science in a anime way

@jmal

i read your point but i think ill go with Exkalamity's explanation since we all know how most japanese love them science and technology and mixing it on a anime in a realistic manner tends to attract them i guess XD

05-15-12, 8:29 AM

I want to slap all 6000 people who bought Mouretsu Pirates because that show is sickeningly bad. Especially since it has immoral lesbians in it now.

They're not pirates, they're not bodacious, and they're only in space occasionally. False advertisement at its finest.
Ok™

05-15-12, 8:37 AM

Moralfag detected. Kill him with fire >:-)

05-15-12, 8:39 AM

McRib said:
they're not bodacious

You do realise only the English name has bodacious in it, right?

05-15-12, 8:52 AM

mitch3315 said:

You do realise only the English name has bodacious in it, right?

Yes, the English title that's in both the Japanese TV broadcast and in the Crunchyroll nonsense that we get in the western world. That obviously doesn't mean anything since it definitely isn't plastered across everything in both English and Japanese or anything.
Ok™

05-15-12, 8:54 AM

Nachtwandler_21 said:

Actually McRib is just trolling, I remember him doing this at the end of Yosuga no Sora, his trolling calmed my rage over the series.

05-15-12, 9:23 AM

Hoppy said:
Nachtwandler_21 said:

Actually McRib is just trolling, I remember him doing this at the end of Yosuga no Sora, his trolling calmed my rage over the series.

Yeah, I remember this too. He watched mainly ecchi and fanservice stuff, yet always appears in topics bashing their morality. Theres only one word I can think of for that behavior.

05-15-12, 9:52 AM

McRib said:
I want to slap all 6000 people who bought Mouretsu Pirates because that show is sickeningly bad. Especially since it has immoral lesbians in it now.

They're not pirates, they're not bodacious, and they're only in space occasionally. False advertisement at its finest.

I was annoyed too that pirating basically means to service customers in this series.

You don't have to go into the series for the sci-fi or the pirating, you have to watch it for the slice-of-life show it is - which happens to have a space-ish setting. I managed to get some enjoyment out of it because it really has a good focus on details and subplots even though it's basically a fanservice show (Nobody would care for it it it wasn't all teenage girls on the cast, nobody except me :P). It's definitely not a bad show, but it's not my favorite kind of anime genre-wise and that wasn't entirely obvious before it aired.

Anyway, neither hate nor overly praise are called for regarding this show in my opinion.
Check out our new Simul Watch CLUB and join if you're interested!

If Death Note is "chess", LotGH is "3D Chess." - lisnoire
Code Geass would be Rock-Paper-Scissors in this analogy.
Guilty Crown? - Go Fish!

05-15-12, 10:20 AM

all hail one piece nothing more nothing less

05-15-12, 10:49 AM

I don't get why people hate Mouretsu Pirates, but I'm glad it's up high in the rankings, maybe chance for a 2nd season.

05-15-12, 11:24 AM

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
(Nobody would care for it it it wasn't all teenage girls on the cast, nobody except me :P)

Huh? I prefer the actual crew of the Bentenmaru over the yacht club (except for Jenny, but she's the only standout). It's wrong to say that it's an all teenage girl cast when Marika is the only crewmember of the Bentenmaru who is a teenage girl, though Chiaki and the two princesses have tagged along.
Currently blogging at Chocolate Syrupy Waffles

05-15-12, 12:20 PM

Ovindel said:
I don't get why people hate Mouretsu Pirates, but I'm glad it's up high in the rankings, maybe chance for a 2nd season.

It all depends.

05-15-12, 1:03 PM

Meddigo said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
(Nobody would care for it it it wasn't all teenage girls on the cast, nobody except me :P)

Huh? I prefer the actual crew of the Bentenmaru over the yacht club (except for Jenny, but she's the only standout). It's wrong to say that it's an all teenage girl cast when Marika is the only crewmember of the Bentenmaru who is a teenage girl, though Chiaki and the two princesses have tagged along.

You're right, but for some time now we haven't seen much of the real crew at all and the name of the show suggests the school girl crew is at least of equal importance.
Not that I particularly dislike them, but it's just too typical to not call it fanservice. And I wish the real crew members would get some focus, but so far we only got backstories for some of the various girls. Again, not that they were bad, but I think it supports my point that the main selling point of this show (Especially in terms of sales) are cute teenage (or even younger) girls only and all the males are secondary characters at best.
Check out our new Simul Watch CLUB and join if you're interested!

If Death Note is "chess", LotGH is "3D Chess." - lisnoire
Code Geass would be Rock-Paper-Scissors in this analogy.
Guilty Crown? - Go Fish!

05-15-12, 1:07 PM

Meddigo said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

I prefer Ai and Jenny, Ai is a cute, talented loli with serious amounts of take home cuteness, I will be enjoying her skills with the skiff next episode, Jenny is quite the lady, helps with the yuri too.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices