Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 27, 2015 8:31 PM
Jul 2018
Tenchio said:
I'm done with this show. The 'mysteries' are so depressingly dull and mundane

I see where you're coming from, and to an extent I agree. But Chitanda is so f***ing cute that I'm gonna keep on watching. That, and the art, animation, and music is beautiful.
It'll probably get better.
removed-userJan 27, 2015 8:36 PM
Mar 22, 2015 4:39 AM

Oct 2013
Another great episode. Oreki's theory is quiet good.
May 18, 2015 1:00 AM

Jul 2008
So now we have the incident figured out but there has to be more to it because why would Eru cry about that?
Jun 7, 2015 8:33 AM
Jun 2015
WolfWood37 said:
So now we have the incident figured out but there has to be more to it because why would Eru cry about that?
aggred
Aug 23, 2015 1:05 AM

Dec 2012
Gotta say this is growing on me, this mystery was really intriguing especially how they broke down each theory to slowly inch toward that final conclusion. The imagery is creative and reminds me of something Shaft would do. Also loving that ED, can't get enough of how sugary and angelic it is.
Oct 24, 2015 12:56 AM
May 2015
HikariJake said:
Tenchio said:
I'm done with this show. The 'mysteries' are so depressingly dull and mundane

I see where you're coming from, and to an extent I agree. But Chitanda is so f***ing cute that I'm gonna keep on watching. That, and the art, animation, and music is beautiful.
It'll probably get better.
exactly
snn15 said:
WolfWood37 said:
aggred
probably, but they can just ask recently pass out students about sekitani jun like oreki's big sister.
eklaOct 24, 2015 1:36 AM
Nov 7, 2015 10:09 PM

Feb 2010
Beautiful and very old-fashioned household with hose rice-fields and even Eru's room looks like half-century back. But the toilet is state of the art, cool) Chitanda is making rice balls :3 Again, good pace and use of visuals. The story continues, this time it's versions time! I like it that we hear different takes on thinking this out and the viewer certainly has a chance to make their own version as all the pieces kind of presented to us. And there is a mystery for you - nothing supernatural, just plain old unknow of how and why. I was expecting something K-ON like when I took on this show, and it surprised me in a good way. The characters have their reasons and the mysteries are not just random mystery of the day (like monster of the day:) but related to characters and we can see both thinking and feeling through this, so it makes me wonder what kind of a change there will be from the start to end of this series to it's leads.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Dec 8, 2015 11:56 AM

Sep 2014
A Hero? Maybe. Ep 4.

Plot: Meeting at Chitanda's mansion/home, the CC deduce the incident that happened 45 years ago. While each one had interesting parts 3 theories are shot down and nothing but guesswork and info remained. Putting his brain to work, Oreki deduced that the incident was the shortening of the Cultural festival and thanks to Seikitani this did not happen. But in exchange he was expelled from school.

However as the mystery seem to be closed one question remained: Was this enough to make Chitanda cry? Was it really the truth?

Character: Seikitani's character is still the biggest mystery but the info and Chitanda's own memories do paint him as a kind and passionate person that got screwed in the past. There's still more to it but its amazing what they managed to piece together so far.

Each one showed their characteristics in their guesswork and info gathering. Chitanda had that idealized theory/concept with the story of a brave hero fighting against bad guys but paying the price for it. Mayaka was bit more rough when she included that the bad guys were teachers and the students fought them. Satoshi gave some decent info but no true conclusion or ideas on his own. Just as a database should.

Oreki managed to do as he does and think on his feet with what he was given.

Animation/sound: Each persons idea on the incident reflected their usual mental state with Chitanda's and Mayaka's standing out. The classic scroll like animation of Chitanda. And the cute but kinda brutal chibi's of Mayaka. Oreki proves again that he is rockin some major good stuff to imagine all that clockwork and other stuff.

Satoshi's was kinda basic. Like what you'd see in a how to book or so. No real inclination towards a particular bias but just the plain facts.

5/5. The animation. The thinking. The whimsy music. And that cliffhanger. It comes to a head next time.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jan 4, 2016 7:34 AM

Jun 2009
i have a feeling that when they publish this anthology that someone is going to come correct them or fill in the gaps...or something like that.
Feb 13, 2016 12:43 PM

Aug 2008
Tenchio said:
I'm done with this show. The 'mysteries' are so depressingly dull and mundane, the characters flat and the incessant, uninvolving blather gets on my nerves.

Kyoani, y u no make more Haruhi or FMP! instead of this sleep-inducing bullshit?

Agreed, I'm dropping this myself. The anime should be be used to fight insomnia, would put many right to sleep with its dull mysteries.
Mar 12, 2016 1:50 PM
Jul 2014
I hope that was not the real mystery! Didn't her uncle went missing in India? I thought that was the mystery...
May 11, 2016 3:53 AM

Jan 2016
Hmm... quite a thoughtful episode.. not really much to say on this one, felt there is quite some untold secrets that just makes it a very interesting anime.. definitely interesting..
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
May 11, 2016 6:23 AM

Mar 2014
Making anthology for Classics Club .
Brainstorming is fun ~ .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 3, 2016 11:47 AM

Apr 2016
Now that I finally seem to know what this anime is about, I feel very very weird about the fact that Chitanda is more worried about /what/ her uncle told her and /why/ she cried, THAN worried about /where/ the hell is her uncle?? an why he disappeared?? and why haven't them found him???

I mean, she can have a reason to think that if they solve her little mistery, they will be able to locate her uncle but that is not the goal. Like ??? can you be more selfish??? do you even love your uncle ??? Are you so hopeless that you don't care anymore??????

I don't get Chitanda, to be honest. There's something that feels sooooo weird about her. Well, not just her, all the character feel extremely weird to me.

One thing for sure, the animation is amazing.
Aug 5, 2016 1:53 PM
Jan 2012
surprise about agressive and violent past of uncle of chitanda. She's have many misteries about his family. Student movement great news about this case ocurring showa era. Probably during mandate Eisaku sato-prime minister.
Uau. Oreki very intelligent and your conclusions very importante for the story for the anime.
Nov 7, 2016 12:52 PM

Sep 2015
I'm guessing that isn't the full story still maybe the sad part isn't uncovered yet. But dam Oreki was extremely op this episode with just the info gathered by the others to make his claim.
Dec 22, 2016 12:42 PM

Aug 2014
The presentation and the use of art in this show is fantastic, also the choice of music is nice.
Excellent episode.
Jan 10, 2017 8:42 AM

May 2016
Dang it I just figured it out that this type of mystery of anime isn't for me, my head hurts like shit damn.
Feb 17, 2017 11:47 PM
May 2015
Realistic episode. Very hard to find such realistic anime. BTW, houtaru, after marring chitanda become a house husband, great house!
May 28, 2017 4:25 PM

Nov 2016
Seems like the mystery regarding Hyouka wasn't completely solved.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 4, 2017 5:36 PM

Aug 2013
A nice episode. Lots of dialogue. Houtarou is definitely a intelligent especially with his reasoning in this episode. Loving this show so far.

Jul 3, 2017 10:01 AM

Feb 2015
I hope this anime gets more interesting. I do like the characters but the mystery was boring and kind of difficult for me to get my head around.
Apr 29, 2018 11:23 AM

Apr 2013
Didn't expect them to get this far already with their investigation, I assume they will have such sessions regulary now and advance the main plot like this.
Apr 2, 2019 7:40 AM

May 2015
Lets kill Chitanda. I will give some money.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 22, 2019 8:55 PM

Jul 2016
Not really interested in what happened 45 years ago but at least, the interactions between characters made this episode more entertaining to watch.
Aug 3, 2019 4:27 PM

Nov 2017
I really enjoyed the interactions/chemistry between the four characters in this episode. It did well on conveying the thought processes of each of them especially when they sat down and tried to deduce what happened
Sep 17, 2019 11:17 PM

Aug 2015
digging this mystery
this is basically what historians do
Sep 18, 2019 7:24 PM

Mar 2016
The incidental dialogue, and the way the characters refer to themselves ('I'm a database', 'my motto' etc), can be insufferable. But, when they get in the thick of things it is quite entertaining to follow along. Oreki was basically forced by his sister to join the club to keep it active, and now he's being 'dragged' around by everyone else to continue the club's traditions and solve Chitanda's personal mystery which is wrapped up in all of it (and is even going to be chronicled in their anthology, finally putting the 'legend' down on paper or whatever). It's almost like his sister planned all of this shit or something.

Oreki definitely likes his central role more than he's letting on, and I can't blame him, Chitanda is pretty cute and she has a nice voice.

I think the 'god-like' reasoning would be more annoying if the show went out of its way to 'prove' Oreki's thinking right, but so far they seem to be happy with leaving it as 'most likely true but we'll leave it to the imagination' which I like.
syncrogazerSep 18, 2019 7:44 PM
Jan 20, 2020 11:03 PM
Apr 2016
Oreki is very clever! So why did she cry? I wonder.
Jun 5, 2020 10:37 PM

Aug 2019
wow that was really bloody interesting. Oreki can really line everything up when he feels like it lmao how does he get only average grades??
I felt like the different ways each person gave their theory and conclusion reflected largely on their character e.g. Chitanda's curious and maybe over the top personality lead to the theory of a literal "hero" theory where her uncle practically sacrificed himself by using violence for the change of the better good of the rest of the students.
Oreki with his laid back and shortcut character but at the same time extremely intelligent and resourceful lined all the information he was given and just went straight to the conclusion while absolutely hitting the nail on the head
Aug 29, 2020 1:24 AM

Jul 2020
Hotarou’s conclusion were brilliant, though I’m not entirely convinced that that was really what happened since I don’t think that’s enough reason to make Chitanda cry when she hears that story from her uncle. Unless her uncle told a different story to her. Nevertheless, the theories they made and Hotarou’s conclusion were great I repeatedly watched it and analyse it myself.
Apr 12, 2021 4:58 PM

Jun 2020
Off to the Chitanda residence, they go their mansion is so huge and even has a field inside

So this mystery is something else and a very hard nut to crack I guess Oreki will take a lot of time to solve this one

We'll find the answers hopefully it continues next episode.
Apr 13, 2021 10:21 AM
Jun 2013
Chitanda living all alone in that big mansion is a big mystery itself lol
Aug 30, 2021 5:28 AM
Jun 2014
I feel like it would be more interesting if they were looking for her uncle instead of going through this story about school kids from 45 years ago. Unless, of course, if it turns out that this 45 year old story is something far more interesting. But its hard to get into it when the protagonist barely cares.
Dec 22, 2021 4:08 AM
May 2020
we got an answer but i wasn't satisfied if ygm
Jan 6, 2022 3:48 PM

Jul 2021
Houtarou says he can figure things out by luck, so he's the luckiest man in the world. Lol
asdasdsadad
Aug 10, 2022 1:41 PM

Aug 2018
Well, they already theorized what had happened to Chitanda's uncle. But Chitanda has some doubts.
Aug 31, 2022 6:25 AM
Nov 2021
Watching the 4th ep, midway through about 13:40 the short hair girls caption says: “Wow, you three are anal.” That cought me off guard; did i miss something; am i dumb. Btw this is on gogoanime.
Aug 31, 2022 6:30 AM

Aug 2014
MrX7835 said:
Watching the 4th ep, midway through about 13:40 the short hair girls caption says: “Wow, you three are anal.” That cought me off guard; did i miss something; am i dumb. Btw this is on gogoanime.

I also watch Hyouka right now and have the same reaction as you. But I think she means it as some kind of personality. I just googled and found this. Dunno if it is the right thing but lemme know your opinion.
Reference >> https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-an-anal-personality-5073867
Check My AnimeList (or click my signature)
My Main Genres: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
My Sub Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, H&E

Check My Profile, my ranking
What I Watch This Season
Best Character & WAIFU This Season
Best OP/ED Song This Season
Aug 31, 2022 6:43 AM
Nov 2021
Ravarae said:
MrX7835 said:

I also watch Hyouka right now and have the same reaction as you. But I think she means it as some kind of personality. I just googled and found this. Dunno if it is the right thing but lemme know your opinion.
Reference >> https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-an-anal-personality-5073867
yea i understood it like a short form of analytical. Thanks for the help!
Sep 25, 2022 3:03 PM

Aug 2021
lots of dialogue in this episode... was fighting for my life reading the subtitles. interesting stuff though, if handled well this show could turn out to be pretty good
Dec 3, 2022 11:25 AM

Mar 2019
Seems like Oreki forgot the part where Chitanda cried after hearing the answer. The atmosphere in that house was great, I even thought we're going to see someone in the house when Oreki got lost. It looked scary.

However, this episode felt a bit confusing with all those names and the illustrations.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Jun 13, 2023 12:45 PM
Jun 2023
I love this animeeee
Aug 6, 2023 11:35 PM

Oct 2022
I'm assuming that she cried because she heard her uncle's side of the story and it was probably something tragic but without violence.

yea makes sense for highschool kids

Oct 21, 2023 12:58 AM

Dec 2022
Student protests aren't something you hear about every day. Culture festivals must be beloved by many.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.