Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 20, 2013 10:59 AM
Apr 2013
Got these feelings when movie is really better than serial, the last 5 minutes were so dramatical like as in Clannad: AS, so that's making that title just an easy win.
Oct 2, 2013 9:05 PM

Dec 2012
I'm not sure why I preferred this over the TV series years ago. This has actually made me appreciate the series much more. I liked how they focused on Misuzu and avoided unnecessary harem side stories, but I felt so many scenes were executed much better in the TV series, especially the resolution with the father. I also felt Kanna and Ryuuya's story was a bit bland and lacking.

I realize they aired around the same time so naturally they would be different interpretations, but I prefer KyoAni's version after all. Originally had this scored at a 9, but reducing it to a 7/10. This has actually made me change my score to Air TV as well, moving that from a 7 to an 8/10.
Dec 17, 2013 5:32 PM
Aug 2010
Ratohnhaketon said:
I'm not sure why I preferred this over the TV series years ago. This has actually made me appreciate the series much more. I liked how they focused on Misuzu and avoided unnecessary harem side stories...

I too prefer the TV series years ago but after rewatching it again but this time with the movie first then TV, I personally think the movie has done a great job in most parts than tv series. I think this is just a case of what you have seen first, giving it a preference to what you have seen great specifically that last episode of Air. This consequently for one to lose interest with the movie since you know how the story will end and not give it a whole different perspective of what its done great compared to the other. Watching it multiple times and giving it a time gap in between will made you realize that one medium (which is in this case the movie) is not bad after all and can be considered a much superior to the tv series.

People who have high expectation with this series tend to say at the end that it disappoints and somehow confused which to me is understandable given that KyoAni failed at this adaptation. How I just wish Air to have a remake and have much longer episodes if they are going to cover side characters rather than fit it in a 13 episode. There is that mysterious element present in this anime compared to Kanon2006 and Clannad which made its story a bit more enticing than the latter anime. But sadly, this doesn't fully convey to every person who watch this series.

To anyone who will watch this series, please watch the movie instead rather than the tv series. And please don't compare Air tv series to Kanon2006 and Clannad, it's an injustice to the series and I will say it again if you don't understand the story, blame KyoAni. That's how they fail at their first Key series.
eizvDec 17, 2013 5:39 PM
Mar 27, 2014 8:30 PM

Apr 2013
I really can't tell which one I liked more, this or the TV series. Regardless, does anyone know if this is what the "true" route is in the Air VN? I haven't played it so.
May 20, 2014 8:40 AM

Aug 2013
For me, movie is better than TV version (except the animation, which is actually horrible).
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 9, 2014 7:41 AM

Oct 2013
I haven't seen the series and I liked this enough to watch the series.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 31, 2014 1:33 AM

Oct 2013
I saw the series awhile back and determined the movie is actually better than the series. The pacing and flow of the series is flawed to the point of being boring at times. Though series was deeper, more complex and I kind of respect it more for what it tried to do, coupled with the fact it has a significantly more tragic ending that made the final few episodes downright harrowing, I think that actually works against the series in some ways. The movie was more simple and perhaps less respectable, but that very simpleness allows one to appreciate it for what it is more than the series.

I think all of the extra stuff the series tried to add but didn't fully explore really weighs it down. The puny 2 episode arcs, for example, may serve to achieve a real "ooohhhhh" moment when you begin connecting things together at the end of the series, but they didn't accomplish much except adding extra, needless fluff at the time of watching them. If they would've been more elaborate they would've helped, but they weren't. By cutting all this fluff out, the movie just ends up being more earnest and, because of that, enjoyable.

Like I said, I really respect the series for what it tried to do, but the execution was really subpar. The movie just has much better execution. I will say, however, that I would not love Yukito and Misuzu nearly as much as I do if it wasn't for the series.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 20, 2015 10:10 PM
Apr 2014
I liked that Yukito and Misuzu's relationship was more focused in this version, however I just can't get over what they did to Haruko. She was my favorite character from the series and felt she wasn't really done justice in this version. She fakes hating Misuzu, but after that they never show her rekindle her relationship with her.
Feb 22, 2016 4:35 PM

Mar 2011
Toei can't animate, that's all. The TV version is so much better, in every aspect.
(I've just re-watched both "skipping")
Feb 26, 2016 8:10 PM
Sep 2015
I actually like the movie much better than the series. The series was got kind of muddy towards the end.
If you have the choice of watching the series or the movie I would rather watch the movie again.
Jan 24, 2017 11:01 PM
Dec 2016
Frezlaj said:
Toei can't animate, that's all. The TV version is so much better, in every aspect.

Those sakura petals on Kanna x thatguy ( I can't remember the guy's name because literally everything on this movie is forgettable, lol ) and those leaves when the main guy goes to a train in the last moments were irritating as fuck. The repetition on their moves were terribly done. Everything is too bright. Everything sucks here. I even fall asleep on some parts =="

1/10. I don't know will the series end up the same way, because I haven't watch the series. I probably would.
May 9, 2017 8:08 PM
Jul 2018
This was so much better than the show. They focused on Yukito and Misuzu's relationship and built onto it. The romance felt genuine. Yukito, too, was much more likable; he was far more determined to help Misuzu, and loved her, even after letting her go, he rushes back to save her; that part when he punched her dad in the stomach was such a "HELL YEAH!" moment.
The way they spliced the backstory throughout the film in between Yukito and Misuzu's story was a brilliant way to do it; this way, it feels even more connected to their story. In the TV series, it just felt tacked onto the end, and I hated it; I wanted to see more Yukito and Misuzu, and this film did just that. Getting rid of the other girls was also a good choice so that the emphasis on Misuzu's narrative was stronger.
Not to mention, Yukito doesn't turn into the bird, but the bird was a separate character; I like that. I always hated how Yukito just disappeared in the TV version, but in this film, he, too, together with Haruko, was there to see Misuzu in her final moments.

Remington said:
I liked that Yukito and Misuzu's relationship was more focused in this version, however I just can't get over what they did to Haruko. She was my favorite character from the series and felt she wasn't really done justice in this version. She fakes hating Misuzu, but after that they never show her rekindle her relationship with her.

Indeed, Haruko's character was the only aspect of this movie that was worse than the TV version. But other than her character, this film excelled in all the places that TV failed at.
Excellent film; a little shoddy with the animation at parts, but the story and character elements were amazing. Also, Misuzu is so much prettier in this film, Toei Animation really fixed her face.
Aug 16, 2018 10:04 AM

Nov 2009
Loved it. It made perfect sense, not like what happened in the series which was really dissapointing because I enjoyed the first half of it a lot. This is everything I wanted the series to be except the art was sub-par. Non the less, very touching.
Aug 30, 2020 9:11 AM
Mar 2014
If i recall, i hated this version of Misuzu because i saw the TV ver. first and was used to the childish, shyish cute side of hers and to begin with it was meant to be an innocent love story but then again you cant compare the two but i am going off of the original source. This version of hers looked older, mature and was aggressive with her advances which is why is despised this alterate version because i preferred the first.
Dec 5, 2020 6:12 PM
Dec 2017
At least yukito didn't die in this version.
Jan 5, 2021 7:38 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It's so bright it's like no game no life but in 2005 lol
Hmm overall pretty good movie but the TV version is sure a better choice, the story felt too rushed, only 1h30 for this kind of story is not much, but well it was still a fine movie
Aug 30, 2021 7:54 AM

Jun 2015
Much better than the TV version. I don't see why so many people shit on this movie.

💖 𝐼'𝓂 𝒽𝒶𝓎𝒹𝑒𝓃❣ 💖

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ 💝 𝒯𝓌𝒾𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇 💝 𝒴𝑜𝓊𝒯𝓊𝒷𝑒 💝 ˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆
💝 𝑀𝓎𝐹𝒾𝑔𝓊𝓇𝑒𝒞𝑜𝓁𝓁𝑒𝒸𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃 💝
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» can I skip the movie?

removed-user - Sep 25, 2017

3 by Nebelhart »»
Dec 4, 2020 3:08 PM

» :'<

Lilly1x - Feb 14, 2009

7 by versuz »»
Dec 31, 2012 3:54 AM

» Before or After?

Cetais - Jun 9, 2010

9 by Nachtwandler_21 »»
Aug 8, 2011 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.