Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 11, 2012 2:33 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
There was a nice balance between the comedy moments and the more serious scenes, not too much of one as to mitigate the effects of the other. Quite a bit of "moe" as well, for people who are into that. The music and animation were good, and overall it was a fun one.

That is, until the ending. I'm not sure what happened there. He nonchalantly watched the girl die, then it looks like he replaced her (hair style, etc.) with the spider girl. I'm not sure what was behind the screen in that shop either. It felt like they aimed for a twist ending for shock value, and failed to deliver any sort of impact. If someone has an explanation for it, please enlighten me. Until then, that was a horrible ending.
MissileSoupMay 11, 2012 3:02 AM
May 11, 2012 4:18 AM

Aug 2011
Oh my. This was brilliant.
The shopkeeper said it was over if he got caught in the web, which happened. You could see the blue under the guy's eyes, which means he wasn't himself anymore. He snapped out of it before because the girl got hurt, but after he got caught in the web again he was being controlled(?) again. I was quite surprised of it. The only thing that was completly out of place was that thing behind the screen in that shop. My guess is that it's another monster of such legend. I remember Buta having a somewhat open ending as well.
May 11, 2012 8:18 AM

Aug 2008
screw spiders! They amazed me how they are disgusting no watter in what form.

I felt really bad for the girl to get caught in all of this (She was the one who break the seal though...)! And that's a bad ending, I thought the point of all of this was to find a way to bring her back to the book but it disappointed me. I mean... that's what you get when you tried to save someone?

I like the animation very much though. The movements of the characters in the old mansion were very fluid and it was fun to watch and the ED was very beautiful!
KuriniMay 11, 2012 1:45 PM
May 11, 2012 1:31 PM

May 2009
So. Damn. Cute! And what an unexpected ending. Totally caught me off guard.
May 11, 2012 1:37 PM
Dec 2007
Oh the twist... Very nice direction (especially the whole part in the old mansion), great animation and an highly unexpected ending made it a must watch for any short animation fan. This was simply brilliant (and unfortunate for the lead character).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 11, 2012 2:02 PM

Nov 2011
StrawHat1996 said:
The shopkeeper said it was over if he got caught in the web, which happened. You could see the blue under the guy's eyes, which means he wasn't himself anymore. He snapped out of it before because the girl got hurt, but after he got caught in the web again he was being controlled(?) again.

I caught that blue spark, but it didn't cross my mind that he was being controlled as it wasn't present and he seemed normal while on the web. Also because he still retained some reactions, yet when she fell it was minimal. I did had a feeling he was being charmed or whatnot, but it was still odd and felt inconsistent.

I'm also disappointed that the story in the book didn't play a large part, after all the time they spent on it. And that monster behind the screen still felt unnecessary. Personally, I still don't like the ending, not because of how it ended, but how it was done. Thanks for affirming some points.
May 11, 2012 3:21 PM

Nov 2007
me while watching this:
(ó.ò)
(^_^)
(^_^)
(o_O)
(ಠ_ಠ)
(ಠ益ಠ)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(ಥ_ಥ)

Anyway, for those asking the one behind the curtain is a slime.
I can't help but feel this was at least somewhat inspired from "Inui Takemaru"s "Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou".
At first it was just a series of independent color manga pages(nsfw) about 8 (IIRC) brothers each living with a monster girlfriend.
Now I see this is actually a manga in its own right. It's a sort of prequel to those pages and it is less hentai.

Back to Wasurenagumo, RAAAAGEEEE, they killed the girl!!!!
May 11, 2012 8:45 PM

Dec 2009
seems like no one saw the last part on the ED theme watch it again.
May 12, 2012 1:23 AM

Mar 2008
gendouhydeist said:
seems like no one saw the last part on the ED theme watch it again.

I still don't quiet get it.. xD

MissileSoup said:
Personally, I still don't like the ending, not because of how it ended, but how it was done.

I feel the same way about it
May 12, 2012 2:00 AM

Aug 2007
That fucking ending man...

10/10 Young Animators Project for actually surprising me.
May 12, 2012 3:28 AM

May 2009
Fuck, this ending, i don't even, 10/10 trolling.
May 12, 2012 3:57 AM

Jun 2009
..... I knew that little thing is no good... but..

WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THE ENDING!!! FUCK!!!

I don't know how to rate this... I was very happy with the show, the animation when they're moving around the manor is just amazing.

I like the cute little monster girl, though she show sign of evilness in her. And she charm the dude by instinct... BUT TO FEED THE GIRL TO HER MOTHER?!?!

...... 7/10 I guess...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 12, 2012 6:58 AM

Dec 2009
Man, I knew it. Spiders are evil.
May 12, 2012 9:48 AM

Jun 2011
AirStyles said:

I don't know how to rate this... I was very happy with the show, the animation when they're moving around the manor is just amazing.

I like the cute little monster girl, though she show sign of evilness in her. And she charm the dude by instinct... BUT TO FEED THE GIRL TO HER MOTHER?!?!

...... 7/10 I guess...

She was possessed by the young spider's mother not eaten pay close attention the the girl he came back with and you'll notice her face just her hair and eyes have different color.
May 12, 2012 10:39 AM

Jun 2009
orbbie said:
AirStyles said:

...... 7/10 I guess...

She was possessed by the young spider's mother not eaten pay close attention the the girl he came back with and you'll notice her face just her hair and eyes have different color.

O.o

How about the little one? I was under the impression that if anything, it'll be the little one who possesses the girl, because she laugh "Keee".
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 12, 2012 10:47 AM

Feb 2012
AirStyles said:
orbbie said:
AirStyles said:

...... 7/10 I guess...

O.o

How about the little one? I was under the impression that if anything, it'll be the little one who possesses the girl, because she laugh "Keee".

Same to me. This spider girl is able to change her appearance(or at least how she looks to others) as seen in this scene, when she watches the moon.

I really liked this show. I often had the feeling, this could be a great full length movie or 13-episode show. at least i want a sequel to this. The ending is really unsatisfying(though a great trolling xD)

and damn, i love this ending song !
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
May 12, 2012 10:49 AM

Mar 2012
This was pretty darn good for a young animators project. Honestly my biggest gripe was the noise the spider girl was making, possibly the most unappealing sound I've ever experienced.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 12, 2012 11:50 AM
Apr 2011
Holy fuck
May 12, 2012 7:02 PM

Mar 2008
JoshSalas said:
This was pretty darn good for a young animators project. Honestly my biggest gripe was the noise the spider girl was making, possibly the most unappealing sound I've ever experienced.

This is a praise, was meant to be an unpleasant sound.
May 12, 2012 8:07 PM

Jun 2009
Mind blown...
Wow, that girl being eaten/dying idk was the furthest thing from my mind.
the ed was cool though
May 12, 2012 11:45 PM

Feb 2010
Wow. What a fucked up ending.

Lil spider bitch. Her mom eats the main chara's soul then assumes her appearance. DAMN.

Excellent animation during the "wandering the mansion" theme. Just fantastic.

This was good work... not phenomenal. 7/10.
May 13, 2012 6:34 AM

Jul 2009
wait what? what's all those random theories coming from?

the spider fed the girl to the mother, and assumes the appearance to fit into the society. Note how the clothes just drags to the ground? it's to cover her spider legs. No weird supernatural things happening there, just the small spider one having a hair cut.

The fact that the shopkeeper also keeps a youkai as servant/wife just make it so much more ironic. He warns about the guy getting lured by the youkai, but he has one himself as well.

Speaking of which, what manga? The monster girls hentai one is totally different.
May 13, 2012 8:02 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Nice short story.

Such a heartwarming ending. Reminds me of Little Mermaid.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 13, 2012 9:22 AM
Jul 2018
my body wasn't ready

May 13, 2012 9:25 AM
Sep 2011
Judging from the reactions here this anime certainly succeeded in lulling most of the viewers into a false sense of security with all the comedic bits, concealing the danger these mystical creatures pose for humans.

Just like in most traditional tales about a human bonding with a supernatural creature, it's all fun and games until someone is threatening to break this connection. The young girl would have been better off if she had abandoned the man to his fate.
May 13, 2012 10:01 AM

Oct 2007
I felt like i just wasted my time watching this crap.

sleeplesstown said:
my body wasn't ready

Something doesn't look right. Why is she tall one minute then short the next.
May 13, 2012 10:25 AM

Jul 2011
This is perfect! Brilliant! Genius! One. Of. The. Best. Anime. Ever.
Goddam, my mind is blown! Great story and animation; it's action, drama, comedy all at once, but most importantly IT'S LIKE NOTHING THAT I'VE SEEN BEFORE! It's like a Mononoke (tv series) + cuteness of K-On + grossness of Gyo + a little shonen action perfectly mixed together.
Now I need to remove something from my 5 favorite anime list to put Wasurenagumo there.
OrangeHollow.png
May 13, 2012 2:38 PM

Nov 2011
jeroz said:
wait what? what's all those random theories coming from?

the spider fed the girl to the mother, and assumes the appearance to fit into the society. Note how the clothes just drags to the ground? it's to cover her spider legs. No weird supernatural things happening there, just the small spider one having a hair cut.

The fact that the shopkeeper also keeps a youkai as servant/wife just make it so much more ironic. He warns about the guy getting lured by the youkai, but he has one himself as well.

I assumed that the spider girl merely took her place, but missed the detail regarding her clothes, so thanks for confirming that by pointing it out. There was absolutely no reason for her so have the exact same hair style, and only (unintentionally) served to mislead certain viewers (and that's where I believe all the theories are stemming from). Same with the irony presented with the shopkeeper.

While some may have found those scenes effective, some found it cheap and unnecessary.
May 14, 2012 1:09 AM

Apr 2009
Ah the poor girl has been fed to mama spider, beware of cute spider girls they'll feed you to their mom! XD I've seen the last seconds of the ED and the transformation, I still think it's that little evil daughter spider and not the mother who came with him to the shop in the end.

jeroz said:

That's why he was giving him a discount after all. LOL
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 14, 2012 11:33 AM

Jun 2010
I also believe that it is the little one in disguise in the end.

Also some seem to disregard the scene on the net. Shortly before the girl falls - the little one had a larger and more mature appearance in this scene too (and she had a hand ^^).
May 14, 2012 12:38 PM

May 2010
MINDBLOWN AND TROLLED.

Everything was so great but the ending was so unacceptable that I find myself close-minded to such endings. lol

Anyway, I find the last scenes before the ED to be thought-provoking for some reason.

Definitely an interesting one-ep OVA. :)
May 14, 2012 3:23 PM

Dec 2011
I laughed so hard at that ending. But even so, it felt so perfect. Something about the lack of emotion in her sacrifice just ended the show so well.

Loli spiders are adorable too. I want one, whether she eats me or not.
May 17, 2012 12:14 AM
Aug 2011
PaninaManina said:
was meant to be an unpleasant sound.
O.o imo it was cute

Skelington said:
Loli spiders are adorable too. I want one
this!

Totentanz said:
Just like in most traditional tales about a human bonding with a supernatural creature, it's all fun and games until someone is threatening to break this connection. The young girl would have been better off if she had abandoned the man to his fate.
yay! yandere!
May 19, 2012 11:31 AM
Sep 2007
Ending totally caught me off guard.. I feel sorry for girl at ending, to end like that.
May 20, 2012 12:01 PM

Aug 2010
That was a horrible way to go for the young girl.

Fuck spiders.
May 20, 2012 12:59 PM

Dec 2007
The ending left me unsatisfied and I can't say I liked how the girl died.

That said, the execution of her death scene was absolutely perfect.
Jun 2, 2012 6:28 AM
Oct 2009
I don't quite get the ending, but I think the Spider girl isn't possessing Mizuki's body at the end. The Spider girl has her own "body" when she got out from the book in the beginning, so I think it's not necessary for her to actually possess a body in order to live with Suzuri. As for the haircut, I think it's just to show her way of learning how to live as a human, hence copied the hairstyle of Mizuki. Otherwise, maybe the Spider girl thinks Mizuki's physical appearance is the way that Suzuri liked it, so she just copied Mizuki's hairstyle.

I was expecting to see how Suzuri reacts to Mizuki's death (or disappearance) but I never got to see that. It's like they cut out a scene or two in the middle, making it an unsatisfying ending.

And yea..

Homolust said:
Fuck spiders.
The window, the window shopping! Hooo!
Jun 10, 2012 4:56 AM

Jan 2008
While short, it was good (animation and chara designs) but the ending f*ucked me up.
Jun 20, 2012 2:02 PM

Sep 2010
Well.. Ehmm.. Shiiiit. I was fooled the whole time. 4/5.
Jul 26, 2012 12:22 AM

Jan 2011
hate spiders! nothing has changed,but i will say they got me wasn't expecting that.
Jul 28, 2012 11:33 AM

Oct 2009
I, uh, liked it. Especially because of the humongous underwater mother spider and the silly fight against temptation.
Aug 7, 2012 7:10 PM

Feb 2010
It was good but ending was a head scratcher.

The ED theme was cool
kimukun23Aug 7, 2012 7:15 PM
Aug 10, 2012 6:18 AM

Aug 2012
really good animation (mansion) good music ^^

and as for the story I liked it very much, it's all about giving in to temptation or not ( though he doesn't hesitate much....)
To me there is not enough story like that, the ones that ends badly ( in a way ) just to show us never to expect a good ending each time ( it'd be boring anyway )

I too think that it's the small girl that took the appearance of Mizuki cause the mother has no real reason to come to the human world or maybe she'll marry the guy and raise her daughter with him ( this is also interesting). as for cutting her hair it is to blend into the society to me

as for the appearance of the mother I think that if you look at it as an evil thing then it looks evil but if you look at it differently it appears otherwise.
Aug 16, 2012 10:43 AM

Feb 2008
Damn! Dat twist!!
This was a really good watch. 8/10.
Sep 17, 2012 10:03 PM

Oct 2010
Never trust in a spider loli...
Oct 3, 2012 1:24 AM

Jun 2010
It's become the norm in anime that cute supernatural creatures get treated as children or girlfriends and everything turns out fine as long as you're nice to them and any fear is misplaced so I rather like seeing one that is as callous and dangerous as mythical monsters are in the actual tales. COUNTER-MOE.

Definitely the best of the 2012 Young Animator Training Project films. The other three were a little dull.
Nov 18, 2012 12:03 PM

Mar 2012
Am I the only one who thinks the shop keeper guy lead the girl into a trap?
Dec 31, 2012 5:44 AM
Jun 2009
The animation was fluid throughout the episode and the art style was consistent. Seems like the heavy budget was not in vain. But... the ending was disturbing. -_-''
Dec 31, 2012 6:32 PM

Feb 2009
Mizuki T.T that damn loli spider fed her to her mom and took her place.
paperstarxo said:
Am I the only one who thinks the shop keeper guy lead the girl into a trap?
Might have.
Mar 18, 2013 4:11 PM

Sep 2009
This just confirms my hate for spiders. Can't fool me with your moe moe shit, I know you're evil. Even during the comedic scenes. I actually thought those were the creepiest.

It was an awesome story though. Love the fact that the old guy had a monster girl of his own so he can't judge the other one too much for what happened. And I'm not really sure what confused people about the ending, but everything definitely worked for me.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» ED theme

DROP_TABLE_users - May 10, 2012

1 by XCT3 »»
Oct 2, 2018 5:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.