Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sankarea
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 12, 2012 6:32 PM

Aug 2010
Next week Wanko episode? Do not want.
May 12, 2012 7:24 PM
Apr 2011
Much better than last week's episode.
May 12, 2012 7:47 PM

Feb 2010
Better than last week... AND we got to hear more about Gpa's "spell" and what he knows about it.

Zombie-babu is cuuuuuute >^.^<
May 12, 2012 10:40 PM

Sep 2011
Getting a bit annoyed of wanko, she gets jealous too much. Rea was cute as she usually is and we got to see a kiss even though she never remembers it. Babu<3333
Dat strength when she saved Chihiro from the passing car. Wankos past next episode not really looking forward to it since she annoys me.

Also question to everyone. How many episodes do you think this season will get?
May 12, 2012 10:48 PM

Jul 2011
This show has been a pleasant surprise so far, but does anyone know how many episodes this show is going to be or any hints based on the manga?

Also, pretty pumped for a wanko ep next week.
May 12, 2012 10:53 PM

Sep 2011
EOTW said:
This show has been a pleasant surprise so far, but does anyone know how many episodes this show is going to be or any hints based on the manga?

If its going exactly by the manga it has 28 chapters so far, I'd suspect they do 12 episodes then a season 2. Or 20+ Episodes.
May 12, 2012 11:17 PM

Apr 2012
27CansOfTuna said:

The anime really excels when its more of the serious route. When it turns to focusing on rea it just cant keep me interested. Feel pretty terrible but I like the Wanko/Furuya moments, feel more sincere than the ones with Rea. And Furuya was epic in this he like jumped from the roof to the ground with no injury at all! and endured that powerful throw later

I also agree that when the anime adds comedy relief, it is misplaced and distracting. Sankarea excels when it address its major conflicts: Rea's father's obsession, Chihiro coming to terms with Rea's death, Rea coming to terms with her death. However, I feel the opposite--Wanko's lightness in the anime cheapens the value of this anime. Wanko always destroys the tension that builds up between Chihiro and Rea in the first half of this episode. Wanko is rather annoying.
May 13, 2012 12:13 AM

Nov 2007
Where are these Wanko hates coming from?

Loved the episode. Much better and certainly way more refreshing than the last couple of episodes.

5/5
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 13, 2012 12:17 AM

Dec 2008
Something tells me this is only going to be 12 episodes if they are taking stuff from different chapters and bringing them a bit early. Chances are it will end with well.... nevermind that would be a spoiler alert
May 13, 2012 1:04 AM

Sep 2010
MOE ZOMBIES.......
May 13, 2012 1:51 AM
Jan 2009
Now we are in the second half of this series :[
and seeing Rea in her form right now.. makes me depress.
May 13, 2012 3:03 AM

Jun 2009
Ohohohoho....

REA IS GANNA EAT FURUYA!!! AHAHA!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2012 3:35 AM

May 2009
shanimebib said:
Where are these Wanko hates coming from?

Let's see...

She's clingy. She loves Chihiro, but he's made it very clear several times that the feeling is not mutual. he just doesn't like her that way, but she refuses to accept it, perhaps because she knows he's into zombies and thinks to herself that she can get him to give it up and get a real girl instead.

Now that he has a real-life zombie girl, she knows she'll lose him, so she becomes insanely jealous. And it's only going to get worse from here on, when she takes that jealousy to the next level. I hope we'll get to that point in the anime, as that marked the point where I started seriously disliking her.

Any good side she has is immediately countered by her doing something incredibly dumb. Like her hitting the old man in the head, making him forget what he told Chihiro, for example.

I personally deeply despise clingy girls like that. Plus, I don't find her all that pretty in the first place. Rea may be dead, but she is still several times more atractive than Wanko can ever (hope to) be (and that is probably another reason why Wanko isn't pleased with Chihiro's budding relationship with Rea).

All Chihro has to do now is find out how to keep Rea's body from rotting away, not to mention find a steady source of hydrangea to help her get through the season(s) in which the flowers don't bloom.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2012 3:39 AM

Jan 2012
Great episode. Kinda hoping the next episode will be good.
May 13, 2012 3:42 AM
Feb 2012
Another good episode if I may say so.

It was pretty clear from the get-go that those leaves would be essential for Rea and Babu's "conservation" but it's still informative to have it confirmed by the old man. Speaking of which; the moment where his mind went clear, was kind of cool to be honest. He became serious and gave Furuya some valuable information. And, as expected, he mentioned that there's still no definite way to stop the decay. Or is there? After all he got hit by a stone Wanko threw when he was about to tell us the most valuable bit of his little speech. I'm curious about what he would've said there.
The ReaxFuruya moments were as charming as ever and the little walk they had only reinforced that view of mine. We still have '?' episodes to go (I wonder when this will be known) so I'm holding out for a satisfying end. 5/5
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
May 13, 2012 9:35 AM
Jan 2011

Nice Wanko ass, I wish I could pinch it........if I were an anime character.

Rea's ass ain't bad either.
May 13, 2012 10:18 AM

May 2008
guess no Rea next episode since its a "childhood" episode hopefully they don't ruin the series!
May 13, 2012 11:03 AM

Jul 2011
Tyrel said:
EOTW said:

If its going exactly by the manga it has 28 chapters so far, I'd suspect they do 12 episodes then a season 2. Or 20+ Episodes.

So 2 seasons with this one being 12 episodes, but I wonder why they haven't announced how many episodes it will be yet.
May 13, 2012 1:06 PM
Apr 2012
I liked it, but I feel the plot is not... advancing.
May 13, 2012 5:37 PM

May 2011
Seems to me like Rea has a thing for flesh, there was just something about her when she was licking Chihiro. Oh and she looked so cute with her hair tied up. Looking forward to seeing her and Chihiro actually do something.

More Wanko next episode? Sounds good to me. And this episode makes me feel bad for her, she's obviously just acting happy and stuff. Liking both girls atm.
May 14, 2012 12:36 PM

Jan 2008
Oh, nice one Sankarea. You actually managed to pull yourself up from the shitstain that was the ending of last episode and be good again. It was pretty obvious that the hydrangea was what was allowing Babu to continue moving around normally whilst Rea was suffering from Rigor Mortis and going a little bit crazy, but I'm happy that they managed to resolve that rather than dragging it out too long.

I must admit, I'm still rather impressed by the directing in this show. It does try a little too hard to be Bakemonogatari sometimes, but it generally does a great job of keeping even the most mundane of scenes interesting with colour use and camera angles.

Hmm... seems next episode is a Wanko episode. I suspect it'll probably add something to the story which is a pity, otherwise I'd just skip it due to how much insufferable hatred I have for her character. Pretty much everything that's happened so far that I haven't liked in this show has involved her and she just seems to come across as an annoying jealous little bitch with no real reason to exist in the show other than unnecessary fanservice.

Still, after episode 5's ending I was ready to drop this show if it went in the wrong direction, but luckily it managed to rectify itself enough with this episode and get back to being what I was watching it for.
May 14, 2012 7:12 PM

Apr 2009
Mr-Derp said:
Never bring up HSOTD in sankarea discussion. Don't compare rubbish with bacon .

That's just my 20 cent .

hope your not saying hsotd is the rubbish....
May 14, 2012 7:17 PM

Apr 2009
Tyrel said:
EOTW said:

highly doubt of a season 2, just by how slow this anime is moving and it would take forever for the manga to go on so maybe in another year or so there could be a season 2 unless the manga start to be coming out weekly
May 14, 2012 7:47 PM

Jan 2008
Master7Zero said:
Mr-Derp said:

That's just my 20 cent .

HSOTD is both the rubbish and the bacon. It's a whole sandwich in itself. It's a delicious well-handled-zombie-apocalypse-situation shaped piece of bacon inside an over-the-top-unnecessary-fanservice shaped piece of rubbish which makes up the bread.

Unless of course you're talking about the OVA, in which case the bacon fell on the floor amongst the dirt and you realise that the bread you've been eating is a little bit mouldy after you've already eaten some of it.
May 14, 2012 8:06 PM

May 2012
Master7Zero said:
Mr-Derp said:

That's just my 20 cent .

Dude, if its not the rubbish, then sankarea is the rubbish ? Think properly before you start typing . But well that's your own opinion.

Seasonreaper said:

HSOTD is both the rubbish and the bacon. It's a whole sandwich in itself. It's a delicious well-handled-zombie-apocalypse-situation shaped piece of bacon inside an over-the-top-unnecessary-fanservice shaped piece of rubbish which makes up the bread.

Unless of course you're talking about the OVA, in which case the bacon fell on the floor amongst the dirt and you realise that the bread you've been eating is a little bit mouldy after you've already eaten some of it.

Yes I agree with you. Yes the whole over the fucking top fanservice drag that particular show into the thrash can . And the Ova can go ........I don't even ........

The entire setting is great , zombie taking over the world, students getting weapons/handmade weapons , fight for survival, the ugly side of human nature when they are desperate , etc .

But lets just say , Their action:fanservice ratio is a 1:5 , the episode which has the most decent amount of action is the last episode only .

its a real let down . Not to mention the major cliffhanger. Garbage is garbage .
So as you're laughing at this fool tonight , let me rid myself of any line that I might use to trip you up .
May 14, 2012 9:47 PM

Jul 2009
slight off tangent here

people thinking the fanservice-orientated OVA are canon? waaaaat? when was a special filler OVA ever canon?

I just find it funny to see there are still people who don't recognise the parody to the trashy B-horror zombie movies the series is aiming for, and the series hit it right in the head. The over-the-top-ness was why it's so hilarious. The story is not suppose to be taken seriously anyway, not until the future arc hits.

Again, different genre.
Sankarea is romance/horror, while HotD is action/comedy
May 14, 2012 9:57 PM

May 2012
Yeah, the genre is way different .
So as you're laughing at this fool tonight , let me rid myself of any line that I might use to trip you up .
May 14, 2012 10:19 PM

Jan 2008
jeroz said:
slight off tangent here

people thinking the fanservice-orientated OVA are canon? waaaaat? when was a special filler OVA ever canon?

I just find it funny to see there are still people who don't recognise the parody to the trashy B-horror zombie movies the series is aiming for, and the series hit it right in the head. The over-the-top-ness was why it's so hilarious. The story is not suppose to be taken seriously anyway, not until the future arc hits.

Again, different genre.

Indeed that is off tangent, as nobody even mentioned anything about the OVA being canon in any way. It obviously isn't in canon as it doesn't link to anything that happens in the series at all. That doesn't stop it from being one of the worst things I have ever seen. I only mentioned it because it is related in some way to the series via the cast.

Despite seeing a whole ton of B-movies in my time (most of them horror, for that matter, as my dad is a huge horror fan and we tended to watch movies pretty much every night throughout my high school years) I recall very few of them being even close to the level of action/fanservice ratio that HSotD achieves. Sure, there was a scene or two throughout an entire film in which the main female lead gets her clothes ripped by a zombie or something and of course the female characters in the cast will wear slutty outfits, but they manage to balance it out with scenes of zombies generally being heavily incompetent or being foiled by simple trickery which makes fun of their braindead nature.

Yes, I can agree that HSotD is a parody and as such aims to maximise upon these tropes and blow them out of proportion, but the problem is it seems to mostly focus on the 'slut's gonna slut' tropes of the trashy B-horror movies and spends 80% or so of it's screentime doing that, whilst pulling off a proper serious story in the background once every three episodes or so. If it expanded and over-the-top'd the horror side of things as well as the fanservice side, I'd be fine with it. The problem is the fact that it's parodying the trashy sexual side of things whilst trying to combine it with a well thought out serious horror story.

Think of it this way. Take Romero's Night of the Living Dead, a rather serious horror film with a heavy dose of social commentary, and then change 3/4 of the scenes and characters with a parody take on the genre such as oh, lets say, Wasting Away. Whilst both rather enjoyable in their own right, mixing them together just doesn't gel well. You end up with a mismatched clusterfuck which shows hints of genuine quality and intelligence here and there in amongst a barrage of jarring and conflicting scenes.

This sounds like a pretty bad idea, right? Well someone obviously decided it was a fantastic idea somewhere, and we ended up with Highschool of the Dead. What makes it even worse is that the anime adaptation managed to take such a piece of source material and put even more emphasis on the fanservice side of things than the original work did, further crippling any sense of intellectual satire that existed in the first place. Maybe the reason why so few people realise it's a parody is because of how far detached it became from what it aimed to be in the first place.

Also, since you mentioned it, Sankarea is indeed a romance/horror anime. That is a central reason as to why I don't particularly like the emphasis on fanservice and comedy between the end of episode 5 and the beginning segments of episode 6, especially after how well it pulled off the very romance/horror genre it succeeded at portraying throughout the majority of the first five episodes and the second half of episode 6.
SeasonreaperMay 14, 2012 10:23 PM
May 14, 2012 11:39 PM

Aug 2010
Finally, things actually happened in this episode, though it seems the next one will focus on Wanko. 4/5.
May 14, 2012 11:41 PM

May 2012
Seasonreaper said:
jeroz said:
slight off tangent here

Again, different genre.

Indeed that is off tangent, as nobody even mentioned anything about the OVA being canon in any way. It obviously isn't in canon as it doesn't link to anything that happens in the series at all. That doesn't stop it from being one of the worst things I have ever seen. I only mentioned it because it is related in some way to the series via the cast.

Despite seeing a whole ton of B-movies in my time (most of them horror, for that matter, as my dad is a huge horror fan and we tended to watch movies pretty much every night throughout my high school years) I recall very few of them being even close to the level of action/fanservice ratio that HSotD achieves. Sure, there was a scene or two throughout an entire film in which the main female lead gets her clothes ripped by a zombie or something and of course the female characters in the cast will wear slutty outfits, but they manage to balance it out with scenes of zombies generally being heavily incompetent or being foiled by simple trickery which makes fun of their braindead nature.

Yes, I can agree that HSotD is a parody and as such aims to maximise upon these tropes and blow them out of proportion, but the problem is it seems to mostly focus on the 'slut's gonna slut' tropes of the trashy B-horror movies and spends 80% or so of it's screentime doing that, whilst pulling off a proper serious story in the background once every three episodes or so. If it expanded and over-the-top'd the horror side of things as well as the fanservice side, I'd be fine with it. The problem is the fact that it's parodying the trashy sexual side of things whilst trying to combine it with a well thought out serious horror story.

Think of it this way. Take Romero's Night of the Living Dead, a rather serious horror film with a heavy dose of social commentary, and then change 3/4 of the scenes and characters with a parody take on the genre such as oh, lets say, Wasting Away. Whilst both rather enjoyable in their own right, mixing them together just doesn't gel well. You end up with a mismatched clusterfuck which shows hints of genuine quality and intelligence here and there in amongst a barrage of jarring and conflicting scenes.

This sounds like a pretty bad idea, right? Well someone obviously decided it was a fantastic idea somewhere, and we ended up with Highschool of the Dead. What makes it even worse is that the anime adaptation managed to take such a piece of source material and put even more emphasis on the fanservice side of things than the original work did, further crippling any sense of intellectual satire that existed in the first place. Maybe the reason why so few people realise it's a parody is because of how far detached it became from what it aimed to be in the first place.

Also, since you mentioned it, Sankarea is indeed a romance/horror anime. That is a central reason as to why I don't particularly like the emphasis on fanservice and comedy between the end of episode 5 and the beginning segments of episode 6, especially after how well it pulled off the very romance/horror genre it succeeded at portraying throughout the majority of the first five episodes and the second half of episode 6.

^ This , so much win .

Christ, you practically explained everything . I commend your dedication,patience, good english and totally agree with you .

If there is a rep system, I would rep +1 for your good post, sir.
May 14, 2012 11:54 PM

Jan 2010
Hooray! It recovered from episode five's shitty cliffhanger! I felt that every second of this episode was spent trying to forget the last two minutes of episode five and the honestly embarrassing scene it thrust upon us. It is quite clear that the production team behind this have a lot of talent, and thankfully it seems we can rely on them to divert attention from events in the source material when it comes down to it, even if they can't actually get away with omitting it entirely - something I wish that they could have done. I felt that the scene where Rea was invited to stay as she sat amongst the hydrangeas was a delightfully composed scene that really encouraged me to keep watching.

...It's a shame we have a Wanko centered episode next time, she is for the most part the embodiment of everything bad about the series. I guess it sounds like I'm blaming a rape victim or something based on what I saw before, but really in this case things would have turned out so differently if she wasn't there. I don't mean that by the show's logic that if she was there Rea wouldn't have had any boobs to motorboat, but that if it was Furuya's sister there instead this whole debacle would not have happened. Wanko is for all intents and purposes, the core of the fanservice in this show. Yes, Rea easily gets her fair share too, but at least that has some viable reason for being there or at least a feeble excuse a lot of the time. Whether it be meaningless upskirts, breasts hanging out of the bathroom window, Wanko has fanservice shoehorned in around her at every turn and if there is no reason for it, then she draws others to cause it, such as Rea's leaping down and tearing her clothes off as though she were a chocolate bar. To me, Wanko is like some horrible queen bee of fanservice, her glistening abdomen brimming with horrid ecchi-larvae just itching to sink nasty little maggotty teeth into the show.

I don't like Wanko very much. Could you tell?

I was very pleased to say it took more of a creepy direction this time, with the lapping up the blood, the mindless zombie moment and so on. It's very nice to see Sankarea attempting more of this, seeing as it is this, along with the character building of Furuya and Rea that makes this series so watchable, and not the comedy and ecchi (If I'm looking for perversion I'll open my image folder!)

jeroz said:
slight off tangent here

Again, different genre.

jeroz said:
I just find it funny to see there are still people who don't recognise the parody to the trashy B-horror zombie movies the series is aiming for

jeroz said:
I just find it funny to see there are still people who don't recognise

YES, LAUGH! LAUGH AT THE PATHETIC MORTALS WHO CANNOT COMPREHEND YOUR SUPERIOR INSIGHT!

Who said the OVAs were canon? It's clear they aren't.

It isn't a parody; it's a pastiche. Parody is laughing at something, pastiche is laughing with something.

Indeed, HSOTD does have a sense of humor with regard to the B-movie thing, but unfortunately thanks to taking itself seriously too much of the time it stops being funny and just turns into the very thing it's laughing along with. Look at it from a comedy angle and the scene with the rapist is a total mood killer. Same goes with the scene where Alice's dad gets shot dead in front of her - that's the polar opposite of funny. From a serious action perspective, there's just too much silliness and too many pervert jokes being thrown around for it to provide any room for the show to be considered with any maturity. This is before we even take into consideration that for the most part in HSotD as a side effect of this INTENSELY WITTY INSIGHT INTO B-MOVIES that we get characters who are nothing more than basic archetypes and that the storylines are dull because in trying so hard to be a B-movie it never does anything original.

Of course, Sankarea and Highschool of the Dead are different genres and to compare them side merit by merit, flaw by flaw would be ridiculous, but we can look at them like this: Sankarea is a show that achieves what it aims for. HSotD is a show that not only misses what it tries to do, but fails in a manner so spectacular it could be compared to waking up with a terrible hangover, only to realise that not only you got a tattoo whilst drunk but that it is also plagued with spelling errors and proclaims your undying love for Mars of Destruction and Garzey's Wing.
Baking anime themed cookies is my jam!
May 15, 2012 3:06 AM

Jun 2009
I guess our group Hadena did a damn good job on our Sankarea releases... We got B for our scripts' quality... higher than even commie.

May 15, 2012 6:18 AM

May 2012
dragon132004 said:
I guess our group Hadena did a damn good job on our Sankarea releases... We got B for our scripts' quality... higher than even commie.

Wait, then why do Hadena get flame/bash all the time ? Its a fast sub , I always wanted to download it , but after looking at the comments......... :(
May 15, 2012 10:35 AM

Jan 2010
dragon132004 said:

You're from Hadena? Yeah, I watched your version and I thought your script was pretty darn good. If you could remove all those wavy effects from the ending credits, that would be nice - my housemates and I found it kind of frustrating.

Still, keep up the good work, I found it quite enjoyable!
May 15, 2012 12:53 PM

Jan 2011
That was an amazing episode, last week's one was trash imo.
She drank some blood, she's a zombie after all.
Next episode will probably be pointless when it comes to story, I hope it'll be nice to watch though, because I hated the previous episode.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
May 15, 2012 1:57 PM

May 2012
Yay

I'm completely in the minority, but

I FREAKIN LOVED HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD

In my opinion it was one of the VERY few zombie shows to get it right EVER. And I have seen A LOT of zombie shows. Japanese/American/European/etc...

And, Wanko's freakin amazing! The best character of the show ~

You guys all have too much hate energy stored up. You should of just dropped it (HSotD) after the first episode if you hate ecchiservice that much.
vampkoMay 15, 2012 2:04 PM
May 15, 2012 10:14 PM

Jan 2010
vampko said:
Yay

I'm completely in the minority, but

I FREAKIN LOVED HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD

In my opinion it was one of the VERY few zombie shows to get it right EVER. And I have seen A LOT of zombie shows. Japanese/American/European/etc...

And, Wanko's freakin amazing! The best character of the show ~

You guys all have too much hate energy stored up. You should of just dropped it (HSotD) after the first episode if you hate ecchiservice that much.

Hate energy? The funny thing is that I don't exactly hate Highschool of the Dead. I am up to date with the manga and I find it rather enjoyable. In fact, I am rather sad to see how infrequently it has been updated and I am pining to see what comes next.

The problem I have is that it just did not transfer well to an animated format. The manga has its fair share of ecchi, but as a result of it not being animated the reader controls the pace at which they read it. Depending on what you're interested in, you will naturally find yourself focusing more on some parts than others. Once it is transferred to anime however, you lose that option. You will stare at the nurse's breasts for as long as the director determines you will stare at them. To be fair, it is a weakness of the medium that led to it, but I feel that it was directorial problems that meant it failed to cater to the fans as evenly as it could easily have done with a little effort. I didn't drop it after the first episode because I thoroughly enjoyed the source material and even if it wasn't how I wanted it to be I felt that I should at least keep watching to see if it would at some point or another meet my expectations.

As for Wanko, each to their own I guess, but for an anime that is supposed to be focused around Rea, I think Wanko gets far too much time and detracts from the tone of the show with her upskirt antics and all that. Again, I don't hate Wanko as a character and I should probably have said that in my previous post, but I think she's a pretty cool cousin character - I wish I had someone like that in my family. However, it is her role in the show that causes issues. As far as character interaction goes, she's great. The problem is that for some reason the writer of the original manga must have determined for some unfathomable reason that wherever she treads, a trail of fanservice must be left in her wake. It's something like a curse, but generally through little fault of her own, as soon as she enters a scene, it is somehow tarnished. I do not have a problem with fanservice, so long as it has a reason for being there. With Rea it does, more often than not. Her clothes got guts on them, so she had to borrow Furuya's t-shirt. That's fair enough. So we get a glance of some Rea underboob. That's cool, it's kinda hot and we are seeing it because Furuya is having to bandage her up so she's lifting her top. That has a good reason to be there and it just so happens to be giving us a little bonus at the same time. With Wanko, look at her scenes. Out of nowhere, the camera decides that what we, the viewers really need to see, is Wanko's panties. I'd say that this would be excused because she's stuck in the pipe, but we are repeatedly shown her frilly undies in multiple shots before then. The same goes with the bath scene. If she is going to talk to her cousin through the window, why does she decide to perch her breasts on the windowsill? The answer is that there is none. I dislike Wanko for no fault of her own, but for what the author has decided she should be used for.
May 16, 2012 12:25 AM

Jul 2009
Glad to make you laugh Hatman.

Anyway, I always have a feeling that Wanko represents the "other option" that's always there. Say what you will about romance between cousins, she IS the other viable romantic options that Chihiro could always go for. The constant signal dropping is just to emphasis the point and to illustrate his dedication towards Rea. Remember that those "fanservice scenes" are all aimed towards Chihiro.

There's no doubt that Wanko will not be the victor, but I feel that without her being there the impact of the relationship and Chihiro's dedication will lessen.
May 16, 2012 3:14 AM

Jan 2008
Hatman said:
As for Wanko, each to their own I guess, but for an anime that is supposed to be focused around Rea, I think Wanko gets far too much time and detracts from the tone of the show with her upskirt antics and all that. Again, I don't hate Wanko as a character and I should probably have said that in my previous post, but I think she's a pretty cool cousin character - I wish I had someone like that in my family. However, it is her role in the show that causes issues. As far as character interaction goes, she's great. The problem is that for some reason the writer of the original manga must have determined for some unfathomable reason that wherever she treads, a trail of fanservice must be left in her wake. It's something like a curse, but generally through little fault of her own, as soon as she enters a scene, it is somehow tarnished. I do not have a problem with fanservice, so long as it has a reason for being there. With Rea it does, more often than not. Her clothes got guts on them, so she had to borrow Furuya's t-shirt. That's fair enough. So we get a glance of some Rea underboob. That's cool, it's kinda hot and we are seeing it because Furuya is having to bandage her up so she's lifting her top. That has a good reason to be there and it just so happens to be giving us a little bonus at the same time. With Wanko, look at her scenes. Out of nowhere, the camera decides that what we, the viewers really need to see, is Wanko's panties. I'd say that this would be excused because she's stuck in the pipe, but we are repeatedly shown her frilly undies in multiple shots before then. The same goes with the bath scene. If she is going to talk to her cousin through the window, why does she decide to perch her breasts on the windowsill? The answer is that there is none. I dislike Wanko for no fault of her own, but for what the author has decided she should be used for.

You see, this pretty much explains my problem with Wanko too. Sure, it's not really her as a character that's the problem but what she's used for in show. The problem lies in the fact that the character in itself was created seemingly for the purpose of moodbreaking wacky hijinks and occasional unnecessary fanservice and, at the current stage in the series, doesn't show any better reasons to exist. The aspects of her that are being hated are currently her entire reason for existence. She's got sluttery down to an artform, in herself.

Now if she had a reason to exist aside from adding fap material and cockblocking the romance the show is attempting to progress between Furuya and Rea, then maybe it wouldn't be such an issue and I'm hoping that future episodes will at least add something to her character that is worthwhile. If it doesn't follow up on that then she shouldn't even be here in the first place and is a complete waste of animation effort.

vampko said:

Really? Maybe it's true, I do tend to ignore the episode discussions for shows I'm watching unless it does something really special, unexpected or does something to piss me off, such as it did in this case. Still, if you check back to my first comment about this episode it's mostly positive about it managing to bring back the decent quality the first 4 and 3/4 episodes had.

Anyway, just because HSotD failed at what it was trying to do certainly doesn't mean it didn't have it's moments of greatness. Some of the scenes were genuinely impressive and a couple of the characters were rather likeable, and that's what got me to watch the entire show. There's really only two things which cause me to actually drop something and that's if what I'm watching is exceedingly dull or lacks any positive merit in my eyes what so ever, something which HSotD didn't meet in either category. Part of the reason why it manages to annoy me to such a level that it does is because of those moments of greatness being drowned out. No point in me continuing here as I've said pretty much everything I intend to on the topic already.

Well, aside from the fact that HSotD's OP sequence is delicious.
SeasonreaperMay 16, 2012 3:23 AM
May 16, 2012 8:17 AM

Apr 2009
The cat's finally out of the bag for Chihiro. No, not that cat. Fortunately for him, his father is an open-minded person. Saves him a lot of trouble with explanations, reasons and excuses. Mr. Doon Furuya's responses to his son's inexplicable circumstances were quite amusing, though.

The hydrangea leaves keep Rea's consciousness working, but what remains though, (no pun intended), is to find an urgent solution to preserve her, even with just a short-term workaround in the meantime.

Anyway, I see the adaptation is still doing great. Even the anime-original parts actually make sense and contribute to the show, given that the author is participating in the adaptation process.
May 17, 2012 8:06 AM

Mar 2012
This episode was really good , anyways i want to know what will happend when Rea drink Chihiro's Blood
May 18, 2012 8:38 AM

Aug 2008
Chihiro's dad is pretty laidback about this whole affair. A tad convenient for my tastes.
Right now the story is pretty stagnant. It took like 2-3 episodes for Rea to settle down at Chihiro's house. I have a feeling they're just dragging things out.
May 25, 2012 9:39 AM

Aug 2011
So much Ranko in this ep.

I'm feeling a little agitated watching Rea lick Furuya's blood, I hope she doesn't develop a liking for it. Or worse yet, blood of a specific individual becomes the cure?

At least Rea can openly live with him now.
May 25, 2012 9:26 PM

Sep 2008
Took a while for her to finally eat the leaves.

Ranko gets in the way far too much as usual.
May 29, 2012 11:01 PM

Jan 2012
Beautiful animation in this episode, well most of the episodes actually. I can't tell if Ranko gets on my nerves or not yet.
Jun 10, 2012 11:56 PM

Nov 2007
Wanko is freaking hot, way more interesting than Rea.
Jul 2, 2012 8:15 AM

Jan 2012
glad to see that Chihiro can at least delay the rotting and such with the leaves! Like how he's following her around with the camera xD

the grandpa is so amusing yet so wise at the same time, really interesting to watch, and its was such a nice scene at the end when the father allowed her to stay :)
Jul 3, 2012 2:58 PM

Sep 2011
Jealousy ic?
Jul 5, 2012 9:49 AM

Jan 2010
Sanka is becoming more and more macabre :3
Jul 26, 2012 9:41 AM

Feb 2011
OMFG ! She's awesome , I fell in love with this character I swear .

And damn ! I LOVE JAPAN !

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sankarea Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 19, 2012

268 by 5hadow17 »»
Mar 16, 12:09 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2012

303 by DrAkiMakura »»
Feb 9, 2:34 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2012

149 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 11, 2023 8:16 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jun 7, 2012

160 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 11, 2023 7:33 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Yumekichi11 - May 31, 2012

134 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 11, 2023 7:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.