Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 8, 2012 12:14 PM

Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
We get to meet Koko's older brother Kasper. My initial impression of Kasper is he likes doing things with style.

Also got to see a flashback of Jonah's past and why he's the way he is today.
May 8, 2012 2:23 PM

Oct 2010
Another excellent episode. I see already that Koko’s brother in the following,

is the dream hunk of girls. I would not be surprised and can already see many girls going wild over him. He has a complex that looks appealing IMO to girls. That is the hair and eye coloring

That being said another nice thing in the following spoiler

Perhaps not shown much but that is a Satellite Phone that Koko is using and it’s well worth over 1000$ just one. Maybe 2000$ or more.

Oh man I just had to cool down and like do this. Marika (not sure of the name) in the spoiler
what they did to her was so RAGING and so TT_TT and it followed so quickly with a happiness due to the following,

But
it can never stop me from forgetting IRL those facts. Shit heads used the girl as a mine stepping tool or to test out a new mine. Mawaru Penguin Drum episode 20…”We can never forgive this world for the kids that it let down” hence why this part was really hard for me to pass through. That poor girl, really hit emotionally hard. Especially if you studied this. At least the part in the GIF has this movie feeling where I saw this in some movie sometime ago. Weird.

That being said really traumatic episode TBH. Kudos to this series in showing realism of war in 3rd World countries cause IT SUCKS SHIT! As you saw with Marika and what happened to her instead of seeing her in school having a education and playing with other kids.
Yumekichi11May 8, 2012 3:38 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
May 8, 2012 2:39 PM

Nov 2011
So, Koko finds out that her
is on the ship as she is:

Hmm, it does not seem that Jonah like this new guy:

And also great to see some of Jonah's history and it does seem like a lot of plots are being unraveled with unanswered questions. The harsh life of Jonah's past and what he endured as well as the other children's.

And you know, there's an old saying that always stays true:

Payback is a bitch

I liked this episode overall ;)
Stark700May 9, 2012 4:14 PM
May 8, 2012 6:12 PM

Jul 2010
Kasper's voice is slightly different from I expected...
May 8, 2012 6:37 PM

Sep 2011
Got to see Jonah's past. It was pretty interesting of how he got to work with an arms dealer because of that incident.
May 8, 2012 6:39 PM

Nov 2011
Good episode. I've been interested Jonah's story and the reason behind his seemingly contradictory actions. He's always been no more important than the other soldiers, while getting main character treatment. It's nice to see him get some attention.

And those women's faces.
MissileSoupMay 8, 2012 6:46 PM
May 8, 2012 6:50 PM

Oct 2010
Good episode the flashback was actually good unlike most flashbacks.

I still love me some Koko. I bet she's a real freak. LOL

Is it just me but can you actually tell its a male or female by the way they smile in this anime. I notice the females i saw all smile like the Joker, while the males have a straight line smile.
May 8, 2012 7:06 PM

Jun 2011
Hmm, they changed the flashback of how the girl died. I suppose it's fine since it was rather disturbing in the manga.
May 8, 2012 7:16 PM

May 2010
flashback was awesome, seeing Jonah past and what went down no wonder he hates Kasper gut's so much, Jonah is sly as hell man dude a beast
May 8, 2012 7:30 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
bonifide said:

Is it just me but can you actually tell its a male or female by the way they smile in this anime. I notice the females i saw all smile like the Joker, while the males have a straight line smile.

Yup, that's it.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 8, 2012 7:35 PM

Sep 2011
Good episode,Casper its so loco!!

We meet Casper twin brother of Koko....as crazy as her,but i must i like him he has this personality that shines,also her bodyguard "Chiquita" also she seems pretty damn strong to bend the knife.

Jonah flashback was actually pretty good,got to know a bit about him and how shitty life he had,sad what they did with the girls but its not that uncommon that they use children as mine stepping...that sick word we live....at least Jonah got that assoholes asses!!

Well besides that Jonah smile at the end was kinda cute,and Valmer running for Koko comfort was funny as hell.

Next episode seems they arrive to Africa,were Valmer seems has a deep story...going to be fun!!
May 8, 2012 7:46 PM

May 2011
So it's all about Jonah past.
May 8, 2012 8:26 PM

Aug 2010
Jonah's past was delicious.
May 8, 2012 8:33 PM
Nov 2008
Good one.
May 8, 2012 8:50 PM

Jan 2011
interesting episode about Jonah's past on top of finding that out Koko's has a brother :P and once again another very skillful female bodyguard Chiquita~hope to see more of her because she made Jonah look like a scrub haha bent that knife like nothing!.
May 8, 2012 8:56 PM

Dec 2011
So that is the reason why Koko doesn't want Jonah to see Kasper.
Damn, his past was really sad.
But I have to admit that he is awesome for murdering the whole base.
Casper tortured Jonah by locking him up.

We finally know why Jonah hates weapons, and the guy who indirectly killed Jonah's parents is Kasper. I just love the rage in Jonah's expression.

Looks like the boss characters in Jormungand always have a female right hand man.
Chiquita with that awesome tattoo.

Koko kicking out Kasper was so fun. Hahaha.

Looks like the next episode will be Valmet! Yay. More character development. Though I want to see more of Koko and Kasper's past.
FijiMay 8, 2012 9:01 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2012 8:56 PM
Oct 2010
chiquita is fucking scary. fucked up ep
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

May 8, 2012 9:04 PM

Aug 2011
Chiquita resembles Tori Aoi from Horizon to a different extent...i mean the hair the eyes, the smile...damn. Nice episode...i like both Casper and Chiquita and poor Markia
May 8, 2012 9:36 PM

Jun 2010
I gotta say.....that was a great episode. Casper is a douche...a douche with style. Chiquta is one creepy bitch.....dat smile.....it made me twitch/cringe.

Plus Casper reminds me of Ragna the Bloodedge.

LOL
Dreadnaught_500May 8, 2012 9:41 PM
May 8, 2012 9:53 PM

Jul 2011
bonifide said:
Good episode the flashback was actually good unlike most flashbacks.

I still love me some Koko. I bet she's a real freak. LOL

LOL.

I love the little moment when Jonah blushed. That was cute and unexpected. For some reason, I'm quite JonahxKoko. :O

I liked the backstory. Gives some info on Jonah and introduced the brother.

The opening and ending are really growing on me. I swear I thought the opening use to be crap, but now I think it's really catchy. o_o
May 8, 2012 10:48 PM

Feb 2012
MM-Rosiie said:
The opening and ending are really growing on me. I swear I thought the opening use to be crap, but now I think it's really catchy. o_o

Completely agree.

This episode was pretty good, gave some nice backstory and it was a good flashback. The introduction of Casper and his relation to Jonah was very cool, especially because now we finally know how Jonah ended up with Koko. Still wish something more happened outside of the flashback though. Either way, a good episode.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
May 8, 2012 11:08 PM

Nov 2011
Jonah one man army^^
May 8, 2012 11:31 PM

Apr 2011
Good episode. I liked it.
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
May 8, 2012 11:46 PM

Feb 2010
GREAT episode. The flashback really explained Jonah's mindset and motivations. It was well done. It was VERY hard to watch what happened to his childhood friend; using children as a tool of "war" is just cruel. I know it happens all the time IRL, but I hate thinking about it.

What's up with Chiquita's smile?! Jacked as hell!
May 9, 2012 1:17 AM

Jul 2010
Nothing much to say but a great flashback episode about Jonah.
May 9, 2012 1:33 AM
Apr 2012
Snookies said:
Hmm, they changed the flashback of how the girl died. I suppose it's fine since it was rather disturbing in the manga.

Yeah since in the manga:
ssj4jwMay 9, 2012 2:27 AM
May 9, 2012 1:37 AM

Apr 2009
In agreement about the flashback. It was excellent. Not much else to say.lol.
May 9, 2012 3:10 AM

Oct 2010
ssj4jw said:
Snookies said:

Yeah since in the manga:
It's true in the spoiler
I wonder why they did not do it like that. Guess the manga now has more my attention.

Another interesting thing is that the mine is much more realistic in being anti-personal while the one in the episode was more for vehicle.

May 9, 2012 3:16 AM

Jun 2010
I hope we can see Chiquita vs Valmet soon!

No Preview... No " HER NAME IS KOKO SHE IS LOCO I SAID OH NO" :((
May 9, 2012 3:27 AM
Jun 2008
I am shock when Casper peek on Jonah when he is peeing ...

They cut the part where Koko invite Jonah to bath together . Barume nosebleed at the scene lol

Episode Six will be in Asia ^.^.
May 9, 2012 3:48 AM

Oct 2011
really loved this episode - it was nice to see the origination of the main characters meeting and how johnathan ended up the way he is - also welcomed some real emotional depth in this one along with the usual gun battles/sick humor - this show is definitely impressed me!
May 9, 2012 4:15 AM

Jan 2012
I don't like Chiquita and that creepy smile of hers. It really freaks me out!

Loved it how Koko was pushing Casper off her ship. :D

May 9, 2012 4:26 AM

Sep 2008
Nice episode, good backstory. However, I'll be honest and say I'd really like for Jonah to actually kill the guy whom he wants to kill from episode 1.

But seeing who the guy is, somehow I doubt that's gonna happen. That's sad. Really sad. So either he'll forgive him somehow or there's gonna be someone else that's really really responsible for his parents death. Either way, I don't like it.
May 9, 2012 5:25 AM
Jun 2008
this ep we more on johan's past & also meet loco koko's brother casper & his smiling bodyguard Chiquita (maybe why she smile "let put a smile on their faces").

give yea johan got probs with koko's brother due johan go wild attack base all for what they did to marka have marka meet landmine.

oh my johan is so tick take-out everyone then here come Chiquita to grab johan & meet with casper indeed Hekmatyar family are quite loco sometimes.

yet after some hmm make johan be koko's guard & rest is history?

so what next?
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
May 9, 2012 5:39 AM

Oct 2010
MorningGlory said:
I am shock when Casper peek on Jonah when he is peeing ...
Actually it's nice they made it realistic in showing someone pee, I remember in Dragon Ball it made a huge issue in the USA. Kudos to more realism.

May 9, 2012 5:53 AM

Dec 2011
Nice backstory. Chiquita looks like Valmer's sister.
May 9, 2012 6:08 AM

Jan 2012
Well I hope we get to see how Jonah kills Casper. Atlast we got some story about Jonah's past. And I wonder what's the deal with Valvet in Africa?

May 9, 2012 6:15 AM

Jun 2011
Not bad, but still worst episode so far
I can't really explain it but I didn't like something in this episode... it was kinda broken, switching between the flashback and the current timeline.

I can't deny it was nice seeing how Jonah ended up working under Koko, but it didn't quite meet my expectations.
I hope they'll show the pasts of the other guys too, I'm specially interested about Valmet's past in Africa.

I couldn't get a real grip of what kind of person Casper is, he's hard to read just like his sister... Well, at least we got again a new interesting character, who will most likely appear more in the future
May 9, 2012 6:45 AM

Apr 2012
I really wanna like this show, but I just don't... I thought it had potential, but it's kinda meh tbh. It's just something about the dialogue that irks me the wrong way I think...
May 9, 2012 7:11 AM

Jan 2011
I'm disappointed, I didn't like this one that much.
I want more action and less talking about stuff.
Next episode will probably have action.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
May 9, 2012 7:29 AM

Nov 2007
story-rich episode. i loved it.
May 9, 2012 7:46 AM

Nov 2010
The arms dealing world is twisted/loco
Chiquita needs a banana
May 9, 2012 7:55 AM
Jul 2018
Waiting for the actual plot to kick in. Those who've read the manga said it's brilliant, but this far this has been pretty much just character intro & slice of life.
May 9, 2012 11:10 AM

Apr 2012
I've really been loving this show. It's like a nice mix of character building, comedy and action. It manages to blend all three in an organic way. I really love the comradery between Koko's soldiers. They dialogue between them is always entertaining.

This episode was more serious but the tone of episode was perfect to tell the story of an abused child soldier. I was really impressed how they pulled off the emotions in this episode.
May 9, 2012 12:05 PM

Dec 2010
Casper is also loco, but i still think Chiquita takes the cake; she screams psycho more than anyone else on this show, that's saying something O_O

It was nice to see how Jonah started working for Koko, was particularly awesome to see him go one man army on that base and get his revenge. Next episode should be a Valmet episode; should be good XD
May 9, 2012 12:26 PM
Jan 2011
You if one is to look at this episode there is an element of reality in it, like.

-Marika force to become a human mine sweeper.

In Burma some cases of human rights violation does inculed making people walk in a mine field, and of course you do know what happens next......BOOM they're blown up to pieces.

- Western Asia, I wonder if the author is suggesting that Jonah is a Chechen from the Chechniya Republic in the former Soviet Union?

-Cases where child soliders were denied food and subjected to physical abuse by their bossess, did happen in the mid 1990's when the African nations of Sierra Leone, Rowanda and Burundi are in a Civil War with themselves.

-Chinese fact: Norico Ltd is the biggest arms manufacturer in the Peoples Republic of China and as the episode stated, they are currently supplying arms to the African nations of Nigeria, Chad and Algeria, main co'z they have an Oil for arms treaty with these nations.

Right now I wonder if there a dark reason for Casper to train Jonah to become Koko's bodyguard?

So, now that's how it begun for Jonah's shitty life.
May 9, 2012 12:28 PM

Feb 2012
MM-Rosiie said:

Couldn't agree more. I still don't think Borderland is a good song, per se, but damn does it find a way to get stuck in my head.
May 9, 2012 12:32 PM

Jan 2008
All the female characters in the show are so... intriguing.
May 9, 2012 6:06 PM

Apr 2011
Yeah, at first I thought it was just Koko who looks like a snake when she smiles (ie all the time), but they all have that weird slasher smile, don't they ...

Jonah's backstory was sad but awesome, so glad to see why he's working with Koko at last. So he works with the sister of the man who he wants to kill most in the world. How very complicated. :) Awesome dramatic stuff, I love it. This show is way different from anything else on at the moment, and the violence doesn't feel censored at all. Very nice indeed.
May 9, 2012 6:55 PM
Aug 2011
So Koko represents a snake (-> Jormungand) and Kasper represents a wolf (-> Fenrir), just as I expected. Therefore, the first scene of the first episode should be the beginning of Ragnarök...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jormungand Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 12, 2012

92 by povsuduvolosy »»
Feb 2, 1:48 PM

Poll: » Jormungand Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 26, 2012

164 by kirA_-_ »»
Nov 3, 2023 7:30 AM

Poll: » Jormungand Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Elite60 - Apr 10, 2012

227 by kirA_-_ »»
Nov 2, 2023 6:49 AM

Poll: » Jormungand Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 19, 2012

99 by MizuhoKamui »»
Aug 28, 2023 7:02 AM

Poll: » Jormungand Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Elite60 - Jun 5, 2012

94 by MizuhoKamui »»
Aug 27, 2023 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.