MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Good Psychological anime
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime & Manga Recommendations »» Good Psychological anime

05-08-12, 6:30 AM

Basically just looking for an anime where the main character is extremely intelligent and crushes his opponents.

Psychological anime I have seen which I liked are:

Death Note
One Outs
Code Geass (Not totally psychological but still really good)
Kaiji
Akagi

05-08-12, 6:37 AM

Well, Revolutionary Girl Utena is psychological and very, very good. I wouldn't say whether she is intelligent or unintelligent, but she does win almost all of her fights.

It's psychological in a different way than any of the ones you mentioned. It's more about metaphors and symbolism and making YOU think, rather than the main character 'thinking and devising strategies'. So, it might not be exactly what you seek, but if any of that sounds interesting to you give it a shot.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/440/Revolutionary_Girl_Utena

05-08-12, 7:21 AM

Monster
Texhnolyze
Serial Experiments Lain

The latter two shows are different than the ones you listed - they are psychological in the way that they are thought provoking. Monster is probably more akin to what you're looking for but I'd try all 3 eventually! I might mention that they are all rather dark and sociopathic type series.
We can't stop here, this is bat country.

05-08-12, 7:41 AM

Neon Genesis Evangelion(the last 2 episodes will literally fuck-up your mind) / End of Evangelion, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu (Tho better watch TV before the movie).
seconding Monster, Utena and Lain.
Modified by one-more-time, 05-08-12, 8:57 AM
"Living is what scares me. Dying is easy."
-Charles Manson

05-08-12, 7:48 AM

I second Lain and Texhnolyze.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

05-08-12, 10:38 AM

Try H2O: Footprints in the Sand.
It's very underrated yet has a lot of what you'd want in a psychological anime o:

05-08-12, 10:43 AM

You can try Phantom: Requiem for the phantom

05-08-12, 11:01 AM

Shoubushi Densetsu Tetsuya - older version of Akagi.

Also try the works of Kon Satoshi, they are psychological but not quite as the ones you named.
The world is my country, science is my religion.

05-08-12, 12:57 PM

I recommend to watch : Tantei Gakuen Q, Spiral, Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro, Shinrei Tantei Yakumo, Matantei Loki Ragnarok, Shion no Ou.

They're all great psychological animes with many good mysteries. The main character is always very intelligent and very determined to achieve his/her goals. ^_^

05-08-12, 1:18 PM

Click on "show spoiler" to reveal list.
An asterisk "*" just indicates additional seasons, movies, etc.
My ratings serve only as my commentary on how much I enjoyed the show. You may feel different.
I love my 10's, 9's, and 8's. I like my 7's, have some regard for my 6's and 5's and contempt for 4 and below.

.Anime Title - .Similar to - .Year - .Eps - .My Rating
Modified by lisnoire, 05-09-12, 3:05 PM
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079

05-08-12, 2:57 PM

Deadman Wonderland and Miai Nikki were very good.

05-08-12, 6:39 PM

Well, if you want the "battle of wits" kind of thing rather than plain psychological stuff, then I'd recommend Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Not quite like Akagi and Kaiji, as it's more about the story, but it's really great when the two main strategists are put against each other.
Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

05-09-12, 8:28 AM

Baman said:
Well, if you want the "battle of wits" kind of thing rather than plain psychological stuff, then I'd recommend Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Not quite like Akagi and Kaiji, as it's more about the story, but it's really great when the two main strategists are put against each other.
--Can't believe I skipped LotGH!!! Purely an over site, I assure you.

RE: Deadman Wonderland and Miari Nikki - They left me pretty cold.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character

05-09-12, 8:56 AM

There's nothing more psychologically fucking then Paranoia Agent

05-09-12, 10:12 AM

Lis, um... Forgive me.. But I don't think that list is very helpful. It's huge and no one is going to want to look through that. It's also poorly organized as it just doesn't seem to have any organization.

Also. Um... Um...

Kannazuki no Miko? Psychological? And Inu Yasha? They might have 'dark moments', but they aren't psychological. They're both pretty much pure entertainment. Psychological implies that the creators made it with intent to get a serious point across and mess with your brain in some way. Utena and Evangelion are psychological and are known for being so. You look at them and go "Okay yeah they are trying to mess with my mind." Kannazuki and Inu Yasha are purely entertaining, as are many of the others you mentioned.

Sorry to point that out. I normally try not to say anything about your super huge lists but uh, this one has taken it a bit too far. I'm sure you also wasted a lot of your own time making it, for it to be likely ignored by the OP.

05-09-12, 10:56 AM

Death Note, Paranoia Agent, Paprika, Bokurano..

Just go here: http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?genre[]=40
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."

05-09-12, 2:19 PM

Amberleh said:
Lis, um... Forgive me.. But I don't think that list is very helpful. It's huge and no one is going to want to look through that. It's also poorly organized as it just doesn't seem to have any organization.

Also. Um... Um...

Kannazuki no Miko? Psychological? And Inu Yasha? They might have 'dark moments', but they aren't psychological. They're both pretty much pure entertainment. Psychological implies that the creators made it with intent to get a serious point across and mess with your brain in some way. Utena and Evangelion are psychological and are known for being so. You look at them and go "Okay yeah they are trying to mess with my mind." Kannazuki and Inu Yasha are purely entertaining, as are many of the others you mentioned.

Sorry to point that out. I normally try not to say anything about your super huge lists but uh, this one has taken it a bit too far. I'm sure you also wasted a lot of your own time making it, for it to be likely ignored by the OP.
--Don't mind the critique. The psychological designator wasn't mine alone but from a couple sites as well as MAL's recommendation pages. There are different kinds and levels of psychological. Not all cited as such are Mind *uc*s, but I get what you are referring to.

List size is usually to illustrate that there are more than the hand full of standard titles that get kicked around. But, knowing few folk will look a the whole thing, I generally do a better sort that involves my personal picks being listed first. That clearly didn't happen this time! I appreciate you catching that and bringing it to my attention. I will fix it!

Edit - !!!!! I see what I did that wasn't immediately evident. Some of them have small letters indicating which anime they are seen as being "like" according to MAL's rec pages.

Edit - Well, I went back and made some changes. Still L . . .o . . .n . . .g . . . but hopefully it will make more sense now.
Modified by lisnoire, 05-09-12, 3:09 PM

05-09-12, 3:11 PM

bloodlover said:
I second Lain and Texhnolyze.

I third these two recommendations. They are some of the best psychological anime, but the extremely slow pace and lack of dialogue isn't really something you have experienced yet according to your list so you may not like them.

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices