MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

American animation in Japan
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Current Events »» American animation in Japan

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
05-07-12, 8:55 AM

I have been wondering how does american animation do in japan and i dont mean shows like spongebob or power puff girls i mean action adventure shows like young justice, Batman TAS, Johnny Quest you know shows like that do Japanese fans take to them

05-07-12, 9:02 AM

Big American cable stations like Cartoon Network, Disney, and Nick will usually have their American stuff broadcast in foreign countries. They try to force those shows onto people in Japan and some people end up watching or at least have their T.Vs on but those shows don't do well when compared to domestic Japanese shows.

05-07-12, 10:05 AM

Well, as Anime_Name said, those companies tend to shoehorn in and force their shows in other countries because of how rich they are. It's not like anime here where companies have to license individual shows, Nickelodeon/CN/Disney buy air time in other countries and handle all that themselves in an attempt at globalization, which usually fails, but I guess they still make enough money back to keep doing it (except Nickelodeon, which got kicked out of Japan when Nick Japan shut down)

Anyway, the only western show Japan really knows of is Thomas the Tank Engine, but it's British not American so I guess it doesn't count. Also it's not really a cartoon, it's live-action stop motion.

juken16 said:
I have been wondering how does american animation do in japan and i dont mean shows like spongebob or power puff girls i mean action adventure shows like young justice, Batman TAS, Johnny Quest you know shows like that do Japanese fans take to them

Oh. Well, no, they don't like those shows. The only western animation that even blips on the radar is really one or two random preschool shows like Thomas. Mainly since they air on NHK, which is the Japanese equivalent of PBS. And to be honest, that's mostly because those shows help kids learn English (and some older teens as well.. it has very basic dialog which makes it a good learning tool to help them learn English and basic sentence structure)

But as far a like, the latest superhero or American action cartoon, not really. Not when they have shows like One Piece, Naruto, and etcetera at their fingertips. There's not much reason to watch anything else from other countries. Anime is a lot more popular in the US than US shows are there, especially with the online community. I believe since anime offers things western animation does not, while western animation doesn't really offer anything you can't find in anime.

05-07-12, 10:11 AM

Love Thomas and Friends..

Especially the Brown hut-like train... number 7 i think.

http://www.thomasandfriends.com/usa/Thomas.mvc/EngineDepot

amazing :)

05-07-12, 10:12 AM

Japan does not need western super hero animation

cuase we have longer tradition of live action super Hero Shows

Sentai been running since 75
Ultra since 50's
Kamen Rider since 72
Metal Hero 82-98
Non franchise Toku to or 3 run a year
my 11 main things i rate on

1 Impact on Impact on industry both the anime and Original Manga had
2 TV Ratings in Japan [ Gross for movies Unit sales for OVAs 3 Manga Ka of the Sourcework
4 how loyal the anime stayed to its source how well the compare to other big name in its genre
5 Seiyuu casting [ how many i know by voice i use the royal I here ]
6 Impact on General Pop Culture in Japan and the West 7 Impact on Otaku Culture in Japan and the West
8 Music[ Instrumentation]
9 merchandise sales
10 art style 11 Studio who produced the anime[ and what thay have done for the industry]

05-07-12, 2:40 PM

Armiga21 said:
Well, as Anime_Name said, those companies tend to shoehorn in and force their shows in other countries because of how rich they are. It's not like anime here where companies have to license individual shows, Nickelodeon/CN/Disney buy air time in other countries and handle all that themselves in an attempt at globalization, which usually fails, but I guess they still make enough money back to keep doing it (except Nickelodeon, which got kicked out of Japan when Nick Japan shut down)

Anyway, the only western show Japan really knows of is Thomas the Tank Engine, but it's British not American so I guess it doesn't count. Also it's not really a cartoon, it's live-action stop motion.

juken16 said:

Oh. Well, no, they don't like those shows. The only western animation that even blips on the radar is really one or two random preschool shows like Thomas. Mainly since they air on NHK, which is the Japanese equivalent of PBS. And to be honest, that's mostly because those shows help kids learn English (and some older teens as well.. it has very basic dialog which makes it a good learning tool to help them learn English and basic sentence structure)

But as far a like, the latest superhero or American action cartoon, not really. Not when they have shows like One Piece, Naruto, and etcetera at their fingertips. There's not much reason to watch anything else from other countries. Anime is a lot more popular in the US than US shows are there, especially with the online community. I believe since anime offers things western animation does not, while western animation doesn't really offer anything you can't find in anime.

i thought that but then why do japanese like american superhero films live action i mean didnt the avengers do really well over there

05-07-12, 3:03 PM

juken16 said:
Armiga21 said:

juken16 said:

i thought that but then why do japanese like american superhero films live action i mean didnt the avengers do really well over there

Which is why people should be careful of general statements. It just depends on the individual/group whether or not they like it.

05-07-12, 5:34 PM

juken16 said:

Did it? All my sources don't list Avenger's turnout in Japan, so either it hasn't premiered there yet or hasn't been collected yet.

Though you're talking about a live-action movie, not a television cartoon. The movie market is completely different than the television one. Movies aren't as big in Japan as they are in America (or really anywhere outside America, since Hollywood has a monopoly on movies) Most movies in Japan don't make more than 10 million dollars USD at the box office.

Though if you want a list of how well recent superhero movies performed in Japan. In 2011 Thor made almost 6 million, Captain America made about 3 million and Green Lantern only made half a million.

In fact, the top movie of 2012 so far in Japan is the annual Doraemon movie, which made 42 Million USD. That's be considered a flop by Hollywood standards, but pretty dang good for Japan's standards.

05-07-12, 5:43 PM

Powerpuff girls must have aired there one time or another because they made their own anime adaptation Powerpuff Girls Z

I wonder if in japan there are american animation fans that boast how superior it is and how shitty japanese animation is like people here do against western and for japanese LOL

05-07-12, 5:49 PM

Armiga21 said:
juken16 said:

Did it? All my sources don't list Avenger's turnout in Japan, so either it hasn't premiered there yet or hasn't been collected yet.

Though you're talking about a live-action movie, not a television cartoon. The movie market is completely different than the television one. Movies aren't as big in Japan as they are in America (or really anywhere outside America, since Hollywood has a monopoly on movies) Most movies in Japan don't make more than 10 million dollars USD at the box office.

Though if you want a list of how well recent superhero movies performed in Japan. In 2011 Thor made almost 6 million, Captain America made about 3 million and Green Lantern only made half a million.

In fact, the top movie of 2012 so far in Japan is the annual Doraemon movie, which made 42 Million USD. That's be considered a flop by Hollywood standards, but pretty dang good for Japan's standards.

so let me get this, i have read that recent super sentai movies make it big but by american standards they would be flops, but anime movies make more then live action is that right

05-07-12, 5:49 PM

traed said:
Powerpuff girls must have aired there one time or another because they made their own anime adaptation Powerpuff Girls Z

I wonder if in japan there are american animation fans that boast how superior it is and how shitty japanese animation is like people here do against western and for japanese LOL

i wonder that too

05-07-12, 5:56 PM

I thought they loved HollyWood movies

05-07-12, 6:17 PM

Enjolras1830 said:
Japan does not need western super hero animation

cuase we have longer tradition of live action super Hero Shows

Sentai been running since 75
Ultra since 50's
Kamen Rider since 72
Metal Hero 82-98
Non franchise Toku to or 3 run a year

Since you live in japan i want to ask how did marvel anime do in Japan because it was all over the place here in America mostly alot of mediocre or bad reviews

05-07-12, 6:53 PM

CaptLuffy said:

I'm pretty sure Pixar stuff (3D animation) does pretty well overseas.

05-07-12, 7:40 PM

juken16 said:
so let me get this, i have read that recent super sentai movies make it big but by american standards they would be flops, but anime movies make more then live action is that right

It depends. It's just that 40 million is small compared to American theaters where the bigger hits tend to be over 200 million.

Since you live in japan i want to ask how did marvel anime do in Japan because it was all over the place here in America mostly alot of mediocre or bad reviews

They were very poorly received. I don't think they even had a video release in Japan, but I didn't look very much into it. If it did, it was pretty small.

05-07-12, 8:43 PM

juken16 said:

The Avengers isn't even in theaters in Japan yet (I really screamed when I realized this) :/ Its Japanese release date is August 17...

05-07-12, 9:25 PM

MerronSoda said:
juken16 said:

The Avengers isn't even in theaters in Japan yet (I really screamed when I realized this) :/ Its Japanese release date is August 17...

well i meant to say movies like thor, captain american, and the dark knight

05-07-12, 10:17 PM

Fui said:
CaptLuffy said:

I'm pretty sure Pixar stuff (3D animation) does pretty well overseas.

Japanese viewers shell out big $$$ for Pixar and for other American animated films. It's not fair to compare box office receipts on a dollar-to-dollar basis as the population of Japan is less than 1/2 of the USA, but consider this:

2011 Toy Story 3 - Japanese box office ~ $108million - $0.85 per person (not too far from US gross of $1.33 per person)
2011 Arrietty - Japanese box office ~ $92.5million - $0.73 per person

More box office receipts for Toy Story 3 than Arrietty IN JAPAN??? Well, maybe Anime makes huge $$$ in the USA because we are film and anime fanatics? No.

Top box office for Japanese animated film in USA:
1. Pokemon: The First Movie - USA box office - $85,744,662 - $0.28 per person
It drops off fast after that.

So, American animation can do very well in Japan, better in fact than Japanese animation has done in the USA, but as others have pointed out it depends on the particular product.

05-08-12, 12:09 AM

verdstein said:
So, American animation can do very well in Japan, better in fact than Japanese animation has done in the USA.

What a grossly misleading statement.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices