Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 7, 2012 8:55 AM
Dec 2009
I have been wondering how does american animation do in japan and i dont mean shows like spongebob or power puff girls i mean action adventure shows like young justice, Batman TAS, Johnny Quest you know shows like that do Japanese fans take to them
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 7, 2012 9:02 AM

Sep 2010
Big American cable stations like Cartoon Network, Disney, and Nick will usually have their American stuff broadcast in foreign countries. They try to force those shows onto people in Japan and some people end up watching or at least have their T.Vs on but those shows don't do well when compared to domestic Japanese shows.

May 7, 2012 10:05 AM
Jun 2011
Well, as Anime_Name said, those companies tend to shoehorn in and force their shows in other countries because of how rich they are. It's not like anime here where companies have to license individual shows, Nickelodeon/CN/Disney buy air time in other countries and handle all that themselves in an attempt at globalization, which usually fails, but I guess they still make enough money back to keep doing it (except Nickelodeon, which got kicked out of Japan when Nick Japan shut down)

Anyway, the only western show Japan really knows of is Thomas the Tank Engine, but it's British not American so I guess it doesn't count. Also it's not really a cartoon, it's live-action stop motion.

juken16 said:
I have been wondering how does american animation do in japan and i dont mean shows like spongebob or power puff girls i mean action adventure shows like young justice, Batman TAS, Johnny Quest you know shows like that do Japanese fans take to them

Oh. Well, no, they don't like those shows. The only western animation that even blips on the radar is really one or two random preschool shows like Thomas. Mainly since they air on NHK, which is the Japanese equivalent of PBS. And to be honest, that's mostly because those shows help kids learn English (and some older teens as well.. it has very basic dialog which makes it a good learning tool to help them learn English and basic sentence structure)

But as far a like, the latest superhero or American action cartoon, not really. Not when they have shows like One Piece, Naruto, and etcetera at their fingertips. There's not much reason to watch anything else from other countries. Anime is a lot more popular in the US than US shows are there, especially with the online community. I believe since anime offers things western animation does not, while western animation doesn't really offer anything you can't find in anime.
May 7, 2012 10:11 AM
May 7, 2012 10:12 AM
Mar 2011
Japan does not need western super hero animation

cuase we have longer tradition of live action super Hero Shows

Sentai been running since 75
Ultra since 50's
Kamen Rider since 72
Metal Hero 82-98
Non franchise Toku to or 3 run a year
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 7, 2012 2:40 PM
Dec 2009
Armiga21 said:
Well, as Anime_Name said, those companies tend to shoehorn in and force their shows in other countries because of how rich they are. It's not like anime here where companies have to license individual shows, Nickelodeon/CN/Disney buy air time in other countries and handle all that themselves in an attempt at globalization, which usually fails, but I guess they still make enough money back to keep doing it (except Nickelodeon, which got kicked out of Japan when Nick Japan shut down)

Anyway, the only western show Japan really knows of is Thomas the Tank Engine, but it's British not American so I guess it doesn't count. Also it's not really a cartoon, it's live-action stop motion.

juken16 said:

Oh. Well, no, they don't like those shows. The only western animation that even blips on the radar is really one or two random preschool shows like Thomas. Mainly since they air on NHK, which is the Japanese equivalent of PBS. And to be honest, that's mostly because those shows help kids learn English (and some older teens as well.. it has very basic dialog which makes it a good learning tool to help them learn English and basic sentence structure)

But as far a like, the latest superhero or American action cartoon, not really. Not when they have shows like One Piece, Naruto, and etcetera at their fingertips. There's not much reason to watch anything else from other countries. Anime is a lot more popular in the US than US shows are there, especially with the online community. I believe since anime offers things western animation does not, while western animation doesn't really offer anything you can't find in anime.

i thought that but then why do japanese like american superhero films live action i mean didnt the avengers do really well over there
May 7, 2012 3:03 PM

Apr 2007
juken16 said:
Armiga21 said:

juken16 said:

i thought that but then why do japanese like american superhero films live action i mean didnt the avengers do really well over there

Which is why people should be careful of general statements. It just depends on the individual/group whether or not they like it.
May 7, 2012 5:34 PM
Jun 2011
juken16 said:

Did it? All my sources don't list Avenger's turnout in Japan, so either it hasn't premiered there yet or hasn't been collected yet.

Though you're talking about a live-action movie, not a television cartoon. The movie market is completely different than the television one. Movies aren't as big in Japan as they are in America (or really anywhere outside America, since Hollywood has a monopoly on movies) Most movies in Japan don't make more than 10 million dollars USD at the box office.

Though if you want a list of how well recent superhero movies performed in Japan. In 2011 Thor made almost 6 million, Captain America made about 3 million and Green Lantern only made half a million.

In fact, the top movie of 2012 so far in Japan is the annual Doraemon movie, which made 42 Million USD. That's be considered a flop by Hollywood standards, but pretty dang good for Japan's standards.
May 7, 2012 5:43 PM

Mar 2008
Powerpuff girls must have aired there one time or another because they made their own anime adaptation Powerpuff Girls Z

I wonder if in japan there are american animation fans that boast how superior it is and how shitty japanese animation is like people here do against western and for japanese LOL
May 7, 2012 5:49 PM
Dec 2009
Armiga21 said:
juken16 said:

Did it? All my sources don't list Avenger's turnout in Japan, so either it hasn't premiered there yet or hasn't been collected yet.

Though you're talking about a live-action movie, not a television cartoon. The movie market is completely different than the television one. Movies aren't as big in Japan as they are in America (or really anywhere outside America, since Hollywood has a monopoly on movies) Most movies in Japan don't make more than 10 million dollars USD at the box office.

Though if you want a list of how well recent superhero movies performed in Japan. In 2011 Thor made almost 6 million, Captain America made about 3 million and Green Lantern only made half a million.

In fact, the top movie of 2012 so far in Japan is the annual Doraemon movie, which made 42 Million USD. That's be considered a flop by Hollywood standards, but pretty dang good for Japan's standards.

so let me get this, i have read that recent super sentai movies make it big but by american standards they would be flops, but anime movies make more then live action is that right
May 7, 2012 5:49 PM
Dec 2009
traed said:
Powerpuff girls must have aired there one time or another because they made their own anime adaptation Powerpuff Girls Z

I wonder if in japan there are american animation fans that boast how superior it is and how shitty japanese animation is like people here do against western and for japanese LOL

i wonder that too
May 7, 2012 5:56 PM

Apr 2012
I thought they loved HollyWood movies
May 7, 2012 6:17 PM
Dec 2009
Enjolras1830 said:
Japan does not need western super hero animation

cuase we have longer tradition of live action super Hero Shows

Sentai been running since 75
Ultra since 50's
Kamen Rider since 72
Metal Hero 82-98
Non franchise Toku to or 3 run a year

Since you live in japan i want to ask how did marvel anime do in Japan because it was all over the place here in America mostly alot of mediocre or bad reviews
May 7, 2012 6:53 PM

Mar 2008
CaptLuffy said:

I'm pretty sure Pixar stuff (3D animation) does pretty well overseas.
May 7, 2012 7:40 PM
Jun 2011
juken16 said:
so let me get this, i have read that recent super sentai movies make it big but by american standards they would be flops, but anime movies make more then live action is that right

It depends. It's just that 40 million is small compared to American theaters where the bigger hits tend to be over 200 million.

Since you live in japan i want to ask how did marvel anime do in Japan because it was all over the place here in America mostly alot of mediocre or bad reviews

They were very poorly received. I don't think they even had a video release in Japan, but I didn't look very much into it. If it did, it was pretty small.
May 7, 2012 8:43 PM

Mar 2012
juken16 said:

The Avengers isn't even in theaters in Japan yet (I really screamed when I realized this) :/ Its Japanese release date is August 17...
May 7, 2012 9:25 PM
Dec 2009
MerronSoda said:
juken16 said:

The Avengers isn't even in theaters in Japan yet (I really screamed when I realized this) :/ Its Japanese release date is August 17...

well i meant to say movies like thor, captain american, and the dark knight
May 7, 2012 10:17 PM
Jan 2012
Fui said:
CaptLuffy said:

Japanese viewers shell out big $$$ for Pixar and for other American animated films. It's not fair to compare box office receipts on a dollar-to-dollar basis as the population of Japan is less than 1/2 of the USA, but consider this:

2011 Toy Story 3 - Japanese box office ~ $108million - $0.85 per person (not too far from US gross of $1.33 per person)
2011 Arrietty - Japanese box office ~ $92.5million - $0.73 per person

More box office receipts for Toy Story 3 than Arrietty IN JAPAN??? Well, maybe Anime makes huge $$$ in the USA because we are film and anime fanatics? No.

Top box office for Japanese animated film in USA:
1. Pokemon: The First Movie - USA box office - $85,744,662 - $0.28 per person
It drops off fast after that.

So, American animation can do very well in Japan, better in fact than Japanese animation has done in the USA, but as others have pointed out it depends on the particular product.
May 8, 2012 12:09 AM
Jun 2011
verdstein said:
So, American animation can do very well in Japan, better in fact than Japanese animation has done in the USA.

What a grossly misleading statement.
May 8, 2012 12:31 AM

Sep 2010
verdstein said:

So, American animation can do very well in Japan, better in fact than Japanese animation has done in the USA, but as others have pointed out it depends on the particular product.

All you did was cherry-pick some Disney/Pixar films that grossed really well and ignored so many failures like Cars, Ice Age:Meltdown, Shrek the Third, Corpse Bride,Rango...I could go on but the point is to not just look at the top 1% when trying to making a generalization about an entire market.

I agree that some Disney/Pixar movies can be huge blockbusters around the globe but that mostly has to do with how well Disney markets it's products and doesn't really say anything about the overall performance of American animated movies in Japan.

May 8, 2012 1:08 AM
Mar 2011
Armiga21 said:
juken16 said:

It depends. It's just that 40 million is small compared to American theaters where the bigger hits tend to be over 200 million.

They were very poorly received. I don't think they even had a video release in Japan, but I didn't look very much into it. If it did, it was pretty small.

you beat me to it tehy are yet to Get a proper DVD Relese
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

May 8, 2012 1:16 AM
Mar 2011
also take in to acccout the Japanese Film/Music isdusrey are the 2nd Biggest in the world that is displayed in the fact that for the past 3 years worldwide[Grossing tickest] has been AKB 48 2.2 Billion YeN in a YEAR in Japan alone

May 8, 2012 1:51 AM
Jun 2011
Anime_Name said:
I could go on but the point is to not just look at the top 1% when trying to making a generalization about an entire market.

It's more like a small % of a market that is also a small % of the market; movies pale in comparison to manga and television in Japan. The problem is movies are the only chance American animation has to be noticed at all by Japan, and American cartoon fans know this which is why they cling to movie sales so much and use those every chance they get and completely ignore television and manga sales despite being a bigger market (It says a lot when sales from 1 volume of a manga can out do most movies's box office performances in Japan) It's like saying French animation dominates Americans airwaves because Totally Spies got the best ratings at 12:30 PM on Saturdays when it aired. It's too specific and narrow of a view to be a worthwhile measurement.
OddjokeMay 8, 2012 1:59 AM
May 8, 2012 2:05 AM
Mar 2011
Armiga21 said:
Anime_Name said:
I could go on but the point is to not just look at the top 1% when trying to making a generalization about an entire market.

It's more like a small % of a market that is also a small % of the market; movies pale in comparison to manga and television in Japan. The problem is movies are the only chance American animation has to be noticed at all by Japan, and American cartoon fans know this which is why they cling to movie sales so much and use those every chance they get and completely ignore television and manga sales despite being a bigger market (It says a lot when sales from 1 volume of a manga can out do most movies's box office performances in Japan) It's like saying French animation dominates Americans airwaves because Totally Spies got the best ratings at 12:30 PM on Saturdays when it aired. It's too specific and narrow of a view to be a worthwhile measurement.

{/thread]

May 8, 2012 11:38 AM
Dec 2009
verdstein said:
Fui said:
CaptLuffy said:

Japanese viewers shell out big $$$ for Pixar and for other American animated films. It's not fair to compare box office receipts on a dollar-to-dollar basis as the population of Japan is less than 1/2 of the USA, but consider this:

2011 Toy Story 3 - Japanese box office ~ $108million - $0.85 per person (not too far from US gross of $1.33 per person)
2011 Arrietty - Japanese box office ~ $92.5million - $0.73 per person

More box office receipts for Toy Story 3 than Arrietty IN JAPAN??? Well, maybe Anime makes huge $$$ in the USA because we are film and anime fanatics? No.

Top box office for Japanese animated film in USA:
1. Pokemon: The First Movie - USA box office - $85,744,662 - $0.28 per person
It drops off fast after that.

i really did not want too really go in to stuff like disney and pixar because in away they helped shade manga look at astro boy i want to know about mostly television animation from america thats more action adventure comapnies like disney and pixar i get have crossover appeal
May 8, 2012 11:44 AM
Dec 2009
Armiga21 said:
Anime_Name said:

so what your saying is unlike here in America where movie are always a big to do be it live action or animated in Japan they are small thing. So Avengers EMH might not be seen but the Avengers movie will be out

I do not get that considering the amount of movies japanese studios produce with in a year in its prime dragonball made 2 movies a year

i also wanted to add this the main reason for why i started this thread this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3JU4vUcRmw&list=PLF0129C205C0D2836&index=170&feature=plpp_video
juken16May 8, 2012 11:53 AM
May 8, 2012 12:01 PM
Mar 2011
juken16 said:
Armiga21 said:
Anime_Name said:

so what your saying is unlike here in America where movie are always a big to do be it live action or animated in Japan they are small thing. So Avengers EMH might not be seen but the Avengers movie will be out

I do not get that considering the amount of movies japanese studios produce with in a year in its prime dragonball made 2 movies a year

i also wanted to add this the main reason for why i started this thread this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3JU4vUcRmw&list=PLF0129C205C0D2836&index=170&feature=plpp_video

the main reason spiderman is Famous here is not via comics its Via a 70's Toku show

May 8, 2012 12:05 PM
May 2012
hey ^^ i'm kinda new here, is this anything like a chatroom? and is someone here from belgium, limburg?
May 8, 2012 12:08 PM
Mar 2011
KeiriChann said:
hey ^^ i'm kinda new here, is this anything like a chatroom? and is someone here from belgium, limburg?

no this is a forum not a chatroom sorry

May 8, 2012 12:36 PM
Jan 2012
juken16 said:

Armiga21 might have been referring specifically to animated films, which are about 10-20% of the total anime market.
http://www.jetro.org/trends/market_info_anime.pdf
The total box office receipts in Japan (live action + anime) are substantial, and are about the same as the total anime market
http://www.eiren.org/statistics_e/index.html
American action adventure films can do very well in Japan. E.g. Spider Man 3 made 7.25 billion yen @ box office in Japan in 2007 (about $90million), which maybe explains the opening scene of the video you linked. Also, as Enjolras1830 pointed out, Spiderman has some history in Japan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_%28Toei_TV_series%29

It's a good point that if animated movies were irrelevant in Japan, Japanese animation studios would not be making them. Animated films are making ~30 billion yen per year in Japan, so nothing to sneeze at. The animated TV market is larger, but there is a glut of competition.
May 8, 2012 12:41 PM
Mar 2011
verdstein said:
juken16 said:

Armiga21 might have been referring specifically to animated films, which are about 10-20% of the total anime market.
http://www.jetro.org/trends/market_info_anime.pdf
The total box office receipts in Japan (live action + anime) are substantial, and are about the same as the total anime market
http://www.eiren.org/statistics_e/index.html
American action adventure films can do very well in Japan. E.g. Spider Man 3 made 7.25 billion yen @ box office in Japan in 2007 (about $90million), which maybe explains the opening scene of the video you linked. Also, as Enjolras1830 pointed out, Spiderman has some history in Japan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_%28Toei_TV_series%29

It's a good point that if animated movies were irrelevant in Japan, Japanese animation studios would not be making them. Animated films are making ~30 billion yen per year in Japan, so nothing to sneeze at. The animated TV market is larger, but there is a glut of competition.

i hope you could brakw down were the impoted films came
from those impoted movies are not Just Us Movies

May 8, 2012 12:56 PM
Jun 2011
juken16 said:

I guess.

The title of the video is Amecomi Specialty Store and they talk about a specialty store that specializes in Amecomi (Japanese word for American comics, similar to how we use manga to say Japanese comics) Which are very rare in Japan. And most awareness of Amecomic characters comes from the live-action Hollywood movies (which isn't all that different from America to be honest. When you say Iron Man, most people are going to think Roberty Downy Jr, and if you say Wolverine, they'll think Hugh Jackman)

Though as verdstein's links point out, Non-Japaneses films make up roughly 50% of the movie market in Japan, which is quite a lot. So yes, movies are one place America is noticeable in Japan because on their own they don't make anywhere near as many as America does. Movies have always been monopolized by Hollywood. It's just this sometimes applies to animated films as well so sometimes they gets big turnouts like Toy Story 3. Though not always.. Cars 2 made only a fraction of what Toy Story 3 made in Japan.

Making movies is one thing, but having them be huge blockbusters is another. The budgets for movies in Japan are only a fraction of what they are in America, so they can only make 10 Million USD and still turn a profit, where as most movies in the US would consider it a bomb.
OddjokeMay 8, 2012 1:00 PM
May 8, 2012 1:02 PM
Jan 2012
Enjolras1830 said:

Good point. It appears that about 90% of top-grossing imported films in Japan are from the US.
http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/
http://www.eiren.org/boxoffice_e/

The reason I've been citing film stats is because they are easy to find and are generally well organized. In terms of DVD sales, it seems the ratios are comparable. E.g. the fraction of the foreign market in Japanese animated DVDs is ~10%
http://www.jva-net.or.jp/en/genre_2001-2011_en.pdf
For film, foreign animations box office receipts are also around 10% of the total for animations, though higher in years with foreign blockbusters like Toy Story 3.
May 8, 2012 1:22 PM
Mar 2011
verdstein said:
Enjolras1830 said:

Good point. It appears that about 90% of top-grossing imported films in Japan are from the US.
http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/
http://www.eiren.org/boxoffice_e/

The reason I've been citing film stats is because they are easy to find and are generally well organized. In terms of DVD sales, it seems the ratios are comparable. E.g. the fraction of the foreign market in Japanese animated DVDs is ~10%
http://www.jva-net.or.jp/en/genre_2001-2011_en.pdf
For film, foreign animations box office receipts are also around 10% of the total for animations, though higher in years with foreign blockbusters like Toy Story 3.

the reason Dvd sales are sligly more important in Japan is cuase the V cinema Market is bigger in Japan than its sort of idea in any Western nation alot of bigger Japanese Directors are V Cinema over Theater even in Japan
Mostly Sparking only Toei, Genon [ who own universal Japan] Toho and some Japanese Branch Mutilnation studio stuff and Impoted stuff gets put in Theaters
thats the Biig three in Japan studios wise
all no Non Major Movies get Proper Nation wide Theater relese
----
V cinema = Home Media Only

May 8, 2012 1:27 PM
Dec 2009
this is the first time i asked these questions and got really good answers so thank you everyone

i know from what i have found american comics are not big in japan and nor its seem american comic series well except batman from the 60's but i think thats because it was kind of toku

but i have one more question to ask how do american video games based on comics fair i mean exactly how big is capcom vs marvel series
May 8, 2012 1:32 PM
Mar 2011
juken16 said:
this is the first time i asked these questions and got really good answers so thank you everyone

i know from what i have found american comics are not big in japan and nor its seem american comic series well except batman from the 60's but i think thats because it was kind of toku

but i have one more question to ask how do american video games based on comics fair i mean exactly how big is capcom vs marvel series

Us made games outside of Wizardry Ultima, very few USA made games make any Impact in Japan

MvC 2 is still a big money maker in Japan Arcade Wise so the Home version sell Ok

May 8, 2012 2:00 PM
Dec 2009
Enjolras1830 said:
juken16 said:

Us made games outside of Wizardry Ultima, very few USA made games make any Impact in Japan

MvC 2 is still a big money maker in Japan Arcade Wise so the Home version sell Ok

so MvC 3 is not big
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.