Forum Settings
Forums

Notifications: Notification when a related anime is added, and on your list. [Accepted]

New
Sep 18, 2008 3:07 PM
Feb 2008
Hello!

When I was looking at the features in the settings I can make in my animelist I was a little bit disappointed. It is only possible to make notifications for upcoming episodes. In my opinion it would be great if you could sign up for notifications for sequels, spin-offs and alternative versions as well, because i experienced that there were new spin-offs, sequels or specials I haven't heard of after watching the series and only found out that there were new releases by accident. Unlimited ntifications would be great!

If this feature is already included in the "fansub notification" stuff it would be great if you could unlimit the notifications.

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
_Ghost_Apr 21, 2016 3:32 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 22, 2008 4:51 PM

Feb 2008
this sounds like a nice idea, but i don't think it'll happen anytime soon since the notification system itself currently broken.
Oct 9, 2009 4:42 PM
Jul 2009
I was going to make a topic for this, but I searched it first.
I think this would be an awesome idea. I'd love to be able to have this feature.
Oct 10, 2009 6:20 AM

Apr 2008
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=8652

And check the news discussion regularly, Dtshyk does a good job at finding news, unless you're watching something very obscure, there's bound to be an announcement.

edit: and why do you really need it? All spin-offs, sequels , movies etc are listed in the database and can be easily found just looking at the page for the anime. If it isn't in the database, then you wouldn't be getting notifications anyway.
SoheiOct 10, 2009 6:25 AM
Oct 10, 2009 6:36 AM

Apr 2008
Sohei said:
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=8652

And check the news discussion regularly, Dtshyk does a good job at finding news, unless you're watching something very obscure, there's bound to be an announcement.

edit: and why do you really need it? All spin-offs, sequels , movies etc are listed in the database and can be easily found just looking at the page for the anime. If it isn't in the database, then you wouldn't be getting notifications anyway.

what if a user has watched over 400 anime and loved them all, how would he keep up 2 date on what anime has an sequal

the notification email would be a great feature +1 for me
Oct 10, 2009 7:08 AM

Apr 2008
huyyy said:

what if a user has watched over 400 anime and loved them all, how would he keep up 2 date on what anime has an sequal

the notification email would be a great feature +1 for me

First of all, I doubt anyone has watched 400 completely unrelated anime (or manga), and given all 400 a 10..

Of course, that is unrelated, but felt like pointing it out. Again, as I said, every anime page contains what sequels or spin-offs have come out or will come out, if one really feels like watching such a thing, you could find it with a click of a button, really it doesn't take much time.

And again, every title which gets q sequel is usually announced in the news section; Seeing as there aren't that many "announced" titles at any one time, it's quite easy to be on top of things. furthermore, the club I linked before lists all the anime which will be aired in the next season (and i'm sure you can find other comprehensive lists for a particular new anime season without much ado), A glance will tell you what will come out in the coming months, quite easy, no?

Certainly, a notification feature for series might be useful, but it all comes down to lazyness. You can easily find sequels without such a notification.
Oct 16, 2009 1:47 AM
Jun 2008
Is there the possibility to search series related to the ones you've already seen, but you haven't seen yet? Or, even better, the possibility to be notified when a new series, related to one you've already seen, comes out?

If yes, please tell me how to do it :D
If not, I think it would be a very useful feature. I don't have the time to check for every anime that comes out, so often I miss sequels, specials, etc. related to series I enjoyed in the past, and I find out casually months later, or even not at all.

My 2 cents :)
Oct 16, 2009 2:10 AM

Nov 2007
I think this topic is quite similar to what you're looking for:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=43824

Generally we already have relations set up between sequels, specials, OVAs, and spin-offs. If you want something broader, the recommendations are there for a reason.

You can also follow these two pages:
http://tinyurl.com/yf9enbv
http://tinyurl.com/yfgoe3v

Links wouldn't process correctly in the post >.>

The news feed is also worth following if you want updates on sequels and new anime.

Yes, automated notifications are easier for you, but it's not like there aren't any resources on the site that can already help. It's just a matter of checking once in a while.
Oct 16, 2009 2:37 AM
Jun 2008
Thanks a lot, that's really gonna help me :)

So, even if it's easy to manually check for new seasons, automatic is generally better :P So my suggestion is still valid; I don't think we need email notification, but even a simple dinamically generated page on the profile would do, and it wouldn't be heavy on resources.
Jan 9, 2012 11:03 AM

Oct 2009
Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place, but I would like to suggest a new feature in this website - notifications. In particular, I would like notifications of new seasons/ ovas/ etc, of animes which are already in our anime list.

If it is already possible, please let me know how.

(Excuse my not so good English.)

Thank you in advance.
Jan 9, 2012 11:45 PM

Apr 2010
This... is actually a really good idea.

I'd like it very much if the site would notify me when OVAs of series I've watched aired, or anime that I've put on my "plan to watch list" start airing. Would save me a ton of trouble having to check every week.

+1
Jan 10, 2012 3:03 AM

Jul 2008
don't really see this happening since all you have to do is look at the upcoming section here on MAL 4 times a year so know if something related to what you have seen before or plan to is being released
Jan 10, 2012 5:22 AM

Apr 2010
Checking the upcoming section is one thing. Actually remembering to watch them is another. I know I'm definitely not organized enough to keep up with everything without reminders.
Jan 10, 2012 5:50 AM

Nov 2007
Organizing in google doc (spreadsheet) or google calendar would be an idea to remind yourself when needed to.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 10, 2012 3:03 PM

Nov 2006
I think we had something like this way back when but it broke... am I making that up? We had notifications for something...

Anyway, I just constantly refresh TT/nyaa. Using RSS would probably be more efficient, but I like refreshing TT...

I also check this site for anime air dates and times.
Jan 10, 2012 3:57 PM

Oct 2009
I know that there are other ways to see what is coming... Even though, it would be very nice to have these notifications.
Jan 11, 2012 4:08 PM
Jul 2010
Despite the possible alternatives, this is nonetheless a great suggestion. Considering the intentions of the site, this would very well be a great feature.
Dec 1, 2013 1:37 PM

Mar 2013
Hi,

Recently I've been talking with a friend about an anime I watched long time ago, and he told me that a sequel is now airing, which I didn't know about.
After looking through about half of my anime list I found many new OVAs/sequels/side stories.

So I thought it would be nice to receive a notification when a new related anime/manga to one in your list is coming out, so you're not staying behind.

It could also cover changes on entries, like when new episodes/chapters are out, or when changing status from 'not yet aired' to 'airing'.
Dec 1, 2013 2:25 PM

Mar 2013
For the time being, keep an eye on the News Forum Section, as well as regularly check this club out.
Knowledge indeed is power when it comes to anime series. :)
Dec 1, 2013 2:38 PM

Mar 2013
Subpyro said:
For the time being, keep an eye on the News Forum Section, as well as regularly check this club out.
Knowledge indeed is power when it comes to anime series. :)

Who I had in mind are people that watch/read series and forget about them quickly, so looking by title isn't an option and it's a pain to look though a list of 500 entries to check for any new series related to them.
Dec 1, 2013 3:05 PM

Feb 2013
I use the 'Suggestions' tab of MALGraph which shows every anime related to what you've already seen, but id love if MAL notified me with these
Dec 1, 2013 9:09 PM

Mar 2013
You've seen less than 200 series overall. It's kind of hard to imagine for you not to remember the titles.
Perhaps checking the titles out in the database once per year would be a good reminder.
Dec 1, 2013 10:34 PM

Mar 2013
Subpyro said:
You've seen less than 200 series overall.

I am not talking about myself only. I think many other people would find this feature as useful as I could.

Subpyro said:
It's kind of hard to imagine for you not to remember the titles.

I really have bad memory for titles, names and such. Also, that '200' keeps growing over time ;)
May 5, 2014 1:42 AM
May 2014
well, seems like you are asking for new anime release notifications.
I have made a website that checks for newest manga chapter releases. Not the new mangas.The ability to monitor NEW mangas are on the to-do list but it's hard to plan functionality if there are no users and no complains ;)
If you are interested in checking for new chapters - see link in my profile description. Other that than I am not sure if there is a proper way to track new mangas..
Jun 19, 2015 6:34 PM

Dec 2013
It would be great if we were notified when an anime on our completed list received a sequel, OVA, movie, etc. I was completely shocked to see that Noragami was confirmed for a second season and it would've been nice to have a little heads up.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Jun 20, 2015 4:03 AM

Oct 2014
That'd be awesome
Jun 20, 2015 4:38 AM
Jul 2014
Yeah, this can really help us since i dont always check upcoming anime i cant know if a sequal of something i watched is going out or not, so i just find out about it if my friends tell me.
Jun 20, 2015 6:31 AM

Sep 2014
I'm all for this! We're too lazy to find out ourselves. Only joking, but seriously a notification would be nice.
My signature was removed, so I decided to change it.
Jun 20, 2015 6:53 AM

Jun 2008
For now you can go to http://graph.anime.sc, enter you nickname and go to the "Recommended" section.
Jun 20, 2015 12:26 PM
Jun 21, 2015 6:48 AM
Mar 2014
As long as we're given the option to disable it, sure. I don't want to be notified every time that a mediocrite gets another season.
Jun 21, 2015 7:03 AM

Oct 2014
That would be nice
Jun 21, 2015 8:56 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
vodall said:
As long as we're given the option to disable it, sure. I don't want to be notified every time that a mediocrite gets another season.

Yeah or the other way around, opt in after finishing a show whether or not to track for potential sequels. Good idea.
Jun 21, 2015 1:30 PM

Mar 2008
Hm im not opposed to it. Should be something that you tick on and off though because sometimes someone may watch a series for one season then not want to see more.
Jul 20, 2015 6:06 PM

Dec 2013
Bumping this thread since MAL's been making some changes clearly and everyone for the most part seems to be on board with this idea.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Jul 21, 2015 4:53 AM

Jun 2011
Since MAL has added Seasonal Anime, you don't have a reason to not be lazy now. You can just look when you're logged in. :P Doesn't MAL post news of this stuff too? Is this not enough?
Jul 21, 2015 4:59 AM

Oct 2014
Jinxsie said:
Since MAL has added Seasonal Anime, you don't have a reason to not be lazy now. You can just look when you're logged in. :P Doesn't MAL post news of this stuff too? Is this not enough?

Nope I don't even check news as much
Jul 21, 2015 6:16 AM

Jun 2011
Cnon said:
Nope I don't even check news as much

I don't either but I see it on the homepage. I'll read it if it's interesting. I've seen news about confirmed sequels so I assumed other members read those. :P
Jul 21, 2015 11:29 AM
Jul 2018
I like this idea.
Jul 23, 2015 10:37 AM
Feb 2014
Great idea. Sometimes I miss news about shows I love, even if I check regularly. It's a lot to keep up with. The idea for a box to "Do you want to receive updates about this show?" would be awesome sauce. Maybe a feed on our profile for followed tags?
Aug 25, 2015 10:55 PM

Mar 2012
I think it would be great to have a system like this on MAL, and it wouldn't be hard to code, I actually think it would be a fairly easy thing to do.

My suggestion is a system which would show a notification for anime that you've watched and has got new entries. Example: You've watched One Piece and there's a new entry related to it that you haven't watched, you'd receive a notification about that.

I think it would be a pretty good system since people aren't always aware of which anime is getting a new sequel, special, or whatever. For example, I stopped watching anime for 5 months and when I got back I wasn't aware that there were new entries related to some anime that I had watched in the past, and seeing one by one is a really tiring task for someone who has a 300+ anime watched.
It would be something really really useful for this community.

Give your thoughts on my suggestion.

Thanks.
Aug 25, 2015 11:51 PM

Oct 2014
I support this
Aug 25, 2015 11:56 PM

Apr 2014
Similar suggestions:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=698783
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=516339
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1416977
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1396687

And it's still didn't got implemented.
So for the meantime just keep on eye on MAL News every week or twice a month.
Haters always gonna hate.
Aug 26, 2015 12:07 AM

Jan 2013
Would be nice. I hate to suggest using a third party for this, but MALGraph is really good at tracking these things in the Recommmended section.

For example,
http://graph.anime.plus/Syrup-/recommendations,anime

If you scroll down past the top recommendations for me, there's a list of stuff in the same franchise as stuff I've watched that I still need to watch. This is good for OVAs, but it's helped me notice things that I missed the announcement for.
Aug 26, 2015 1:43 AM

Oct 2009
AniDB has this
Aug 26, 2015 9:36 PM

Mar 2012
Syrup- said:
Would be nice. I hate to suggest using a third party for this, but MALGraph is really good at tracking these things in the Recommmended section.

For example,
http://graph.anime.plus/Syrup-/recommendations,anime

If you scroll down past the top recommendations for me, there's a list of stuff in the same franchise as stuff I've watched that I still need to watch. This is good for OVAs, but it's helped me notice things that I missed the announcement for.

I wasn't aware about that! Wow, this is actually pretty good, thank you. I've been using MALgraph for a long time but seems like there are a few things I didn't know about it... Maybe it's a new feature from this current version of MALgraph, I find it strange that I had never seen it before.
But there's still a problem, it only shows, most of the time, unaired anime, I have a lot of "related entries" in my plan to watch list and MALgraph puts then in the "You've watched this..." category, which is kind of a disappointment, not really what I need :/
Thank you anyways.

Still, it would be much better to have this in MAL, it actually isn't something hard to code so why not.
Aug 26, 2015 10:02 PM

Apr 2014
b1GZZ said:
It actually isn't something hard to code so why not.

Then create your own website and do your suggestion if coding wasn't hard for you.
Haters always gonna hate.
Aug 27, 2015 7:20 PM

Mar 2012
Rayzer said:
b1GZZ said:
It actually isn't something hard to code so why not.

Then create your own website and do your suggestion if coding wasn't hard for you.

Dat signature though.
I do know some stuff about programming, I do not know any web-programming languages so even if I wanted to create a website I'd only know how to do very basic stuff, but what I suggested is considered "basic" to someone who created a website this big, with this much functionalities, implementing it would just be investing a few hours on the website.

I'm not saying the creator must implement this functionality, but it would be really useful for the entire community.

Don't come hating if you aren't interested in sharing your opinions on my suggestion, don't you know how to read? This is a section for suggestions/opinions about suggestions, not the General Discussion section. Just gtfo.
Aug 27, 2015 7:56 PM

Oct 2009
b1GZZ said:
what I suggested is considered "basic" to someone who created a website this big, with this much functionalities, implementing it would just be investing a few hours on the website.

Even for a site this big I still don't think it'd take just few hours
Besides, simply implementing may not even be the main issue. Performance issues have been a reason for bringing down multiple features that were already implemented: club mass messages, entire list deletion, signatures auto-updates, tag clouds, search (it currently only shows the last 50 results), statistics page just to name a few
SerhiykoAug 27, 2015 7:59 PM
Aug 27, 2015 10:02 PM

Mar 2012
It's true that it'd affect performance though, a good server would be needed which I have no idea if MAL as a good enough one already or not. That'd be probably the main problem, yeah.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Yesterday

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Today, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.