Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 3, 2012 2:10 PM

Apr 2011
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/05/03/the-elder-scrolls-online-officially-announced-can-bethesda-jump-genres/

Wow... I didn't see that coming. I wonder if that means it's the end of singleplayer TES?
May 3, 2012 2:49 PM
Jul 2018
Bethesda can't even balance a single-player game, why risk the MMO genre? I know that weirdos have been asking for multi-player Elder Scrolls for a long time, but unless something changes this doesn't excite me.

Although that being said, I couldn't get into Skyrim. I loved Morrowind, liked Oblivion, but lost interest in Skyrim. I'm still planning to pick it back up, but I currently have it shelved. So maybe I'm done with Bethesda's offerings, who knows.
removed-userMay 3, 2012 2:55 PM
May 3, 2012 2:53 PM

Mar 2012
What the Fuck is this Shit? I heard it's gonna be in 3rd person like WoW. Did anyone hear otherwise? Please tell me they are not. Then I'll resort to diving off my roof into pavement.
May 3, 2012 3:15 PM

Apr 2012
insipidclownfish said:
Bethesda can't even balance a single-player game, why risk the MMO genre? I know that weirdos have been asking for multi-player Elder Scrolls for a long time, but unless something changes this doesn't excite me.

Although that being said, I couldn't get into Skyrim. I loved Morrowind, liked Oblivion, but lost interest in Skyrim. I'm still planning to pick it back up, but I currently have it shelved. So maybe I'm done with Bethesda's offerings, who knows.

I agree with what you're saying. However, Bethesda isn't developing the game. I'm personally not even interested in this game. Elder Scrolls for me is all about exploring the world and doing whatever I want.
VaskrMay 3, 2012 9:10 PM
May 3, 2012 3:22 PM

Apr 2011
This actually sounds pretty interesting but if they are planning to make the multiplayer games server based then the server hosters must be insane to keep up with even 20 players on the same server.... Let alone a server on the magnitude of WoW.
May 3, 2012 4:10 PM

Sep 2008
I just wanted a co-op multiplayer Elder Scrolls, not an MMO.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
May 3, 2012 4:15 PM

Sep 2011
oh man this is a train wreck waiting to happen, to see what happens when a developer attempts moving their franchise to a MMO format please look at the old republic(hint hint, it didnt work out to well) granted i have more faith in bethesda than i do bioware so its possible it couyld be good, though im pretty sure anybody in their right mind would prefer elder scrolls 6 instead

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 3, 2012 4:22 PM

Sep 2008
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
oh man this is a train wreck waiting to happen, to see what happens when a developer attempts moving their franchise to a MMO format please look at the old republic(hint hint, it didnt work out to well) granted i have more faith in bethesda than i do bioware so its possible it couyld be good, though im pretty sure anybody in their right mind would prefer elder scrolls 6 instead

Worked for Blizzard.....

Bioware failed because you had a single dev team who have never made an online game period then suddenly decided to jump into MMOs. Bethesda has made plenty of online games.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
May 3, 2012 4:27 PM

Feb 2012
I like the lore, I don't like the games.

I support the idea.
May 3, 2012 4:45 PM

Jan 2011
Hope it doesn't affect the single player games, anyway I'd be fairly confident on betting all in for another mmo failure that will still turn a profit unfortunately.

Edit:By the way, fuck MMOs worst thing that ever happened to videogames just after EA and before DLCs
May 3, 2012 6:30 PM

Feb 2005
Yea, heard about this a couple of days ago. Not entirely excited at all.If the setting is interesting enough and they drop subscription fees though, I might be willing to give it a go I guess.
Jigero said:
There was a mod for that for Skyrim though.
May 3, 2012 7:45 PM

Apr 2011
Jigero said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

Worked for Blizzard.....

Bioware failed because you had a single dev team who have never made an online game period then suddenly decided to jump into MMOs. Bethesda has made plenty of online games.

But Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter nights have online multiplayer so that's not even an excuse.
May 3, 2012 7:53 PM

Dec 2010
This has been in development forever to anyone who cared to look. Not sure when the actual release date will be, but I will be submerged in DOTA2, Diablo 3, and possibly Tera for a very long time..

I am really interested in this though, and I'll be keeping tabs on it. I logged at least a solid 100 hours in to Skyrim, and I played a shit ton of Morrowind as well (the better of the two, in my opinion). We'll see :)
May 3, 2012 9:01 PM

Nov 2010
Sounds sort of interesting and when i first heard about it i sort of just thought "oh".. I've had my fair share of MMO's and I'll say for a majority of them it did not end well but maybe just maybe there may be hope for this one whenever it may be released to us.
May 3, 2012 10:19 PM

Feb 2008
Sounds interesting, but yes, it won't be coming out any time in the foreseeable future. A couple Skyrim expansions would be neat in the meantime.
May 4, 2012 3:55 AM

Jul 2007
Well this is Bethesda's TORtanic/TORcraft, i guess.

IF already streamlined and uninspired Skyrim did not kill them for me, this will..

Skyrim was a bit better than oblivion, but too streamlined and console-y. And too lifeless.

Oh well, back to re-playing Morrowind. AKA The REAL Elder Scrolls game.
May 4, 2012 5:23 AM
Jul 2018
We'll see how it turns out
May 4, 2012 10:43 AM

Apr 2012
Old news.

Anyhow I'd probably try it, but it probably sucks anyway. And yes, that's the right way to start a game nowadays, especially MMO's, to prevent disappointment.

A Pirate Is What I Am Harr Harr.

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

^Agreed.

JonyJC said:
Hope it doesn't affect the single player games, anyway I'd be fairly confident on betting all in for another mmo failure that will still turn a profit unfortunately.
Edit:By the way, fuck MMOs worst thing that ever happened to videogames just after EA and before DLCs

^Multiplayer always affects the single-player. It's a simple matter of math, you have three days to develop a game. If there is a multiplayer, then that means you will have several hours less for the single player.
kiltroutgore said:
"I am meme, hear me roar."
May 4, 2012 4:11 PM

Sep 2010
Oh no, no no! This is bad, I tell you. I'd heard rumors of this before but didn't actually believe they were true. There's so much that can go wrong here, even for the folks at Bethesda. Maybe especially for them, even. I thought that by Skyrim they had got their act back together after the somewhat disappointing Oblivion. Not anywhere near on par with Morrowind, but clearly an improvement.
No, I can't see how an MMORPG could work in Tamriel. The Elder Scrolls games have always focused on *one* hero, while the rest of the game world lives it's ordinary, fantasy world life of political disputes and everyday toils. An Elder Scrolls hero, by definition, is an exceptional individual who's fate is not predetermined or foreseeable by the gods, and who is truly one with indisputable free will. How will this work when you have thousands of individuals like this?
I really believe all the people wishing and asking for a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game are very short sighted about it.
This might just be an old fan of the series lamenting it's impending doom, who *should have known* they'd eventually get in on the MMO-bandwagon. I really do hope this turns out to be anything but half-baked and inconsistent with the established in-game mythology.

I'll just be in my corner playing Morrowind in the meanwhile, then.

Edit: Typos argh.
9thDreamMay 4, 2012 4:16 PM
May 7, 2012 1:03 AM
Feb 2010
The info about the story that's been released so far seems interesting.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/elder-scrolls-online

You have the Imperials (NPCs in this game) trying to retake Tamriel but allying with a Necromancer to do so, and all of the other races (available to the players) forming three separate factions but vaguely allied against the Imperials.

Ashamanii said:
JonyJC said:

^Multiplayer always affects the single-player. It's a simple matter of math, you have three days to develop a game. If there is a multiplayer, then that means you will have several hours less for the single player.

This is different though. The developers of the MMO are separate from Bethesda. It's like how The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3 were in development around the same time, or at least the schedules overlapped, but neither affected the other because different studios were working on it.
May 7, 2012 5:10 AM

Jul 2010
I see another boring, uninspired wow-clone coming along. I like how every studio that develops mmos says "This one is going to be the shit with incredible new features" and then it ends up as a wow with better graphics.
Oh well, maybe Ill play the open beta..
May 7, 2012 8:04 AM
Apr 2012
Who knows? maybe it will be a little like fallen earth
May 7, 2012 8:00 PM

Oct 2011
I'll just read the story, and probably stay away from the game itself.
May 7, 2012 10:19 PM

Apr 2011
lordzeru said:

Story? Elder Scrolls? Lol.
May 7, 2012 10:41 PM

Oct 2009
insipidclownfish said:

I guess you wouldn't have a problem with it since Bethesda is not the ones developing the game, Zenimax Studios is.
GogettersMay 7, 2012 10:49 PM
May 8, 2012 12:22 AM

Nov 2011
I actually got the game informer magazine with the article and in-game screenshots.
It seems interesting but it depends on how they create the game. The game looks almost like Rift but I hear they are going to put a "twist" on the normal MMORPG system like WoW, EQ, etc etc. with something more TES style.

I'm not quite sure how it will play out but it will be interesting to see.

Otherwise I'm going to be playing TERA online and GW2.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
May 8, 2012 6:44 AM

Oct 2011
Valaskjalf said:
lordzeru said:

The lore of the Elder Scrolls universe is more of note than most other franchise of similar genre. Not saying it's the best, but I find it slightly interesting enough to keep stored away for later memory.
lordzeruMay 8, 2012 9:07 AM
May 8, 2012 8:28 AM

Feb 2005
GuZ said:
"No first person view."
Oh, that's that then. Dammit.
May 8, 2012 9:06 AM

Jan 2008
My elo is higher than yours. You Vlad bro?
Apr 14, 2013 2:34 PM

Feb 2013
Valaskjalf said:
lordzeru said:

Yeah no kidding.
Apr 14, 2013 6:51 PM

Feb 2010
Really terrible animation and generic setting. It will sell due to the Elder Scolls name and many people who jumped on the Skyrim 'arrow2theknee' bandwagon.
Apr 15, 2013 4:15 AM

Oct 2009
elevenletters said:
A 20 minute video was leaked. (LINK)

Link dead.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Apr 15, 2013 6:15 AM

Aug 2012
Does anyone know if this will be subscription based or not? I can't be bothered to search. I don't even know if they have released this much information yet.
[url=myanimelist.net/profile/Stocky[/url]

My precious BB Code :(
Apr 15, 2013 6:34 AM

Dec 2012
Looks like it will be the same as many other MMO's by that video, I quit playing them last year and was considering trying this but I don't know now. I just want TES6 already! didn't enjoy Skyrim much.

Stocky said:
Does anyone know if this will be subscription based or not? I can't be bothered to search. I don't even know if they have released this much information yet.

help.elderscrollsonline.com said:

What payment model will The Elder Scrolls Online use?

We have not yet announced the business model for The Elder Scrolls Online . When we do, we'll be sure to share the news on our website and social channels ( Facebook , Twitter , Google+ ), so stay tuned!
It's right there on the site xD I personally think it's going to be P2P or B2P though.
Apr 15, 2013 6:50 AM

Sep 2012
Apparently, it's gonna fail so hard. This doesn't look like Elder Scrolls at all.
Apr 15, 2013 8:06 AM

Feb 2010
Stocky said:

It will launch with a paid subscription. Fret not, given the aesthetics, janky animation, the generic setting and the archaic combat system it will be f2p soon.

Seriously, anyone that is interested in this should watch that leaked gameplay video showing the epic battle between the little crab and the player. It will save you a lot of money.
Apr 15, 2013 9:18 AM

Jan 2012
I honestly have never seen why people have such a hard on for the elder scrolls. Morrowind wasn't bad, but I thought Oblivion was a travesty, and Skyrim wasn't much better.

On a side note, I actually lol'd when they said they were committed to making the best MMO ever made. Yeah, keep dreaming, Bethesda.
Lemme smang it girl.
Apr 16, 2013 3:33 PM

Mar 2013
Jigero said:

totally agree that is what bethesda's games need more than anything
Rhaegar fought valiantly,
Rhaegar fought nobly,
Rheagar died.
Apr 16, 2013 3:38 PM

Jan 2013
Wicked_Glory said:
I honestly have never seen why people have such a hard on for the elder scrolls. Morrowind wasn't bad, but I thought Oblivion was a travesty, and Skyrim wasn't much better.

On a side note, I actually lol'd when they said they were committed to making the best MMO ever made. Yeah, keep dreaming, Bethesda.

Every masterpiece was once just a dream. Just saying, don't judge then until the product comes out. Then you can take out your pitchforks.
Apr 17, 2013 6:06 PM

Jan 2013
I knew that Elder Scrolls Online was coming because I have a GameInformer magazine I usually get and I was excited that they announced this I hope this game is good because I love the Elder Scrolls series and I really enjoyed playing Skryim. I heard that they will also release this for consoles as well as PC users.
Apr 17, 2013 7:24 PM

Mar 2013
Well even though this thread is pretty old, a lot of you should check it out, the recent couple of months they have released a TON of content on this game, including a lot of videos and info. Go re-check it out if you haven't since 8 months ago (from a lot of these posts), and then tell what you think.

Personally for me, I'm extremely excited, lots of people are too as well, and I'm ready for this MMO to destroy other mainstream MMOs out there. Can't wait, should be good...
Escape to the World of Anime is a great Facebook page. Different than the mainstream ones. Plus we are more of a community instead of a page that ignores its fans. Go check us out!

More topics from this board

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

138 by Kajiuran »»
14 minutes ago

» Is 8 gb vram enough these days?

Cnon - Mar 5

18 by tectacles »»
16 minutes ago

» What's your favorite video game that you've never actually beaten?

TheBlockernator - Apr 15, 2022

49 by His0kaDevv »»
54 minutes ago

» How to play Sports Video Games?

TheSunLife - Apr 3

10 by Jensenessy »»
8 hours ago

» What videogame consoles do you own?

SnipeStrike - Apr 17

29 by loligoth666 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.