Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 28, 2008 12:04 PM

Jun 2008
Kyon makes the series for me, for one thing because his sarcastic commentary never ceases to amuse me, and for another thing because he is the only person Haruhi cares about, thus saving her from being an absolutely self-centered, annoying being of pure selfishness that is willing to make and unmake whole universes just because she is bored. I don't like Haruhi, but the addition of Kyon makes her and the series tolerable.
"All I want in life is someone to put one of my quotes under their sig" -Perposterone
Jul 28, 2008 12:08 PM

Mar 2008
She is equivalent to a girl in real life that I like. Weird.
Jul 2, 2009 8:28 AM

Jun 2009
I think it's fair to say that haruhi have a certain charm that attract people.

She's annoying, she's a bitch, she's bossy, she's way too energetic etc

There are also moments where she shown to have a softer personality, her caring side during the island arc. And lastly, a certain shyness is shown after the concert.

There's a certain charm there. ^_^

I don't really know how to put it either.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 24, 2009 11:55 AM

Aug 2009
lol, maybe it's because of that headstrong personality and how she gets everyone into such crazy situations is why I luv this show? XD

it's kinda like... a slice of life with an actual plot... I luv it~!

Plus, Kyon and Yuki make it easier to watch ;)

Thanks to Shiro-chan for scripting! ♥
Aug 24, 2009 12:00 PM

May 2009
Haruhi and kyon are great characters, top that with the chaos of haruhi's mood swings and there effects. in my opinion it was a good show.
redojinAug 24, 2009 12:23 PM
Mar 17, 2010 6:30 PM

Jan 2010
I didn't really get it. Like what was it suppose to be about? And I couldn't have not liked it because of the lack of plot because I love Azumanga Daioh so I don't know. I loved the characters and it kinda took over my brain but there was no character development.

Virgil said:
To tell the truth, I fell asleep on a couple of episodes. It kept some interest, but it didn't really feel like this legendary anime everyone keeps talking about...

This. I had to actually switch to English halfway through so I could do something else and not have to read subs the whole time.

EDIT: Or is this because I watched it in chronological order?
sfjsiufdsijgfdjMar 20, 2010 8:12 PM
\
Mar 29, 2010 8:10 AM

Jun 2009
Because she's weird, energetic, NOT moe or tsundere (two attributes which automatically piss me off from most characters) and in the strangest of situations I find that she's a lot like me. No shit. And she's not the typical "you should identify with this character" type. I just love the genki type.

Also, Tsuruya.
Mar 29, 2010 8:16 AM

Mar 2010
shes interesting ha
Apr 3, 2010 11:31 AM

Feb 2010
i don't kno why ppl like this so much. its not really a slice of life cuz this involves aliens and time travelers. come on its not even that funny if u compare it to lucky star. its like the simpsons cuz it doesn't make u lol and its still successful. so this is the simpsons of anime in a way
Apr 11, 2010 5:16 PM

Jun 2009
checkdafool said:
i don't kno why ppl like this so much. its not really a slice of life cuz this involves aliens and time travelers. come on its not even that funny if u compare it to lucky star. its like the simpsons cuz it doesn't make u lol and its still successful. so this is the simpsons of anime in a way

Funny, how you say that Lucky Star is funnier than this yet it's a show that relies so badly on references to this show (and others) it barely has any humor of its own. LS would be the Simpsons of anime, not Haruhi.
Sep 5, 2010 12:10 PM

Aug 2010
oh god O.O haruhi is soooo anoying and soooo cheerful which chaaarms me soo much O.O , she is soo awesome O.O lol i am just a guy like kyon >,< but without haruhi the fun in life is gone T_T . even if she is soo anoying
Sep 7, 2010 2:30 AM

Aug 2010
tcsandrews said:
tthammy said:
oh god O.O haruhi is soooo anoying and soooo cheerful which chaaarms me soo much O.O , she is soo awesome O.O lol i am just a guy like kyon >,< but without haruhi the fun in life is gone T_T . even if she is soo anoying

You know you love her! Admit it, Kyon!

hmm what about ashina san xD she is also cute. but haruhi O.O she is too awesome
Sep 9, 2010 11:04 AM

Jul 2010
Heigen said:
I can't get it; Haruhi is annoying selfish bitch who bosses people around and the whole anime isn't that great. So why people like it so much?

Lol what the hell the anime isn't that great its high ranked because people like the story or voice actors? i don't get the point to hate any character in a anime ,but you can also say you dislike haruhi in the anime.
but nooooo.. you just go say bad things about her that doesn't make sense every person can be selfish and bossy in anime and in real life , take a look at your parents they are the same as haruhi bossy and selfish not? LOL

Iff you don't like it why watch episode 2 or even finish the anime ?
And maybe its high ranged because haruhi's voice actor has the most favs on MAL??
Now go hate the makers of the anime not the characters or voice actors.(There will be always people hating anime characters wich makes no dam sense)
Sep 13, 2010 7:21 AM

Aug 2010
haruhi is just waaay too awesome , O.O she is alike kanota O.O
Oct 29, 2010 11:31 PM
Oct 2010
QKunai said:
Heigen said:
I can't get it; Haruhi is annoying selfish bitch who bosses people around and the whole anime isn't that great. So why people like it so much?

Lol what the hell the anime isn't that great its high ranked because people like the story or voice actors? i don't get the point to hate any character in a anime ,but you can also say you dislike haruhi in the anime.
but nooooo.. you just go say bad things about her that doesn't make sense every person can be selfish and bossy in anime and in real life , take a look at your parents they are the same as haruhi bossy and selfish not? LOL

who ever write this does'nt even watch the show,they are just a trolls that need people's attention.

anyways to those people who doesn't know why there's many yuki fan,read the light novel to find out ;)tsk tsk
Oct 29, 2010 11:33 PM

Mar 2009
Although she can be annoying at times, I like her confidence and the fact that she knows what she wants and will do whatever it takes to get it.
Nov 12, 2010 6:01 PM
Jul 2018
just finished the first season

watched it in chronological order, and dont see what was so special about it....haruhi's a decent character, only b/c i like dem tsundere types, but otherwise was just an average anime overall...

not deep, not engaging enough. i didnt feel immersed in the episodes as much as say...clannad AS or the EF's

8/10
Feb 4, 2011 3:05 AM
Feb 2011
I LOVE HARUHI because her main reason to live is to do what she wants and have fun, and this is what makes her interesting. It's what makes the SHOW interesting. If she wasn't like this, nothing interesting would ever happen. Yes, she can be a little selfish, but she genuinely isn't trying to hurt anyone. Her and Yuki are my favourite characters, although I love them all in different ways. Out of anything 'irritating' in the show as most people find Haruhi, I find Kyon's pervertedness the most annoying.

It's my favourite show in the world. It has an awesome plot, it makes me laugh so, so much and the characters are all original and interesting.

KEY WORD ORIGINAL. I'm sick of watching boring animes with girls who are complete pushovers and whiny. Haruhi is the opposite of that. She gets what she wants because she goes after it.

She's smart, she's adventurous, she has quirky interests and she has a philosophy of life I wish I could follow. Having fun. All the time.

And she's cute when she's embarrassed and jealous and I get the feeling that she maybe acts out like this because she wants to be different, be noticed in the world, because remember when she was little in that stand and she realises she was just one out of the many billions of people in the world? Yeah.

She does the things she does to make life more interesting,and it is.

I like Haruhi. Period.

EDIT: Oh and I like Yuki because she's...Yuki. I like her one word answers. I like how she looks after everyone. I like how unintentionally funny she is sometimes. I like how she beat those computer geeks. I like how she played that little joke one time.

She's just...Yuki.

And Kyon's commentary is for the most part awesome.
AmmiellaFeb 4, 2011 3:53 AM
Apr 11, 2011 6:36 PM

Sep 2010
The relationship between kyon and haruhi is probably what makes the series. Many say there isnt romance between them but they are wrong, it is very subtle yet obvious at the same time when you think about it because the plot of the series to sum it up is a teenage demi god learning to fall in love and deal with her emotions.

And she isnt a tsundere like most people say just because of her bossy attitude...thats not tsundere. She never denies her feelings for kyon OR pull away when he touches her or holds her hand...if anything, kyon is more of a tsundere then she is never openly admitting he has feelings for her.
Jun 1, 2011 4:47 PM

Mar 2009
Never finished the show; one of the least likable characters I've ever seen.

And it's not the kind of setup where the character is supposed to be disliked, where people acknowledge she's bad, so she can develop as a character from that point. It's a series where fans seem to prefer her as an immoral brat, and characters on the show either don't do anything about it, or can't. Because someone thought it'd be brilliant to write her as omnipotent. This way, she can get away with doing anything, never having to deal with any realistic consequences, or character development. If there's any romance between her and the main guy, I'd consider it Stockholm Syndrome.
Not to mention 80% of her comic relief entails sexual harassment, which I doubt fans would condone if Haruhi wasn't good looking. >>
May 1, 2014 7:33 AM

Jun 2013
To be honest, she's what I actually don't like in the series. xD I watched it mostly for Yuki.
Paws paws paws paws paws paws paws
Neko Neko Paws
Paws is what I like
I'm a paws obsessed person, I could look at kitties' paws all my lifetime.
May 19, 2014 11:16 AM
Aug 2013
chibuki said:
Haruhi is kawaii, pretty, beautiful, or however you want to interpret it. Attitude is definitely a no-no, but she's hardly retartded as far as her character. Her act are always unreasonable yet hilarious. That's why I love Haruhi.
May 22, 2014 4:43 PM
Nov 2013
My number one reason:
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.
May 23, 2014 4:26 PM

Sep 2013
Wouldn't be able to find a single bad thing to say about Haruhi or the show.
Oct 7, 2014 4:29 PM

Sep 2014
Haruhi's an obnoxious kid. The only reason anyone spends any time with her is because they have to. I get so infuriated when Kyon doesn't tell her to shut the fuck up and stop treating everyone like dirt.
Oct 7, 2014 4:31 PM

Dec 2013
Lusbox said:
Wouldn't be able to find a single bad thing to say about Haruhi or the show.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Oct 9, 2014 10:54 PM

Sep 2014
I really loved the series. For no particular reason. Haruhi is a cool character and I liked her a lot, truth be said I kind of wished for some more romance, the single kiss between of Kyon and Haruhi and pretty much nothing other than that left me a bit unsatisfied, but I guess it's not this type of anime. It was cool nevertheless, I didn't even really hate the whole endless eight arc, the show was great. One of my favourites that's for sure. I have just finished the series few days ago and I'm planning to rewatch them one day, this time in the broadcast order though.
Oct 9, 2014 11:11 PM

Jan 2014
I don't. She sucks and is boring as heck.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 14, 2014 8:33 PM
Apr 2014
hounddog said:
Legion17 said:
No one in general ever mentions this show as being mentionably funny. They always mention the characters or the ingenuity and I think thats what truly draws people to the show.

Uh...I think it's funny. :)

Yup, I think it's very funny too. Mainily due to the narration of the VA, the guy who does the voice for Gintama as well. He's just great as his job.
Aug 1, 2015 4:12 PM
Jul 2015
It is my belief that people, and heterosexual men, in particular, like Haruhi Suzumiya because she is spontaneous, happy, determined, and optimistic, and because she is clever, and creative, and because she has a certain ruthlessness, that borders on amorality, and because she is mischievous, and abnormal, and because she gets jealous, or angry, if someone she likes becomes too familiar with the opposite sex. She does not let people see her vulnerable side, and she becomes irritated, if someone is weak, or vulnerable. She's ambitious, she doesn't drink alcohol, or smoke, and she hates the very thought of losing. She's confident, and, best of all, she doesn't talk much, if she's upset. In short, she's a caricature. She completely lacks personality, or depth, etc., and, due to how society has raised them, most men seem to think that members of the opposite sex aren't people, and that the opposite sex don't have problems, which they have to deal with, as people, and that they don't have personal dilemmas, or that they're there to indirectly please men.

On a side note, I'm not sure if the author was writing about a wet dream of his, or whether he was a mastermind, that profited off of the naïve opinions that men have of the opposite sex.

edit. I've forgotten to mention that Haruhi is, also, pretty. I doubt that she would have such a grip on the wallets of her fans, if she was unattractive.
PapaverineAug 1, 2015 4:18 PM
Aug 23, 2015 11:57 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
On episode 5 and I don't like her so far. All the supernatural people treat her like a god, but all I see is a bizarre person.
Sep 17, 2015 10:22 AM

Apr 2015
Kyon's narration..😂😂😂
Oct 28, 2016 9:07 AM

Jan 2015
Heigen said:

ps. The dance is okay though =)

edit. and yes, I have watched it all

I love the anime really much, because of the characters, plot, environment etc. :3

My favorite characters is Nagato and Kyon :3

Haruhi often do some over the edge things which can make people dislike her but she is just being Haruhi, she has also a cute tender side and cares for her SOS members ;3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Jan 5, 2017 1:12 PM
Mar 2016
Imho Haruhi is a really cool character because of here innocence, she thinks that the whole word turns around her beauty and smart when the fact is that the World turns around her ideas.
May 20, 2018 6:18 AM
Jun 2016
Heigen said:
Why do YOU like Haruhi?
- Endless Eight
- Crispin Freeman

That is all.
May 20, 2018 7:37 AM

Dec 2015
The character? I could never like her (as a character, because as a person, she would just able to inspire hateful reactions).

The series? Because, unlike most comedies with teens, her behaviour is constantly addressed as anormal and the way she handles peoples is also seen as bad. Even if in the end, the story forces the heroes to do as she wants.
Also, it's funny for someone who likes time travel, ESPers and parallel dimensions.
Oct 16, 2018 7:29 AM
Oct 2018
This discussion is useless.
People who like haruhi cannot give a single fuking reason on Why they like her and those who hate have milloons of reasons.
Haruhi is a bitch and everyone knows that.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.