MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Billionaire space mining staring James cameron
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Current Events »» Billionaire space mining staring James cameron

05-02-12, 7:00 AM

So, perhaps most of you already know this news is pretty old already, but it's something that is relevant to my interested and the stuff of Science fiction made reality.

I was reading another thread and I saw this post, I was going to reply to them there and I thought, now wait this deserving a topic of it's own.

Baman said:
bannie said:
Japan's building a space elevator.
Wait, seriously? Sauce on that?
Sure, we have the plans and technology already, but the problem is that it won't be economically feasible until we start pushing the frontier out there. And to get that to happen we need a reason, first and foremost being either space industrialisation or colonisation, but there's really no pressing need right now for either.
Though it would certainly make it easier to maintain orbital control for whoever owns it, whether that's just spy satellites or some nasty remote controlled, pinpoint accuracy swords of Damocles.

Now, we already know they are already making leaps and bounds with regard to mass producing Carbon nanotubes and the tech to be able to make a space elevator.

And in response to Baman on the idea we need a reason, the space mining operation presents that reason with clarity.

The earth is running out of resources. Our helium reserves will last only another 25 years at best, and will run out at about the same time as the oil. Leaving the earth crippled in it's ability to produce technology and run it's infrastructure.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2010/08/25/nobel-prize-winner-warns-world-were-running-out-of-helium/

But, apart from investing in alternate energy supplies, these pioneers intend on mining asteroid for precious metals, and helium which these kinds of space bodies soak up like sponges because of their lack of atmosphere. Space is the Final frontier, we've all heard it before on star trek, and They predict this will be the next real Gold rush and they will have sole access to it all.

http://www.space.com/15419-asteroid-mining-billionaires-private-spaceflight.html

Heres a link to the.

So it really is in Japans interest to make a space elevator, because it's going to be the only viable way to really get an actual operation working at a reasonable cost to the company's involved.

And for your amusement a cracked article on things the earth is running out of

http://www.cracked.com/article_19048_6-important-things-you-didnt-know-were-running-out-of.html

05-02-12, 7:46 AM

Considering every Google search for "Japan space elevator" redirects to a single construction company saying they could build one in 38 years (which is over a decade after your "we're all dead" date), it looks dubious. Not saying it's not possible for them to build it, but if they had claimed they would develop a hyperdrive by 2050, it would be an equally valid statement.

Plus, if anyone were building a space elevator, it would be China, not Japan.

05-02-12, 7:58 AM

The technology for the creation of one is around, it's just about putting all the pieces together. Remember R&D projects are always about 20 years ahead of what they publish nationally on a public scale.

That's why Planetary resources inc was founded. They need to give validity to the need to a space elevator, rather than just saying we should build one because we can, but building one because we should.

And such a project would most likely be funded by all country's, it just depends who will win the right to have it in their country.

I don't think people want to let China have access to such a thing, not just politically but economically and for tourist reasons Japan would be a much better site to build it.

building a space elevator will take the co-operation of ALL countries, one couldn't do it on it's own, not even China, the only way is a joint venture.

Planetary resources inc removes the politics of the situation and just put the focus of the logistics and finances of how such a project can and will be done.

I mean They want to build a moon base to mine the asteroids, and so much more on top of that. This whole thing is a Gigantic undertaking, which yes we most likely wont see in our life, but so what. This is about the future, not just a techno junkies wet dream, but and actually need for the future of mankind to live on and prosper, or die.

They plan for a 2023(I think) Event, which is some way away as it is. it may take 100 years for it to work, to build an ACTUAL Moon Mining base, collect asteroids and a space elevator. But This is something that the human race needs to do or it will just dwindle until this earth can no longer support the species.

05-02-12, 8:20 AM

Still, would probably be better to build it out at sea, so if a disaster occurs, the sections that falls off from the geosynchronous space station could be purged into smaller parts and dumped into the sea rather than smashing a city or something. Sure, you'd get some waves out of it, but that's a disaster for you.

Anyways, it's all really a matter of urgency I think. Sure, we know we will have to go there eventually, but considering the huge amounts of money and resources we're talking about here, I bet the fat cats wouldn't want to do anything until the last minute.

Plus even if we make one, we'll still have to organize everything up there, making mining bases in the rim, like holing out Ceres, supply depots for the caravans along the path and bases on any moons or planetoids fit for exploitation. Meaning the elevator will cost a huge fucking lot and still only be a small step towards actual profit.

The easier option is probably to make a decent base on the moon, some shipyard facilities at one of the L points and then scout extensively to find out where all the goodies are most easily obtainable. And then, when concise plans are popping up, build the elevator post haste in anticipation of the phat loot we'll be getting from the space miners.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

05-02-12, 8:25 AM

Baman said:
I bet the fat cats wouldn't want to do anything until the last minute.

They have to start the wheels now to be ready for zero Oil in about 2050, They need to start building now, or risk not having enough material to do it later. Now is the time so the saying goes.

Baman said:

The easier option is probably to make a decent base on the moon, some shipyard facilities at one of the L points and then scout extensively to find out where all the goodies are most easily obtainable. .

You basically just quoted almost verbatim their actual list of priorities as a company.

The space elevator must be built, but it's not on the priority list of things to do. It's just on the list of things that MUST be done.

05-02-12, 9:42 AM

Too bad wars and holywood are more important

05-02-12, 9:52 AM

SergioSource said:
Too bad wars and holywood are more important

No, they are not. And if they are to fund these past time favourite things to do, we need material, we need oil, we need helium, we need STUFF. And to get that stuff that means going to space.

So it's either space, or no more wars or hollywood films.

So space it is.

05-02-12, 9:59 AM

Alpha-kudasu said:
They have to start the wheels now to be ready for zero Oil in about 2050, They need to start building now, or risk not having enough material to do it later. Now is the time so the saying goes.
That's assuming the people in power are all logical about it. But when huge sums of money and uncertain profits are involved, we can't count on them to be.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

05-02-12, 10:03 AM

Baman said:
Alpha-kudasu said:
That's assuming the people in power are all logical about it. But when huge sums of money and uncertain profits are involved, we can't count on them to be.

That's why planetary resource inc was formed, they don't need government permission to do it it's a business model, they are doing, just like Branson and his gimmick space flights.

The only things they need is Military approval, which is the only thing that could be a factor holding them up and even then they only need the air force to approve flight paths etc, And it would be in the Militarys interest to do it as well.

These are billionaires, they have private underground empires and mountains on unknown islands that belong to just them.

They are going to aim for an 18 month trial release of all technology. They are all systems go.

The only other thing that might stop them is the monopoly and trade commission's, and what small business would be losing out exactly? This is not something everyone can do.
Modified by sixyears, 05-02-12, 10:07 AM

05-02-12, 11:17 AM

Time for me to store some helium so they can synthesize it in the future.

I am the hero earth deserves ;_;
運命の子たち・果実

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices