MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Jormungand Episode 4 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Jormungand »» Jormungand Episode 4 Discussion

Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
View Poll Results: Jormungand Episode 4 Discussion
5 out of 5: Loved it!

114 68.67%
4 out of 5: Liked it

35 21.08%
3 out of 5: It was OK

9 5.42%
2 out of 5: Disliked it

7 4.22%
1 out of 5: Hated it

1 0.60%
Voters: 166

05-03-12, 7:51 AM

I had high hopes for this one but the more I see the more I'm disappointed. Visuals and the some action scenes are good but I think the rest very ordinary.

Very disappointed with the orchestra arch, Characters have too few development. For example that "artist" from orchestra ( chinatsu's mentor ) is just a wannabe artist. Art is about sophistication and there was little sophistication in his love for gun noise.

I also didn't like that little flashback we had about chinatsu's past. Usually that technique is used to make us feel empathy for the villain that is about to die, making feel us some empathy for him and making his death more tragic. It's usually supposed to show us that the villain is also a human being but in this one we just see that Chinatsu is a psycho and I got no empathy for psychos.

I think the whole no panties stuff is also a bid absurd. Provocative with no reason..

This show might look good on the surface but if you go deeper I think it's missing something.

05-03-12, 9:27 AM

I don't have much to say since I've read it already so all my hype had gone to the chapters.
HOWEVER!
Yeeeess~!!!!! Chequi next week! Woo!! But it's about Jonah's past. Don't feel like watching it. Already read it. Oh well. Will watch.

Gimmeh moar animated Valmet. Can't wait for her arc. END OF SEASON Y U NO HERE YET?!

05-03-12, 10:04 AM

I feel like this makes less sense each episode. Chinatsu was obviously so shocked by the death of her master, that she immediately chased down Koko... to chat with her?? That made no sense if you ask me. She got over it way too fast considering she was willing to chat with her like that. Much more realistic reaction would be going on a rampage ignoring the sniper. And WTF about that CIA agent showing off?? I can see MANY criminals that would want his head if he appeared in media or official papers. Even saying his nickname? And how the hell it is possible that he can't keep his cool and rages because of something that is "normal"? Seriously, what powerful arm dealers don't have contacts in police or government! That felt very stupid for a CIA agent.

Also, Koko lost some points from me in this ep. The Chinatsu hug was plain weird, she would have been much cooler to just let her fall and wtf was that thing about mortality of children? Moral lessons in anime like this? Not about something that every sane person realises and from a character that was supposed to be cool? That seriously let me down. Sorry, I don't find arms dealers complaining about mortality of whoever awesome, quite the contrary.

Aside from that, very nice episode. I liked how Chinatsu viewed Koko (medusa like) and I wodner what she told her.
Modified by HikaruIzumi, 05-03-12, 2:28 PM
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.
-Captain Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

05-03-12, 12:29 PM

HikaruIzumi said:

Also, Koko lost some points from me in this ep. The Chinatsu hug was plain weird, she would have been much cooler to just let her fall and wtf was that thing about mortality of children? Moral lessons in anime like this? Not about something that every sane person realises and from a character that was supposed to be cool? That seriously let me down. Sorry, I don't find arms dealers complaining about mortality of whoever awesome, quite the contrary.

That is another point, morality seems to be twisted in the name of awesomeness or "cool factor". Koko is using, exploiting and indoctrinating a child soldier, Jonah.

05-03-12, 5:19 PM

I think this one was a little slow for me, the only awesomeness was the backflip. I know this is an anime discussion but I just want to say wow the episodes are moving fast through the volumes of the manga. I just saw one myanimelist it is going to have a second season??? That is good cause i'm sure the anime is gonna air faster than viz puts out the rest of the volumes of the manga, and I am dying to know about Koko and her past.

05-03-12, 5:29 PM

33orion77 said:
I had high hopes for this one but the more I see the more I'm disappointed. Visuals and the some action scenes are good but I think the rest very ordinary.

Very disappointed with the orchestra arch, Characters have too few development. For example that "artist" from orchestra ( chinatsu's mentor ) is just a wannabe artist. Art is about sophistication and there was little sophistication in his love for gun noise.

I also didn't like that little flashback we had about chinatsu's past. Usually that technique is used to make us feel empathy for the villain that is about to die, making feel us some empathy for him and making his death more tragic. It's usually supposed to show us that the villain is also a human being but in this one we just see that Chinatsu is a psycho and I got no empathy for psychos.

I think the whole no panties stuff is also a bid absurd. Provocative with no reason..

This show might look good on the surface but if you go deeper I think it's missing something.
Umm No. Art is not about sophiscation. If anything, the only factual thing about art about is that it is an expression of one self.

Flashbacks aren't always there to provoke empathy. Many people wondered how they got together. The flashback showed that.

They also gave a reason why she wears no panties. But lemme guess, I'm going to assume it's just not good enough for your standards.

Basically, you're upset because the anime is doing things that conflict with your outlook on things. Everything made perfect sense to me. And lol at you saying the action being good. The action is the worse part about this show. It basically pushes your suspension of disbelief to the max in a anime that is so heavily rooted in realism.

HikaruIzumi said:
I feel like this makes less sense each episode. Chinatsu was obviously so shocked by the death of her master, that she immediately chased down Koko... to chat with her?? That made no sense if you ask me. She got over it way too fast considering she was willing to chat with her like that. Much more realistic reaction would be going on a rampage ignoring the sniper. And WTF about that CIA agent showing off?? I can see MANY criminals that would want his head if he appeared in media or official papers. Even saying his nickname? And how the hell it is possible that he can't keep his cool and rages because of something that is "normal"? Seriously, what powerful arm dealers don't have contacts in police or government! That felt very stupid for a CIA agent.

Aside from that, very nice episode. I liked how Chinatsu viewed Koko (medusa like) and I wodner what she told her.
Do you speak Japanese? Or did you not see the subs? She went there with the intent of killing.

And sorry, contrary to what anime wants you to believe, not everyone goes into a blind rage over deaths. Some people actually choose to think. She's been portrayed thus far as the "brains" of orchestra so for her to fly into a blind rage would be out of character.

It can also be understood that Chinatsu went there to die. She said she performs better when she isn't wearing any panties. She showed up with her panties on so she knew she wasn't going to be at her very best if she really wanted to kill Koko. She probably wanted to be seen as somewhat "decent" before her death and didn't feel like her life was worth living now that her master is gone. Her predicament is very similar to that of Jonah.

And what does Jonah's have to do with Koko's morality talk? Its completely different than what Koko was going on about. The children Koko were talking about are trained to kill by force. They are taken from their parents, specifically the boys, and forced to learn how to operate weapons. Jonahs back story is a bit unclear but it appears he learned to use a weapon to defend himself, but more importantly he is working for Koko by choice.

His parents are dead and he doesn't really have anything else other than his hatred for weapons. Jonahs is going to kill those with weapons regardless of whether he's with Koko or not. If I was Koko I would have brought him along as well.

For all this talk about this show not being deep, maybe you aren't thinking deep enough or maybe lacking the background to understand why the intellectual discussion are so on the mark. It doesn't surprise me that there is rarely any discussion about the intellectual side of Jormungand. It flies over the head of most of the show's target audience.

Edit: Oh, and about the CIA thing, he was mad because you don't expect double dealing. When an agent goes somewhere, it assume that they're going to have the full cooperation of who's ever in charge there. You can't just show up somewhere and demand information just because you're CIA. So again, the CIA obviously has ties with them so him expecting them to cooperate with the "good guys" over a wanted arms dealer isn't farfetch'd.
Modified by ViciousOne, 05-03-12, 5:54 PM

05-03-12, 6:52 PM

Although Chinatsu was an interesting character, I didn't really care that she died, but I at some point I actually thought she might join them.

I seriously love Koko and Jonah interactions.

Next episode we see Jonah crying..hoping its a good episode. This child has more emotions than I thought he did, which is not bad at all.

Like everyone else, I want to know what Koko told her, if it wasn't said out loud, then it may be, because we haven't really heard her real reason.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

05-03-12, 8:43 PM

ViciousOne said:

Umm No. Art is not about sophiscation. If anything, the only factual thing about art about is that it is an expression of one self.

Flashbacks aren't always there to provoke empathy. Many people wondered how they got together. The flashback showed that.

You are right when you say that art is an expression of one self but it is expressed through a certain medium (painting, sculpture etc... ) I think that sophistication is what is making difference between a children's drawing and a painting of Picasso. When you are talking about the art of wine-making or the art of war, it's all about sophistication otherwise you can just fart and call it art.

The flashback are there so you can learn more about a character so that you can recognize and share feelings that are being experienced by that character and that is very close to the definition of empathy. You say that some people were wondering about her past, I wonder much more about how Koko got her crew and about Koko's past than some villain that appear in the show for 2 ep.

BTW I said some action scene are good not all of them. I agree with you about the overall action but I think some scene were nice.
ViciousOne said:

Basically, you're upset because the anime is doing things that conflict with your outlook on things

You might be right about that but up to now I just see an anime that make the apology of violence as there is no moral conflict. Well the only one that has some moral issue is Jonah but all we get is that Jonah is wrong to have those conflicts. When I see that I can't help but to think about groups like Blackwater that thinks they are above the law. Maybe you think that this is a good thing but I can't and reading your comments one can wonder if you have some ethical sense.
ViciousOne said:

If I was Koko I would have brought him along as well.

I would have put him in a foster family so that he can experience what normal children are supposed to experience like going to school and play baseball instead of killing people. Koko is just using him, nothing more nothing less. If they teach him math it's because it's useful for the job.
ViciousOne said:

For all this talk about this show not being deep, maybe you aren't thinking deep enough or maybe lacking the background to understand why the intellectual discussion are so on the mark. It doesn't surprise me that there is rarely any discussion about the intellectual side of Jormungand. It flies over the head of most of the show's target audience.

Then please enlighten us with your intellect and show us the intellectual side of Jormungand. Saying things like we are too dumb to understand doesn't prove anything

05-03-12, 10:55 PM

The soundtrack is just amazing.

05-04-12, 2:10 AM

Nice episode, the shark teeth guy died, I was happy with that.
I expected the crazy one to join Koko's army, unfortunately didn't happen.
The American guy thinks he's cool, he'll probably be the next enemy.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.

05-04-12, 3:49 AM

^
haha he is a CIA, i don't think he will be a bad guy, but he will be a "comic relief" throughout the episode.
but I do agree that he look like a bad guy lol.
33orion77 said:
ViciousOne said:

Then please enlighten us with your intellect and show us the intellectual side of Jormungand. Saying things like we are too dumb to understand doesn't prove anything

there is a part that really astound me during the show.
For example the part that Nelson immediately ask Lutz to snipe the weapon when Lutz is to chicken to kill Chinatsu. His fast decision could had save his teammate.
Lehm also did ask them to retreat since he knows that Lutz won't be able to kill Chinatsu. I am impress at Lehm for understanding the squad's thought and emotion because small mistake can cost human live .
I know this small matter may not be big deal for you guys, but it is enough for me to say "wow they are pro ". Well, Each audience have their own way to think how a show is epically presented =P

05-04-12, 6:26 AM

Jormungand is like a Michael Bay anime. I don't even know what possesses me to keep on watching it every week.

05-04-12, 9:44 PM

That was impressive. Wasn't too into the whole gun fight theme for this series personally, never have been into that kind of action, but the drama aspect was good. I still like the action too, that's saying something considering I have never been into shooting, but I don't love it quite yet so this is a good way to offset things and keep my interest.

05-05-12, 7:56 AM

Watching the last sniping scene again, I noticed that there were four bangs. The producers may have intended like this: two bangs were for flipping the handgun and penetration of Chinatsu's body and the rest two bangs were gunfire with a delay. If Jonah hit her handgun, she should have heard only three bangs.

It seems Lehm (the sniper) used M24 SWS from the looking of the rifle.
http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/Firearms/Sniper%20Rifles/M24.aspx

Although I thought rifles have low rate of fire in general, following site says it has rate of fire of 20 rpm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M24_Sniper_Weapon_System
This means you need only(!?) 3 seconds for the next shot. (Really? Anyway I think it is impossible to snipe a target in such a rate with bolt-action.)

Well then, why he needed two shots? The possible explanation is he intended to neutralize enemy weapon first to reduce the risk and finish comes next. But if I were he who has such a skill, I would shoot her head: one shot one kill.

And I prefer the first twisted idea:

05-05-12, 2:29 PM

R.I.P Chinatsu ;_;

05-05-12, 10:18 PM

When Koko caught a glimpse of Chinatsu's cooch she seemed mesmerized by it lol. Also sad she was killed. she would have been a perfect addition to Koko's harem team. The way her master died took me by surprise. He seemed like the type of S.O.B who has a million lives, so for him to be taken out so swiftly was very unexpected.

05-06-12, 9:42 PM

Love the suspense and action so far!

05-07-12, 12:49 AM

Darn, just when I find another lovable crazy chick she gets killed off. The episode was executed well, loved every moment of it 5/5.

05-07-12, 11:10 AM

Loved it.
xxx

05-07-12, 7:23 PM

Best episode so far. Too bad Chinatsu will killed off.

Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices