MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

What Did You Think Of Anime Before You Got Into It... ?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» What Did You Think Of Anime Before You Got Into It... ?

Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
04-29-12, 11:15 PM

*this topic might be floating around somewhere... forum needs a search function >.>*

- What Did You Think Of Anime *As A Genre* Before You Got Into It?

For Me, I Thought It Was Sick, Perverted, A Sign Of Weakness And "Low-Life-Ism", Super-Duper Cheesy, And Only For Super-Nerds... There Were Exceptions Though, I Had Always Liked Movies Like Princess Mononoke Or Kiki's Delivery Service. The Above Is What I Thought Of The Hard-Core Anime Nerds... *I Also Told Myself That I Would Never Ever Become An Anime Nerd* ... Of Course I DID Become An Anime Nerd =/ And See That I've Been Very Naive About The Whole Thing... *Though I Guess I Wasn't Completely Wrong :P It Can Be Very Pervy Sometimes* ...

-Yeah, I Know I Was Alittle Harsh T'wards It, But For Some Reason It Was A Large Point I Made That I Only Liked "Very Realistic" Things... Also I Have A Childhood Friend Who Is An Anime Nerd And I Might Not Have Liked It Because He Did... "Friendly Childhood Rivalry" Sort Of Thing...

04-29-12, 11:18 PM

I thought I would enjoy it, but I just didn't know where to start, and I was more into video games. It wasn't until 2011 I decided to get started on one, and the rest is history!

04-29-12, 11:30 PM

I thought it was just cartoons with very cute/hot character designs.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character thats for sure!"

04-29-12, 11:33 PM

Nothing. I had no idea what it was, until i watched Death Note because some dude said it was a good show.

04-29-12, 11:35 PM

Nothing

04-29-12, 11:51 PM

I didn't know what anime was.

04-29-12, 11:51 PM

I watched Yu Yu Hakusho and Pokemon alongside Ed, Edd, and Eddy and Johnny Bravo. At the time, they all seemed the same to me. Didn't even know the word anime until I was in high school.

04-29-12, 11:54 PM

I thought they would be childish and boring.

I started cause i couldn't find any decent TV series to watch and because there's less than 5 movies / year worth watching. So i was really bored and thought "what the heck lets give it a try" and right now i'm really happy that i did :)

04-30-12, 12:10 AM

Found out what it was only after I'd watched a lot of Pokemon, Digimon, and Dragon Ball Z on the cartoon channel. Then I sought out others and became an anime fan. I didn't have an opinion because I didn't know it existed.

04-30-12, 12:12 AM

Can't remember exactly what I thought of anime, but I know I didn't like whole "manga style". I thought it was unnecessary because you were just copying an already existing style, thus being unoriginal. Or something.

That had more to do with drawing manga, though.

...Heh, how fun it is to look back to after a 180° turn :P

04-30-12, 12:13 AM

I'd always loved it, weather I knew it or not.
Growing up without cable TV, I had to rely on VHS tapes. Strangely enough, my video rental had a lot of children's anime. I had no idea it was anime, but I always loved this "certain design".

The ones I remember most were anime adaptations of Tom Sawyer and Thumbelina. I also remember owning one named The Little Bits and Macron 1 (Goshogun)
I don't think I caught on until I was collecting Yu Yu Hakusho tapes that I realized they always had "funny" names.

04-30-12, 12:14 AM

I wasn't particularly aware of it.

04-30-12, 12:31 AM

Honestly speaking, anime had been growing up with me. Watched it since I was 4 or 5. It had been a part of me for the longest time I can ever remember.

If I am to precisely state my perception towards it, there's only one word I can use to describe them - "different".

04-30-12, 12:34 AM

I didn't even know it is anime when I was very young. I only have the knowledge that all the animated things I am watching are cartoons. But I discovered some of them are anime. I always think they are cool

04-30-12, 12:57 AM

I watched Pokemon, DBZ, Digimon and all that growing up so watching it was just natural for me. As I grew up I just moved away from shounen and started watching other anime. Judging an entire medium without even looking into it is silly. It's like saying "I heard Justin Bieber and thought it was horrible, so music must be horrible." Or "I read Twilight and hated it, so books must be horrible." I could go on but I'll stop before I make people mad. >.> The point is, 90% of the time there's going to be something out there for you within each medium, if not several things. The trick is just in knowing where to look.

04-30-12, 1:11 AM

Chinese cartoons, my opinion hasn't changed :3
Can you kill it?
I believe something can.
A monster?
No, a God...

04-30-12, 1:17 AM

I had no particular preconception of what anime was, I think I uncounsciously thought it was just another entertainment medium, which it is...
Motorhead fan? Join: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=40023

Credit to Devilman01

04-30-12, 1:48 AM

Since really small, I had access to anime, with Cantonese dub(don't live in China BTW, and anime in HK never had their openings remade as far as I can tell). The thing is that everything that seemed to me which had the better and more complex plot at the time(most of it still do) had Japanese song openings or endings instead of a generic BGM before a cartoon.
So to me Japanese animation were always superior in comparison, technically I shouldn't actually comment on this topic as there was never a part of my life "before" anime.
The funny realisation about it is that the best cartoons tend to have a better soundtrack, like how old Woody Woodpecker cartoons are much more interesting than most children's cartoons today and have great tunes at the same time.

04-30-12, 1:57 AM

my earliest memories involve lots of mega man and ps1 rpgs, then there was dbz...
ive been exposed to this style way before i even knew it was called anime and iv always loved it, RL, to me is merely a secondary reality compared to anime

04-30-12, 2:00 AM

I was neutral towards anime. Watched Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Naruto, but not much else. I just thought of them as just another form of cartoon, nothing more.

Wasn't until 2009 when i watched Chobits that i got serious about anime.

Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices