Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Space Brothers
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 29, 2012 4:44 PM

Feb 2012
This episode was a great representation of how I feel about this series. I like it, I don't know why I like it or why I even care about the next episode, but I'm pretty excited for the next episode. Each week, I kinda wait a bit after I download this to watch it, unlike my other shows where I'll usually watch immediately after I download, because I'm thinking, "meh, I won't like this". And then I watch it and I'm enjoying it. I don't even know. This was a good episode, but I'm waiting for Mutta to get back so he can go be an astronaut with the girl (forgot her damned name) and bring in some romance. As was stated previously, I don't think he'll get cut, I mean, it's Space Brothers, not Space Brother.

"In both love and octopus-hunting, you have to take the initiative!" - Gintoki Sakata
Apr 29, 2012 6:04 PM

Feb 2012
Another great ep.

Cute pup also!

njd09 said:
This episode was a great representation of how I feel about this series. I like it, I don't know why I like it or why I even care about the next episode, but I'm pretty excited for the next episode. Each week, I kinda wait a bit after I download this to watch it, unlike my other shows where I'll usually watch immediately after I download, because I'm thinking, "meh, I won't like this". And then I watch it and I'm enjoying it. I don't even know. This was a good episode, but I'm waiting for Mutta to get back so he can go be an astronaut with the girl (forgot her damned name) and bring in some romance. As was stated previously, I don't think he'll get cut, I mean, it's Space Brothers, not Space Brother.
I do that too with some shows.

And yea there's no way he'll be cut. It's just there to add tension to the plot. He'll be accepted one way or another.
Apr 29, 2012 8:12 PM

Apr 2011
That was a nice ep. Didn't like it as much as some of the earlier episodes but it was still nice and I can see where it's going.

I'm pretty sure Mutta read through most or the entire training manual while Hibito was out. I don't think Mutta would've wasted an entire day just being stubborn/lazy.

I also think the episode was also hinting that Mutta has that something Hibito doesn't. Hibito "has a screw loose", is missing that something, which is apparently his attention to detail.

Mutta has that attention to fine detail. It clearly showed it this episode and also that one time during the interview where he noticed the loose screw in the chair and tried screwing it in the entire episode. Pretty sure his attention to fine detail will ensure him to pass the exams and eventually become an astronaut, I mean that's a really good trait to have.

Cliffhanger was all like hinting that Mutta is going to be cut, but watch like RIGHT at the start of the next episode, an instructor is going to be like WAIT I LIKE HIM. XD

Anyways 4/5. My two cents. :)
Apr 29, 2012 8:25 PM

Feb 2010
That was awesomeeee.

Love this show.

Love Apo.

Love Hibito's abs.

Love Mutta's facials<3
Apr 29, 2012 9:40 PM

May 2011
Apo's adorable! <3

Oh, no, I hope he doesn't get cut, not from a shitty recommendation. That boss had it coming anyway. >.<

Maaaan, Hibito's toned! =^^=

I really love Mutta and Hibito's relationship. They're always raggin on each other about this and that. They're both cocky in their own way, but the best part is their competition. Can't wait to see them both at the space center tomorrow with all the hands-on training. ^^=
Apr 30, 2012 1:06 AM

Sep 2010
Aw deep inside the brother's love each other >~<
Overall episode was cute.

Sad ending... Hoping that everything will turn around~
Apr 30, 2012 2:38 AM

Jan 2011
Artego32rus said:
stop fucking discussing anime when there is no raws and subs

Lol subs were out by then.
Apr 30, 2012 7:31 AM

May 2010
Amazing episode as usual. Their brotherly bond is just great.

Also, DAT APO!!!!!
Apr 30, 2012 10:56 AM

Jan 2008
LOL at the chasing scene with APO. :)))

Great story! Exceeds my expectations every week. :)
Apr 30, 2012 4:58 PM

Sep 2011
Haha all the mistakes Hibito made in english ... samuraiing XD. Overall It was a good episode but is going too slow for me.
Apr 30, 2012 8:08 PM

May 2008
Well that was great . I can understand how Mutta feels slightly because i am a brother like him . Hehe finially can go to see the Johnson next huh cant wait . :D

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 1, 2012 12:23 AM
Aug 2011
Liked this episode, especially a race between Mutta and Apo in the park... LOL
May 1, 2012 4:31 AM

Aug 2007
I love how Mutta is a grammar nazi! <3
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
May 2, 2012 12:06 AM
Sep 2010
Because everyone in America speaks in Japanese. Lawl.
I want to get a pug just so I can name it Apo <3

Edit: at the end it shows Mutta's birth year as 1993... Mutta is younger than me O_O;
himitsushoujoMay 2, 2012 12:26 AM
May 2, 2012 6:44 AM

Jul 2009
M4R1K0 said:
Because everyone in America speaks in Japanese. Lawl.
I want to get a pug just so I can name it Apo <3

Edit: at the end it shows Mutta's birth year as 1993... Mutta is younger than me O_O;

That was shown in the first episode + anime is happening in 2025... Are you even watching the freakin' show?
May 2, 2012 8:38 AM

Aug 2010
Things not looking too good for Mutta. Hope he doesn't get cut.
May 2, 2012 10:47 AM

Jan 2010
APO !!!
Now This dog is my favorite character...love ~ love ~ love ♥

kavai ~

May 4, 2012 3:01 AM

Jan 2011
Apo has a hearth on the side, nice detail.
Was some sort of introduction imo, previous episodes were better.
Next episode seems to be very story-centered, I'm looking forward to it.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
May 6, 2012 6:06 AM
Jul 2018
Good episode Apo chase scene was funny as hell xD
This series keeps on being good (:
Cliffhanger for the next episode so hopefully Mutta can prove a way to show that he had a reason for doing that because the boss insulted his dreams and his brother.
May 6, 2012 9:54 AM

Mar 2012
sad not many watching this... ppl just want more moe moe fan service etc... good material they dont like.
Hope this show turns into the best anime of 2012. Mutta is best character till now of all present season animes
huntxMay 6, 2012 9:59 AM
May 6, 2012 4:03 PM

May 2008
another awesome episode!
May 7, 2012 4:21 AM
Aug 2011
Good as usual!

Thanks Hoshika-san!!!
May 9, 2012 11:56 AM

Jul 2010
"Every day that Hibito spent alone, certain that you would join him was a day of missing for him." T___T

The scene at the hot dog stand with the old couple was wonderful. I am so happy I read a tweet mentioning this show and decided to pick it up. Even if I feel down, the brothers always manage to give me a smile. :D
Jul 11, 2012 11:59 AM

Jul 2011
Lmao I never thought I'd ever see my hometown Houston in an anime.
Dec 7, 2012 5:58 PM

Jul 2009
Another amazingly beautiful episode ♥ I love this show so much! :3
Haha wtf that dog XD Apo IS kind of a weird name ... :P I LOVED how Mutta came and instantly saw things about Hibito like the cactus and the curtain ring ahahaha XD Love that kind of thing ;P
Mm, I guess Hibito still isn't that good at English XD Mutta is better than him in the end ... that note was SUPER cute though :3
I love their childhood flashbacks. Tricky Mutta ... distracting Hibito with the scenery so you could get ahead! :P I guess you can't do that now ... you have to catch up to him first before passing him! ;P Loved the thing with his thumb ... ah, it IS rather fun to do that huh?
Glad he got his inspiration back with that old couple (kind of). What they said about Hibito missing him was SO sweet T_T Y U GIVE ME SO MANY FEELZ D; Hibito noticed him looking at the training manuals too huh ...
Well crap, next episode doesn't look too good for Mutta ... the interviewer doesn't like him and his former boss gave them a call wtf D: Noooo, don't give up! Hang in there :(
Dec 28, 2013 7:15 AM

Apr 2010
Eudaimonia said:
"You're supposed to be my rival. You're no fun now." Oww, that was harsh.

Yea, it was but I'm glad he said something that should've gotten through to him.

Jul 21, 2014 6:01 PM

Nov 2011
That dog was driving me crazy as well lol
Aug 3, 2014 6:34 PM

Nov 2011
Apo was annoying for all of three seconds before becoming hilarious. It didn't take much to win me over. ♥

I feel bad for Hibito. It seems like he misses having Mutta around.

It felt a little weird seeing an American suburb in an anime, but that was interesting. Unless it's an expat neighborhood, though, it seems unusual that the neighbors would speak Japanese.

Nice episode overall.
Aug 25, 2014 1:36 AM

Jun 2014
A dog. BUT WHY
"You see this guy's eyes? More crossed than Christianity! Look at him!"
- Seamus "SSoH" O'Doherty
Mar 27, 2015 1:20 PM

Jun 2009
Well, Mutta has to get through for the sake of the plot, right? Well, maybe the anime will surprise me. Who knows.
Nov 11, 2015 10:35 AM

Mar 2012
Seems Mutta's about to be cut D: Let's see if that one fella who did the screw trick comes to his rescue.

TripleSRank said:
Apo was annoying for all of three seconds before becoming hilarious. It didn't take much to win me over. ♥

I feel bad for Hibito. It seems like he misses having Mutta around.

It felt a little weird seeing an American suburb in an anime, but that was interesting. Unless it's an expat neighborhood, though, it seems unusual that the neighbors would speak Japanese.

Nice episode overall.

Pretty sure they're speaking English like everyone else.
Dec 3, 2016 11:25 AM

May 2015
Sio, everyone in USA speak Japaneesse? Yeah...right. :D

APO is best MC. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 24, 2016 10:47 AM

Nov 2016
Episode 05 - Days of Missing:

Well in the English note Hibito left to Mutta he wrote "frideg instead of fridge" so you still have a chance?

In the early years Mutta can be ahead of his brother, but the time passed and his brother slowly got to pass ahead of him. and slowly Mutta start to forget his dream about being an astronaut. And so his brother surpased him, and fulfilled his dream, but Mutta was many steps behind him.

And the ending part was not very good for Mutta.

The reason why everyone in the USA speaks in Japanese must be because Japan does not have much VA to do the English voice in the anime, is the same with others anime.

"You're supposed to be my rival. You're no fun now." (Hibito to Mutta)

3/5
ArakitoDec 24, 2016 10:51 AM
Sep 1, 2017 2:26 PM

Aug 2015
I'm loving this show but I feel like I need to talk about the MC here.

It's fine as a kid or teen to be all like "Big brother is better" but as an Adult, Mutta really needs to grow out of this. Going to the moon/mars, being an astronaut really, for him is about his brother Hibito. He sees becoming an astronaut as finally living up to the whole "big brother is better" thing. It should be about him achieving his goals and not that.

I'm hoping that he goes through some character development and finally realizes that his brother shouldn't matter. They're both equal and there's no need for a 31 year old man to be competing with his brother who reaches moon/mars first.

Well just my thoughts anyway, on to the next episode. Just wanna say in the end, if Mutta doesn't change his views, I'll be a tad bit disappointed in this show.

edit: I have to say that Hibito's English wasn't anywhere near good for somewhere like NASA but I guess that's not really something you're supposed to think about. Although I think they ended up showing that Mutta had better English, so maybe it was intentional?
DarkBlaze99Sep 1, 2017 2:29 PM
The only opinion that should matter to you is yours.
Sep 10, 2017 11:12 AM

May 2012
That ending sure was a bit sad, but on the other side expected in a way! Let's see what's next though.
Feb 28, 2018 8:23 AM

Feb 2013
Apo is adorable!
He should be more serious about his rivalry.
Oct 18, 2020 3:33 PM

Dec 2007
apu is the the new best character.

loved the relationship of mutta and hibito, i wish i would have that kind of relationship with my brothers.

damn, what an ending, though i kinda know it's only teasing.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 99 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Allografter - Mar 22, 2014

152 by valoon »»
Apr 7, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Rinji- - Aug 10, 2013

63 by ohmmoto »»
Jan 27, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 28 Discussion

MissileSoup - Oct 13, 2012

48 by bankredmeadow »»
Jan 22, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kurini - Feb 2, 2013

150 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 22, 7:10 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 16 Discussion

thunderrain - Jul 14, 2012

41 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 21, 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.