MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Fansubs that use 10bit - Profile 5.1
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Fansubs that use 10bit - Profile 5.1

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
04-27-12, 10:32 PM

Hello there, guys,
I'm writing this for a few reasons, the first one is to criticize the random use of 10bit depth color and profile 5.1 by many fansubs. This just won't work with the majority of BluRay Players. Anime wasn't meant to be watched in a monitor, after all. BDPlayers, Xbox360, PS3 are the most used media players, and they won't be able to play advanced video codec with those settings. (I know that there are a few alternatives, but they're a pain... streaming, notebook with hdmi...).

So, I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some fansubs that still work with BluRay standards (8bit color depth, up to profile 4.1 etc.) and that translate well, so I can save time downloading files that won't play after all.
Thanks!

04-27-12, 10:34 PM

You could go for the encodes made for mobiles.

04-27-12, 10:42 PM

I've used them, but this method takes a long time and probably there will be quality loss, except if you use some huge output sizes and long encoding processes.

04-27-12, 10:42 PM

Xbox 360 is a BluRay player? That's news to me.

04-27-12, 10:45 PM

It isn't, of course, but it works as a media player, as I stated above.

04-27-12, 10:52 PM

Most subbers are using 10-bit now, so you'll probably have to come up with a different way of watching them. Personally, I have my computer connected to my TV via a HDMI cable, and I use seperate speakers. Then I just use it as a second monitor and drag stuff over to the second screen.

04-27-12, 11:15 PM

m3t4l said:
Hello there, guys,
I'm writing this for a few reasons, the first one is to criticize the random use of 10bit depth color and profile 5.1 by many fansubs. This just won't work with the majority of BluRay Players. Anime wasn't meant to be watched in a monitor, after all.

True, anime were meant to be watched in the telly or by buying it always through official means. =P

If nobody progressed simply because of convenience, we would be stuck with mpeg codecs and windows 98. The sole reason set-up boxes play h.264 codecs in a .mkv container is because pirates played them, there isn't anybody officially as far as I can tell that played or offered those aforementioned formats widely.
You might have the right to not like something, but to criticise them is a whole different story, much more so when today it's so cheap to buy a laptop, or if you're really stingy, a computer tower that can run 10bit 1080p videos. The argument of not having enough money is completely invalid since if you have sufficient money to buy a video-game, you certainly have money to buy a computer.

04-27-12, 11:22 PM

The only good option is to reencode.
I take everything I download and reencode it with burned in subtitles. Most of the time encoders are looking for quality over size anyways, and encode anime to 2x the necessary size or put out 'raws'. Waste of my bandwidth, but it's all about the end result right?

04-28-12, 12:25 AM

Best option is to just re encode it with a different format. If you don't have a shitty computer, it shouldn't take to long, usually a couple minutes per episode.

04-28-12, 8:26 AM

RoCSC-006C1BST said:
m3t4l said:
Hello there, guys,
I'm writing this for a few reasons, the first one is to criticize the random use of 10bit depth color and profile 5.1 by many fansubs. This just won't work with the majority of BluRay Players. Anime wasn't meant to be watched in a monitor, after all.

True, anime were meant to be watched in the telly or by buying it always through official means. =P

If nobody progressed simply because of convenience, we would be stuck with mpeg codecs and windows 98. The sole reason set-up boxes play h.264 codecs in a .mkv container is because pirates played them, there isn't anybody officially as far as I can tell that played or offered those aforementioned formats widely.
You might have the right to not like something, but to criticise them is a whole different story, much more so when today it's so cheap to buy a laptop, or if you're really stingy, a computer tower that can run 10bit 1080p videos. The argument of not having enough money is completely invalid since if you have sufficient money to buy a video-game, you certainly have money to buy a computer.

I understand that my critic is somehow unfair: I'm not paying anything to the producers, to the fansubs etc. Yet, we can't deny that the Internet has changed the way entertainment goes around the globe. Maybe in the USA, there's a proper market with the latest anime BDs and such, but that's an exception, considering there are 200+ countries (and, by the way american dubs are horrible as far as I've seem them).
On the other hand, BluRay Players were around for a few years before Matroska format and AVC encoders could take over DivX, it was only natural that the paradigm of DVDPlayers would leave room for BDPlayers. The change was reasonable, and nowadays Series and 90% of the Movies are encoded following a few rules (It's not 100% because there are some groups that, just like in anime scene, are not thinking about playing it on the TV - you can always use a top-notch laptop with hdmi output - how much they cost in your country it's a different story, BDPlayers are getting popular, high-end laptops, not really...).

So, right now, following the hints of our other friends here, I'm almost convinced that re-encoding is almost unavoidable. Which programs have you been using? I've tried Xvid4PSP, Handbreak and others with kind success, but it takes a long time, the positive point is that we achieve perfect subs.

Anyways, a hint for those who can't play Profile 5.1: there's a program called H264LevelEditor that most of the times 'converts' that profile to lower ones successfully. If the video isn't 10bit, it'll take you only a second.

04-28-12, 8:30 AM

If your only argument against 10bit is that "Anime wasn't meant to be watched in a monitor", then why not just hook up a TV to your computer? I watch stuff on my 32" perfectly fine. This way, you also save time not having to burn physical media.

No?
Modified by FauxAzn, 04-28-12, 8:34 AM

04-28-12, 8:32 AM

Just a thought:

Considering the command line capabilities of Avsynth and x264 codec, I'm quite sure there's a possibility to create a batch encoder that can join the .ass/.ssa subtitles to the video, use profile high 4.1 and maintain 8 bit depth. However, I haven't found a way to create it in a general fashion, a way that could work for every file input. Most reencoding programs don't usually worry about this approach, even though they can do most that was written above.

04-28-12, 8:35 AM

FauxAzn said:
If your only argument against 10bit is that "Anime wasn't meant to be watched in a monitor", then why not just hook up a TV to your computer? I watch stuff on my 32" perfectly fine.

That was just a thought. I'm against it because the main source of anime is the BDs and the HDTV, why encode stuff that can't be played with a BDP or in a HDTV without a laptop/pc (lemme bring down my whole pc two sets of stairs to watch an episode yay!).
Modified by valp, 04-28-12, 8:39 AM

04-28-12, 8:43 AM

m3t4l said:
FauxAzn said:
If your only argument against 10bit is that "Anime wasn't meant to be watched in a monitor", then why not just hook up a TV to your computer? I watch stuff on my 32" perfectly fine.

That was just a thought. I'm against it because the main source of anime is the BDs and the HDTV, why encode stuff that's can't play in a BDP or in a HDTV without a laptop/pc (lemme bring down my whole pc two sets of stairs to watch an episode yay!).

-_-

Bring down your laptop, not your desktop. If you don't have a laptop...
Well, if you have two sets of stairs, a 360, a PS3, and Bluray players, I'm assuming you probably have a good amount of money, so buy a TV and keep it next to your computer (a 32" nowadays is only $200).

Or is there still a problem?
Modified by FauxAzn, 04-28-12, 8:55 AM

04-28-12, 8:46 AM

With that much money, you can just buy the actual Blu Rays...

04-28-12, 9:04 AM

m3t4l said:
BDPlayers, Xbox360, PS3 are the most used media players

In what Universe?..

Anyway, to answer your question, I'm pretty sure all of the HorribleSubs rips of Crunchyroll shows are not in 10-bit.

04-28-12, 9:34 AM

Lol, now you're just assuming I own all those electronics, I didn't say it. I just researched the common players to watch anime, that's all. I own a BDP and a used banned fat Xbox I bought from eBay (this one, by the way, won't even play XviD, because of the lack of a specific media update I can't get anymore, since it's banned).
I've been thinking about getting a 32'' TV, but where I live, don't be mistaken, the LCD cheap brand ones cost more than 400USD already, it's crazy.

seishi-sama, Indeed, I've seem a few episodes subbed by HorribleSubs on this season's series and they're not in 10-bit. It's good to see that. By the way, which media players would you add? Maybe those chinese media players or WDTVs? I feel the first ones are too unrelyable, and the second ones are too expensive, in comparison to a BDP. And, of course we're talking about High def. MKV/MP4 performance, may people still use DVDPlayers or the TVs themselves to play anime in Xvid, Mpeg.

The whole point of this thread is to philosophize, after all. Things should be logical. I could even say that "anime is meant to be watched in TV" is a sophism, it's just an argumentative point of view that's not absolute. It's great to watch it anywhere actually. But the main sources of anime are TV-oriented anyway, I don't see a good reason, besides the possible use of a laptop with hdmi, to deny the BluRay standards in this moment.

04-28-12, 9:39 AM

Meh, I can't imagine watching it anywhere other than my computer.

Then again I don't have a tv period.
Modified by Leondre, 04-28-12, 9:43 AM

04-28-12, 10:23 AM

m3t4l said:
I don't see a good reason, besides the possible use of a laptop with hdmi, to deny the BluRay standards in this moment.

Because 10 bit H.264 is far better than 8 bit H.264, and there never will be hardware support for it if nobody actually makes use of it.

04-28-12, 10:53 AM

DYRE said:

Because 10 bit H.264 is far better than 8 bit H.264, and there never will be hardware support for it if nobody actually makes use of it.

Could you share a serious study about that? I've seem some comparisons, but at that moment, they were too hyped, not scientific.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices