Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 29, 2007 10:43 AM

Mar 2007
Post what you like about the Japanese foodculture!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 29, 2007 1:07 PM
Aug 2007
SAKE FTW
Aug 29, 2007 3:01 PM

Mar 2007
Hyoushitsu said:
SAKE FTW

Now that is something I haven't had the chance to try yet. How is it?
Aug 29, 2007 4:06 PM

Jun 2007
Hmm, now that I think about it.. I haven't tasted ANY Japanese food in my life.. Yea, I know, I suck :P
But I really want to eat all that stuff, I'm just afraid that if I eat Japanese food somewhere else than Japan it won't be really.. you know.. Japanese, the real thing.
However, one day I will definitely go there and eat all kind of stuff, melon bread is the first on my list, but maybe I will pass on grilled squid and octopi and food like that ^^
Aug 29, 2007 6:41 PM

May 2007
Sushi is one of the main things i like about japanese food culture.
Aug 30, 2007 3:43 AM

Jun 2007
Hyoushitsu said:
SAKE FTW

lol if only I was older when i was in Japan.....

d388 said:

But I really want to eat all that stuff, I'm just afraid that if I eat Japanese food somewhere else than Japan it won't be really.. you know.. Japanese, the real thing.

I get what you mean, theres like 3 japanese restaurant where I live but all of them run by chinese people so you can't really call it real...
Aug 30, 2007 6:14 AM

Mar 2007
Yeah,, to say you eat japanese food when in your homecountry (for me Sweden) would probably be to lie to yourself =). Actually tomorrow I will try and make Onigiri (rice embedded with Nori and a filling) and with that Teriyaki chicken. Now this will be a first try for this but I hope it will be a success =)
Aug 31, 2007 6:51 AM

Jun 2007
Hehe, good luck with that.
Aug 31, 2007 6:58 AM

Mar 2007
I will be sure to write how it went and I think I will take pictures when making it,, I might make a post here with cooking instructions =)
Aug 31, 2007 7:48 AM

Jun 2007
Zirgo said:
I will be sure to write how it went and I think I will take pictures when making it,, I might make a post here with cooking instructions =)

Yes, please make a post here with cooking instructions :D That way I could try to make it too.. :D

Aug 31, 2007 9:11 AM
Aug 2007
sake pwnz :) beter then vodka :) duno how to discrabe taste :)
ZIRGO DONT FORGET TO USE MAGIC WHILD MAKING IT ALWAYS HELPS!
Aug 31, 2007 10:27 AM

Mar 2007
So now the food is done and I will show you some images I took and description on how to make it. This is the first time I made it and I basically had no idea how to make it from the start but it tasted great and I am so stuffed right now I have a hard time sitting up straight =). So press the spoiler button to view all images and text. Good luck making your own dish!

Aug 31, 2007 11:29 AM

Jul 2007
Omg. YUM! I don't think my boyfriend would approve but... MARRY ME?! :P
Aug 31, 2007 12:02 PM

Mar 2007
Haha, no he probably wouldn't, and I would get a price on my head served on a plate =)
Aug 31, 2007 4:33 PM

Jun 2007
Hehh, looks cool ^^ I would give it a try, but finding a nori sheet would be quite difficult, I think.
Aug 31, 2007 10:21 PM

Jun 2007
If u don`t find nori sheets, u can use google and order it from net.. :D

I will try to make that dish too.. :) thx zirgo

Aug 31, 2007 10:35 PM

Mar 2007
I don't think it will be too hard to find nori sheets actually. I was rather surprised that the convenience store closest to me had them. I went for a starter kit so to say that contained the bamboomat and chopsticks etc etc. The mat I can reuse if I wish to make the dish again though.
Good luck with the dish lolester =). Use some magic like Hyoushitsu said and it will be great!
Sep 1, 2007 3:12 AM

Aug 2007
I think that Japanese food is just good in general. It has such a different taste and it's yummy.
Sep 1, 2007 10:35 AM

Jun 2007
Well.. it does taste good.. and it`s way healthyest food ever.. :D
lolesterSep 1, 2007 10:56 AM

Sep 1, 2007 11:02 AM

Mar 2007
lolester said:
Well.. it does taste good.. and it`s way healthyest food ever.. :D

Also a reason why the average age in Japan is way higher than many other contries.
Sep 2, 2007 11:21 PM

Jul 2007
I miss and love:
7-11 tuna onigiri, kaiten sushi (especially yaki-salmon and especially not the raw chicken), tonkatsu, yakitori from vendors, kakigori on a hot day, bottled cold or hot ocha and vitamin water from vending machines, everything matcha in Kyoto, any sweets ever. Oh it's all so yummy......
Sep 2, 2007 11:23 PM

Jul 2007
Oh and amazing work making that sushi!! Looks so good... I want some now. I'm not so good a cooking tho, I'd rather be able to buy it.
Sep 11, 2007 11:16 PM

Sep 2007
Zirgo said:
Hyoushitsu said:
SAKE FTW

Now that is something I haven't had the chance to try yet. How is it?
d388 said:
Hmm, now that I think about it.. I haven't tasted ANY Japanese food in my life.. Yea, I know, I suck :P
However, one day I will definitely go there and eat all kind of stuff, melon bread is the first on my list, but maybe I will pass on grilled squid and octopi and food like that ^^

Im going to this restaurant on friday for my birthday it's callled Osaka. It is Japanese run and owned. You can get authentic Japanese, it just depends where
you go. You dont have to go to Japan to eat Japanese food. It is true alot of places arent authentic. I'm turning 21 on friday. Im going to try sake for the first time. Im excited. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should eat? Heres the menu: http://www.usmenuguide.com/osakanorthwestmenu.html
Sep 12, 2007 1:22 AM

Mar 2007
Wow,, thats alot of food =),, more than what you meet in a Swedish restaurant menu, thats for sure. Wish I could answer the question but my experience with Japanese food is up to this point almost none. *Pokes on other members to answer*
ZirgoSep 12, 2007 10:22 PM
Sep 12, 2007 3:55 PM
Sep 2006
Reading the whole thread made me hungry :D

Hmm japanese food, i think i had sometimes nearly authentic food :)
Sushi / Sashimi is in my favorite dish, but also ramen tastes very good. Had it one time at a japanese restaurant nearby, as i read ramen on the menu i had to order it. If Naruto eats it a lot, it can't be bad :D

Puh Padron86, reading the menu, i would eat until i explode :D
Hmm the only things i've already had and which is on the menu is Chicken Teriyaki and Yakitori and it was delicious.
Sep 12, 2007 4:31 PM

Sep 2007
There is so much stuff it is hard to decide. Even the sake its hard to decide hot or cold, and their alot of different kinds.
Sep 12, 2007 10:27 PM

Mar 2007
Padron86 said:
There is so much stuff it is hard to decide. Even the sake its hard to decide hot or cold, and their alot of different kinds.

Concerning the sake it would probably follow some kind of system where some are more appropriate to drink to some kind of food,, iow just like red or white wine.
Here are some sites though. See if you can find some useful info there
http://www.sakeone.com/sake/sake101.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sake
Sep 13, 2007 2:07 AM

Sep 2007
Zirgo said:
Padron86 said:

Concerning the sake it would probably follow some kind of system where some are more appropriate to drink to some kind of food,, iow just like red or white wine.
Here are some sites though. See if you can find some useful info there
http://www.sakeone.com/sake/sake101.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sake

Thanks the info was very helpful.
Jan 18, 2008 11:21 PM
Aug 2007
Has anybody tasted konnyaku???? I think its good......but my friends dont ><..........its kinda like gelatin and its flavoured with soy sauce....and very healthy cause it has NO calories. ^^
Jan 19, 2008 5:02 AM

Mar 2007
Haha,, from that description it sounds terrible ^^, but hey, I would still like to try it, so I can say things for sure. Where to you get a hold of it?
Jan 25, 2008 8:05 PM
Aug 2007
sounds terrible? ............ i just buy it at the store that is specialty of japanese food.........it may look bad.....but it tastes good.....at least i think so..... ><
Apr 9, 2008 4:56 AM

Feb 2008
Onigiri ^.^
i love them sooo yummi :3

i like to coke with the wok so do you know a good rezept? if yes please say it ^^
Apr 17, 2008 2:10 AM

Feb 2008
I have an obsession with Tempura. Actually, since I saw an episode of Aria with Akari eating it earlier, it's making me hungry for it now. Unfortunately the Japanese place down the street closed at nine and it's four in the morning. Dx I'm definitely going there in the morning with my friend. ;_;

Anyways though, I love Japanese food. Just about the only thing I haven't liked so far has actually been the sushi, haha. But since there are so many other dishes and things to eat, I'm just fine with everything else that I've tried so far, and I'm looking forward to trying more and more! Tempura is definitely my favorite, though. 8D
Anime figure reviews:
Jun 29, 2008 9:55 PM

Aug 2007
my fave japanese food - sashimi (raw fish)
my fave japanese drink - osake (rice wine)

most japanese love to drink and smoke. but they eat healthy food, mostly seafood and vegetables. so i guess they're just balanced hehe. i don't smoke so i haven't tried any of their cigarettes. they have lots of beer but i like the ones in my country (philippines) better.
Aug 30, 2008 7:11 AM

Feb 2008
There are plenty of good Japanese restaurants in London, but I still miss the sheer variety and excellent value of the food and snacks in Japan - these are just some of the wonderful meals I enjoyed:

Hitsumabushi - grilled eel on rice, served in 3 ways (plain, with toppings mixed in and finally also with dashi poured on top)

Healthy tonkatsu

Minshuku landlady's cooking: grilled river fish, tofu, somen, tempura, soup and lots of wild mountain vegetables

More wild mountain vegetable cooking

Even more wild mountain vegetable cooking - this time with Hida beef cooked from raw on a piece of leaf

Icecream - Hida apple pie, organic green tea and even Shirakawa sake flavoured

Sushi - unagi, uni, ikura, toro... *_*

More adventurous sushi - whole fish including tail!
Sep 1, 2008 1:52 AM

Aug 2007
I'm always an experimenter in the kitchen so I had to post this. Last week I made mochi for the first time, and it turned out great. I made some plain red bean daifuku and a couple ichigo ones, and they freeze really well. (...the plain ones anyway, I kinda ate all the ichigo that afternoon. XD )

Stealthheart said:
Has anybody tasted konnyaku???? I think its good......but my friends dont ><..........its kinda like gelatin and its flavoured with soy sauce....and very healthy cause it has NO calories. ^^

I've never tried konnyaku ('cuz I can't find it), but, I'm nuts about shirataki. It can make the most healthy and filling meals. I buy it in pasta form and I love the interesting texture of it.

Tamago to chikai wa kudake-yasui.
Aug 9, 2009 6:22 AM
Aug 2009
Sushi is the best, I cannot say anything more :P
Sep 26, 2009 9:30 AM
Sep 2009
usally since im not in japan yet..i go to a asian market or places that sell japanese style food also i go to japanese resturands and they all taste good just like it came from japan
Dec 9, 2009 5:40 AM

Jul 2009
I like sushi and teppanyaki!!
dorayaki also good but I like most sushi and teppanyaki!!

signature set credited to Bunnyama

「No human has ever been whole. 」
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Japanese Culture

Zirgo - Sep 7, 2007

9 by christian_otaku »»
May 4, 2013 3:02 AM

» Presenting Japan to my classmates!

christian_otaku - May 4, 2013

0 by christian_otaku »»
May 4, 2013 2:33 AM

» Japanese Music

Zirgo - Sep 4, 2007

21 by SweetFrailty »»
Feb 5, 2013 7:27 AM

» Japanese Martial Arts

Zirgo - Aug 29, 2007

23 by elsol »»
Mar 24, 2010 3:26 PM

» Wakan: Great Language Resource

wintercarver - Feb 23, 2008

1 by Jin-Sakurai »»
Aug 9, 2009 6:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.