36.2%
I'm female and my answer is no.
16.9%
(@[]@!!)
17.4%
213 votes
Apr 26, 2012 7:07 AM

Dec 2008
During those glory days of ancient China, rich merchants, kings and emperors have been known to keep a number of pretty boys or beautiful men as "pets", or a better term may be "male concubines". Since the Manchurians conquered China this practice has all been forgotten now, but given the chance (if you could afford it), and if it wasn't such a taboo practice, would you have liked to keep one? I do realize that the standard of a man's appearance in the west is vastly different from the east, but this is an anime forum, people may actually LIKE beautiful men. Or I could be wrong... Anyway, I'm really curious what you guys think.

A little quick trivia: The masked Chinese war general 蘭陵王 as depicted in the well-known Japanese dance is one such "beautiful man", though he never submitted to anyone as a concubine. His superiors complained of his beautiful face having the opposite effect of intimidating the enemy, and so the mask.

Pictures if anyone wants to see what artists have imagined them to look like:

Although male concubines are pretty much a very real part of ancient history and culture, some of the stories of how these beautiful men died (or escaped) were pretty ridiculous. Some of which said "fainted from over-crowding of girls wanting to see his face, died days later" and "abducted by princess who has 30 concubines. She threatens suicide if he won't be her pet. When he persists in leaving, she eventaully relented and let him go". Sounds like really good fan-fic lol, but damn if it were real, then the old ways are really the way to go for open-mindedness.

Edit:
There's a bit of a misunderstanding here. These men are not forced into becoming slaves, but yes they MAY be treated like property, but not the kind where the "pet" is absolutely powerless to do anything. Pets are pampered, not used as slaves.

First the term used for the male concubines is 男寵, which makes up of the word 男 meaning boy or man, and 寵 meaning to love, pamper, to spoil or concubine. Obviously they are not treated as slaves, and records of 男寵 may even become kings or warriors. Listing a few:

龙阳君 - Male concubine of the king of 魏安厘. Constantly in need of the kings reassurance that he still loves him. Known to be extremely talented in sword fighting, various martial arts and politics. Have on several occasion represented his king on diplomatic missions.

韩子高 - Male concubine of king 陈蒨. He was the only recorded male concubine who was allowed to take the role of the "queen".

归守明 - Male concubine of king 王延钧. Known to make the palace harem of imperial concubines his own little empire.

李二哇 - Male concubine of the militia chieften 张献忠. Was kidnapped by a war general. To win him over, the general promised him every thing that the militia chieften could provide and better, but he flat out rejected him. To prove his loyalty, he refused to eat and died of hunger.

I think this is clear enough now?
MouhappaiApr 29, 2012 9:30 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 26, 2012 8:02 AM

Jan 2010
"I'm gay and HELL YES" ...why is this even an option tho?

Sounds like having a slave, so no thank you.
Apr 26, 2012 8:18 AM

Dec 2008
holypoop said:
"I'm gay and HELL YES" ...why is this even an option tho?

Sounds like having a slave, so no thank you.

Okay, I removed the option, might come off as slightly insensitive I guess.

A concubine is not a slave. I was expecting someone to say that though. They are more like an adopted son than anything like a slave. You get to live life doing whatever you like, getting spoiled and all.
MouhappaiApr 26, 2012 8:24 AM
Apr 26, 2012 8:22 AM

Oct 2009
What is this? -and no. I don't wish for sex-slaves. You guys are silly if you want teh women and men all to yourselves.

Apr 26, 2012 8:39 AM
Apr 26, 2012 9:50 AM
Oct 2010
Given that sex slavery and human trafficking in general is an extremely profitable venue these days and a horrible reality for many people around the world that no international organization really knows how to deal with, your thread comes off as more than 'a little insensitive'; at least in my mind.

Torturing little kids might have been a common practice at some point in history in some place on earth, that does not make it a natural springboard for discussion: 'so, if you could torture a kid tomorrow, what would be your tools of choice? Feel free to discuss!'
Apr 26, 2012 10:30 AM

Jun 2008
Sadly it's so "taboo" I don't even want to picture myself in such a hypothetical scenario.
Apr 26, 2012 10:50 AM

Sep 2009
Speaking as a Turkish prince, the idea of having lots of attractive people whom I can treat as dolls is very appealing to me. My preference would be that they were female of course, but being of a rather adventurous disposition I would not be affronted by the notion of some man on man sexual escapades if the men in question were effeminate looking or 'beautiful' in the sense that women are beautiful. After all, I am unconcerned with anything other than satisfying my copious sexual appetite, and does it matter if my seed finds it release in the orifices of a woman or a man?
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Apr 26, 2012 10:54 AM

Feb 2005
Slaves? Yes please. Pretty slaves? Yes indeed.
Naturally women would be preferable, but I'm sure a prettyboy could be useful too, he can do the dishes and clean the house just as well, and I could probably use him to scam money out of rich ladies.
Apr 26, 2012 11:02 AM

Oct 2011
Concubines are not slaves, people...
I see dead people.
Apr 26, 2012 11:31 AM

Jul 2009
It's funny, but I usually prefer the look of these "pretty boys" more than the overly masculine Western ideal.

As for whether I want them as concubines? Nope, I'd rather have women, since I don't lean that way. I can keep them as servants, though. A strong, handsome man with flowing hair would be a pretty cool bodyguard.
Apr 26, 2012 11:35 AM

Apr 2011
Nintendosoni said:

This

And this...

Baman said:
Slaves? Yes please. Pretty slaves? Yes indeed.
Naturally women would be preferable, but I'm sure a prettyboy could be useful too, he can do the dishes and clean the house just as well, and I could probably use him to scam money out of rich ladies.
GloriousHawkApr 26, 2012 11:42 AM
Apr 26, 2012 11:43 AM

Jun 2011
I do know that concubines are not slaves, but it seems to me the term might be different for different cultures. I think more information on what exactly you mean would make this topic more on the topic that you had in mind.
Apr 26, 2012 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
Taking aside the fact that I'd be "buying" someone, hell yes
Apr 26, 2012 1:45 PM
Oct 2010
GloriousHawk said:
Nintendosoni said:

This

I am sorry, but this obvious distinction obscures a harsh reality; indeed, concubines are not necessarily forced into the 'profession' but historically, abduction or training since birth has been a common way to procure these 'beautiful boys' and girls for the powerful. Furthermore, once you enter the 'profession', one way or another, getting out is never a simple matter. A considerable percentage of consorts have never really had a say in the matter.

Of course, talking about free prostitutes, consorts etc. is completely different, but the op mentioned things like 'pets', (a pet does not get to say 'hey, I got bored of being a pet, leaving, see ya') 'escape' and 'died', if he did not talk about forced labor or labor without the freedom to terminate it then why use those words?

Edit: In the end, what I am trying to say is: are we talking about property, or free people? I interpreted the situation in the opening post to refer to effectively being treated as property. And it makes sense when talking about pets; if my pet girl has pet babies, why shouldn't I be able to sell them to other loving masters?
hentai_proxyApr 26, 2012 2:50 PM
Apr 26, 2012 1:59 PM

Feb 2008
No way.
I'll keep animals as pets, but humans? Fuck that.
Anime figure reviews:
Apr 26, 2012 2:17 PM

Jan 2008
I have a dog. I love my dog more than I will ever love any human being. My dog is more of a friend than a pet, a part of my family. I couldn't care less for having a ''pet'' human of any kind.

Though, having a human as a pet would probably the most useful thing that it could do.
Apr 26, 2012 2:56 PM

Nov 2011
If I did not have to pay for the expenses of having one, then I would think about it.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Apr 26, 2012 3:33 PM

Sep 2009
Alpha-kudasu said:
I have a dog. I love my dog more than I will ever love any human being. My dog is more of a friend than a pet, a part of my family. I couldn't care less for having a ''pet'' human of any kind.

Though, having a human as a pet would probably the most useful thing that it could do.

But Alpha, what if I want to be your dog? :<
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Apr 26, 2012 3:46 PM

Dec 2011
I'd love to have one as a pet.
Apr 26, 2012 4:01 PM

Oct 2011
Can they cook?
As I would take 3:
- one would cook
- one would be cleaning the house and doing stuff like this
- one would work instead of me, some well paid job

Something like intership but for life... why not
Apr 26, 2012 4:22 PM

Apr 2012
mindblown.
Apr 26, 2012 6:48 PM

Feb 2009
Weeeeeeell being NOT gay, a pretty male is of no real use to me.

I'd rather if it had to be male they were just very strong and able to give a back rub the lasted 3 hours without tiring. Now that would be useful. I suffer from back ache. I couldn't care less if they were ugly.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Apr 26, 2012 7:14 PM

Dec 2008
There's a bit of a misunderstanding here. These men are not forced into becoming slaves, but yes they MAY be treated like property, but not the kind where the "pet" is absolutely powerless to do anything.

First the term used for the male concubines is 男寵, which makes up of the word 男 meaning boy or man, and 寵 meaning to love, pamper, to spoil or concubine. Obviously they are not treated as slaves, and records of 男寵 may even become kings or warriors. Listing a few:

龙阳君 - Male concubine of the king of 魏安厘. Constantly in need of the kings reassurance that he still loves him. Known to be extremely talented in sword fighting, various martial arts and politics. Have on several occasion represented his king on diplomatic missions.

韩子高 - Male concubine of king 陈蒨. He was the only recorded male concubine who was allowed to take the role of the "queen".

归守明 - Male concubine of king 王延钧. Known to make the palace harem of imperial concubines his own little empire.

李二哇 - Male concubine of the militia chieften 张献忠. Was kidnapped by a war general. To win him over, the general promised him every thing that the militia chieften could provide and better, but he flat out rejected him. To prove his loyalty, he refused to eat and died of hunger.

Apr 26, 2012 7:24 PM

Nov 2007
This kind of reminds me of the manga Kimi wa Pet, better known in English as "Tramps Like Us".

I would keep a pretty boy as my pet! Provided he didn't try to do anything lecherous to me. XD
Apr 26, 2012 7:58 PM
Oct 2010
Mouhappai said:
There's a bit of a misunderstanding here. These men are not forced into becoming slaves, but yes they MAY be treated like property, but not the kind where the "pet" is absolutely powerless to do anything.

No, I don't think so. Mainly because I am clueless as to the particular branch of 'concubine'. You are first saying that concubines of that sort MAY be treated like property, and then you are listing some cases in which concubines actually go very high up.

First of all, I have no idea about the relative numbers: how many of those concubines actually made it to the top, and how many were treated like property? Secondly, of those who did make it to the top, how many had this ambition from the beginning and voluntarily joined a harem rather than simply claw their way up as a sole route from within the environment they were confined initially against their will? Thirdly, in each case, for each concubine that excelled, how many others did not? Of those that did not, how many had a choice to simply go back to farming or whatever?

In the end, you simply gave an example, a convenient one perhaps, and then asked us: would you like to have a pet? And I am asking: what do you mean, 'pet'? Can I sell my pet's babies? Can I give them away? Can I take them away from their mother? What if I get two boys that are brothers and then give one away to somebody else, splitting them apart for life? Can they object? If I can, all the treasures and gold and influence in the royal courts in the world will probably mean very little to some of those people. Others will climb to the top. *shrugs* Still seems a very, very disagreeable discussion to me.

Edit: Let me give you another example of my objection to 'they made it to the top' argument; a little exaggerated one (but a very real and common thing), to drive the point through: suppose I am a two year old, I am abducted from my village by guerrillas or sold by my relatives and made a child soldier, say for a 'noble' purpose, in a war to overthrow a bad regime for example. However, I excel in combat and have good leadership potential, so I rise up as I grow up to actually lead guerrilla groups. Eventually, I have my own squad, essentially my freedom and locally at least, immense power. Does this end result legitimize the practice that led me here?
hentai_proxyApr 26, 2012 8:18 PM
Apr 26, 2012 8:43 PM

Jan 2011
Seems like a good investment, keep in the basement to produce cash.
Apr 26, 2012 10:32 PM

Jan 2011
...! Of course I would keep one, it would be really interesting and
Funny~
Apr 27, 2012 1:08 AM
Aug 2009
What the hell did I just read.
Really amusing how appearances change lives.
Would I keep one? no, although it's tempting to write a story about it.
Apr 27, 2012 1:43 AM

Mar 2008
No, I wouldnt mind a buddy to hang around all the time but they would just make me insecure on how I look.
Apr 27, 2012 4:43 AM

Sep 2011
CodeXen said:
mindblown.

Keeping one would totally ruin my pride as a straight guy.
Apr 27, 2012 6:03 AM

Apr 2008
wow this thread is sexist, you women are pigs!

(not serious... lol'd)
Apr 27, 2012 6:35 AM

Apr 2012
I'd have one and I'm a guy, i wouldn't do "stuff" with him but I'd make him work damn hard because I'm far too lazy to go make my own food...
Apr 27, 2012 7:02 AM

Dec 2008
Kallum260 said:
I'd have one and I'm a guy, i wouldn't do "stuff" with him but I'd make him work damn hard because I'm far too lazy to go make my own food...

If you can afford to own one, then you probably have servants make your food already. :P
Apr 27, 2012 7:58 AM

Apr 2012
Mouhappai said:
Kallum260 said:

If you can afford to own one, then you probably have servants make your food already. :P

"afford to own one", i wouldn't pay him, I'd feed him cheap food like... bread lmao then he might die of starvation... damn, I'm so heartless.
Apr 27, 2012 1:07 PM

Jul 2010
I do want a hot guy but not as a pet. I just want someone to keep me company.
Apr 27, 2012 4:12 PM

Jun 2010
Yes, but it totally depends on how they look and how they dress.
Manly men? Fuck no. Girly men; welcome to my abode!
Apr 27, 2012 4:30 PM

Dec 2010
Androgynous men, hmm.. Yes, this could work to my advantage.

I'd have him do a myriad of jobs, from coercion to blackmail to an assortment of seduction schemes. Of course, it'd be both to our benefits. I'd rather not have him as a 'pet', but as a 'business partner'.

animelly said:
I do want a hot guy but not as a pet. I just want someone to keep me company.

<3?
LaurietApr 28, 2012 7:39 PM
Apr 27, 2012 11:27 PM

Dec 2011
-s so so beautiful..I'm dazzled.

Apr 28, 2012 12:08 AM

Feb 2008
I'd keep one if they dressed up like a cute girl for me and wore frilly dresses. No homo.
Apr 28, 2012 5:03 AM

Aug 2009
I'd keep one as my maid. I mean, they ARE pretty.
Apr 28, 2012 5:05 AM

Apr 2012
No, just no.

On the other hand..

You can have one! No, take ten!
That would mean there are more fish for me to catch, or something, harr harr.
kiltroutgore said:
"I am meme, hear me roar."
Apr 28, 2012 8:58 AM
Jul 2018
I'm against anything that's devaluing humanity. A no-no for me.
Apr 28, 2012 2:20 PM
May 2010
Pretty sure a few people are taking this more seriously than it is intended.
Apr 28, 2012 2:34 PM

Feb 2008
Dafuq.
Apr 28, 2012 3:44 PM
Oct 2010
Ambalamps said:
Pretty sure a few people are taking this more seriously than it is intended.

Then post it in Casual Chat, not GD. The OP prefaces the question by describing how natural and common the practice has been in the past; i.e. in reality, real life. I despise social models that allow these things and given that many people are busting their asses to end similar practices today with little success, not everyone can take the question as an amusing 'what if' game.

So for those of you who replied 'yes': why don't you? It is not impossible; it is difficult to smuggle these kids into the US (boat to mexico, from land to us), sure, so you need a lot of money but I am sure a small minority of users in this site can afford them. Besides, many users live in some European countries where trafficking people is easier than smuggling cigarettes through the borders, making it even more feasible to acquire the services of these kids (or even entire families, if one is so inclined).
Apr 28, 2012 7:21 PM
Jul 2018
Yup sure would. Wouldn't stop at one either!
Apr 28, 2012 7:52 PM

Mar 2012
Hmm...a no for me...
Apr 28, 2012 8:29 PM

Mar 2012
He can be my "whipping boy"
Apr 28, 2012 8:31 PM

Dec 2009
Video of pretty boys as pets here:
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.