Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 25, 2012 7:14 PM

Apr 2012
Not necessarily magic but more of the theme were people can gain power but at a big price. I really like the dark undertones and how they can deliver an emotional roller coaster. So any suggestions
Apr 25, 2012 8:03 PM

Nov 2011
metalandanime said:
Not necessarily magic but more of the theme were people can gain power but at a big price. I really like the dark undertones and how they can deliver an emotional roller coaster. So any suggestions

Well, if you want another highly acclaimed darker magical girl show, go with Revolutionary Girl Utena, for sure. It's a classic and is just incredibly good (I may or may not be biased, hahaha). It's very psychological, and pretty much everything is a metaphor, so it's very weird. I also see you've watch Marawaru Penguindrum- Utena is by the same studio, so it's the same sort of metaphors and very similar art. Utena is more of a shoujo though, but it's just a fantastic series.

Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl) is another you may enjoy- You can have someone sent to hell, but at the price of your own soul. When you die, your soul will also belong to hell- but not until you die.

X/1999 (tv) I'm pretty sure Ga-Rei:Zero was inspired by X/1999. The atmosphere is similar as are the two lead characters. The main character must choose to either save the world as it is now, or revolutionize it- Kill all humans and let it regrow anew, but each one comes with a hefty price.

xxxHolic- Everything comes with a price in the shop of Yuuko.

Other than that, you've seen pretty much anything else I would suggest.
Apr 25, 2012 9:19 PM

Feb 2010
Princess Tutu!!
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 25, 2012 9:39 PM

Aug 2011
Im watching Uta Kata right now, and its very similar to both Madoka and Mai Hime. Others that I havent personally seen are Bokurano, Shadow Star Narutaru, and the already mentioned Princess Tutu. I would also recommend Pretear, its not quite as psychological as the others, but it has a similar feel to the other dark mahou shoujos.

Also, if you really like this stuff, I would look up Sailor Nothing and do a little bit of reading. Its absolutely phenomenal for being written back in 2000.
Apr 26, 2012 7:10 AM

Apr 2009
+1 Jigoku Shoujo, Rev Girl Utena, and Princess Tutu

Monster has this... sort of, at some points in the show.
Apr 26, 2012 8:42 AM

Nov 2010
lyrical nanoha
Apr 26, 2012 10:28 AM

May 2010
Like kickthebucket said
Mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha
3Seasons of awesomeness
"My happiness comes from the kindness of those around me"
Apr 26, 2012 12:25 PM

Jun 2010
Alien Nine
Apr 26, 2012 12:25 PM

Feb 2008
Steins;Gate, feels very similar to Madoka, while being absolutely nothing like it. Still, it has the elements you requested.

Mai-Otome, not quite as dark as hime, but similar enough that you'd probably still like it

Princess Tutu, +1. Battles are typical mahou shoujo but the plot is much darker than the norm and the cost of her powers is quite extreme from a certain point of veiw

Code Geass, maybe. Hated it personally, but I'm in the minority and it meets your requirements.

C, maybe
Apr 26, 2012 2:15 PM

Mar 2009
Similar to Mai HiME

Jinki:Extend
Last Exile and LE: Ginyoku no Fam
Mai-Otome
Simoun
Uchuu no Stellvia

Aozora Shoujotai
Sky Girls
Rocket Girls
Strike Witches (I didn't really care for it.)

Darker like Madoka:
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Princess Tutu
xxxHOLiC
X * http://myanimelist.net/anime/156/X
Pandora Hearts

Jigoku Shoujo
Shigofumi
Shinigami no Ballad
lisnoireApr 26, 2012 2:22 PM
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079

More topics from this board

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

3 by duchessliz87 »»
8 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
8 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

69 by WatchTillTandava »»
9 hours ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - 10 hours ago

0 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
10 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

10 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Yesterday, 9:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.