MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Anime with super cool protagonist
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime & Manga Recommendations »» Anime with super cool protagonist

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
04-28-12, 6:47 AM

ne44to said:
^I don't particularly like mecha, and full metal panic doesn't seem worth it.
In what way?

04-28-12, 9:02 AM

^the summary end with a question question (not this site), which is a big tell-tale. The summary from this site: "enemies from his past as well as the occasional panty thief.", uh yeah no.
Reading some of the reviews: nothing more than imitation of war, handled very childishly (not believably), that it would have been better without the organization. and overall impression from reading the reviews it's fairly good and watchable but not a masterpiece. But it's mecha, so unless it is a masterpiece I don't particularly want to watch it...

04-28-12, 10:08 AM

ne44to said:

Also couldn't handle Hokuto no Ken, not really what I am looking for. The protagonist doesn't really hide his powers, and is a little over powered. Nor did I even like his powers (actually I hated them, especially his high pitched scream when he kicks)...

Don't you be dissin' Ken's 'Wachaa!' :P

Anyway, I be seconding One Outs and Rose of Versailles.

04-28-12, 10:35 AM

ne44to said:
^the summary end with a question question (not this site), which is a big tell-tale. The summary from this site: "enemies from his past as well as the occasional panty thief.", uh yeah no.
Reading some of the reviews: nothing more than imitation of war, handled very childishly (not believably), that it would have been better without the organization. and overall impression from reading the reviews it's fairly good and watchable but not a masterpiece. But it's mecha, so unless it is a masterpiece I don't particularly want to watch it...

That may be true for the first FMP! series but The Second Raid is easily one of the best action scenes I've seen. Most people would probably agree.

04-28-12, 8:15 PM

ne44to said:
I want for the characters in the anime not to know that he is mr.awesome and be in for a surprise when they find out.
Still, that's basically 80% of every episode of Hokuto no Ken :/

Also, depends on what about mecha it is that you dislike.
If you've got the really gritty and realistic like Votoms on the one hand and all out TTGL super robot on the other, FMP is pretty close to the "real robot" genre, while actually keeping a bit closer to the "real" part of it than most Gundam series.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

04-28-12, 9:17 PM

^well I want the supporting characters much better developed than in Hokuto no Ken.. it took like half an episode for them to find out who he is. I want supporting characters introduced and developed for a long period of time.. quality>quantity.
e.g. code geass, darker than black basically took the whole series to reveal the protagonist for who he is.

Unfortunately I have not seen neither Votoms, nor any of Gundam series. I am a strong believer of "if it serves no purpose leave it the hell out". + mecha has been done to death. I sort of associate mecha with the show being childish.

04-28-12, 9:23 PM

I really liked Jio Freed in O Parts Hunter, I thought he was quiet unique, really matured and sacrificed alot for others. He was admirable for his quirky and outgoing personality, and inspiring for his passion to accomplish his biggest dream.
I hope that helped, it's a really good Manga too ^_^

04-28-12, 9:31 PM

ne44to said:
Unfortunately I have not seen neither Votoms, nor any of Gundam series. I am a strong believer of "if it serves no purpose leave it the hell out". + mecha has been done to death. I sort of associate mecha with the show being childish.
Well, at least Votoms would be worth a look then, both in terms of the thread's purpose and not being childish with silly beamspamming super units and all. Probably has the best mecha action scenes I've seen too, where tactical manoeuvring is more important than having some super unit with a big gun.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

04-29-12, 1:25 PM

What about Bakemonogatari? The protagonist - Koyomi Araragi - is a half vampire and while he does get smacked around a fair bit he's a class act caracter and were he to get serious he'd do well. It's one of my all time favourites, it's oddly done and the interactions are so memorable I really want to write Arararagi or Araragi-kun rather than just Araragi. The characters make this anime and the art is weird and interesting.

In a way I'd recommend Hyouka, it's a new anime and I've only seen the first episode but he's so lazy he comes up with a somewhat elaborate plan to distract and deceive the lead heroine, just to avoid having to walk all the way to the music classroom. I like the look of it so far and I'm going to continue watching it.

Ao no Exorcist is a good recommendation in the sense that he has to keep his secret hidden, I was very disappointed that it was so short, I think it could have easily been a long lasting series like Naruto or Bleach. The ending was rushed as well, still a very good show and I'm planning on rewatching it myself.

Darker Than Black was an absolute masterpiece, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

I really thought that there were a lot of anime like that but I suppose it's not as common as I thought.
Hachikuji: Araragi-san, you don't look even the least bit apologetic. You should at least say something after touching a girl's delicate chest!
Araragi: *Clueless look* Thanks?

Bakemonogatari, Episode 5.

04-29-12, 1:35 PM

^it is probably because people aren't recommending bad ones / ones I have already seen. I have already seen Bakemonogatari (which was pretty damn good), as well as Ao no Exorcist. (Ao no Exorcist was mainstream crap imo).

I dismissed Hyouka for some reason... Hopefully it was a good one.

04-29-12, 2:43 PM

What was your reason for dismissing Hyouka, if you don't mind me asking.

I know where you're coming from about Ao no Exorcist but while I know it's mainstream, etc I still enjoyed it. I thought Rin had some character - albiet a fair few trite traits - and that it was interesting.

Out of curiosity have you been recommended any good ones?
Modified by JacobGrey93, 04-29-12, 2:47 PM
Hachikuji: Araragi-san, you don't look even the least bit apologetic. You should at least say something after touching a girl's delicate chest!
Araragi: *Clueless look* Thanks?

Bakemonogatari, Episode 5.

04-29-12, 3:25 PM

^oh Hyouka is ongoing. (I just remembered looking at the pic, so decided I dismissed it). I'll consider watching it after it has finished airing. You can try Great Teacher Onizuka, and One Outs (go to my profile, click shared, click unique to ne44to, and hit sort by score). If you want to continue the discussion (i.e. not directly related to the original topic) post on my profile (not sure if I get notified though), or better yet pm me.

04-29-12, 4:13 PM

^oops I misread. I don't know if I have been recommended any good ones yet.
I only tried 2 thus far, the others I will eventually get to.

04-29-12, 5:09 PM

Angel Beats! /not

On a more serious note;
Kurozuka.
Motorhead fan? Join: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=40023

Credit to Devilman01

04-29-12, 5:37 PM

Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou

Sai is a boss!! =)

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices