Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 24, 2012 11:20 PM
Feb 2012
For me the coolest protagonist is one who is already super strong, but doesn't flaunt it. He usually hides his powers. But you always want the supporting characters to find out that he is mr.awesome and want to see their reactions.

Examples:
Darker than Black - especially the second season
The Legend of the Legendary Heroes
Code Geass

Try to not suggest me stuff I already watched. Ty.
Apr 25, 2012 5:57 AM

Jun 2008
Rurouni Kenshin
Apr 25, 2012 6:12 AM

Apr 2009
Sword of the Stranger
Seirei no Moribito
Apr 25, 2012 7:02 AM

Feb 2005
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Yang)
Hellsing Ultimate
Hokuto no Ken
Armored Trooper Votoms
Slayers
Apr 25, 2012 7:06 AM

Apr 2012
Ao no excorcist
Death note
Pandora hearts ( manga version)
Kuragehime
Toradora!
Black Cat
Skip Beat!

Those are a few series that have really cool protagonists in my opinion. ^^
Apr 25, 2012 7:10 AM

Apr 2011
Baman said:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Yang)
Hellsing Ultimate
Hokuto no Ken
Armored Trooper Votoms
Slayers

I fully agree with the first three.
Apr 25, 2012 8:11 AM

Jun 2010
One Outs nuff said.
Apr 25, 2012 9:20 AM

Dec 2011
Kaze no Stigma
Apr 25, 2012 11:10 AM
Feb 2012
Adding Seirei no Moribito.
Also adding Hokuto no Ken.

Fairly sure I ruined Rurouni Kenshin by watching OVA first, so not going to watch it.

Only reason Hellsing Ultimate is in PTW is because according to this site it is currently airing, and I need to figure out how many episodes I have seen (most likely all).

I will definitely watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes but this is going to require some preparation (it is long and has older drawings), otherwise I am just going to drop in on the first few episodes.

So ty.

@rodentqween99,macedadon why do you bother... I even explicitly asked not to give stuff on my list
Apr 25, 2012 11:32 AM
Feb 2012
Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen takes place before the original series so in a continuation sense, no, it doesn't spoil the series. They are however(imo) very different styles, Tsuiokuhen is gloom while the series has a more bright feeling to it. Now I havn't actually watched the entire series as it doesn't particularly interest me atm and I only watch what I want to watch at the time, so I might have the wrong idea.
Apr 25, 2012 9:23 PM

Feb 2012
I'm totally watching this topic, I need more too.

Anyway, I don't really have no idea about the "power" stuff, but well..

Phi Brain? Main chara is so freakin' damn good at puzzles and all they could so is jaw drop. XD.
Ao no Exorcist?
Black Cat? Well at first parts I guess.

Well anyway, seconding everyone said. Maa maa.

set made by tsudecimo ★ i m a d g m t r a s h ★ pnch blc mal rewrite

Apr 25, 2012 9:53 PM

Mar 2009
@ne44to re: Rurouni Kenshin - as Doz3r said, you will find the series quite different than Ruroun Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen. In fact, don't expect the series to be line the OVA. The OVA is more Seinen and series is decidedly Shounen . . . and one of the best. In my book second only to Fullmetal Alchemist.

Arc the Lad
Black Jack . . . sota
Guin Saga
Mars Daybreak . . . maybe
Pumpkin Scissors
Rurouni Kenshin
Seirei no Moribito
Sword of the Stranger
Utawarerumono

Not really super powers but super smart, super cool, special skills
Gankutsuou
Kaze no Yojimbo
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Master Keaton
Moonlight Mile
Porco Rosso
Speed Grapher
The Skull Man
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Apr 25, 2012 9:57 PM

Apr 2012
Boku no pico <33 PICO IS SO CUTE XD
Apr 25, 2012 10:13 PM

Mar 2012
I would say Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, but youv'e already seen it.....And Darker than black which also pretty good..... Dude you've seen it all.
How about Toriko?
Apr 25, 2012 11:33 PM
Feb 2012
Hmm, where did I ever say super powers? Ok, maybe I sorta did, but that wasn't what I meant.
Either, super powers are not necessary, i.e. darker than black s2.

Also couldn't handle Hokuto no Ken, not really what I am looking for. The protagonist doesn't really hide his powers, and is a little over powered. Nor did I even like his powers (actually I hated them, especially his high pitched scream when he kicks)...
I am fairly certain Rurouni Kenshin is the same way. i.e. both the audience, and the characters in the anime know that he is a killer.

I want for the characters in the anime not to know that he is mr.awesome and be in for a surprise when they find out.

Going to try Utawarerumono now.
Apr 27, 2012 8:15 PM
Feb 2012
Utawarerumono :
Apr 27, 2012 8:28 PM
Apr 27, 2012 8:32 PM

Jun 2008
ne44to said:
Utawarerumono :
Yeah the ending was bad.

It made me play the VN too and I still think it was bad. It was uncalled for to bring in a sci-fi element to a fantasy story.

Still the guy was pretty cool.

Ima add Full Metal Panic. Kinda surprised you haven't seen it (then again I am still neglecting Fumoffu for unknown reasons).
Apr 27, 2012 10:27 PM
Feb 2012
^I don't particularly like mecha, and full metal panic doesn't seem worth it.
Apr 28, 2012 1:37 AM
Jul 2018
I agree with Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Seirei no Moribito, Rurouni Kenshin

Adding -
Juuni Kokuki
Spice and Wolf
Hayate no Gotoku!
Escaflowne
Detective Conan
Rose of Versailles
removed-userApr 28, 2012 1:48 AM
Apr 28, 2012 6:47 AM

Jun 2008
ne44to said:
^I don't particularly like mecha, and full metal panic doesn't seem worth it.
In what way?
Apr 28, 2012 9:02 AM
Feb 2012
^the summary end with a question question (not this site), which is a big tell-tale. The summary from this site: "enemies from his past as well as the occasional panty thief.", uh yeah no.
Reading some of the reviews: nothing more than imitation of war, handled very childishly (not believably), that it would have been better without the organization. and overall impression from reading the reviews it's fairly good and watchable but not a masterpiece. But it's mecha, so unless it is a masterpiece I don't particularly want to watch it...
Apr 28, 2012 10:08 AM

Mar 2009
ne44to said:

Also couldn't handle Hokuto no Ken, not really what I am looking for. The protagonist doesn't really hide his powers, and is a little over powered. Nor did I even like his powers (actually I hated them, especially his high pitched scream when he kicks)...

Don't you be dissin' Ken's 'Wachaa!' :P

Anyway, I be seconding One Outs and Rose of Versailles.
Apr 28, 2012 10:35 AM

Jun 2009
ne44to said:
^the summary end with a question question (not this site), which is a big tell-tale. The summary from this site: "enemies from his past as well as the occasional panty thief.", uh yeah no.
Reading some of the reviews: nothing more than imitation of war, handled very childishly (not believably), that it would have been better without the organization. and overall impression from reading the reviews it's fairly good and watchable but not a masterpiece. But it's mecha, so unless it is a masterpiece I don't particularly want to watch it...

That may be true for the first FMP! series but The Second Raid is easily one of the best action scenes I've seen. Most people would probably agree.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 28, 2012 8:15 PM

Feb 2005
ne44to said:
I want for the characters in the anime not to know that he is mr.awesome and be in for a surprise when they find out.
Still, that's basically 80% of every episode of Hokuto no Ken :/

Also, depends on what about mecha it is that you dislike.
If you've got the really gritty and realistic like Votoms on the one hand and all out TTGL super robot on the other, FMP is pretty close to the "real robot" genre, while actually keeping a bit closer to the "real" part of it than most Gundam series.
Apr 28, 2012 9:17 PM
Feb 2012
^well I want the supporting characters much better developed than in Hokuto no Ken.. it took like half an episode for them to find out who he is. I want supporting characters introduced and developed for a long period of time.. quality>quantity.
e.g. code geass, darker than black basically took the whole series to reveal the protagonist for who he is.

Unfortunately I have not seen neither Votoms, nor any of Gundam series. I am a strong believer of "if it serves no purpose leave it the hell out". + mecha has been done to death. I sort of associate mecha with the show being childish.
Apr 28, 2012 9:23 PM

Apr 2012
I really liked Jio Freed in O Parts Hunter, I thought he was quiet unique, really matured and sacrificed alot for others. He was admirable for his quirky and outgoing personality, and inspiring for his passion to accomplish his biggest dream.
I hope that helped, it's a really good Manga too ^_^
Apr 28, 2012 9:31 PM

Feb 2005
ne44to said:
Unfortunately I have not seen neither Votoms, nor any of Gundam series. I am a strong believer of "if it serves no purpose leave it the hell out". + mecha has been done to death. I sort of associate mecha with the show being childish.
Well, at least Votoms would be worth a look then, both in terms of the thread's purpose and not being childish with silly beamspamming super units and all. Probably has the best mecha action scenes I've seen too, where tactical manoeuvring is more important than having some super unit with a big gun.
Apr 29, 2012 1:25 PM

Apr 2012
What about Bakemonogatari? The protagonist - Koyomi Araragi - is a half vampire and while he does get smacked around a fair bit he's a class act caracter and were he to get serious he'd do well. It's one of my all time favourites, it's oddly done and the interactions are so memorable I really want to write Arararagi or Araragi-kun rather than just Araragi. The characters make this anime and the art is weird and interesting.

In a way I'd recommend Hyouka, it's a new anime and I've only seen the first episode but he's so lazy he comes up with a somewhat elaborate plan to distract and deceive the lead heroine, just to avoid having to walk all the way to the music classroom. I like the look of it so far and I'm going to continue watching it.

Ao no Exorcist is a good recommendation in the sense that he has to keep his secret hidden, I was very disappointed that it was so short, I think it could have easily been a long lasting series like Naruto or Bleach. The ending was rushed as well, still a very good show and I'm planning on rewatching it myself.

Darker Than Black was an absolute masterpiece, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

I really thought that there were a lot of anime like that but I suppose it's not as common as I thought.
Hachikuji: Araragi-san, you don't look even the least bit apologetic. You should at least say something after touching a girl's delicate chest!
Araragi: *Clueless look* Thanks?

Bakemonogatari, Episode 5.
Apr 29, 2012 1:35 PM
Feb 2012
^it is probably because people aren't recommending bad ones / ones I have already seen. I have already seen Bakemonogatari (which was pretty damn good), as well as Ao no Exorcist. (Ao no Exorcist was mainstream crap imo).

I dismissed Hyouka for some reason... Hopefully it was a good one.
Apr 29, 2012 2:43 PM

Apr 2012
What was your reason for dismissing Hyouka, if you don't mind me asking.

I know where you're coming from about Ao no Exorcist but while I know it's mainstream, etc I still enjoyed it. I thought Rin had some character - albiet a fair few trite traits - and that it was interesting.

Out of curiosity have you been recommended any good ones?
JacobGrey93Apr 29, 2012 2:47 PM
Hachikuji: Araragi-san, you don't look even the least bit apologetic. You should at least say something after touching a girl's delicate chest!
Araragi: *Clueless look* Thanks?

Bakemonogatari, Episode 5.
Apr 29, 2012 3:25 PM
Feb 2012
^oh Hyouka is ongoing. (I just remembered looking at the pic, so decided I dismissed it). I'll consider watching it after it has finished airing. You can try Great Teacher Onizuka, and One Outs (go to my profile, click shared, click unique to ne44to, and hit sort by score). If you want to continue the discussion (i.e. not directly related to the original topic) post on my profile (not sure if I get notified though), or better yet pm me.
Apr 29, 2012 4:13 PM
Feb 2012
^oops I misread. I don't know if I have been recommended any good ones yet.
I only tried 2 thus far, the others I will eventually get to.
Apr 29, 2012 5:09 PM

Apr 2011
Angel Beats! /not

On a more serious note;
Kurozuka.
Apr 29, 2012 5:37 PM

Nov 2009
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou

Sai is a boss!! =)

More topics from this board

» ntr doujin?

3hitcombo - 39 minutes ago

0 by 3hitcombo »»
39 minutes ago

» doujin recommendation

3hitcombo - 55 minutes ago

0 by 3hitcombo »»
55 minutes ago

» Series with cute clothing and art style?

StrawberryBlxxd - Apr 16

14 by mo_lave »»
56 minutes ago

» Help finding a Manga

mikemike25251 - 3 hours ago

0 by mikemike25251 »»
3 hours ago

» Best mystery/detective series I haven't seen yet?

Curlybrace101 - Apr 4

10 by boguda »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.