Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 14, 2008 6:25 AM
Sep 2008
Huge fan of Greek/Norse Mythology here. So I wanted to find out if there are any manga that has either Greek or Norse setting besides than Ragnarok/Saint Seiya.
Sep 14, 2008 10:10 AM

Dec 2007
Vinland Saga
Valkyrie Profile

Sep 14, 2008 11:17 AM

Feb 2005
I wold have suggested Vinland Saga, but since it's already mentioned, I can't think of anything in particular. Countless series draw some inspiration form either of those mythologies, be it names, terms or ideas, but relatively few can be said to be based on them...
Sep 14, 2008 2:16 PM
Jun 2008
Atlantis plays a role in the background story of the Escaflowne TV series, and a few scenes occur there. But it's a somewhat stylized version of Atlantis, which may not match descriptions of Atlantis found in classical mythology.

EDIT: Oops, I missed that you were asking for manga... not sure if the Escaflowne manga includes Atlantis or not.
richfamSep 14, 2008 2:19 PM
Sep 14, 2008 4:29 PM

Mar 2008
edit: -nvm-
Sep 14, 2008 7:09 PM

Jul 2008
only can say fate stay night but it has very little
Sep 16, 2008 1:46 AM

Aug 2008
u should try historie , ancient greece setting
Sep 16, 2008 4:56 AM

Dec 2007
Edit, just to clarify: Some of this list is more "based upon or references frequently" rather than "actual setting"

Norsewise:
Oh my Goddess!
Matantei Loki and Matantei Loki Ragnarok
Valkyrie Profile manga (based on the game) should be based on norse mythology by default. Quite a few of them have been scanlated so you stand a good chance of finding them.
Akai Tsurugi (The Scarlet Sword) by Ryo Azumi (Although its not on MAL, and BakaUpdates doesn't have any scanlations listed so that might not be so easy. The first link has a transcript for an exerpt that can be read on the mangakas website though)
Shishi no gotoku (Like the Lion) from the same author is about this guy according to the wikipedia page on Ryo Azumi. I'd never heard of it though :(
Harlock Saga: Nibelung No Yubiwa by Leiji Matsumoto. More info on wiki although that also talks about the OVA series.
Der Ring des Nibelungen by Riyoko Ikeda (of Rose of Versailles fame) ... although again, I can't seem to find much info about it past the cover pictures I'd already seen (YesAsia would show you them, at least) x_x

Greekwise: thats harder :|
Sharkall already mentioned Historie, but I'll second it.
Past that, the only one I can think of at the moment is the manhwa Legend of Nereid.
EphidelSep 17, 2008 5:04 AM
Sep 16, 2008 11:27 AM

Feb 2005
OMG only has some terms and names no? At least, from what little I have bothered to watch of it, I only saw the names of the Norns and such.
Sep 17, 2008 5:02 AM

Dec 2007
For the most part, I think it is just name referencing, yes.
I am, however, sure I've read certain chapters/stories within it where the mythology comes into play far more than in the others. Unfortunately all my old dark horse omg volumes are boxed up so I can't check for specifics :(

More topics from this board

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

11 by windyshadow »»
4 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Yesterday

1 by Zarutaku »»
5 hours ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
7 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

71 by rikkaheh »»
11 hours ago

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - Yesterday

2 by Snailsoup »»
Yesterday, 8:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.