MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Apr 16 - 22
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» News Discussion »» Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Apr 16 - 22

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
04-24-12, 1:29 PM

jmal said:
phoenixalia said:
so....you're verdict for this season is not so good other than haiyore and saki??

Well, no, I'm not sure I understand why you think that based on what I said. And my main verdict is that it's way way too early to have a verdict.

But based purely on the super preliminary and likely highly misleading early data we have now, Nyaruko-san and Eureka Seven AO are doing the best at the moment, and Hyouka, Accel, Jormungand and Saki are all also doing pretty okay (within the top 300) at the moment. Everything could be completely different three weeks from now.

So once again, trying to predict best sellers a couple weeks into a new season is basically impossible. It's far too early. Too much can change as more episodes air and more shows get solicited.

Sorry, you're right I missed the main point. So things can change as more episodes are aired? Interesting.

So the best time to look the Stalker Ranks are perhaps a month from release?

Also, regarding one cour and two cour shows...why did you say Hyouka might struggle? Is it because its a 2 cour show?
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!

04-24-12, 1:37 PM

Watupfoo said:
phoenixalia said:
jmal said:
phoenixalia said:
I see. Ok, I sort of get an idea now. So which ones do you think will be the top sellers for Spring? Haiyore, Accel Word and Queen's Blade?

Well, if AKB0048 is smart it'll bundle exclusive AKB48 singles in all of the LE BDs and then AKB otaku will drive its sales through the roof. It could easily be the best selling show of the season if the anime production committee successfully connects it to the larger AKB fanbase. But that's far from guaranteed.

The only obvious stand-out so far is Haiyore! Nyaruko-san. Eureka Seven AO has the second best performance overall, so far. Accel World is doing ok, but mostly because of a rush of orders when it was first solicited.

Titles ranking consistently in the top 300 besides AO and Nyaruko are the above-mentioned Accel World, as well as Hyouka, Jormungand and Saki Achiga-hen. I expect Hyouka being 11 volumes to really hurt it though, so I don't think it'll end up a top seller unless it really really blows people away.

Most shows are bouncing all over the place right now since it's so early in the season. Some shows aren't solicited at all yet.

so....you're verdict for this season is not so good other than haiyore and saki??

its true that the AKB otaku would buy the anime though. funny since I didn't know them before I saw it on CNN.

so things are not looking good for Hiiro? that's sad. fujoshi hardly get anything and considering hiiro is a popular franchise I thought it would sell well.

jmal never said that, all he did was give you his predictions, things might change in the future, so yeah.

P,S i don't remember hiiro being a popular franchise, i could be wrong though, i've seen popular game's adaptions selling low (Majikoi for example) and vice-versa, anything is possible within the otaku world.

Well, I was presuming since most of the Hiiro Vids on youtube have like 500,00 view or at least 90,000 views.

Not to mention its spawned 3 sequels, and I've heard a 4th is coming, not to mention fandisks....I presumed with that. I know nothing about Maji Koi so I can't comment.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!

04-24-12, 1:38 PM

phoenixalia said:
So things can change as more episodes are aired? Interesting.

Well, yeah, I mean, we should remember that behind all these data points are real people like you and me who are trying to decide what shows to buy.

Personally, I'll probably end up importing at least five, maybe six shows this season. Saki is a lock because it's amazing so far and I love the original. Hyouka seems like a lock because episode 1 was fantastic and I love everything KyoAni has ever done.

But besides those? I am far from decided. The only way I can decide is to watch more and see what I end up liking the best. Not many people decide on their purchases after just a few episodes. You often see a spike in preorder ranking right before release, because a lo of people only order at the last moment. I probably won't make my decisions until late May so I can put my June orders in on time (unless something I want to buy comes out in May).

So the best time to look the Stalker Ranks are perhaps a month from release?

More or less, maybe closer.

Also, regarding one cour and two cour shows...why did you say Hyouka might struggle? Is it because its a 2 cour show?

Not because it's two cour but because it's 11 discs for 21 (22 with bonus ep no doubt) episodes. Kadokawa is the distributor and they're infamous for their outrageous prices. They're the ones who put Nichijou on 13 discs and Gosick on 12 too, among others.

Otaku are willing to pay a lot, but 11-13 volume releases for 2 cour shows really start to annoy people (most shows that air two cour in a row are 8 or 9 discs). Not just importers, but there are plenty of negative comments on Japanese anime blogs for this kind of release as well as negative comments about Kadokawa. I know it annoys me too, and if we were talking about a lesser show, this would be enough to make me pass. I rather like Sengoku Collection after the first two episodes, for example, but it's 12 discs and there's no way I'm paying that much. I'll buy something else instead.

It won't outright kill the show's sales potential, but it'll definitely lower it. Of course, when you charge more you don't need to sell as much to make the same amount of money - but if you go too far and overcharge, you'll lose out. Kadokawa is always trying to play this game.
Modified by jmal, 04-24-12, 1:42 PM
Anime sales website at http://www.someanithing.com/

04-24-12, 1:57 PM

Watupfoo said:
phoenixalia said:
Watupfoo said:
phoenixalia said:
jmal said:
phoenixalia said:
I see. Ok, I sort of get an idea now. So which ones do you think will be the top sellers for Spring? Haiyore, Accel Word and Queen's Blade?

Well, if AKB0048 is smart it'll bundle exclusive AKB48 singles in all of the LE BDs and then AKB otaku will drive its sales through the roof. It could easily be the best selling show of the season if the anime production committee successfully connects it to the larger AKB fanbase. But that's far from guaranteed.

The only obvious stand-out so far is Haiyore! Nyaruko-san. Eureka Seven AO has the second best performance overall, so far. Accel World is doing ok, but mostly because of a rush of orders when it was first solicited.

Titles ranking consistently in the top 300 besides AO and Nyaruko are the above-mentioned Accel World, as well as Hyouka, Jormungand and Saki Achiga-hen. I expect Hyouka being 11 volumes to really hurt it though, so I don't think it'll end up a top seller unless it really really blows people away.

Most shows are bouncing all over the place right now since it's so early in the season. Some shows aren't solicited at all yet.

its true that the AKB otaku would buy the anime though. funny since I didn't know them before I saw it on CNN.

so things are not looking good for Hiiro? that's sad. fujoshi hardly get anything and considering hiiro is a popular franchise I thought it would sell well.

jmal never said that, all he did was give you his predictions, things might change in the future, so yeah.

P,S i don't remember hiiro being a popular franchise, i could be wrong though, i've seen popular game's adaptions selling low (Majikoi for example) and vice-versa, anything is possible within the otaku world.

Well, I was presuming since most of the Hiiro Vids on youtube have like 500,00 view or at least 90,000 views.

Not to mention its spawned 3 sequels, and I've heard a 4th is coming, not to mention fandisks....I presumed with that. I know nothing about Maji Koi so I can't comment.

I don't think youtube has anything to do with deciding a series popularity, the openings of some of the least popular series get 500k+ views, but that's beside the point, i'm always lurking around Siliconera and Getchu and never heard or seen anything related to Hiiro or something similar, fandisks and stuff don't really show the popularity of a game, they're like OVA's, and many non-popular animes have just those ;p
as for Majikoi, according to Getchu, it placed first in 2009's top selling eroge games.
but the adaption didn't sell well.

funny, I first saw Hiiro on Siliconera. And the vids I'm talking about are tribute vids of the characters and drama CDs. I never knew about Maji Koi until I saw the anime either. LOL!

still for otomate to have made 3-4 sequels, not to mention been released in PSP, PS2 and DS for most of em, I think its good. And otomate is the one who brought out hakuouki.

and what? 2009's top selling eroge and it sold so little? Japanese otaku really confuse me.

04-24-12, 2:19 PM

Watupfoo said:
phoenixalia said:
Watupfoo said:
phoenixalia said:
Watupfoo said:
phoenixalia said:
jmal said:
phoenixalia said:

I don't think youtube has anything to do with deciding a series popularity, the openings of some of the least popular series get 500k+ views, but that's beside the point, i'm always lurking around Siliconera and Getchu and never heard or seen anything related to Hiiro or something similar, fandisks and stuff don't really show the popularity of a game, they're like OVA's, and many non-popular animes have just those ;p
as for Majikoi, according to Getchu, it placed first in 2009's top selling eroge games.
but the adaption didn't sell well.

funny, I first saw Hiiro on Siliconera. And the vids I'm talking about are tribute vids of the characters and drama CDs. I never knew about Maji Koi until I saw the anime either. LOL!

still for otomate to have made 3-4 sequels, not to mention been released in PSP, PS2 and DS for most of em, I think its good. And otomate is the one who brought out hakuouki.

and what? 2009's top selling eroge and it sold so little? Japanese otaku really confuse me.

really? guess i either missed it or the news were old, but like i said, Sequels and fandisk or the console they're on don't really mean anything, Idea factory is known for making Otome games and when they released Neptunia and Agarest of war (which are both "Moe girls" thingie) On PS3 only, they made the money they didn't even dream of making, see what i'm trying to get at?
It's not about how much fandisks or sequels/prequels a franchise has, it's about the fanbase and how well the project was received.

Edit: Yes, 2009's top selling eroge's adaption sold so low (it was a horrible adaption though) that's why i said it's unpredictable. and if i remember correctly, Majikoi had no fandisks at all, though it's getting a sequel (or it already did if i recall), so yeah.

then how does that explain why Maji Koi sold so little?Was the adaptation that bad? Or was it spectacular but not good sales?

also why make a seuqel for something that's not popular?

I could compare that to uta Pri or hakuouki which also have sequels and a prequel(hakuouki) and they sold magnificently.....I am confused.

04-24-12, 2:28 PM

*6, *1,978 *1,978 Chihayafuru vol.5
Yes. Just yes.

33, *2,004 **2,004 Acchi Kocchi "Acchi de Kocchi de"
It's cute. XD

And people should definitely check out Chihayafuru. One of my favorite animes. :)

04-24-12, 2:28 PM

Go Rinne no Lagrange go! And yay Un-Go as well!

04-24-12, 2:32 PM

Trim your quotes, guys! The quotes are getting to be 10x longer than the posts.

phoenixalia said:
then how does that explain why Maji Koi sold so little?Was the adaptation that bad? Or was it spectacular but not good sales?

It's not uncommon for popular franchises to sell poorly in anime form. Size of original media fanbase correlates only very loosely with an adaptation's success.

And it's normal for visual novel adaptations to sell poorly. The ones that sell well are what's unusual.

04-24-12, 2:38 PM

jmal said:
Watupfoo said:
I see, so it's based on a real idol group and a popular one at that huh?

While my exoertise in Japanese music outside of anisong and Vocaloid is almost nil, I do know that AKB48 is pretty much one of the top 10 or top 5 acts in all of Japan and their singles regularly sell more than a million copies.

Put another way, the AKB fanbase is vastly, vastly larger than almost anything else that's been made into an anime to date.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/16/these-were-the-30-best-selling-games-of-2011-in-japan/

If the sales of the AKB48 video game are any indication (350k... thats like twice the sales of Idolmaster), it could do some major sales. Especially if they market it right.

04-24-12, 4:16 PM

;_; Lag-Rin and Un-Go...

Luckily Lag-Rin is split cour, but I really wanted to see another season of Un-Go....

04-25-12, 9:54 PM

Very happy to see Chihayafuru in the list. I really hope for an second season. ♥

04-26-12, 11:57 AM

Watupfoo said:
Btw Nisemonogatari when?

Initial Oricon data comes out every Tuesday for the week prior. Nise went on sale yesterday so you'll see its sales on 5/01.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices