MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

is guilty crown really all that bad?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Guilty Crown »» is guilty crown really all that bad?

Pages (19) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
04-29-12, 6:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 1231
Oxy said:
I'm on episode 10 and I can't find any motivation to push on. I want to strangle Shin, and then push him of a god damn cliff.


Gets good after episode 13.
 
04-29-12, 6:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 290
Oxy said:
I want to strangle Shin, and then push him of a god damn cliff.

You mean Shu.
 
04-29-12, 7:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 79565
Oxy said:
I'm on episode 10 and I can't find any motivation to push on. I want to strangle Shin, and then push him of a god damn cliff.


I basically felt the same at that point while watching it.
But...I think it was good that I watched the episodes on a week-to-week basis.
The story gets better after the halfway point.
Plus, the overall soundtrack kept me motivated to watch this entire series (can often be a bad luring habit).
 
04-29-12, 8:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 1231
GalaxyStreakEVO said:
Oxy said:
I'm on episode 10 and I can't find any motivation to push on. I want to strangle Shin, and then push him of a god damn cliff.


I basically felt the same at that point while watching it.
But...I think it was good that I watched the episodes on a week-to-week basis.
The story gets better after the halfway point.
Plus, the overall soundtrack kept me motivated to watch this entire series (can often be a bad luring habit).


Yeah I personally didn't like the first 10 episodes because it was so generic that I dropped it for a month but when I got to episode 13 I was like oshit good anime and I marathoned it.
 
04-29-12, 8:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 290
Jpark said:
GalaxyStreakEVO said:
Oxy said:
I'm on episode 10 and I can't find any motivation to push on. I want to strangle Shin, and then push him of a god damn cliff.


I basically felt the same at that point while watching it.
But...I think it was good that I watched the episodes on a week-to-week basis.
The story gets better after the halfway point.
Plus, the overall soundtrack kept me motivated to watch this entire series (can often be a bad luring habit).


Yeah I personally didn't like the first 10 episodes because it was so generic that I dropped it for a month but when I got to episode 13 I was like oshit good anime and I marathoned it.

It still suffers the same problems from the first cour, put there are some interesting ideas put there that make it a bit more enjoyable.
However, if you are eager to get back to it, I should advise you not to put much thought about what follows and have low expectatives, since nothing changes the fact that it´s a "more flash than substance" show.

BTW, Jpark, you have the show in your PTW list instead of the Completed one, excuse the silly giggles XD
Modified by Karura_Jiinsaru, 04-29-12, 8:56 PM
 
04-29-12, 9:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 1231
^ I already finished it but I plan to rewatch it :P
 
04-29-12, 11:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 79565
^ Rewatch it? That's an interesting thought.
I would consider doing that too, but it's currently not at the top of my list.
Plus having some serious time constraints is often painful.
 
04-29-12, 11:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 600
It's worth watching i guess.
I like the first half of guilty crown but the plot twist destroys it and i really dislike the 2nd half episode 12-22.
Really,it have such potential but they decided to just focus more on the romance and rushed it imho.
 
04-30-12, 3:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 229
This series had potential.
It started out great.
It has great OST, character design, fighting scenes were meh.

But then Shu introduced himself as the common pathetic, unable-to-do-anything-by-himself protagonist. I have no idea how anyone could put up with someone like him.

Just watched episode 1, and he had already said the most pathetic lines which made me drop this series.




Dropped this series at episode 1.
123
 
04-30-12, 4:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 174
Homolust said:
my opinions > your opinions

That's all there is to this shitty thread.

so true
wakka9ca said:"The endless debate between fans and haters... is totaly pointless"

 
05-01-12, 10:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 290
BakaMatt said:
This series had potential.
It started out great.
It has great OST, character design, fighting scenes were meh.

But then Shu introduced himself as the common pathetic, unable-to-do-anything-by-himself protagonist. I have no idea how anyone could put up with someone like him.



Now being serious, I don´t think that having the wimpy archetype as the protagonist is always a bad idea. Everything lies in the execution and how they manage to make the character sympatethic enough as we wait for his development, of course!!
In Shu´s case, definitely wasn´t the brightest characterization, but the reason I can´t easily call him the worst protagonist of 2011 only puts in evidence that I can come up with at least a couple of examples that are equally bad (or even worse) than him. As a curious thing, he eventually becomes one of the few decent characters, specially near the end of the series...
Modified by Karura_Jiinsaru, 05-01-12, 10:57 AM
 
05-01-12, 11:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1452
My opinion is that it is an average series, not very good but also not the trainwreck everyone made it out to be.

The problem was that the expectations were way too high. The director from Death Note, the script writer from Code Geass, well-known artists producing the music and design, with production values through the roof AND airing on Noitamina over two seasons! It seemed like God's gift to anime fans!

Except that it wasn't quite that, heh.
 
05-01-12, 11:50 AM

Online
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 10459
Karura_Jiinsaru said:
BakaMatt said:
This series had potential.
It started out great.
It has great OST, character design, fighting scenes were meh.

But then Shu introduced himself as the common pathetic, unable-to-do-anything-by-himself protagonist. I have no idea how anyone could put up with someone like him.



Now being serious, I don´t think that having the wimpy archetype as the protagonist is always a bad idea. Everything lies in the execution and how they manage to make the character sympatethic enough as we wait for his development, of course!!
In Shu´s case, definitely wasn´t the brightest characterization, but the reason I can´t easily call him the worst protagonist of 2011 only puts in evidence that I can come up with at least a couple of examples that are equally bad (or even worse) than him. As a curious thing, he eventually becomes one of the few decent characters, specially near the end of the series...
lmao love the Mirai Nikki comment the best.
 
05-02-12, 2:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
I highly recommend watching Guilty Crown. Check out my review of GC to clear up the "crappy Code Geass rip-off" image it seems to have. While it certainly mirrors Code Geass in a few ways, that's as far as it goes. I don't see why people claim it to be a rip-off.
 
05-04-12, 9:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 111
Holy moly so much hate to this anime. Honestly i enjoyed guilty crown alot. Mainly because i like anything that sunrise puts out but also the story itself was pretty good. I did enjoy the main character alot and the romance he had with Inori. I am a huge sucker for romance animes.

The action was good too and the idea that he could use people's "Trueselfs" to fight.

The art was amazing too and the music did help alot as well.

So for the people who said the anime was shit, stop hatin, its not good for your health.




Side rant: Read in a earlier post someone saying Meloncholy of haruhi suzumiya was shit, he deserves a punch in the face.
 
05-05-12, 9:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 864
I barely had expectations for this show, but it’s just not right to say that it’s all the hype that’s at fault here. Because god forbid that it’s so wrong to ask for something to actually turn out good/decent right?

Guilty Crown has interesting and sometimes even great ideas. It’s just how it’s laid out, paced, and written that tends to be jarring at times that it often gives people that unintended “WTF” reaction. I don’t care if it’s “unoriginal” or "cliched", as long as it’s written well then maybe I’d actually give it some praise. I don't hate GC. I don't think it's terrible nor do I truly dislike it. I simply think that it has a fairly mediocre story despite the great animation and soudntrack. No more, no less.
Modified by ronri, 05-07-12, 7:37 PM
 
05-06-12, 1:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 3121
This show is truly a waste of time. (Please read my post to it's entirely, and I will actually explain WHY this is my opinion; not just "THIS SUCKS")

The thing is, the reason there is SUCH a negative backlash is that it LOOKS like it would be amazing.... phenomenal soundtrack, gorgeous visuals, and excellent voice acting...
so you would think with ALL of that you'd get something quality.


NO. no. no.


The storytelling is so god-awful that it negates all of those things. Characters pop in and out without reason, side story-lines begin and are never explained (or just fizzle out), the MAIN characters have such convoluted motives that they cease to make sense at all, and you eventually don't give a DAMN about them anyways.

How can you enjoy a show where you have invested 22eps, watching characters that have SUCH potential, become completely dull and lifeless.

To the original poster; it's your call. Yes there are people who join the bandwagon of hate, but the origin of the hate is justified. Someone who actually says this was a quality show that was "AWESOME!" is either: 1)trying to stand out by being the less vocalized minority, 2)they have a low scale when it comes to quality, 3)they are probably 12yrs old/easily entertained, or they haven't seen enough GOOD shows and can't tell the difference.

tl;dr, pass this up... there are MUCH better shows to fill your time with.
 
05-06-12, 2:35 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 2261
MusashiRose said:
This show is truly a waste of time. (Please read my post to it's entirely, and I will actually explain WHY this is my opinion; not just "THIS SUCKS")

The thing is, the reason there is SUCH a negative backlash is that it LOOKS like it would be amazing.... phenomenal soundtrack, gorgeous visuals, and excellent voice acting...
so you would think with ALL of that you'd get something quality.


NO. no. no.


The storytelling is so god-awful that it negates all of those things. Characters pop in and out without reason, side story-lines begin and are never explained (or just fizzle out), the MAIN characters have such convoluted motives that they cease to make sense at all, and you eventually don't give a DAMN about them anyways.

How can you enjoy a show where you have invested 22eps, watching characters that have SUCH potential, become completely dull and lifeless.

To the original poster; it's your call. Yes there are people who join the bandwagon of hate, but the origin of the hate is justified. Someone who actually says this was a quality show that was "AWESOME!" is either: 1)trying to stand out by being the less vocalized minority, 2)they have a low scale when it comes to quality, 3)they are probably 12yrs old/easily entertained, or they haven't seen enough GOOD shows and can't tell the difference.

tl;dr, pass this up... there are MUCH better shows to fill your time with.


True. I would shock IF it's left unexplained/unexpected from most of the episodes unless they could explain few things in the upcoming Lost Christmas game.

I mean It's ashamed that this show didn't explain everything very well till it gets me scratches my head all day. Mood killer much?
Modified by MohdJeffreyZin, 05-06-12, 2:42 AM
 
05-06-12, 10:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 4891
Gigarit said:
Holy moly so much hate to this anime. Honestly i enjoyed guilty crown alot. Mainly because i like anything that sunrise puts out but also the story itself was pretty good.


You can't even get the studio right, you prick. If you're unable to even attain even such basic information, I somehow doubt you are qualified to lecture people in this thread.
And you have a FF13 avatar which pretty much explains a whole lot about your standards....

Syphilis said:
I highly recommend watching Guilty Crown. Check out my review of GC to clear up the "crappy Code Geass rip-off" image it seems to have. While it certainly mirrors Code Geass in a few ways, that's as far as it goes. I don't see why people claim it to be a rip-off.


Attention whoring and showing off an abyssmal amount of watched anime is probably not the right way to promote your review as a serious help for potential new watchers.
Modified by Nidhoeggr, 05-06-12, 10:53 AM
 
05-06-12, 2:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 21
If you enjoy watching beautiful animation and art style go watch it. The OST is also well done, other than that don't watch it unless you have time.

One of the main reason there's so many haters is that GC has set the bar too high for itself to live up to its own hype. The first couple episodes are breathtaking with refreshing and beautiful animation, and a distinct art style and direction with a very interesting plot. The anime then completely went downhill following with disappointments among fans (read: haters) once the plot is revealed and how 1 dimensional the character is.

Spoilers ahead

Shu is your typical guy who can't make up his mind and thinks that he's on a emotion roller coaster when he's not, also when he's on the verge of dying, he suddenly made up his mind and is stronger than ever.

Gai is your typical leader; good looking, smart, strong. Whilst the character growth of Gai itself is good on paper (starts out good, then turn bad for a greater cause), it's because it has been done a lot of times (feels cliche, overused and old) and 22 episodes is NOT sufficient to do this (Code Geass has 50 episodes which tries to convince you that Lelouch is a bad guy. Naruto, despite the haters, Itachi is one of the most developed character in any anime and again, it requires time to develop these kind of character growth).

Then you have your typical Shu's "friends" that hate/love Shu because of his new power and hence pointless dramas are created.

I'm not gonna comment on Inori because the only reason she existed in the series itself is for Shu.

The only well developed character in this series Haruka Ouma.

Overall I give the anime 7/10 because of the animation and OST itself and how well done the first couple episodes was.
Modified by Fritsc, 05-06-12, 2:44 PM
 
Top
Pages (19) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices