Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2008 11:14 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Having a pirate sword battle.... in a sci-fi Anime? How.... different. o_o

And does Albert have to blush every 10 seconds and then turn ferocious a few seconds later? He acts too girl-y for my tastes. =/

Nothing else about this episode really struck me as too interesting. >.>

Sig WILL change soon~
Apr 7, 2009 2:05 AM

Jan 2009
I wonder wtf is the Count thinking. I dunno if sympathize with him or just shoot him on the head. Anyway yeah, Albert is too fucking pussy sometimes, is not the pirate fight on a sci-fi anime, what else could you have done if you were engaged on a fight and the only weapon is a sword? ... obviusly to fight with it.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Sep 22, 2009 5:20 PM

Jul 2008
I'm really not fond of Albert. He's really naïve, hopefully he will grow out of it.
StabbyPWNS said:
And does Albert have to blush every 10 seconds and then turn ferocious a few seconds later? He acts too girl-y for my tastes. =/
Albert wants to be a tsundere? /shot

BEGINNER
Mar 16, 2010 8:46 PM

Feb 2010
Yeah, Albert is kinda being a little pussy. His Mother, Mercédès Morcerf, is GORGEOUS!

Although this episode didn't give us too much info, it is definitely leading up to something....
Apr 4, 2010 9:39 PM

Nov 2007
This episode was ... weird @_@ I found the exchange between Albert and the soldier hilarious for some reason, "Take it back" "I can't" x 10000 @_@
Jun 12, 2010 10:25 AM

Apr 2009
meh the fight was kinda retarded.. and the reason also..
way too fastpaced..

now they were talking, and the next second they were yelling lol
Jan 25, 2011 4:55 PM

Dec 2008
Oh my goddess, that Count is just beautiful!! I don't care if he's blue, with one green eye and one red eye and pointy ears...I'd TOTALLY date him!!
Feb 26, 2011 5:41 PM

Sep 2010
Villetta_Nu said:
Oh my goddess, that Count is just beautiful!! I don't care if he's blue, with one green eye and one red eye and pointy ears...I'd TOTALLY date him!!

This makes me laugh! Too funny!

Mar 29, 2011 7:27 PM

Feb 2010
Alright, I knew it was Haydee
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Mar 28, 2012 11:12 PM

May 2010
Okay the count is obviously evil and that maid needs to die.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 12, 2012 4:52 PM

Nov 2011
Dat duel with the pirate.

It was a nice episode with the soundtrack mixed in although I find the ending of the duel in which Albert tried to take a cheap shot kinda lame.
Oct 19, 2012 8:09 AM

Mar 2010
the dialogue in this anime is amazing
well lets see how it goes and what plans the count has :]
Oct 19, 2012 8:23 AM

Apr 2012
Haydee <3!
A chick like that is just what was missing in Mononoke.

Nice count-cave btw. I say this every ep, but they really did a handsome work with the textures and colors. It makes me want to keep hitting pause and just stare at the thing, but I tried and it's bad for the narration...
Dec 13, 2012 2:37 PM

May 2012
Decent episode, quite weird take on some points but still nice, I still wonder what relation the count and his mother have but yea lets see what's next!
Dec 29, 2012 12:50 AM
Oct 2012
Funny duel...
Jul 5, 2013 9:15 AM

Mar 2013
I have the feeling this show is going to end sad...
Aug 10, 2013 3:39 PM

Jan 2012
Me too.
Theory
Nov 2, 2013 2:14 AM

Mar 2012
xxshiawase said:

Yep, has the feeling of a tragedy.
Mar 14, 2014 7:10 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching)

Swordfight! Arr matey! Albert doesn't want to believe his parents didn't marry for love.
Mar 31, 2014 5:15 AM

Jan 2013
Decent episode.
Albert, grow up son *sigh*
3.5/5
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 30, 2014 11:12 PM
Oct 2011
Confucius said:
Okay the count is obviously evil and that maid needs to die.
Is he?

OT:
Oh Japan, turning Eugene into a childhood friend. Which is actually not weird knowing that Danglars and Morcerf know each other for a long time now. hmm. It's kinda a weird Japanization that actually works. Well, w/e.

lol @ Ali becoming an alien and Haydee becoming a doll

Good episode. They're doing a fine job fleshing things out so far.
Apr 17, 2015 11:08 AM

Jun 2012
Can Albert like, not be such a fuck head in every scene.
Jul 27, 2015 5:46 AM

Jan 2014
Albert looks like the perfect character for a yaoi :3
Jul 27, 2015 5:51 AM

Oct 2013
The reason for that fight was dumb, but I have to remember that it makes sense in the setting of the anime.

I don't understand the hate Albert is getting, tbh. He seems fine to me. And hey, he's the only one who likes the Count, so he deserves points for that if nothing else... right?

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 17, 2015 12:31 PM

Jul 2013
(watched yesterday and came on here but forgot to add it! D:)

I thought it was great, very fun sword fight scene although ended weird. The Count saved him from the maybe or maybe not dream. Don't confuse me man lol.

Lol yeah Albert would be perfect for yaoi lol.
Oct 6, 2015 12:34 AM

Apr 2014
Lol they sailed into Alice in Wonderland. ...or Coraline.

Albert just accepts that he has slaves so casually. :/

That fight escalated so unnaturally quickly, it was happening in two blinks.

I think Albert's fiance likes him.
Oct 24, 2015 10:34 AM
May 2012
Albert is like a fucking kid.
Avenger-senpai said:
xxshiawase said:

Yep, has the feeling of a tragedy.

Most likely.
Jan 9, 2016 1:24 AM

Jan 2013
A bit of mind influence.
Fairly good episode, nothing amazing yet.
Jun 11, 2016 11:21 AM

Feb 2016
This episode was quite different from the rest - it wasn't as calm. The events came suddenly and albert as well as maximilian were getting too passionate about their opinions. This reaction was kind of unexpected and also felt kind of wrong since we aren't too familiar with their general opinions on life yet. The count on the other hand seems to provoke these kind of events.

The dialogue between the count and albert in the cave was really deep and I'm liking the way the count refers to relationships etc.
Dec 15, 2016 5:07 PM

Jun 2013
Holy crap, that scene with the argument and the duel between Albert and Max was so frustrating! It was like the creators took the base level of cheesiness and suddenly turned it up to 110. I know it was kind of important because it showed how the Count is able to manipulate the emotions of people, but it just kept going on and on. I hope scenes like that won't come up again.

Oh, and Albert doesn't irritate me because he "acts too girly". That sort of thing wouldn't be a problem for me, anyway. Heck, if his character were a girl, I would find her annoying, too.

Those "doll" characters also annoyed me. Especially the girl, and how she's just glad to be useful. I really hope these dolls are in the story for a legit reason, because I don't like this whole servitude without a question concept.

In my experience, this show is just not very good at organic exposition. Either everything is explained way too fast, or it's beaten into my skull three times. For example, it wasn't enough that the count revealed info about Haydee to Albert. No, Albert just had to have her tell him the same thing again because he's that dense.

On the positive side, there were a lot of beautiful shots in this episode, and the rest of the episode was more to my taste. The cheesefest in the middle at least made me appreciate the art even more.

I also liked how the Count compared his heart to his castle. I'm not sure why he identified their meeting as the work of fate. Maybe he had planned everything so he and Albert would meet on the Moon for the first time exactly as they did.
LeeTailorDec 15, 2016 5:29 PM
Feb 20, 2017 1:35 PM

Mar 2015
Yeh the Count's got these people in his pocket
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 2, 2017 7:54 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
I don't find Albert too annoying. More like pitiful.
The maid is the one that is annoying me.

And so far, I'm not really into this anime yet. For now I am kind of confused where this drama is heading and all of these scenes that feel almost random.
Aug 4, 2017 5:49 AM

Feb 2013
Albert is acting like a spoiled brat.
Sep 5, 2018 10:59 AM

Apr 2014
i mean, albert was raised by spoiled brats, so the only life he knows is to be a spoiled brat

but yeah, he's a prick
Nov 14, 2018 5:37 AM

Aug 2016
Compared to how amazing the previous four episodes was, this was pretty weak, shit happened way too quickly, especially Albert's change of mood. However, I like how things were set up, Albert's mom clearly has some deal with the Count and maybe his relationship with Eugene will develop.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Feb 3, 2019 5:13 PM
Feb 2019

Poor maximilien who has discovered that his loved valentine has a fiancé.
Feb 4, 2019 10:22 AM

May 2016
A lovely little boatride in the Count's little abode went sour when they started discussing about the superficiality of aristocratic marriages when Albert kept wondering why Haidee's happy having that kind of relationship with the Count. Maximilien's pissed off that Valentine's going to be wedded off to someone who doesn't love her and will just run off with his just as uncaring friends on luxurious excursions and ended up generalizing the French aristocracy while he's at it. Max and Valentine could go have an affair and Franz probably won't give a damn but everyone else will definitely make things a lot more complicated if they did. Albert wants to completely deny Max's claims but all he could do was to pretend that he doesn't think its true even if the possibility of his mother's heart being in another place is quite high given how she's been acting as of late. I would've figured that a duel over that would be so 4000 years ago but they have that much time to spend it like that apparently. The Count must be revelling in all this "Albert's no product of love" business, I must say~

Things got carried away but the Count saved him and shared a little more info about himself. It looks like his previous relationship wasn't meant to be because of his inability to express human emotions as naturally as a real human would or his inability to continue on his legacy (not like there's any need for that because he's immortal and all but those nights in bed must've been very cold for her).

The whole incident got him questioning his own relationship with Eugenie but he stormed off when his mother who didn't do anything to help ward off his suspicions came in. I hope that he at least tries to be a better man for his fianceé.

May 24, 2020 10:52 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
I liked this episode a lot. I felt it did a job fleshing out some characters like Maxamillion and is love for Franz Fiancé. At first I was finding Albert to be very whiny but I think that it’s natural for someone to act the way he does. The world he thought he was living in drastically changing or maybe just straight up being shattered. Also, the back drops in this show is Beautiful especially in the garden it’s so colorful.
Aug 23, 2020 9:08 AM

May 2016
The spoiled brat keeps getting bullied by hardcore reality.
Count Monte Cristo sure makes more interested in the show.

Eugine deserves a better Fiance.
Sep 22, 2021 7:20 AM

Aug 2020
So far, not much to say. I'm still waiting for that episode where it fully captivates the views.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Mar 29, 2022 12:07 PM

May 2021
A battle between Maximillian and Albert originating from whether or not aristocrats love their fiancees. There is a high chance his mother loved the Count but because of political and social reasons, had to marry someone else. So that's the revenge, I suppose.

Apr 24, 2022 1:53 PM
Nov 2020
MC SUCK! still waiting for character development.
Sep 2, 2022 1:58 AM

Jun 2020
What a masterpiece. The dialogue is phenomenal, so is the directing. The art is, needless to say, brilliant and artistic. I love where this is going. I do not know what makes me like this series this much, but well I do. So here I am. Let's see how this progresses.
Monkey_BusinessSep 2, 2022 2:32 AM

Feb 13, 2023 5:27 PM

Jul 2020
I am having a dreamy vibes watching this anime. I'm digging it.
My Candies:
Aug 22, 2023 2:56 PM
Aug 2022
I wouldnt watch this boring ass story of bored socialites if it werent for the animation. Dumas my ass, I couldnt even finished long ass 3 musketeers, let alone Monte Cristo. 
I'm a simpleton who couldnt turn my eyes away. Animation is just brilliant.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

173 by stationry »»
Apr 19, 9:36 AM

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.