Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Poll: Ozuma Episode 6 Discussion

Apr 22, 2012 3:35 AM

Hoshimaru57 said:

This is a reminder of the past, and I think it should be honored as such.

Not really. There are a lot of great older anime out that that should definitely be honored but I don't think this half baked mess deserves more respect because it was made in an older style. Unless you're telling me poor character development and shitty plotting were hallmarks of anime 40 years ago.

The only thing I will give this credit for was the art style. The retro character designs were refreshingly different but the limited budget did make for some dodgy animation at some points. If the story and characters had been better I wouldn't knock the animation but as it is I was often bored with the flat characters following the paint by numbers plot.

Now if you want to argue about the plot seeming cliche because of the older style then I have to say that it wouldn't have hurt to give the anime something unique other than it's interesting setting. Just because it might have been made in a certain style doesn't mean you have to let it constrain the creativity. Ozuma could been something that bridged the gap between older and newer anime.

A lot of new anime are cliche ridden messes as well. It's not like that problem is unique or anything so you can't really blame that all on the style.

Apr 22, 2012 4:53 AM

Nothing special, artstyle was nice but story was disappointing. 5/10
I think it would work better as ~2h movie than 6 episode series.

Apr 22, 2012 5:15 AM

9/10
great show - I liked it
no stupid fillers, nice characters and setting (ok Dune-like but I don't mind)
and of course that old-school feel in it. Nice to see something different.

Apr 22, 2012 5:25 AM

Decent show with cool captains. Sadly, the other characters weren't really likeable/didn't stand out. The design was great, but somehow, it doesn't really fit today, or the animators did a lousy job. I love Leiji's design, but it didn't look that good here. The biggest problem is the episode count. It's like Gundam F91, trying to fit a 50ep story into 2h, except that F91 was great. Nevertheless, Ozma was pretty enjoying, but it's one of "wasted potential" shows. 6/10

About Dick's kamikaze run, he did it because he wanted to die as himself, and not as Gide who would probably take over some day. At least that's what he was implying.

Apr 22, 2012 6:30 AM

Space Magic! Space Magic Everywhere!

It was ridiculous and embarrassing.

It means that Maya's people created a human model with perfect DNA to be immortal. Ok, and their goal was to be the superior race on the planet? Ok, but humanity is already not?

Then they destroyed the nature of the planet to be the superior race, or at least let it die.
Ozma was created many centuries ago to save samples of nature. Okay, and what for?

How the human race can be superior living in a barren planet? This is impossible! It makes no sense! Humanity NEED nature to survive, and the best way to show their superiority is taming nature, not living alone on the planet!

In the end through Sam, Maya saw that humanity was strong and could survive? Oh please, this is ridiculous because humanity shows their strong precisely adapting to any environment.

And coming back to Ideal Children, if they are so superior, why have begun to use the bodies of ordinary humans? This contradicts all ideas of them.

Totally contradictory.

Apr 22, 2012 7:37 AM

Huh? It's over...OK. Well I daresay it's a fitting Earth Day tribute somehow. It was short 6 episodes but I'll agree with anyone that an hour and a half movie adaptation would have sufficed or better than a stretching it to 6-episode series. Bainas was OK I guess, Maya was still mysterious until the end, Sam was annoying, and Mimay was an unknown like the rest of the crew and the the Ideal Children. 6/10 since I still enjoyed the sand submarine battles midway through the series.
Nothing is an absolute reality, all is permitted.

Apr 22, 2012 9:34 AM

8/10 was short but i liked the way it was set out maybe it could of been longer but i liked it how it was.. the art style was great and the plot was ok...

Apr 22, 2012 10:19 AM

Woah, this episode was quite the epitome of bullshit.

Also, Diiiiiiiiiiick.

That is all.

Apr 22, 2012 4:15 PM

First of all, WOULD YA STOP YELLING "MAYA" YOU ANNOYING JERK?!
*phew*
Seriously, I wasn't this ticked off since "Toola!".

Oh and we get to see some clone girl x mechanical whale action. Wicked.
The button not working scene was hilariously anticlimactic.
Capitan is awesome, but only when she's not being emo.
And Dick goes kamikaze for whatever the reason.

Dune was better.

Apr 23, 2012 7:34 PM

Not bad...

Apr 24, 2012 6:38 AM

As I tought before watching it, 6 episodes were too few to develop the story and characters. However, it wasn't bad at all.

What I have, I need to blame is the art. It was terrible so many times... At least, this episode was better than the others. On the other hand, Ozuma's music was quite good. I'll pay attention in order to download it.

5 or 6.

Apr 25, 2012 7:39 PM

Stark700 said:
I gave it a 5/10
Marius2005 said:
It barely scrapes a 5 out of 10
kashim said:
5/10 overall
MusashiRose said:
5/10
27CansOfTuna said:
Overall a 5 / 10
Laevantein said:
5/10
bastek66 said:
5/10

You are clichéd.
"Si empleas demasiado tiempo haciendo cosas que no te gustan para nada, eres un tonto."

Apr 25, 2012 7:43 PM

I agree with everyone else. The art wasn't the problem, it was the rushed story and the lack of episodes. It had potential and was executed horribly. It's really too bad but w/e. On to the next show.

Apr 26, 2012 9:56 AM

This anime is way to short. The final episode was to awkward. I thought I was being harsh at giving a 5/10 but it seems a lot of you also agree lol.

Apr 26, 2012 1:20 PM

8/10 Sure it lacked character development and was cliched as hell but this series has a heart.Heart apparently forgotten by a lot of anime fans today.

Apr 26, 2012 10:56 PM

Kyobotte said:
Stark700 said:
I gave it a 5/10
Marius2005 said:
kashim said:
5/10 overall
MusashiRose said:
5/10
27CansOfTuna said:
Overall a 5 / 10
Laevantein said:
5/10
bastek66 said:
5/10

You are clichéd.

I was the 3rd post to say that... but regardless... even if I was 4638726434th person... it is how it should be ranked.
Maybe this is how people voted because 5/10 ="average" and this show was average in every way.

THANK GOD you're here to give it a 6/10 and shake things up.
Modified by MusashiRose, Apr 26, 2012 11:04 PM

Apr 27, 2012 12:23 PM

Well it wasn't a bad anime, story could have been developed a little more but I liked it anyways, the ending was decent.

Apr 27, 2012 8:41 PM

This was pretty good.

8/10

The two notable flaws to me were bits of the dialogue just not fitting and the 2deep4unatureisbestlol morale of the story.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I thought the characters were decently developed. I don't need 20 episodes of filler that explores each characters past just to deem that a character has depth.

I felt like there was plenty of material left unexplored and that's a plus to me. Having a story not hold my hand and reveal every single detail on every single faction, character, and environment is a breath of fresh air.

Apr 29, 2012 4:41 AM

3/10.

That is all.

Apr 29, 2012 5:15 AM

MusashiRose said:
Kyobotte said:
Stark700 said:
I gave it a 5/10
Marius2005 said:
kashim said:
5/10 overall
MusashiRose said:
5/10
27CansOfTuna said:
Overall a 5 / 10
Laevantein said:
5/10
bastek66 said:
5/10

You are clichéd.

I was the 3rd post to say that... but regardless... even if I was 4638726434th person... it is how it should be ranked.
Maybe this is how people voted because 5/10 ="average" and this show was average in every way.

THANK GOD you're here to give it a 6/10 and shake things up.
Average in every way? My picture of average is way more positive, this anime is way below an average.

May 2, 2012 6:10 AM

A Machine Whale was slightly disappointing, the background of the entire episode was beautiful.
The ending with Bainas x Dick was nice.
It was OK overall.

May 5, 2012 7:20 AM

what a lame ending!

liked the Zone though, really pretty

May 5, 2012 4:16 PM

I finished watching this and.... I DON'T KNOW. The ideas behind it were brilliant, but with only 6 episodes... it lacked in pretty much every area. I think if this anime had been the standard 26 it could have been one of my favorite series. Seriously. The ideas were that great... but zero depth was able to be displayed in the amount of time given. They weren't able to make me give a fuck about, well, anything that was happening. And the "big revealed" in episode 5 was so obvious..... I don't know. I am sad that this anime was a waste of a great idea but........ oh well.

May 9, 2012 3:51 AM

great last episode, although the scene between bainas/dick was definitely more than a little over-dramatic - good anime, although not great - there was a lot of potential here, but six episodes was just to short to really develop the story properly...

May 11, 2012 9:54 AM

The End ?
And what is it ?
Not bad...
He is Dick...T____T

All in all, it's boring anime,
...good but some disappointing moments))
4/10

May 12, 2012 9:35 AM

Sad that this was only 6 episodes it could have been a hell of a whole lot better if it were 12~24 episodes.

6/10 I loved the character designs and OP/ED the story could have been simply amazing if it had more room to develop.

Bainas (sp?)/Dick is my OTP for this series I seriously teared up when she was begging him to open the door.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character thats for sure!"

May 13, 2012 1:25 PM

I'm just thinking, after reading all these responses, would having more than 6 episodes really make it better? How? By continual battles with the military? But all the gut-wrenching angst from each of the characters? By Sam continually disobeying the captains orders?

The whole point of the story is the repopulating of Earth. Anything more that would have been a distraction to the main storyline. We got enough flashbacks to know about Dick, Maya, the clones, etc.

I just gave it a 7/10 because of the old-school artwork and the beautiful art, both in the desert and Zone scenes. The story, cliched (how many times have we seen the "dead earth, destroyed by man" storyline?

We need to get all the WTFs we watched listed....please join and let the insanity reign!!!
WTF did I just watch? club

Join the Hibike! Euphonium Club.

May 20, 2012 12:16 AM

I've scored it 10 since 1st episode. I liked it the same way till this last episode.
Dick regained his memory a little, that's exactly what I wished for.
It was expected he'd go kill himself for others to survive.

Jun 13, 2012 2:14 PM

Throwing a bunch of nice ingredients and mixing them together wont make a fine meal. Same here, nice individual ideas, but it seemed horrible together. Not enough character development, lots of unanswered questions, and main characters are way too cliche.

Can a sandworm eat Sam now? please? pretty please?

Jun 13, 2012 7:23 PM

Well, I actually thought this was the best episode of the bunch. The last episode was pretty good too, but I thought the rest was dreadful; absolutely abysmal. I don't know though. The last episode kind of makes me think that maybe there was a good story in all of this mess afterall. Maybe someday, when I have the courage to rewatch it, I'll marathon it. It's only 6 episodes. I love shorter anime/shows. I think long-form anime is ridiculous unless it has an extremely good story or expansive setting/mythology. So this is actually the ideal length.

For now though, terrible first four episodes, mediocre to great ending... overall, 2/10

EDIT: oh yeah, just wanted to add. I thought Dick's death was beautifully directed and great use of the ending song in the scene as well.

Jun 20, 2012 3:44 AM

Roloko said:
Bainas (sp?)/Dick is my OTP for this series I seriously teared up when she was begging him to open the door.
Same here T_T
Even though the series was avarage at best, it had it's good moments also.

Jun 27, 2012 4:55 AM

This felt like a movie that would have been far better if it was longer because it felt rushed.

Jul 21, 2012 3:26 PM

Galaxy Express 999 is my favorite anime movie so I watched this because of Leiji's involvement and well, I actually dozed off a couple times watching this series. I didn't think it was bad necessarily, but it never rose beyond tolerable. So I gave it a 5/10.

And is it just me or is Sam one of the most annoying main characters in a while?

Jul 26, 2012 7:09 PM

Good plot, alot of potential, but the short length made everything feel forced, rushed, and full of cliches.
6/10 could be much more.

Aug 17, 2012 6:37 PM

Another good episode. Seems like the latter half was pretty decent :P
So Ozma has a whole bunch of new species and Maya sacrifices herself to populate a new world? That's ... interesting. Although I don't see how it still worked if Dick shot the weapon at it? Didn't expect him to come back; that was very surprising, although with Bainas asking him to open the door was just sad :(
The actual ending with greenery spreading everywhere was ... interesting, but the last shot with it growing vines and time passing was nice. ALSO THAT LAST SONG. Whoever did the BGM on this deserves massive kudos :P
So overall ... well, it was good? I mean, I don't exactly remember the first half but the last three episodes were pretty good. Sam was really annoying, but the awesome side characters were awesome. I LOVED the music, the art style kind of irked me but whatever. Although some things weren't really explained (like how the heck the Ozma thing worked ...) but it was actually ... pretty decent. 7/10

Apr 15, 2013 1:04 AM

Overall descent

Wasn't much of a story, don't look forward to watch it

Graphics and Voice acting aren't bad

Jun 18, 2014 2:45 PM

The people who animated this should've redone the character design and made it more modern. 80s animation style has so stony faces and almost no expressions at all. This was especially annoying with Maya, who had only about 30 seconds of dialog across all 6 episodes, yet she was one of the main characters and had propably the most screen time.

It was also very annoying how Ozma had different size in every scene. During the first few encounters it was gigantic, clearly kilometers in diameter. Then in the last episode it was propably around 100m long and 50m high. Same applies to that underground lake, which seemed a lot smaller before Ozma scene.

Oct 5, 2014 8:08 AM

Best thing about this show was the opening.

Dec 9, 2014 9:13 PM

well honestly u cant do to much to in six episodes so overall its a decent anime but so many things are unknown
feel free to check out my list and message me recommendations :)

Nov 22, 2015 4:10 PM

Magnificent ending if you ask me! Really loved the whole ending and the path up to that point! Really interesting setting, concept and the character development together with the pacing were superb! Really lovely 6 episode anime in general if you ask me.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]