Forum Settings
Forums

The Black Card system...totally useless? Discuss Within :)

New
Aug 27, 2007 2:01 AM

Aug 2007
Before reading on please note that this post and most likely other posts will contain spoilers for the Anime.

Basically what the title says. Discuss Opinions on whether or not the Black Card system is totally and completely useless...Haven't read the Manga so I don't know if it appears in there but discussions about the Anime only if you can ^^

My Opinion:
Totally, Completely and Utterly useless.

The Black Card is sent when a Claymore is approaching there limits, From what we've seen the process seems to be quite fast... Taking account of the time it takes to take the card out of the Sword, Notify your contact person, the time it would take them to find a Claymore or that specific Claymores Contact Person and THEN the time it would take the Claymore to reach your destination...

It all seems pretty pointless...If you haven't awoken in that long a time then let's face it, it aint happening...

Anyways that's just my Opinion ^^ someone might have some information i missed that will totally and completely change that :)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 27, 2007 3:54 AM

Oct 2006
I think it works a little differently. From the way things are explained in the beginning, as a Claymore continues to use and rely on her yoma powers, they become harder to control. So while the act of awakening is quick in the middle of a battle, a Claymore can sense that she's having a harder time controlling her powers as time goes by and make arrangements accordingly as long as she's not pushed into awakening in battle.

I suppose you could think of it like breaking a bone - it's something that happens quickly, but you're more prone to have it happen as you get older and weaker. So one recognizes this and acts accordingly. Likewise, when a Claymore realizes that she's becoming more and more prone to awakening, she sends out a black card so she can die as a human before she loses it.
Oct 18, 2007 12:21 PM

Sep 2007
I think Krelian explanation is correct but also was a good way to make the reader know about the true nature of the Claymores and a bit of what takes to be claymore.
Oct 18, 2007 12:58 PM

Apr 2007
Krelian is correct; the Black Card system was never designed to be used when immediate awakening is at hand. That's why a Claymore will plead with any nearby Claymore, no matter who it is, to kill them while they are still human and have not yet awakened.
Nov 17, 2007 10:19 AM

Jun 2007
The only fault of the system is it is based on an honour system. If another Claymore is relaying the black card to another, but does not do so (ie.: Ophelia being a bitch), it make never get to the intender receiver...
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Jan 24, 2008 8:45 PM

Dec 2007
Pretty useless i think
If you're going to awaken then just cut your head off...i remeber Clare would do this if raki haven't stoped her.
Jan 25, 2008 3:46 AM

Jan 2008
I agree with Krelian.

I think that, it's a good system for you get a dear one to cut your head. A lot of people can't commit suicide you know but they can let a dear one cut their head off or just a strong one. This way it's on honour right, well yeah, there's the flaw that it might never get sent through but I think most of the time it will.

It's kinda like "granting one's last wish".
Jan 25, 2008 4:11 AM

Apr 2007
I think Krelian hit the nail on the head. But also Zero has a good point lol.
Feb 26, 2008 7:43 PM

Nov 2007
it seems fairly pointless since it hasn't even been referred to since that one episode it was introduced. everyone just kept awakening with no black cards to be found.
the masochist says "hurt me! hurt me!" the sadist replies "no"
Feb 26, 2008 8:41 PM

Nov 2004
if u awaken in a dramatic battle etc, it's not like u've neccesarily felt it coming for a while and have time to end things properly

also we don't see what happens to everyone
Feb 27, 2008 5:29 AM
Jan 2008
As said before, its an honor system and for Clare it was an honor to kill her awakening comrade, and its like a last wish for dying claymores. Krelian is right in his opinions I think... This is something that you feel over time, but you cant send out a card in middle of battle.. Thats just obvious.
Dec 3, 2008 7:23 PM

Nov 2008
Or, you could awaken and then send out the card to lure a claymore to their death...not very effective against your betters, however...
Dec 4, 2008 12:00 PM

Aug 2008
in anime all who awakened done in it in stressfull situations(battle, torturing) exept ilena.
Claymore slowly in time change from human to yoma so black card exist for those claymores who served well over years and want to die close to someone they cared(usualy room mate they was with at trainiing) about so black card exist. When they feel they can control body harder and soon they would loose control(soon 1-2 months) they send it.
Dec 5, 2008 8:37 PM

May 2008
Do remember what happens when the honor system is broken. It could be argued that the same honor is what keeps a Claymore from slaying humans. Though not stated, ignoring a black card could have the same consequence (having four of your peers come to take your head).

Of course, the black card is sent to the Claymore of choice, and if one's a real bitch then it's possible she might never get a black card from anyone.

SpellBinderJan 4, 2009 7:10 PM

Jan 2, 2009 6:53 AM
Jul 2018
i don't think the black card's totally useless. it maybe that when claymores begin experiencing the "symptoms" that they are nearing their awakening, then they give out the card to whoever they want to finish them off. but if the claymore's too afraid to die, has too much pride, or for some reason the black card doesn't receive its intended receipient, then bad for her!
Jan 14, 2009 3:48 AM

Jun 2008
SpellBinder said:
Do remember what happens when the honor system is broken. It could be argued that the same honor is what keeps a Claymore from slaying humans. Though not stated, ignoring a black card could have the same consequence (having four of your peers come to take your head).

Of course, the black card is sent to the Claymore of choice, and if one's a real bitch then it's possible she might never get a black card from anyone.

I don't think the same system would apply to the cards, because that's not a rule but more the honor of granting someone who's about to die (probably someone close to you) their last wish, so it's not really obligated and wouldn't have consequences

Feb 10, 2009 11:50 AM
Jan 2009
I believe that the black card system would have been an important part of the series...if the series actually used the black card more than once. I really don't think that the introduction of the black card system was about the black cards themselves...more like they were the introduction of how Claymores die and/or what happens to Claymores near the end of their lives. It wasn't totally useless; but if it had taken one less episode to explain, or was used more often, probably would have been more productive. It seemed like Claymore was set up perfectly for a second season *cough...* Most of the ideas and concepts in Claymore probably would have been more useful if they had a continuation to further exploit them...*cough...cough...*
Feb 10, 2009 11:58 AM
Jan 2009
Vega2503 said:
Or, you could awaken and then send out the card to lure a claymore to their death...not very effective against your betters, however...

This wouldn't exactly be effective unless you are attacking a single Claymore of dramatically lower status...a win wouldn't be guarenteed unless the Claymore was that weak. Might not work also because some of the awakened still make use of their swords (i.e. Priscilla), and in order to retrieve the black card, you would have to destroy the sword itself (as the black card is embedded in the sword).

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. ^___________^
Feb 13, 2009 8:29 AM

Jun 2008
xxtakeshixx said:
This wouldn't exactly be effective unless you are attacking a single Claymore of dramatically lower status...a win wouldn't be guarenteed unless the Claymore was that weak. Might not work also because some of the awakened still make use of their swords (i.e. Priscilla), and in order to retrieve the black card, you would have to destroy the sword itself (as the black card is embedded in the sword).

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. ^___________^
Well, since a Claymore is usually stronger when she is in her awakened form, it would probably work on Claymores about your own strength or a little stronger
and also
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Whats under the Claymore's Clothing? (Not perverted)

CrimsonReaper - Mar 24, 2010

37 by uranimemom »»
Feb 19, 2022 12:21 AM

» Discuss Everything You Hate About Raki ( 1 2 )

MechaMaddness - Aug 11, 2009

51 by Spirit_Tree »»
Nov 13, 2020 10:30 PM

» Is Helen underrated ?

Yugao_ - Aug 23, 2019

2 by SunWukung »»
Nov 3, 2019 6:03 PM

» New Teresa figure

BTrinidad01 - Jan 2, 2019

2 by MoFried »»
Apr 5, 2019 5:15 PM

» Favorite Claymore ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

eppyomega - Jul 26, 2007

305 by BTrinidad01 »»
Dec 29, 2018 4:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.