Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 7, 2008 5:16 PM

Jan 2008
I can't figure out how to remove the background from a picture. I mean the whole canvas so that the only thing that remains is the grey background which is the background of photoshop NOT the picture I am working on. I am not sure if this makes sense but I know it can be done (obviously cause I see it everywhere) but I can't seem to find a tutorial anywhere!!
Again, I want to remove the whole WHITE background so that the only thing that remains as a picture is (for example) a character from some anime.
I hope you'll help me out with this one -_-'

Sep 7, 2008 5:40 PM

Apr 2007
Try using the "Magic Eraser" tool, which is the second subtool under eraser (right-click on it.) If you set the tolerance low enough, I think you can get your desired result on a solid background, if I'm understanding correctly what you want. The Quick Mask tool at the bottom is also nice.

There's probably a nicer and more elegant way someone will post, though. I'm not too familiar with the intricacies of Photoshop as I mainly use Corel PSP.
Sep 7, 2008 8:13 PM

Feb 2008
You want to mask out the background so it ends up being transparent? Make sure the layer you're on is not named "background"(if it is, double click the layer and hit enter to rename it). Once it is renamed and you select the background in the pic through the selection tools you will be able to delete it.
Sep 7, 2008 10:40 PM

May 2007
first

then

finally

Hope that helps. Feel free to post any more questions.
ScrumYummySep 7, 2008 10:44 PM
Sep 8, 2008 12:45 PM

Apr 2008
Yummy explained it well, just another thing : if you want to have a transparent backgroung for web, save your file in .png (jpeg or gif won't do). Just do a "save a"s from your picture with layers (you can't save layers in png)

Sep 8, 2008 12:52 PM

Mar 2008
I always use pentool for these things, cuz it always works best ^^

However if the background is just grey and u want it white? (I didnt quite understand what you're saying).

If thats the case u can just duplicate the layer (ctrl+j)
Go to - Image-->Adjustments-->Selective color-->Neutrals and turn Black -100%
and voila! - white background :) - Some part of your image might have turned white where its not supposed to thought, just erase these parts with soft brush (E).

Good luck :P

More topics from this board

» What software(s) and hardware(s) do you use for digital drawings?

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

12 by Luchipher-Zen »»
4 hours ago

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

358 by nin-tendo »»
8 hours ago

» Anime hoodies - Would you wear it ?

abambata - Apr 17

1 by DesuMaiden »»
Today, 7:34 AM

» Have you tried using lmms?

Cammell - Today

0 by Cammell »»
Today, 5:34 AM

» Help me modify this layout

Luffie00 - Yesterday

0 by Luffie00 »»
Yesterday, 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.