Forum Settings
Forums

Remarks of Former President of MadHouse Studios Enrage Directors and Animators

New
Apr 5, 2012 4:05 AM

Feb 2008
According to Cyzo.com, Masuda Hiromichi, the former President of Madhouse Studios, gave a lecture at Tokyo International Anime Fair. His remarks in the lecture have aroused criticisms from anime directors and animators on Twitter. Here are the two remarks of his in question:

If you want to work in the anime industry, just jump in a studio without wondering. Even if you don't have skills, you can decide your future plan after entering the anime industry.

The true profession of the animator is key animation. In-between animation is just a training, which you are not supposed to be paid for.

Anime director Nishikiori Hiroshi tweeted that it's quite irresponsible to encourage young people to enter the anime industry before acquiring skills. He said those people will end up being kicked out of the industry.

Anime director Sato Tatsuo said that Masuda's opinion disturbed him because he learned many techniques for anime direction when he was working on the in-between animations.

Anime director Mizushima Seiji tweeted that Masuda's contempt for in-between animation is disgusting.

Animator Nishida Asako said Masuda doesn't know anything about the anime industry even though he once was the representative director of Madhouse.

Masuda was the representative director of Madhouse Studios from 2000-2005. He is one of the high executives of The Association of Japanese Animations and teaches anime business at the Graduate School of Film Producing.

Source: Cyzo.com
NaruleachApr 5, 2012 4:18 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 5, 2012 4:10 AM

Aug 2010
I don't know a thing about animation, but in-between animation is a work right? Something that must be done with knowledge, and time must be spent on it. Then if someone does it, he should be paid for it.

I interpret the first remark as don't be afraid to try out new things that interest you, but this was a horrible way of putting it.
Apr 5, 2012 4:21 AM
Dec 2007
Mogami-kun said:
I don't know a thing about animation, but in-between animation is a work right? Something that must be done with knowledge, and time must be spent on it. Then if someone does it, he should be paid for it.

I interpret the first remark as don't be afraid to try out new things that interest you, but this was a horrible way of putting it.
The first remark perhaps but the second one implies a "huh, you don't serve to be paid for such easy job. Do it for free dirtbags" kind of sleazy comment.

Apr 5, 2012 4:31 AM

Sep 2008
Yeah, and construction workers shouldn't be paid for their work too, since the true profession of everyone involved in construction is the architecture. Really.
The in-between animators is the lifeblood of animation, they do the hardest job among everyone involved in the process since it requires accuracy and precision.
Apr 5, 2012 4:38 AM

Oct 2011
total douchebag! to say that people shouldn't be payed for creating art which in turn makes studios money is truly evil! without the in-between animation there would be no animation...
Apr 5, 2012 4:50 AM
Feb 2012
Not surprised about all the hate he's getting. Pretty bold statements that he made there.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Apr 5, 2012 5:09 AM

Sep 2009
I'm really... puzzled as to how he came to form those opinions. o__0
Apr 5, 2012 5:11 AM

Jan 2009
even the lowest paid work on animating called In-Between animation also needs some pay you know
Apr 5, 2012 5:27 AM

Jun 2009
way to ruin your credibility
Apr 5, 2012 5:28 AM

May 2009
the only studio I know where you can work without having the slightest bit of talent or skill is JC staff^^
Apr 5, 2012 6:15 AM
Dec 2007
MikeOnHighway61 said:
the only studio I know where you can work without having the slightest bit of talent or skill is JC staff^^
JC Staff's crappiest shows are ussually animated by subpar cheap external studios.

Apr 5, 2012 6:41 AM

Jul 2010
Madhouse lack of profits really affect him badly
Apr 5, 2012 6:51 AM

Feb 2008
there are two reasons why people make remarks like this....

to stir the waters.....or because they are idiots.
Apr 5, 2012 6:55 AM
Mar 2011
the old lion still has teeth
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 5, 2012 7:30 AM
Mar 2011
jmal said:
Enjolras1830 said:
the old lion still has teeth

Lucky him, he'll need them for eating crow.

Madhouse is the oly studio thats got a link to the golden age stil alive Sunrise owned by namco so no Tastunoko not made any thing of note in yaers
Toei is mulit media thing so not counting them
sp madhouse is the old lion of the pride
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Apr 5, 2012 7:40 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
octal9 said:
without the in-between animation there would be no animation...

... and clearly he doesn't realize this simple statement.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 5, 2012 7:42 AM

Jul 2011
Leon-Gun said:
Mogami-kun said:

The first remark perhaps but the second one implies a "huh, you don't serve to be paid for such easy job. Do it for free dirtbags" kind of sleazy comment.
Apr 5, 2012 8:14 AM

Nov 2008
octal9 said:
Without the in-between animation there would be no animation...
Unless you are working for SHAFT, then there is no in-between animation, only key animation.

/Joke

But yeah, even if it's just a stepping stone, the job still needs to be paid, as many hours of work to tight deadlines go into the process. Do you think that junior software developers would get into programming as a career if the first step was unpaid, even if they only do relatively simple functions to start with? I don't think so.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Apr 5, 2012 8:26 AM

Nov 2008
i kinda understand the first remark but the second come on dude
Apr 5, 2012 12:07 PM
Mar 2012
I'd like to see him make an anime by himself. Its not easy at all to make anime. They spend a lot of time to create one and its a lot of talent.
You need an idea, something that keeps people interest.
Apr 5, 2012 12:16 PM
Apr 2010
I don't know who the hell any of these guys are.Though I probably watched some of their stuff...lmfao
Apr 5, 2012 3:11 PM

Apr 2010
wow... i wouldve flipped if i was an inbetweener.... they work the hardest the certainly derserve pay >.>

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Apr 5, 2012 3:14 PM
Mar 2011
jmal said:
Enjolras1830 said:
Madhouse is the oly studio thats got a link to the golden age stil alive Sunrise owned by namco so no Tastunoko not made any thing of note in yaers
Toei is mulit media thing so not counting them
sp madhouse is the old lion of the pride

How is this relevant at all to his comments? Being around for a long time somehow gives you free reign to treat your employees like slave labor?

I don't think so.

oyu have no idea how the bis works

Apr 5, 2012 4:29 PM
Mar 2011
Deardrops said:
jmal said:
Enjolras1830 said:
oyu have no idea how the bis works

And you do?

Making people do work + not paying them = not how the business works. Don't give me that shit. Back up your claims or don't waste your time making them.

Lol true, i don't see how someone shouldn't be paid for his WORK.

isnce the 94 Crash the Bis abilty to pay out bif money has slowly gone down only top Level Staff[ in any production get payed for the most part] get payed anywere nere proper wage simple

Apr 5, 2012 4:39 PM

Dec 2010
MADHOUSE’s better than most of anime studios 
even though he’s an ex
「J>K>W」
事実。
Apr 5, 2012 4:51 PM

Jul 2011
here comes the stupid question.

what is in-between animation ?
Apr 5, 2012 4:56 PM
Aug 2011
azzyzx said:

The frames of animation between the key frames.
Apr 5, 2012 5:25 PM
Dec 2007
instro said:
azzyzx said:

The frames of animation between the key frames.
That pretty much translates to "what tricks your mind into believing the frames don't just pop into view out of nothing". If you don't have them, well, you end up with a slideshow.

Apr 5, 2012 5:47 PM
Apr 2010
Based on what I've read, In - Between animation is what actually differentiates an anime from a slideshow. No In- Between animators = one long slideshow presentation. Static. Non-Fluid. Boring.

What a troll.

"If you want to work in the anime industry, just jump in a studio without wondering. Even if you don't have skills, you can decide your future plan after entering the anime industry."

I don't understand why people are letting this statement go. He's basically saying its okay for anybody to jump in the anime business cold turkey, without any previous knowledge beforehand. I want to work with programming someday, but should I, who know only basic Helloworld java, be allowed to go in? The proper answer is HELL no. r u kidding me? I'll make the business go down to shit because ill drag everybody down.
Apr 5, 2012 5:56 PM
Dec 2007
harrysoung said:
Based on what I've read, In - Between animation is what actually differentiates an anime from a slideshow. No In- Between animators = one long slideshow presentation. Static. Non-Fluid. Boring.

What a troll.

"If you want to work in the anime industry, just jump in a studio without wondering. Even if you don't have skills, you can decide your future plan after entering the anime industry."

I don't understand why people are letting this statement go. He's basically saying its okay for anybody to jump in the anime business cold turkey, without any previous knowledge beforehand. I want to work with programming someday, but should I, who know only basic Helloworld java, be allowed to go in? The proper answer is HELL no. r u kidding me? I'll make the business go down to shit because ill drag everybody down.
I would have commented on it but seriously, his second one is just so fucking ignorant and sleazy that it makes everything else small by comparison. Work is work and should always be properly compensated.

But yes you are correct. Telling people to head into the industry basically naked and without skills is just completely nocive to the industry. Of course the small jobs you'll get at the start serve to ease you into the actual job and train you, but you can't just jump into a company and expect them to deal with your messes because you knew shit beforehand. He's basically proposing to have a bunch of shitty animators. As if we didn't had enough shows with substandard animation.

Apr 5, 2012 7:12 PM
Dec 2007
divinicide said:
harrysoung said:

What a troll.

The first statement can be view differently based on perspective. My assumption is to do not fear the anime industry and gain experience. Its better to try than to simply do nothing and wonder. I do believe you need skill but its nothing without real experience. Its not a bad statement.
Depending on whether he made them with that intention or to diminish the actual value of the field in general. You can never tell with people on top, they're ussually motivated by several things whenever they say something, money being one of them.

Apr 6, 2012 8:03 AM
Jun 2008
cutting cost to the extreme lol

RIP animator
MorningGloryApr 6, 2012 8:07 AM
Apr 7, 2012 10:46 AM

May 2010
no wonder: he's an "anime BU$INE$$ teacher"
Fiction Responsibly
Apr 7, 2012 1:15 PM

Apr 2008
Not a nice thing to say huh? What you can acquire/achieve should be of good service to you.
Apr 8, 2012 12:54 AM

Dec 2010
Haha wow this guy.

Anyway, no pay? Sounds like those internships without pay.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

22 by ZXEAN »»
1 hour ago

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Supporting Cast Pair

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

1 by seweholmes »»
3 hours ago

» Musician wowaka Dies

Sakana-san - Apr 9, 2019

34 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
5 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Medalist' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - May 17, 2023

55 by Adizcool »»
Today, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.