Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 5, 2012 6:16 PM
Dec 2009
lol.. besides this anime of Lupin, the only other one I watched was the detective conan one with Lupin in it. I tried to watch the original Lupin III, the one made in 1971.. and yeah couldn't stand the quality lol. from watching this.. Lupin is awesome, wish they did a remake of everything
tag©.androgynous
Apr 5, 2012 6:28 PM

Jul 2010
Never really watched any Lupin, but the first episode of this was pretty unique
Apr 5, 2012 7:11 PM

Nov 2008
That was really weird, but I found it very entertaining.

This is the first Lupin thingy I've watched but it seems self-contained enough.
Apr 5, 2012 7:14 PM

Jun 2010
Can the word amazing can begin to be a good enough way to describe it? I've always been a fan of Lupin, but this is just astounding, I am head over heels for this anime right now.

5/5 for this episode.
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Apr 5, 2012 7:53 PM

Dec 2008
this was awesome.

ive only watched a portion of the lupin series when they aired it on adult swim, i cant really remember but was it always this graphic? either way this was fcking awesome, and im probly gonna watch the other 5 million lupin series/movies/ovas at some point this summer.
Apr 5, 2012 8:11 PM

Jun 2009
anime of the year 2012
Apr 5, 2012 8:41 PM

Aug 2009
OrochiPL said:
Damn, this really was something else. I'm unfamiliar with Lupin universe, heard this is a prequel to shitload of other of these works so i could watch it just like that, and i'm happy to have done that.
I like how the series is so mature about whole "fanservice", it works well to show how Mine Fujiko is all about using her body and sexappeal to obtain things she wants. On the other hand it's pleasant to the eye, so who would not like it?
Speaking of eye-pleasing things, the old artstyle mixed with new animation, shadow effects and all this makes it look so damn good. I love how this episode looked and hope this series won't drop in quality, and as it's only 13 episodes long it shouldn't.

My thoughts exactly. I fell in love with the visual quality as soon as I saw it. And the jazz music is excellent as well, including the OP and the ED. I mean, Naroyoshi Kikuchi's no Yuji Ohno, but I don't think I'll have a problem with his music at all.

I saw both Lupin III Part one as well as some of part 2 when I was a kid, and it's turned out as one of my all-time favorite anime series. I haven't seen as much Lupin as I probably should, but I'll get there. For now, this show'll keep me company.

Jimb0 said:
this was awesome.

ive only watched a portion of the lupin series when they aired it on adult swim, i cant really remember but was it always this graphic? either way this was fcking awesome, and im probly gonna watch the other 5 million lupin series/movies/ovas at some point this summer.

From what I remember, it wasn't that much, but the original manga was shameless when it came to full on nudity. Monkey Punch doesn't mess around when it comes to that lol. When Lupin III first aired in '77 (I think), Hayao Miyazaki worked on it for a time, hence why there wasn't that much boob action back then, if at all (Castle of Cagliostro is a great example).

I'm probably off about my Lupin III history, but that's what I can remember off the top of my head.

EDIT: I don't know my history at all. :P
dietmangoApr 6, 2012 1:16 PM
Apr 5, 2012 10:53 PM

Dec 2008
This is my first Lupin series and I have a feeling its gonna reel me in.
Loving Lupin being a boss and Mine being so seductive.
Apr 6, 2012 12:30 AM

Mar 2011
Freaking awesome episode.
Apr 6, 2012 1:50 AM

Aug 2010
That was beautiful.

Mine Fujiko is a babe
Apr 6, 2012 1:50 AM

Jan 2011
as a person who has never watched any of the Lupin series was way before my time so i don't have that nostalgic feeling that others might have But i was easly entertained by this and and will continue.

growing up as a kid i was a big fan of the james bond and sly cooper games so this is a pretty much a win in my books and the art is something you don't see every day!.
Apr 6, 2012 2:04 AM

Jan 2011
Awesome!!!! Even though I don't care much for the style.
Just grow some balls and do the show like you did the old ones.
Apr 6, 2012 3:19 AM

Oct 2011
that was some lovely animation/art - music was also spot on - great replication of the original monkey punch style - i really loved the vintage '70s feel of the whole thing - altogether nice!!! opening was beyond sexiness...
octal9Apr 6, 2012 3:24 AM
Apr 6, 2012 6:57 AM

Jul 2009
Haha WOW, this i LIKE
Apr 6, 2012 7:57 AM

Apr 2012
really predictable. hope that's because this is introductory.

nice art though. some bebop vibes going.
Apr 6, 2012 9:41 AM
Oct 2007
Interesting. From the unique and brave art style to the characters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2012 10:37 AM

Aug 2010
I was right.
Apr 6, 2012 12:03 PM

Apr 2008
Annoiato said:

You mean Bebop had some Lupin vibes;)
Apr 6, 2012 12:10 PM
Mar 2011
martin03345 said:
Annoiato said:

here here
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 6, 2012 12:57 PM

Nov 2009
It is my first time watching Lupin I was surprised by it. I liked the art and the colours.
Apr 6, 2012 1:27 PM

Apr 2012
martin03345 said:
Annoiato said:

how ironic the inspiration is deriving from what it inspired
Apr 6, 2012 2:05 PM

Jul 2011
Brilliant first ep, even after seeing it in the pv the art style still left me with my jaw dropped through out the episode. It is absolutely on another planet. I can only hope they can keep the same level of quality in both writing and animation throughout the course of its run because if so, then we could have a true classic with this series.
Apr 6, 2012 3:08 PM

Dec 2009
Before this I only saw The Castle of Cagliostro so I'm not that familiar with Lupin The Third and as such the show wasn't on my radar much but because of the talent involved I checked it out either way and was blown away. Very impressive first episode with lots of potential.
Ara ara.
Apr 6, 2012 3:30 PM

Aug 2010
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. I'm used to the cheese and low production values of the old Lupin the 3rd, and this is quite certainly nothing like that. The visuals are very striking, albeit the version I was watching was terribly corrupted so I couldn't fully appreciate them. It's also very sexualized, but I suppose anything focusing on Fujiko Mine has to be. Honestly, it still feels like Lupin's show, and he steals every scene he's in. This certainly seems like it has a lot of potential, but I'll have to see what they do with it.
Apr 6, 2012 4:16 PM

Dec 2007
martin03345 said:
Annoiato said:

Indeed, Lupin is what really paved the way for anime like Bebop, it's amazing how similar the two are.
Apr 6, 2012 5:02 PM
Feb 2012
Hmm... too much nudity. Was thinking of running this as a series for the anime club but it probably violates college rules with the nipples and stuff. Oh well.

Still, seems to be a prequel to the rest of Lupin, and great art style.
Apr 7, 2012 10:32 AM

Jun 2011
Apr 7, 2012 3:48 PM

Mar 2009
The visuals were outstanding. As to be expected of Takeshi Koike.

Certainly my favorite of the spring season thus far.
Apr 7, 2012 8:29 PM

Dec 2009
The animation and the visuals are really cool.
Never seen a Lupin anime before and I was really impressed.
Mostly watching this for Sawashiro Miyuki, though.
Apr 8, 2012 12:17 AM

Feb 2008
Dang, loving the art style and music of this. I'll have to watch a couple more movies or the first series soon.
Apr 8, 2012 11:02 AM

Jan 2012
Loved it, as someone who loved the original series I's say this is pretty awsome so far. As for those put off by the excessive nudity, I thought it was pretty vital in portraying the Fujiko as someone who will sink to any low to get what she wants. Not all nudity is meant for fanservice, this was obviously made for more of a mature audience. I can't wait to see what they do with the other charactors in the next episodes.
Apr 8, 2012 12:50 PM

Mar 2010
Absolutely loved it.

I watched an incarnation of Lupin the III when it came on TV for a while. Lupin has always been a show I've admired.

I cannot wait to watch more. <3
Apr 9, 2012 7:00 AM

Nov 2011
The animation and the visuals are really cool
Apr 9, 2012 9:23 AM

Feb 2012
Loved the first ep.

This is also my first lupin series and so far I'm impressed. Mine Fujiko is sexy, and Lupin is just a badass.

This season has so far been nothing short of amazing.
Apr 9, 2012 3:37 PM

Sep 2010
Would you be needed to watch the old Lupin III to understand this one or is it a seperate story?
I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body and fire is my blood.
I have created over a thousand blades.
Unknown to death, nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet those hands will never hold anything.
So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.
Apr 9, 2012 3:52 PM

Jan 2012
awesome!! loved thius!!!!
Apr 10, 2012 12:31 AM

Apr 2008
THIS IS JUST TOO AWESOME!!

Now that I have that off my chest. The animation was gorgeous and the story (at least for this episode so far) was beautifully written. Lupin and Fujiko were present and exerting all of their excellent chemistry together.

I cant help but think that those who are surprised/upset by the nudity may not have been acquainted with the original monkey punch lupin manga. In the anime, lupin is a charmer who TRIES to get in bed with every woman he sees. In the original manga, he's more of a cad, and does more than TRY to get in bed with every woman he sees. He does a fairly decent job of succeeding in the manga, and there was a fair amount of nudity/adult content present. This is definitely a darker, more sexy story, and this type of fanservice is MUCH more preferrable to some of the crap fanservice titles you see in anime these days where it seems to be the whole point (Seikon no Qwasar, Queens blade, Kiss x Sis to name a few...nothing against those who like these, taste is a subjective thing). At least so far, that doesn't seem to be the case here.There was PLENTY of fantastic action, story and humor to go around as well.

I think they've done and excellent job of bringing us an adult (mature adult not xxx adult) lupin story with plenty of the treasured lupin charm the series is known for but giving us some more of the dark, sexy story that made the original as popular as it was. I look forward to the rest and hope they keep this quality going.
Apr 10, 2012 8:32 AM

Jul 2009
I'm really happy with this, pretty much everything was impressive - characters, art, story and the pacing seemed to cover what an entire well planned out movie would acheive; I forgot I only watched a 20 minute show as it seemed longer.

Apr 10, 2012 11:26 AM

Nov 2010
Finally, this is the shit that rocks the house.

Fuck the haters (this includes the pretentious dork called Enjolras1830 and YAMAKAN), this piece of old-school packs a potent punch even after more than 2 decades.

Great killer start, thanks to the scripting, art, and voice acting.
soulassassin547Apr 10, 2012 8:32 PM
I play, the haters lose.
Apr 10, 2012 5:54 PM

Jan 2011
Why does this bring up visions of the original Bond, the Playboy Club, and the Rat Pack? This just has such a 60's/70's feel to it including the kickass jazzy soundtrack. Mine Fujiko has vibes of Pussy Galore meets Emma Peel--she's about to crack my favourite character list. And that green jacket! I'm sure I saw Sammy wearing it at the Sands...(alright, I actually didn't make it to Vegas until the late 90's, but if I had seen Sammy Davis Jr. at the Sands--that's what he would have been wearing).

This, Saint Seiyu, and Space Battleship Yamoto--have we slipped into a time warp? I'm going to have to cut back on my gaming to watch anime, it's such a strong season.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Apr 11, 2012 8:02 AM

Jan 2010
good ~
Art style is amazing ! ~
Apr 11, 2012 5:10 PM

Aug 2009
Best character design this season, hands down.... well Zetman might come kind of close but wow... so much detail in this ep... hell even the backrounds are meticulously detailed and the jazz music! composed by Shinichiro Watanabe.... man is making waves everywhere.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 11, 2012 5:53 PM

Oct 2009
I have one question. Do i have to watch the previous series of Lupin to watch this one??
Apr 11, 2012 6:54 PM

Feb 2012
Love the visual style, love the soundtrack. This is going to be a fun one.

trusttt said:
I have one question. Do i have to watch the previous series of Lupin to watch this one??

I'm a Lupin III virgin and just watched the first episode -- and I didn't feel at a loss. I didn't even know Fujiko was a series mainstay until I read the synopsis afterward.
Apr 12, 2012 6:51 PM

May 2011
I have seen a little bit of this back when it aired on Adult Swim, but back then my tastes weren't towards that style of anime. More into it now than I was at that time.
Apr 13, 2012 7:39 AM
Nov 2009
Wow been so long since I've watched Lupin. Probably over 12 years since it's one of the first animes I've watched. Nostalgia....

I can't help myself from humming the 1978 Lupin the 3rd theme while watching this, haha.

Also, the music is like sex in my ears. (not litterally)
Apr 13, 2012 7:42 AM
Nov 2009
trusttt said:

Lupin was some kind of episodic but it would be good if you knew a little about the other characters aswell. But I think it should be fine.
Apr 14, 2012 1:39 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Yup, they went all out on the sensuality of the original manga...

Handled pretty well...

Sexiest series of the season?
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 14, 2012 3:23 PM

Jun 2009
I never watched Lupin anime before .. do i need to know/watch the first series before watching this ? O.o
or its a remake so i don't ?

-Thanks for answering in advance.
Apr 14, 2012 5:10 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
M-Ezz said:
I never watched Lupin anime before .. do i need to know/watch the first series before watching this ? O.o
or its a remake so i don't ?

-Thanks for answering in advance.

It like a "prequel" as it actually talk about the past of the characters and how they met, etc.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

octal9 - Apr 19, 2012

57 by TheCrimsonEye »»
Feb 8, 2:10 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Apr 11, 2012

65 by TheCrimsonEye »»
Feb 8, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

m0xxxy - Jun 28, 2012

83 by removed-user »»
Jan 23, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

busterbeam - May 9, 2012

57 by St0rmblade »»
Dec 1, 2023 2:38 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 7 Discussion

dbaranyi - May 16, 2012

49 by zelfron12 »»
Jul 2, 2023 2:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.