MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Why do people have a problem with the protagonist being Fat?

Pages (16) « First ... « 5.8 6.8 [7.8] 8.8 9.8 » ... Last »
07-18-12, 10:34 AM

I think the fact that the MC is fat is kind of refreshing. I mean it's a rare thing so anybody superficial enough to bitch about that can go watch just about every other anime ever made while I play the worlds smallest violin for them.

Anyways I just skimmed over this thread, it looks like they're more people who have problems with the actual character than anything else. Can't argue with that, the guy is a real prick and loser but honestly I kind of like that it's pretty funny to me. .

Shaduge who are you kidding thinking that Accel World was gonna be exactly how you want it to be?! It is how it is, if he pisses you off so much quit watching already. Believe it or not some of us truly enjoy anti-heroes. If you want a kind hearted bishonen look elsewhere.

The world is filled with fat spoiled assholes and shallow women, so why not have an anime about that? It's perfectly realistic in that regard. Or did you not get the memo?

Modified by LayedBack, 07-18-12, 10:42 AM
We can't stop here, this is bat country.

07-18-12, 10:52 AM

LayedBack said:
I think the fact that the MC is fat is kind of refreshing. I mean it's a rare thing so anybody superficial enough to bitch about that can go watch just about every other anime ever made while I play the worlds smallest violin for them.

Anyways I just skimmed over this thread, it looks like they're more people who have problems with the actual character than anything else. Can't argue with that, the guy is a real prick and loser but honestly I kind of like that it's pretty funny to me. .

Shaduge who are you kidding thinking that Accel World was gonna be exactly how you want it to be?! It is how it is, if he pisses you off so much quit watching already. Believe it or not some of us truly enjoy anti-heroes. If you want a kind hearted bishonen look elsewhere.

The world is filled with fat spoiled assholes and shallow women, so why not have an anime about that? It's perfectly realistic in that regard. Or did you not get the memo?

LayedBack who are you kidding thinking that MyAnimeList threads was gonna be exactly how you want it to be?! It is how it is, if it pisses you off so much quit reading already. Believe it or not some of us truly enjoy complaining. If you want a circlejerk look elsewhere.

Point being, complaining about other people complaining is ironic.

07-18-12, 11:03 AM

Okay then keep whining about 1 single anime having a fat kid in it as if it doesn't make you look completely ridiculous. Just who do you think you are kidding ataraxiel?? Huh buster? :)

Anyways I'm just playing devil's advocate here maybe I got a little carried away myself. I do think however this anime (excusing the fantasy bit) is actually pretty realistic of what the real world is often like. I know we often are watching anime to escape reality for a little while but how can it be a bad thing to have 1 or 2 titles that have a sort of ugly truth to them.

Also, calling someone out for being a little ridiculous is actually different from complaining. T_T

07-18-12, 11:18 AM

LayedBack said:
Okay then keep whining about 1 single anime having a fat kid in it as if it doesn't make you look completely ridiculous. Just who do you think you are kidding ataraxiel?? Huh buster? :)

Anyways I'm just playing devil's advocate here maybe I got a little carried away myself. I do think however this anime (excusing the fantasy bit) is actually pretty realistic of what the real world is often like. I know we often are watching anime to escape reality for a little while but how can it be a bad thing to have 1 or 2 titles that have a sort of ugly truth to them.

Also, calling someone out for being a little ridiculous is actually different from complaining. T_T

This "ugly truth" is unrealistic as fuck. First off the main character isn't plain fat, he is a big round ball in chibi form.

And obviously we will dislike something which has a sense of the real "ugly" world attached to it, we don't watch anime for that after all. I dropped this anime so I don't know, but girls IRL don't randomly go after some one with bad looks and bad personality, most of the time they go after some one who causes trouble and is just an idiot who gets in trouble with police and what not.

Plus not everybody likes having a fat pathetic kid as a protagonist, some people like their protagonist looking bad-ass and somewhat likeable.

07-18-12, 11:21 AM

LayedBack said:

Don't mind if I do.
If this anime were realistic, the protagonist would have been stuck as a punching bag for the rest of his school career and as the adult equivalent of one for the rest of his life.

07-18-12, 1:17 PM

Yeah I get that you'd prefer a more badass, not fat, and not a complete loser main character. Most of the time I'd prefer that too. My my main point is that we already have a ton of anime like that, but some times I want something different. I just don't understand why someone has to act like it's a bad thing every time a studio wants to try something kind of new with an anime.

ataraxial said:

Don't mind if I do.
If this anime were realistic, the protagonist would have been stuck as a punching bag for the rest of his school career and as the adult equivalent of one for the rest of his life.

You've taken a somewhat narrow view of the world and applied it here as some sort of ridiculous universal rule. Sure, a person similar to Haruyuki isn't unlikely to get bullied, but do you seriously think every fat introvert with low self confidence goes through hell his entire life? They find friends, and girlfriends too. And if they can do it why shouldn't a fictional character in an anime not be able to? Some females really do prefer wimps by the way, they're a few reasons I could guess why that is.

Anyways my personal hope is that by the end Haruyuki will have undergone some major character development and turned in to a somewhat respectable person. I have no clue if this will actually happen or not but I for one would be interested to see that - some times it takes one good thing to happen to change a person for the better. Or maybe they're really just cashing in on all the lonely fat otakus, but I for one want to wait and find out.

Point is, there is the most potential when someone is trying something new that hasn't been done before. And Anti-heroes can turn out to be some of the most interesting of characters.
Modified by LayedBack, 07-18-12, 1:32 PM

07-18-12, 2:05 PM

LayedBack said:
Yeah I get that you'd prefer a more badass, not fat, and not a complete loser main character. Most of the time I'd prefer that too. My my main point is that we already have a ton of anime like that, but some times I want something different. I just don't understand why someone has to act like it's a bad thing every time a studio wants to try something kind of new with an anime.

ataraxial said:

Don't mind if I do.

You've taken a somewhat narrow view of the world and applied it here as some sort of ridiculous universal rule. Sure, a person similar to Haruyuki isn't unlikely to get bullied, but do you seriously think every fat introvert with low self confidence goes through hell his entire life? They find friends, and girlfriends too. And if they can do it why shouldn't a fictional character in an anime not be able to? Some females really do prefer wimps by the way, they're a few reasons I could guess why that is.

Anyways my personal hope is that by the end Haruyuki will have undergone some major character development and turned in to a somewhat respectable person. I have no clue if this will actually happen or not but I for one would be interested to see that - some times it takes one good thing to happen to change a person for the better. Or maybe they're really just cashing in on all the lonely fat otakus, but I for one want to wait and find out.

Point is, there is the most potential when someone is trying something new that hasn't been done before. And Anti-heroes can turn out to be some of the most interesting of characters.

Nobody's trying to say that anime studios shouldn't try something new. People are upset because they don't like it. In other words, the studio didn't do a good enough job of playing out the concept. Potential is great and all, but what really matters is the execution. If it doesn't deliver on its potential, then it has failed.

What do you mean by "isn't unlikely to get bullied"? Try "was bullied in episode 1." Starting from there, developing it realistically would not involve having everything handed to him for no reason. His situation isn't hopeless, but continuing to be a loser for the rest of his life is a much more likely and realistic scenario than what the anime presents if we're going for some sort of ugly truth.

07-18-12, 3:11 PM

ataraxial said:
Nobody's trying to say that anime studios shouldn't try something new. People are upset because they don't like it. In other words, the studio didn't do a good enough job of playing out the concept. Potential is great and all, but what really matters is the execution. If it doesn't deliver on its potential, then it has failed.

Fair enough, that is more likely to happen when trying something new and all. I guess where we differ is I'm very interested in just about anything done in a different and new way. Whether it lives up to its potential is important but I do have more leniency for an anime that attempts something new and in the process perhaps raises the bar and opens possibilities for the next wave.

Plus I happen to have an anti-hero fetish. I'd prefer someone like Kanta from Desert Punk, but Haruyuki will do. Their is too much of the anime left to know for sure if they plan on using Haruyuki to their advantage to deliver a good ending. It can go either way and even I might end up rating Accel World low depending on what happens.

ataraxial said:
What do you mean by "isn't unlikely to get bullied"? Try "was bullied in episode 1." Starting from there, developing it realistically would not involve having everything handed to him for no reason. His situation isn't hopeless, but continuing to be a loser for the rest of his life is a much more likely and realistic scenario than what the anime presents if we're going for some sort of ugly truth.

Exposing an ugly truth doesn't mean they have to blindly stick with this pattern the entire time. I see nothing particularly wrong with this series going in a different direction than what may seem likely to you or I. This is just one scenario out of many. If something is possible in the real world, then it can be considered realistic in anime as well. (a funny thing about trying to be realistic is that it doesn't always have to apply to every aspect of the story in order for it to work)

The very character you hate so much for being an anti-hero could end up taking what's been handed to him and using it in a respectable way or at the very least entertainingly. In fact, getting you to dislike him early in the series might have been the whole point!

07-18-12, 9:03 PM

The only people actually complaining about the looks of a character actually means Sunrise did well portraying that character.

Haru is supposed to be irritating. That was the whole point.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?

07-19-12, 4:59 AM

:D Man, this thread just keeps on going. Just to remind some people, everything in this anime is based on the light novel, including Haru. So it's not like the animators/anime producers/the studio are making it up. They simply followed the source material.

And speaking of Haru, he managed to get into the top 10 male character popularity ranking in the recent Newtype magazine. ^_^

07-19-12, 5:07 AM

How does he lack personality o.o...?

I'd like a bit of that thing you guys are smoking.

And since when a "loser" can't change in reality? I know of people that have 2x of most of your guys IQ and could kick your asses nonetheless, yet they were victims when they were kids/teenagers.

Hell, my best friend is exactly my example.
Modified by Immahnoob, 07-19-12, 5:15 AM

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.

07-19-12, 6:49 AM

LayedBack said:
Fair enough, that is more likely to happen when trying something new and all. I guess where we differ is I'm very interested in just about anything done in a different and new way. Whether it lives up to its potential is important but I do have more leniency for an anime that attempts something new and in the process perhaps raises the bar and opens possibilities for the next wave.

Plus I happen to have an anti-hero fetish. I'd prefer someone like Kanta from Desert Punk, but Haruyuki will do. Their is too much of the anime left to know for sure if they plan on using Haruyuki to their advantage to deliver a good ending. It can go either way and even I might end up rating Accel World low depending on what happens.

I actually like most anti-heroes.
For an example of an anti-hero protagonist done well, see Emiya Kiritsugu.

LayedBack said:
Exposing an ugly truth doesn't mean they have to blindly stick with this pattern the entire time. I see nothing particularly wrong with this series going in a different direction than what may seem likely to you or I. This is just one scenario out of many. If something is possible in the real world, then it can be considered realistic in anime as well. (a funny thing about trying to be realistic is that it doesn't always have to apply to every aspect of the story in order for it to work)

I was pointing out that the anime isn't really realistic at all. If we're going to go with your definition of "anything goes, however unlikely" for realistic, then there's no point to even use the word to describe anything.

LayedBack said:
The very character you hate so much for being an anti-hero could end up taking what's been handed to him and using it in a respectable way or at the very least entertainingly. In fact, getting you to dislike him early in the series might have been the whole point!

I certainly hope that's what happens. But the problem with this sort of 180-degree turn character development is that first impressions are very powerful. Also, if a character is annoying for 90% of the series, that's still 90% of the series of annoyance. Not to mention we're talking about hypotheticals here. It is just as likely that nothing of the sort happens by the end at all.

Also, nobody is hating on anti-heroes in general. I don't like the protagonist because I specifically don't like his personality, appearance, and unrealistic circumstances. Anti-heroes can be great characters. Haru is not.

07-19-12, 6:54 AM

I don't like how you guys can't speak properly.

How does he lack personality?
What don't you like from his personality?
How is this show unrealistic?
Why does he annoy you?

You didn't answer any of these questions, just saying you don't like him does not respond to the thread question or any questions at all.

Thus, your comments are quite useless.

But wait a freakin' second, you guys just used "anti-hero" wrong, an anti-hero is an "imperfect" hero but has nothing to do with him being weak, but him being somewhat "evil". Think of Punisher...
Modified by Immahnoob, 07-19-12, 7:02 AM

Autocrat said:

07-19-12, 6:57 AM

pika2000 said:
And speaking of Haru, he managed to get into the top 10 male character popularity ranking in the recent Newtype magazine. ^_^

LayedBack said:
Or maybe they're really just cashing in on all the lonely fat otakus.

07-19-12, 6:59 AM

Whole discussion O_O.
They made the MC fat and they wont change it ;)
I don't like the look of the MC either but we just have to accept the maker's choice or stop watching it.
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 860 OC @ 3.80 GHz, P7P55D LE, GTX 670 DC-2, 8GB RAM Apacer 1600MHz, CM HAFX,
CMV8, CMSP600W, Win7x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Tom's Hardware!

07-19-12, 7:02 AM

bjorno said:
Whole discussion O_O.
I don't like the look of the MC either but we just have to accept the maker's choice or stop watching it.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with option 3: complain on MAL threads, then probably drop it later.

Immahnoob said:

How is Haru not a good anti-hero?
Why does he annoy you?

You didn't answer any of these questions, just saying you don't like him does not respond to the thread question or any questions at all.

I don't like how you haven't bothered to read anything in this thread.

07-19-12, 7:04 AM

bjorno said:
Whole discussion O_O.

And then be objective in reviews about it.

*awaits the mountain of hate from 99% of "reviewers" on MAL*

Autocrat said:

07-19-12, 7:05 AM

ataraxial said:

Immahnoob said:

Why does he annoy you?

I don't like how none of your comments did respond to any of those questions.

EDIT: The point is I want to know how you see his personality before saying anything, you still don't want to do so, thus your points are invalid.

Autocrat said:

07-19-12, 7:07 AM

Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:

Immahnoob said:

Why does he annoy you?

Hint: they actually did. If you would like to point out where they didn't, I'd be happy to walk you through.

07-19-12, 7:09 AM

ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:

Immahnoob said:

Why does he annoy you?

Hint: they actually did. If you would like to point out where they didn't, I'd be happy to walk you through.

You said you don't like his personality...

Maybe you could actually tell us how YOU see his personality at least?

It's no point arguing if you don't say anything except that you don't like his personality.

Actually, that just pisses me off, and I still comment even if I have no reason to do so. It pisses me off because people forgot that on forums, you must explain your opinion, debates don't work with "This sucks" "No it doesnt".

EDIT: And to that "he's a pervert" part, don't forget that he's a teenager, he's not peeping intentionally or trying anything, he's just a kid that is full of hormones, it's obvious that he'll be a pervert in his own mind LOL.
Modified by Immahnoob, 07-19-12, 7:37 AM

Autocrat said:

07-19-12, 7:15 AM

Haruyuki is a healthy boy with only 13 years old I don't think to be fat in this age is bad...He have a long future...

also I recall a Supaa Hackaa(Hashida, Itaru Steins;Gate) and He is hilarious

I like it...

07-19-12, 7:39 AM

Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:

Immahnoob said:

Why does he annoy you?

It's no point arguing if you don't say anything except that you don't like his personality.

Actually, that just pisses me off, and I still comment even if I have no reason to do so. It pisses me off because people forgot that on forums, you must explain your opinion, debates don't work with "This sucks" "No it doesnt".

EDIT: And to that "he's a pervert" part, don't forget that he's a teenager, he's not peeping intentionally or trying anything, he's just a kid that is full of hormones, it's obvious that he'll be a pervert in his own mind LOL.

Post #337, 341-342.

@xdhakspy
Daru >>>>> Haru

07-19-12, 7:49 AM

xdhakspy said:
Haruyuki is a healthy boy with only 13 years old I don't think to be fat in this age is bad...He have a long future...

also I recall a Supaa Hackaa(Hashida, Itaru Steins;Gate) and He is hilarious

I like it...

And all I hear is on the news regarding fat people: "Obesity is a big problem we have to tackle it." Just asking: Where are you from, possibly America? But seriously, obesity is one of the world's problems right now, especially in America and England. And the government doesn't give a fuck.

07-19-12, 7:55 AM

Karpman said:
And all I hear is on the news regarding fat people: "Obesity is a big problem we have to tackle it." Just asking: Where are you from, possibly America? But seriously, obesity is one of the world's problems right now, especially in America and England. And the government doesn't give a fuck.

America is the greatest.

07-19-12, 8:22 AM

ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:

Immahnoob said:

Why does he annoy you?

Post #337, 341-342.

@xdhakspy
Daru >>>>> Haru

"Completely useless", "eyesore", "doesn't care of other people"

Is that all that you see in him?

First, we know he's a "loser" (same thing as eyesore and completely useless), but it's obvious that's a type of trauma for being bullied all the time because he's fat, he has an inferiority complex and wants to escape the real world, because he doesn't want to bother other people, or even bother himself anymore so he accepted isolation and all those insults. It's obvious somebody like him would need help, not everybody is strong minded. That's why your point is invalid, it's not only his fault, but his environment too and he as a character works perfectly in this situation. Him getting everything isn't even true, because he already had two good friends. He acted like that with Chiyu in the first episodes because he thought of two things in that situation "I don't want her to bother with me anymore", "I don't want help or pity either, it's useless for me to try", which is how people with inferiority complex think, that they're useless, thus they become useless.

Kuroyukihime feels the same way like him, she feels ugly even if she's not, they both feel inferior. Don't forget how she got to know him, she was curious and found out that he feels the same way like she does... It might be interess too, because she has seen how good he is at games, it was sudden, and I'm sure she wanted to recruit him too, this is still a possibility because we still have 10 episodes for sudden heel face turn. I'm still going with the first part, how do you find out about new people? You talk to them, am I right? Some people do feel pity towards such "losers", so maybe she tried to help him, feeling inferior yourself does not change the fact that you could help somebody else.

And LOL at the "he doesn't care about people around him", how did you get to that? He's actually too loyal and always thinks about his friends, what if he always pities himself? "Inferiority complex" all over the place, OBVIOUSNESS won't even try to explain this.

The shows message isn't about how "fat" people get all the girls and stuff, but on how people could help people with inferior complexes (and maybe fat people), to get over such problems. Now, the fanservice is only a plus, it's always depicted as an accident anyways, it's not like he jumps on girls to do such a thing. Him, getting the loli to bath with him is her scheme to use Haru. Loli loving Haru after all this is just another obvious thing... Haru kept on "annoying" her with his ideals on friendship and trust (which she lacked). Haru has shown that he is serious of what he is talking about. Let's not forget she's a loli, yes, a little 11 year old. I don't think it's that "unreal" that Niko gets to love Haru, it's especially because of his personality.

Chiyu is another story. Chiyu is his childhood friend, he doesn't love him, but she has a type of big sister complex. Over protecting, always thinking of his problems, trying to help him too. That's why she feels so normal around him naked, 30 cm's away (cable length) and that's why she thinks of him a lot. They didn't actually tell us anything about Chiyu and Taku's relationship, so we can't know for sure, but from her personality she's not a type of person to stay with somebody she doesn't truly like.

And yes, people watch the equivalent of the life they can't ever have and for entertainment... That's why you guys hate "ugly".

Even so, I still can't believe you guys can't be objective at all.

Autocrat said:

07-19-12, 1:19 PM

I don't think it's about him being fat. I think it's about his character design being completely round and out of place with the other character's art style. He's too cartoonish compare to everyone else. He might as well be an avatar with how round he is. If he was at least normal looking and fat it'd be better.

07-19-12, 3:36 PM

Honestly for most kids before they finish puberty there obesity isn't there own fault, heck I knew a guy who ate every fast food you could name every day of the week and took seconds at every meal I ever saw him at and he was thin as a twig.
The reason people hate fat people is simple: We are afraid of them, or more we are afraid of becoming them. Just think unlike demons and hell spawns and the like overweight people are us, they are people exactly the same and as such we could easily end up looking like them which we do not want and as such it is fear that compels us to ridicule them and reject them from society to make ourselves feel we are on some sort of higher pedestal than them and therefore will never be like them.

07-19-12, 8:10 PM

I been off for weeks and this topic is still hot . wow
Actually glad that nepal is facing disaster

07-19-12, 8:12 PM

Immahnoob said:
"Completely useless", "eyesore", "doesn't care of other people"

Is that all that you see in him?

First, we know he's a "loser" (same thing as eyesore and completely useless), but it's obvious that's a type of trauma for being bullied all the time because he's fat, he has an inferiority complex and wants to escape the real world, because he doesn't want to bother other people, or even bother himself anymore so he accepted isolation and all those insults. It's obvious somebody like him would need help, not everybody is strong minded. That's why your point is invalid, it's not only his fault, but his environment too and he as a character works perfectly in this situation. Him getting everything isn't even true, because he already had two good friends. He acted like that with Chiyu in the first episodes because he thought of two things in that situation "I don't want her to bother with me anymore", "I don't want help or pity either, it's useless for me to try", which is how people with inferiority complex think, that they're useless, thus they become useless.

Kuroyukihime feels the same way like him, she feels ugly even if she's not, they both feel inferior. Don't forget how she got to know him, she was curious and found out that he feels the same way like she does... It might be interess too, because she has seen how good he is at games, it was sudden, and I'm sure she wanted to recruit him too, this is still a possibility because we still have 10 episodes for sudden heel face turn. I'm still going with the first part, how do you find out about new people? You talk to them, am I right? Some people do feel pity towards such "losers", so maybe she tried to help him, feeling inferior yourself does not change the fact that you could help somebody else.

And LOL at the "he doesn't care about people around him", how did you get to that? He's actually too loyal and always thinks about his friends, what if he always pities himself? "Inferiority complex" all over the place, OBVIOUSNESS won't even try to explain this.

The shows message isn't about how "fat" people get all the girls and stuff, but on how people could help people with inferior complexes (and maybe fat people), to get over such problems. Now, the fanservice is only a plus, it's always depicted as an accident anyways, it's not like he jumps on girls to do such a thing. Him, getting the loli to bath with him is her scheme to use Haru. Loli loving Haru after all this is just another obvious thing... Haru kept on "annoying" her with his ideals on friendship and trust (which she lacked). Haru has shown that he is serious of what he is talking about. Let's not forget she's a loli, yes, a little 11 year old. I don't think it's that "unreal" that Niko gets to love Haru, it's especially because of his personality.

Chiyu is another story. Chiyu is his childhood friend, he doesn't love him, but she has a type of big sister complex. Over protecting, always thinking of his problems, trying to help him too. That's why she feels so normal around him naked, 30 cm's away (cable length) and that's why she thinks of him a lot. They didn't actually tell us anything about Chiyu and Taku's relationship, so we can't know for sure, but from her personality she's not a type of person to stay with somebody she doesn't truly like.

And yes, people watch the equivalent of the life they can't ever have and for entertainment... That's why you guys hate "ugly".

Even so, I still can't believe you guys can't be objective at all.

You can be traumatized and still be useful. Being useless is his own problem. Being weak-minded is also his own problem. At a certain point, people have to take responsibility for what they do and don't do. By not trying to do anything to remedy his situation, he only has himself to blame.

Ultimately, a person's life is dictated by who they are. If he were more strong-minded and overall better of a person, he would never have been bullied even with his appearance. The environment is the same for everyone - he's the only one who's being a loser and not trying to do anything about it.

Of course, if this were real life, I would do anything I could to help him out since being weak doesn't mean that he should be bullied. However, the rest would be up to him and would not involve him getting anything for free. There would not be incredibly attractive girls all of a sudden going after him in the name of fanservice and as an attempt to appeal to fat otakus.

The not-caring-about-other-people is simple - he is too absorbed in his own self-pity to think about them to any extent. He only cares about how others view him - he's shallow, suspicious, and selfish. If he really cared about others enough, that would have been enough to give him the courage to at least apologize in the first episode. I mean, that's like one word that needs to be said. If his supposed selflessness can't even allow him to do that... it seems pretty obvious that he's not just a loser but an asshole.

Also, "eyesore" is not the same as "loser." Eyesore just means his character design is bad. He's a fat midget with really strange eyes. It's ugly but it's also just inconsistent with the other characters' designs. Whoever designed him could've done a different design and still gotten the same emotional response (or a better emotional response) out of us without having us think that he looks like something out of an American cartoon.

I'm actually not as bothered by his personality as by how jarring his character design is. His personality has potential to get better, but his character design is not going to change. What's wrong with his character design being ugly? There's nothing "objectively" wrong, it's just that a lot of people, including myself, don't like it at all. And if that becomes our reason for dropping the series, I think we should make it known.

07-19-12, 10:34 PM

Traumas are different from person to person, a severe inferiority complex as his makes him unable to be useful or do anything by himself. Having nightmares of his own bullies already shows his trauma was severe enough. Plus, he's 13 years old.

"If he were"... If I wouldn't have been half blind from birth, I could have a license right now. Yeah, if he were. No man, some people aren't as strong minded as you or I am, he already shows signs that he's shy already.

"For free"... How did he get anything for free...? Everything happened with a reason, there weren't any Deus Ex Machina's around like you're stating. These "hot chicks" he gets are not even a true harem. As I said, Chiyu has a big sister complex and knows him for ages, Kuroyukihime suffers from the same thing as he does, so it's like they both heal each others wounds, Niko simply likes him because she's 11 and likes his personality. Only Kuroyukihime has been given to him "for free", even if it's explained why and everything I say here is to the level of giga obviousness because mega is not enough. Fanservice is another story lol, if that wouldn't be in the whole story it wouldn't even hinder it. Fanservice is, exactly as the name implies, FANSERVICE. Everything Haru touches is by mistake.

Even with his severe trauma he's still thinking about his friends, as most things he does is for them. He can't appologize not because he's selfish, it's because his self-esteem already sucks big juicy donkey balls (don't ask me where I know this, only Yathzee could explain), saying "I'm sorry" will pretty much kill everything he has in himself, but that's because it happens to everybody depending on how sincere they are about appologizing and their self-esteem. Only because you can do it, it does not mean everybody can (HEHE, I'm saying this, DONT KILL ME LEAGUE OF LEGENDS).

Well, that was my mistake, whatever, you can think whatever you want of his character design, even if I explained it in about 4-5 pages looooong ago (I don't wanna check it out), I'll try to be short. It's to make him be even a bigger target for being bullied, making him look even more patethic, they didn't wanted him to be outright "ugly" (as you can see, you guys are on HAMMERTIME mode, even with him being chibi) tho, so they made him chibi (to be different from the other characters too, they're just too beatifully made, and he's the single fat person in that whole universe), to make him look slightly "cute" to keep the shounen tag, this is something primarily for teenagers, teenagers had and still have BIG problems going on with their personality, hormones and thinking, you're 18 years old too, weird that you can't remember the problems you had from getting to 13-14 years old...

But hey, us males never admit we were weak once, never. I can understand you, bro, but then, you can't tell me you think objectively, "It's my opinion that he's ugly, hey look, some other people with shallow to no arguments are supporting me, I'm right!", nope. And by this thread I'd say you're in minority. Not everybody is like me, desperately trying to argue for the sake of arguing (as I could ever give a fuck if you drop it) and to correct people out ("correct", by what I think is "correct" which most of the times is correct). People like ranting a lot, it's human nature. You're talking from your opinion and feelings, how is that being objective?

Autocrat said:

07-19-12, 11:59 PM

edl01 said:
Honestly for most kids before they finish puberty there obesity isn't there own fault, heck I knew a guy who ate every fast food you could name every day of the week and took seconds at every meal I ever saw him at and he was thin as a twig.
The reason people hate fat people is simple: We are afraid of them, or more we are afraid of becoming them. Just think unlike demons and hell spawns and the like overweight people are us, they are people exactly the same and as such we could easily end up looking like them which we do not want and as such it is fear that compels us to ridicule them and reject them from society to make ourselves feel we are on some sort of higher pedestal than them and therefore will never be like them.

I'll say yes to the I feel better than fat people since I do, but I don't take every chance to insult them, there is this one semi fat guy at our school who keeps eating from our school canteen and that consists of mostly fast food and we try and say to eat less, but he won't and their obesity isn't there own fault? It is not like they are getting forced to eat hamburgers and fast food, they can choose what to eat, Cook a meal for yourself or order something what is going to increase obesity.

07-20-12, 12:39 AM

Karpman said:
edl01 said:

I'll say yes to the I feel better than fat people since I do, but I don't take every chance to insult them, there is this one semi fat guy at our school who keeps eating from our school canteen and that consists of mostly fast food and we try and say to eat less, but he won't and their obesity isn't there own fault? It is not like they are getting forced to eat hamburgers and fast food, they can choose what to eat, Cook a meal for yourself or order something what is going to increase obesity.

So, you're 14 yourself and you think it's easy for people just to refuse to eat the food they usually eat or what?

Do you know how hard it is to actually start practicing a sport and going into a diet or at least stop eating the usuall junk food?

Junk food is made to make you eat more and more, that's why it's dangerous in the first place... Eating becomes a habit, something to take your mind off the bad, cruel world. Or at least that's how fat people see it. It depends on how that "semi fat friend" feels... Is he a sociable fellow that goes out every Saturday? Or your his only friend?

Don't think everybody has that will you do. Be more tolerable and try to think in their place, you're not special.

Autocrat said:

07-20-12, 1:33 AM

''If you're born a midget, you cant do anything much to change it as its genetics. but if you're fat, you can change it even if you're born fat because of genetics. Conclusion ?

Fat people that blame on genetics can fuck themselves and face the facts and go take a jog . Lots of ''and'' here , pardon me.

07-20-12, 1:35 AM

Immahnoob said:
Karpman said:
edl01 said:

So, you're 14 yourself and you think it's easy for people just to refuse to eat the food they usually eat or what?

Do you know how hard it is to actually start practicing a sport and going into a diet or at least stop eating the usuall junk food?

Junk food is made to make you eat more and more, that's why it's dangerous in the first place... Eating becomes a habit, something to take your mind off the bad, cruel world. Or at least that's how fat people see it. It depends on how that "semi fat friend" feels... Is he a sociable fellow that goes out every Saturday? Or your his only friend?

Don't think everybody has that will you do. Be more tolerable and try to think in their place, you're not special.

I agree that is hard to get rid of a habit which you have been doing for a long time, but my point is that these fat people blaming the government for their obesity is just ridiculous, if you don't want to be fat then find something else to do when you are depressed or in a bad mood. And I never said nor did the guy I replied to that these people ate because they were depressed, it was more that a lot of people eat junk food for the sake of eating it. There is no problem with eating diner cooked by yourself or your parents.

07-20-12, 1:57 AM

No guys, some people eat because they truly are depressed, you can be fat from when you're little and you can slowly succumb to insults and eat more, or you can just get thinner because you're stronger.

I never said "genetics", I'm talking about the mind here... Personality depends on each other, and on education.

You talk like it's easy too "find something else if you're depressed or in a bad mood". Ahahahahaha, have you ever been depressed for real in your life? Like ever? People can get depressed from meaningless things too, and it's really hard to get over it, without help/guidance you slowly go to Hell.

Oh, and fat people feel 4x more pain while exercising... It's because they can't exercise as much as we can. It's obvious. I had "fat friends" and they felt that it was meaningless if they couldn't exercise as much as I could o.O.

There is always a reason behind things, especially in how people act. Don't just go like "He can't say "sorry" he's selfish", "He can't stop eating, it's his problem, it's so easy to do so", "Depression is just a bit of sadness, he'll get over it", "Hmph, he doesn't need help, he must do everything by himself (this is half true tho)", "Inferiority complex? Hah, he just needs to man up". I don't expect you people to think further than the little enclosed box, as it's quite hard to do so, but don't even talk before feeling such things on your own skin, or at least after you've met people like that, and tried to understand them.

Autocrat said:

07-20-12, 2:11 AM

I had a few fat friends , till they man up and start doing hardcore jogging with a strict diet and bodyweight exercise , guess what ? Their stamina are way better than mine now, and their bodysize became like an average adult. Problem ? But of course he dont have a six pack , but he can't be called a fatty anymore.

He loves exercise, so why do other fat people feel 4x depressed when doing exercises ? Tsk , it all depends on the individual . Whether he want to be a lazy/depressed fuck or a cheerful/strong willed man with no sense of giving up and is able be proud of himself.

07-20-12, 8:05 AM

Spacebar said:
I had a few fat friends , till they man up and start doing hardcore jogging with a strict diet and bodyweight exercise , guess what ? Their stamina are way better than mine now, and their bodysize became like an average adult. Problem ? But of course he dont have a six pack , but he can't be called a fatty anymore.

He loves exercise, so why do other fat people feel 4x depressed when doing exercises ? Tsk , it all depends on the individual . Whether he want to be a lazy/depressed fuck or a cheerful/strong willed man with no sense of giving up and is able be proud of himself.

The exception proves the rule. Not many people are strong willed, that's why obesity is raising pretty fast, year by year.

You're talking like it's all easy peasy, just wait for them to man up... It's not like that.

Autocrat said:

07-20-12, 12:00 PM

Spacebar said:

It's still a fact that some people have a murch harder time staying "slim" than others. That's genetical. And some people might have other issues affecting their weight, one of them being ilness (Hypothyroidism for example) and medicines that make you gain weight or accumulate abnormal quantities of fat in certain areas (which makes you look fat even when you have the right weight). SO please try not to be so fucking general about it and realize it is a case by case thing.

07-20-12, 12:01 PM

I used to know a guy, really good friend of mine before I moved away that was a rather large fellow. Not like, insanely obese or anything but still sorta a round guy. He could break dance like there was no tomorrow. I'm talking like, Bob/Rufus levels of mind boggling contradictive movement.

Last I hear he's doing pretty well. He never really had an issue with himself or anything when I knew him. I mean, as far as I could see anyways but point is that I don't think the whole health thing is as black and white as some seem to like to think it is.

Well, that and remembering the image of a fat guy break dancing faster and more skillfully than people half his size always makes me smile a bit.

07-20-12, 1:40 PM

Immahnoob said:
But wait a freakin' second, you guys just used "anti-hero" wrong, an anti-hero is an "imperfect" hero but has nothing to do with him being weak, but him being somewhat "evil". Think of Punisher...

Anti-Hero - A main character in a dramatic or narrative work who is characterized by a lack of traditional heroic qualities, such as idealism or courage.

While it's true the term's roots started with heroes with a somewhat questionable moral compass, I believe over time it's come to represent any hero with unlikable character traits, or as the above states a 'lack of' traditional heroic qualities such as courage. The last part of this definition tells us that it is possible to be an anti-hero and still have a heroic idealism.

When a word starts to commonly represent something that might not be an exact match of it's previous definition, then it's common for a definition itself to change over time. That's kind of how words can end up having 2 somewhat different definitions.

Basically, don't come in here and tell me I'm wrong about something like that without doing more than 2 seconds of research on wikipedia or whatever. Anti-heroes are and always have been my favorite character type and I believe the term itself allows us to use it in a somewhat loose fashion.
Modified by LayedBack, 07-20-12, 1:45 PM

07-20-12, 9:51 PM

LayedBack said:
Immahnoob said:

Anti-Hero - A main character in a dramatic or narrative work who is characterized by a lack of traditional heroic qualities, such as idealism or courage.

While it's true the term's roots started with heroes with a somewhat questionable moral compass, I believe over time it's come to represent any hero with unlikable character traits, or as the above states a 'lack of' traditional heroic qualities such as courage. The last part of this definition tells us that it is possible to be an anti-hero and still have a heroic idealism.

When a word starts to commonly represent something that might not be an exact match of it's previous definition, then it's common for a definition itself to change over time. That's kind of how words can end up having 2 somewhat different definitions.

Basically, don't come in here and tell me I'm wrong about something like that without doing more than 2 seconds of research on wikipedia or whatever. Anti-heroes are and always have been my favorite character type and I believe the term itself allows us to use it in a somewhat loose fashion.

"I want to look interesting and smart, that's why I'll use anti-hero wrong, it fits my definition of being epic"

By that retarded definition of yours any hero can be called an anti-hero so why not settle down and call him "the hero"?

When a word is used wrong, the person in wrong should be corrected, not be given a prize and giving that word in question, another definition.

And no, I don't care if it rustles your potatoes.

Autocrat said:

07-20-12, 9:59 PM

Immahnoob said:
LayedBack said:
Immahnoob said:

"I want to look interesting and smart, that's why I'll use anti-hero wrong, it fits my definition of being epic"

By that retarded definition of yours any hero can be called an anti-hero so why not settle down and call him "the hero"?

When a word is used wrong, the person in wrong should be corrected, not be given a prize and giving that word in question, another definition.

"I want to be cool, that's why I'll use quotes and say things like 'rustle your potatoes,' it does make me look cool, right?"

The original definition of anti-hero is simply a flawed hero. You're being stupid. LayedBack is right.

07-20-12, 10:03 PM

ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
LayedBack said:
Immahnoob said:

"I want to be cool, that's why I'll use quotes and say things like 'rustle your potatoes,' it does make me look cool, right?"

The original definition of anti-hero is simply a flawed hero. You're being stupid. LayedBack is right.

Because using a wrong definition surely isn't lack of intelligence. And does not beg for a potato rustle.

2 vs 1 that's not nice in an argument.

Autocrat said:

07-20-12, 10:05 PM

Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
LayedBack said:
Immahnoob said:

Because using a wrong definition surely isn't lack of intelligence. And does not beg for a potato rustle.

Speak for yourself.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClassicalAntiHero

07-20-12, 10:06 PM

ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
LayedBack said:
Immahnoob said:

Speak for yourself.

TV Tropes did that because they can't fix the wrong the Internet already did.

Autocrat said:

07-20-12, 10:10 PM

Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
LayedBack said:
Immahnoob said:

Speak for yourself.

I hear potatoes rustling.

07-20-12, 10:11 PM

ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
LayedBack said:
Immahnoob said:

Speak for yourself.

I'm sorry Firetruck, but your potatoborn powers won't work against me.

Autocrat said:

07-20-12, 10:16 PM

Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
LayedBack said:
Immahnoob said:

Speak for yourself.

You win. You're just too clever for me to handle.

07-20-12, 10:18 PM

ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
ataraxial said:
Immahnoob said:
LayedBack said:
Immahnoob said:

Speak for yourself.

You win. You're just too clever for me to handle.

Nah, no problem man, we both had our potatoes rustled.

AHEM. I don't give a fuck overall, but we're going off topic and I really like this discussion.

Modified by Immahnoob, 07-20-12, 10:34 PM

Autocrat said:

07-20-12, 11:55 PM

Facepalm at the entire thread.

Makes me wonder why I am here again?

Oh well, I was bored...

/useless comment

No, seriously people? Off topic much??

/off topic
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?

Pages (16) « First ... « 5.8 6.8 [7.8] 8.8 9.8 » ... Last »