Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Pages (16) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Jun 2, 2012 9:58 PM

Everyone,just stop fighting already!!Half people like how he is a original character while other half don't like it when it comes to his "unreal" fattiness,how he differs in his character design from other characters.You can't just change others opinions with fighting & saying this is better & this is not..

Jun 3, 2012 3:42 AM

wakka9ca said:
mal2012 said:
He just looks too goddamn weird, apart from being fat. How can he be so short?

So you are discriminating against short people too? lol.

Umm, no, I am not. I have no problems with short or fat people. He just does not fit in with the overall character design. I think that's the point that people are trying to make here.

Jun 3, 2012 3:48 AM

mal2012 said:
wakka9ca said:
mal2012 said:
He just looks too goddamn weird, apart from being fat. How can he be so short?

So you are discriminating against short people too? lol.

Umm, no, I am not. I have no problems with short or fat people. He just does not fit in with the overall character design. I think that's the point that people are trying to make here.

And then you find out that people don't understand the simplest of things.

It's to make him look pathetic and miserable. If you see a fat, sad and short guy in real life what do you think? "Haha, pathetic". Am I right?

That's it. They wanted the protagonist to be more pathetic than any other characters in any other anime (AKA Shu from Guilty Crown is PATHETIC until after like 14 episodes, and other examples like Highschool DxD (the protagonist) etc). He's just a cliched character with some NEW additions to add to how pathetic he is.

Actually, from all examples you can get he's one of the most realistic. Most fat people are discriminated and bullied in real life, and like all people, give them a chance and they'll get better or they'll change. Most anime are extreme, think of Harems. Most of them are made for people to escape reality.

Think out of your little boxes, then you'll find the answers to many things.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.

Jun 7, 2012 8:20 PM

Well, people always want to force their own view and opinion on series. It's a natural tendency for anyone with an ego. That is why many have the mindset that this fat and short character has no place in this anime because their vision of the anime does not permit such oddity.

Oh well. What can one do?
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?

Jun 8, 2012 4:52 AM

wakka9ca said:
Well, people always want to force their own view and opinion on series. It's a natural tendency for anyone with an ego. That is why many have the mindset that this fat and short character has no place in this anime because their vision of the anime does not permit such oddity.

Oh well. What can one do?

Hmmm, I don't understand how this works. So, anybody with an ego would force their point of view in it? But those who don't have such a big ego won't?

Well, I think that most things that happen have a deeper meaning. Literature or movies for example SURELY have a deeper meaning. There still are those thin paper story lines, they exist everywhere, but even those have something "hidden" out of plain sight.

Even character development, why lyrics in a song are like that, etc.

Autocrat said:

Jun 8, 2012 6:11 AM

theres always 1 fat person on school. deal with it

Jun 18, 2012 12:34 PM

Lol I just don't like how he is 2x shorter than Kuroyukihime. Apart from that I'm actually fine with him :P

Jun 18, 2012 12:53 PM

It's an effective visual metaphor, as is the Silver Crow model and pig avatar.

And hey, nothing wrong with pervyness. : /

Jun 20, 2012 8:51 AM

he just doesn't fit with the rest of the characters at all. he's not just fat, he's very odd looking. rotund, bowling ball esque. I mean the size and proportions just don't work.

the main problem is we have 2-3 quite girls fawning over porky here. it doesn't make any sense realistically.

Jun 20, 2012 3:15 PM

I thought this thread was dead already. I made a thread for Scarlet Rain, and nobody's there. All people want to talk is Haru??

Jun 21, 2012 11:05 AM

pika2000 said:
I thought this thread was dead already. I made a thread for Scarlet Rain, and nobody's there. All people want to talk is Haru??

Scarlet Rain won't be jelly of Haru anyways, so we can ignore her.

Autocrat said:

Jun 21, 2012 2:17 PM

Lol surprised the debate still going on, still this thread is priceless....the posts here really do me laugh xD

Jun 22, 2012 8:30 PM

Immahnoob said:

Well, it makes me think the people are actually liking Haru despite what they are saying here. I mean why would one keep hanging around the forum of the show and keep talking about the character they supposedly "dislike"? ;-)

Jun 22, 2012 11:28 PM

pika2000 said:
Immahnoob said:

Well, it makes me think the people are actually liking Haru despite what they are saying here. I mean why would one keep hanging around the forum of the show and keep talking about the character they supposedly "dislike"? ;-)

So we dislike him too, I suppose?

Autocrat said:

Jun 23, 2012 8:52 AM

mystik said:

the main problem is we have 2-3 quite girls fawning over porky here. it doesn't make any sense realistically.

That's your typical harem setting. I don't see what's the problem here since I don't a complaint thread in the harem series. At least porky is visually different from your typical male harem lead. We should rejoice.

In Shaman King we all know of a character that doesn't fit with the overall design.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?

Jun 23, 2012 9:22 AM

wakka9ca said:
mystik said:

That's your typical harem setting. I don't see what's the problem here since I don't a complaint thread in the harem series. At least porky is visually different from your typical male harem lead. We should rejoice.

In Shaman King we all know of a character that doesn't fit with the overall design.

Another thing is that we're talking about Anime here, realism? Dafuq is that? Porky actually has a better personality than most male leads from other Harem anime lol.

Autocrat said:

Jun 23, 2012 9:33 AM

Immahnoob said:

Yeah, the past two episodes seem to have a different opinion. Niko ha fallen for Haru so hard.But I don't what your problem is. Haru is WORTH IT. He looks like a fat pig, but he's kind, determined and extremely loyal.

Jun 23, 2012 9:42 AM

DmonHiro said:
Immahnoob said:

Yeah, the past two episodes seem to have a different opinion. Niko ha fallen for Haru so hard.But I don't what your problem is. Haru is WORTH IT. He looks like a fat pig, but he's kind, determined and extremely loyal.

What I said, and what you said, are two different things. She won't ever be jealous of how much attention Haru gets, so what I said still stands.

Autocrat said:

Jun 23, 2012 4:40 PM

How did this thread ended up talking about harems...
And no Haru doesn't have a harem.
-Chiyu's "care" is as close as a childhood friend, nothing more nothing less. She's still dating with Taku.
-Niko falls in love with Haru? LOL. It's obvious that all of her actions towards Haru is purely for her own entertainment.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/

Jun 23, 2012 4:44 PM

Wherever this thread might be heading, I'll stay on topic: I have a problem with it because, I am mean, when a cool-looking character does something stupid, I'll be like: Baka, but when this guy does something remotely cool I'll be like: Shut up Fat pig. It is about his looks and because of human nature. I would explain this further, but that would mean explaining human behaviour and the psychology of humans.

Jun 23, 2012 5:09 PM

kaimax said:
-Chiyu's "care" is as close as a childhood friend, nothing more nothing less. She's still dating with Taku.
-Niko falls in love with Haru? LOL. It's obvious that all of her actions towards Haru is purely for her own entertainment.
Like reducing 99% of her points and being put in the hospital? *skeptical face*

Jun 23, 2012 5:16 PM

Haru ''fat''ain't normal . Take a good look again lol . The author make him a chibi+fat ? Lol ?

You don't see anyone hating on Daru from steins gate right ? He might be fat , but its normal and ain't some overboard chibi character . THus everyone is able to look without getting their eye sore .
Actually glad that nepal is facing disaster

Jun 23, 2012 5:20 PM

ghritke said:

You don't see anyone hating on Daru from steins gate right ? He might be fat , but its normal and ain't some overboard chibi character . THus everyone is able to look without getting their eye sore .

You don't see anyone hating Manta in Shaman King right? So why the double standard now?

Jun 23, 2012 5:29 PM

kaimax said:
ghritke said:

You don't see anyone hating Manta in Shaman King right? So why the double standard now?
hey now... you messed up your quotes, iv never seen steins gate

Jun 23, 2012 5:42 PM

manta ? I don't even know who's that lol
Edit: Another example please :)

hey now... you messed up your quotes, iv never seen steins gate

Knowing someone is fat in a series , won't spoil you .
Modified by Kappa-ing, Jun 23, 2012 5:46 PM

Jun 23, 2012 5:49 PM

kaimax said:
ghritke said:

But that guy was there for comic relief, a character who can't be taken serious and who was left out lot on the beginning of the series when it became serious. But when the protagonist of this series tries to be serious it just doesn't work because he looks stupid and ridiculous, if there were a guy like that in my class, I might also be one of those people bullying him, but that is because somebody needs to be the like that. In anime it can't be the main character and if it is, at least make him something to look at where you won't get pissed of immediately.
Modified by Karpman, Jun 23, 2012 5:53 PM

Jun 23, 2012 5:59 PM

Karpman said:
kaimax said:
spacebar said:

But that guy was there for comic relief, a character who can't be taken serious and who was left out lot on the beginning of the series when it became serious. But when the protagonist of this series tries to be serious it just doesn't work because he looks stupid and ridiculous, if there were a guy like that in my class, I might also be one of those people bullying him, but that is because somebody needs to be the like that. In anime it can't be the main character and if it is, at least make him something to look at where you won't get pissed of immediately.
fixed that for ya

Jun 24, 2012 3:40 AM

It seems I must repeat myself every page so people can get the meaning behind character design... Well, I won't this time.

But really, seeing things like "Pissing me off, when I watch him, I'd bully him in real life too", "oh noez, the chibiness and fatness makes my eyes sore", is beyond sad... Well, you can't ask for much from 70% of the population of Earth anyways.

Autocrat said:

Jun 24, 2012 3:56 AM

Like what?
he isn't fat he is spherical
and I don't mind spherical characters - still there is place for only one this season

what is bad is that he is whining about reality hating him, does dumb things and so on - and this has nothing to do with how he looks, heck looking at all those Bishies he is more realistical than many of those :P

Jun 24, 2012 12:26 PM

Dalek-baka said:

what is bad is that he is whining about reality hating him, does dumb things and so on - and this has nothing to do with how he looks,

But reality is hating him. Even the audience is mocking his look and downrating/dropping the series because of his looks.

And thus this is the whole purpose of his look. Let me reiterate what was mentioned on every page by our persistent friend.
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:

Jun 24, 2012 3:06 PM

.... I thought the him being drawn differently (not fat and short, but a distinct animation style different from everythingelse) was intentional and was sort of hoping for a twist (like hes already in a game, hence looking different) or some such.
I just got off watching Mirrai Nikki, can you tell? >.>;
Someone must be about to die: they're playing j-pop disco! -Frohike

Jun 24, 2012 3:15 PM

Immahnoob said:
It seems I must repeat myself every page so people can get the meaning behind character design... Well, I won't this time.

But really, seeing things like "Pissing me off, when I watch him, I'd bully him in real life too", "oh noez, the chibiness and fatness makes my eyes sore", is beyond sad... Well, you can't ask for much from 70% of the population of Earth anyways.

But for what reason is anime airing? For profit. If more people dislike the show than they like it. It is a failure, I encourage that they have tried something new, but really, the show's theme isn't right for it either, something action-fantasy oriented should not deal with life problems, there are genres which can deal better with that. For Shounen anime, there needs to be a bad-ass cool character who powers up randomly from bullshit resolve, not someone pathetic. The idea of bringing bullied people up and showing they can be nice and cool is good, but not for this kind of anime, rather for something Slice Of life kind of style.

Jun 24, 2012 3:29 PM

5layer said:

Still waiting for a severly-acne-affected main char to appear in an anime someday.

Theres actually a reason for that- besides animators being brats... Its difficult to animate consistently :/
Someone must be about to die: they're playing j-pop disco! -Frohike

Jun 24, 2012 4:57 PM

Karpman said:
Immahnoob said:

But for what reason is anime airing? For profit. If more people dislike the show than they like it. It is a failure, I encourage that they have tried something new, but really, the show's theme isn't right for it either, something action-fantasy oriented should not deal with life problems, there are genres which can deal better with that. For Shounen anime, there needs to be a bad-ass cool character who powers up randomly from bullshit resolve, not someone pathetic.The idea of bringing bullied people up and showing they can be nice and cool is good, but not for this kind of anime, rather for something Slice Of life kind of style.

Why not?
Who made that rule? All of that is just your opinion and preferences. Shonen isn't about "cool looking people" growing up with power, but more about random people that's growing up with power.

More Peopled don't like it? It's more like superficial westerners that doesn't it.
According in this site http://anime.biglobe.ne.jp/userranking/title/32231/, Accel World is the 3rd most popularanime this spring season.

and honestly if people really disliked it, then why in hell that this won the Dengeki Novel Prize in 2008. Is it because the protag is fat? No. It's because they like the story. Being fat doesn't mean anything to the industry you are judged by the quality of the work not you appearance.

It's damn right discrimination if you did judge anything by it's appearance.

Jun 24, 2012 6:57 PM

kaimax said:

oh please. It's obvious Chiyu has feelings for him. She's only with Taku, because porky wasn't interested.

Accel World might be popular, but do those people like piggy or think he fits as the main char? doubtful.

Jun 24, 2012 8:18 PM

mystik said:

Accel World might be popular, but do those people like piggy or think he fits as the main char? doubtful.

Base your statements with facts, not with your assumptions.

Jun 24, 2012 8:35 PM

Karpman said:
Immahnoob said:

But for what reason is anime airing? For profit. If more people dislike the show than they like it. It is a failure, I encourage that they have tried something new, but really, the show's theme isn't right for it either, something action-fantasy oriented should not deal with life problems, there are genres which can deal better with that. For Shounen anime, there needs to be a bad-ass cool character who powers up randomly from bullshit resolve, not someone pathetic. The idea of bringing bullied people up and showing they can be nice and cool is good, but not for this kind of anime, rather for something Slice Of life kind of style.
And you clearly missed the point of this show.
This is about how the lines of virtual reality and real life is blurred. The things that happen in the game are affecting the people in real life and vice versa. The part where the Brain Burst program accessed the fears, inferiority complex and insecurities of the person and created the Duel Avatar because of that should have been a sign. And Haru has learned to deal about his real life problems, slowly but surely, by duking it out in the game and learning things there, as the game can also be considered as another reality.
Really, don't think that because this is a shounen/fighting show doesn't mean it's not allowed to have those kinds of things.

Jun 25, 2012 4:28 AM

And that's why some anime get dissed liked this. "It's shounen, it can't have anything more than mindless fighting and overpowered main characters that never die". Well get over it...

It seems the new shounen's like to add some mature themes or hidden meanings.
kaimax said:
mystik said:

Base your statements with facts, not with your assumptions.

He's taking everything at heart from his first comment to this one, so no use talking to him.

Autocrat said:

Jun 25, 2012 10:22 PM

Shuu ouma (Guilty Crown) + Eric Cartman (South park) = Arita Haruyuki.

MIND BLOWN!
Modified by JeffreyZin, Jul 18, 2012 6:08 AM

Jun 27, 2012 8:08 PM

The real problem isn't the protagonist being fat, it's the way he is drawn and his personality.

He looks more like a piggy in real life than in his avatar form, i think they should have made him look a bit more... proportional? And his emo/depressive breakdown moments doesn't help either.

Jun 27, 2012 8:18 PM

savyorick said:
The real problem isn't the protagonist being fat, it's the way he is drawn and his personality.

He looks more like a piggy in real life than in his avatar form, i think they should have made him look a bit more... proportional? And his emo/depressive breakdown moments doesn't help either.

^Like I said , Why I don't mind Daru which is fat from Steins Gate ? because Haru is not proportional , author decided to make him Chibi . And he's the protagonist . *Pukes*

Jun 27, 2012 8:24 PM

Wut a fat protagonist character? What anime?

Jun 27, 2012 8:35 PM

Frdrz said:
Wut a fat protagonist character? What anime?

Sumo legends

Jun 27, 2012 10:14 PM

For me it's even more ridiculous to see the bitches fighting over him without any motive.

I mean, he isn't that awesome badass pimp he is just a plain (No pun) cliché shounen character and to make matters worse... the way he is drawn... /facepalm

Jun 28, 2012 5:12 PM

savyorick said:
For me it's even more ridiculous to see the bitches fighting over him without any motive.

I mean, he isn't that awesome badass pimp he is just a plain (No pun) cliché shounen character and to make matters worse... the way he is drawn... /facepalm

QFT.
Really, nerd paradise. Maybe thats the goal, who knows. Looks out of place and really awkward in any case, to be honest.
Modified by AlexGK, Jun 28, 2012 5:15 PM

Jun 29, 2012 12:12 PM

AlexGK said:
Maybe thats the goal, who knows. Looks out of place and really awkward in any case, to be honest.

No. The goal is to sell figurines of the lolis. They already made a ton of figurines for Kuroyukihime and the avatars, but zero of Haru. In the various articles on anime magazines, they are the focus, not Haru. Probably only here where there's so many discussion about Haru. The producers are probably face-palming if they see this thread. "We have the lolis, the figurines, yet people are talking about Haru? What did we do wrong?"

Jun 29, 2012 10:44 PM

pika2000 said:
AlexGK said:
Maybe thats the goal, who knows. Looks out of place and really awkward in any case, to be honest.

No. The goal is to sell figurines of the lolis. They already made a ton of figurines for Kuroyukihime and the avatars, but zero of Haru. In the various articles on anime magazines, they are the focus, not Haru. Probably only here where there's so many discussion about Haru. The producers are probably face-palming if they see this thread. "We have the lolis, the figurines, yet people are talking about Haru? What did we do wrong?"

Hahaha, I don't know for the others, but for me it's not like I love Haru or anything. I just understand the point of making him the way he is at the moment, and I don't mind such a thing, hating on it's design for trying to be different and trying to show something isn't something that should be hated. Plus, figurines of female characters > male characters, they always sell more.

Autocrat said:

Jun 29, 2012 11:39 PM

pika2000 said:
AlexGK said:

You outdone yourself with the design and characteristic of the main male characters . Congratulations !!!

Jun 30, 2012 4:48 PM

Meh, I really do hope they make him loose weight later on...

Like they can make him grow taller and loose weight as a result of height...

Jul 2, 2012 1:44 PM

Enslavement said:
Meh, I really do hope they make him loose weight later on...

Like they can make him grow taller and loose weight as a result of height...

Yes, because if you get taller you lose weight, it is so logical. It is definitely not that he looks thinner because of the comparison. Even if they fix his uhh.. roundness, there is still that face.

Pages (16) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »