Accel World (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 3, 2012 10:15 AM

Jun 2008
So, what's the problem?
There's been some post discriminating about his size, like :
MC is kinda short and fat

wtf i understand the main character having to be weak and stuff but why does he have to be a pig and look like a retarded muffin in real life

The real question is WHY NOT?
And it's not like his real appearance "affects" his performance in the Virtual World.
At least he's not the perverted type.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Pages (16) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2012 10:17 AM

Apr 2010
Because people are superficial like that.

It's all about the looks, my friend.
Apr 3, 2012 10:27 AM

Jul 2011
yea i kinda agree with you kaimax, people are really hating him because he is small and fat and are saying he fails as an MC, if i was short and fat i would feel insulted by this, whats so wrong with him being fat?

i find him pretty refreshing considering most MC's are tall and skinny and even if he is a wimp he has 22 episodes to develop into a stronger character
Apr 3, 2012 10:41 AM

Jun 2008
Solkiskey said:
It's all about the looks, my friend.

But I thought only girls that care about the looks of any other man....Trololol

Apr 3, 2012 10:51 AM

Apr 2008
I'm not really caught up about looks - I mean I understand looks are only skin deep, I'm quite fit myself but I understand why people have prejudices against fat people.

In reality your genetics have a lot to do with whether you'll get fat or not, your metabolism decides how much pounds you'll pile on, people ignore this and see fat people as gluttons who don't exercise and eat heaps of shit - I mean instead of say somebody who suffers from a disease or a disability - they see the idea of BEING FAT - as a self inflicted harm and thus they think it's okay to make fun of people who are.

Growing up I have found that fat people are quite pleasant "a fat man is a happy man" they're usually quite jolly.
Apr 3, 2012 11:01 AM

May 2011
Fat bitch magnet isn't a problem, but feels like they are trying too much by making the MC so different from all the rest characters.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Apr 3, 2012 11:04 AM

Apr 2011
well, the MC is..yeah fat but he's cool! I'm gonna watch this anime... also, kuroyukihime is such a hottie! can't let myself slip this one :) I think their romance (MC & Hime) is quiet interesting.. It's a change of pace too..
Apr 3, 2012 11:09 AM

Jan 2008
No issue with him being fat here. My issue is how short he is (like 1/2 of everyone's size) and his character design. At least they could have made him LOOK similar to the other characters in the series.

Well, I guess at least we can obviously differentiate between the actual main male character and the rest of the cast.

Strangely, this might just be me, but it seems people tend to be simply hating on any characters Kaji Yuki has been VA'ing since Shu.
PaulApr 3, 2012 11:12 AM
Apr 3, 2012 11:16 AM

Aug 2008
I have no problem with his looks, I actually think that this kind of character design is unique in a good way.
But damn he really is pathetic. Characteristics, I mean.

But anyway, even though I said I don't mind him being short and fat. Isn't this a bit too much? He looks just like a dwarf. Or maybe he is?
Apr 3, 2012 11:17 AM

Dec 2011
KaitoDash said:
I have no problem with his looks, I actually think that this kind of character design is unique in a good way.
But damn he really is pathetic. Characteristics, I mean.

But anyway, even though I said I don't mind him being short and fat. Isn't this a bit too much? He looks just like a dwarf. Or maybe he is?

LoL maybe...

Still I think he is great....
Apr 3, 2012 11:24 AM

Sep 2011
I don't care that he's fat. I think he's a dick.

Except when he's a pig because I can't hate pigs.
[center]
Apr 3, 2012 11:34 AM

Jul 2011
Paul said:
but it seems people tend to be simply hating on any characters Kaji Yuki has been VA'ing since Shu.

i thought the same thing too but i thought it was just me

i still dont find him to be really strange tbh and i dont see anything really wrong with him, though i do admit i think they could have maybe made him slightly taller and maybe less round shaped

i think he will become an interesting character, there are rarely any badass fat MCs, the only badass fat MC i have encountered is kouta hirano of HOTD so haruyuki will be interesting to watch
Apr 3, 2012 11:39 AM

Jun 2008
Digglett said:

If you haven't read the manga, then read it to find out why his avatar is a pig.

Apr 3, 2012 11:44 AM

Jan 2008
kaimax said:
Digglett said:

If you haven't read the manga, then read it to find out why his avatar is a pig.

Sadly, some dude already spoiled it in the EP2 discussion thread. Though didn't feel all that important to be honest.
Apr 3, 2012 12:01 PM

Apr 2011
Nope I don't see a problem with it. Every other Male MC is always strong, so why not go the other route and make him fat.
Apr 3, 2012 12:56 PM
Jul 2008
Because the design is ugly.
It has nothing to do with the guy being fat or not. The design Sucks.
Apr 3, 2012 1:04 PM

Sep 2011
screw the haters! there are not enough chubby main characters!
Apr 3, 2012 2:20 PM
Jan 2010
people are not used to such a huge change. but im glad that a series is trying to use a new kind of character. it's almost "revolutionary" (can't remember from the top of my head any other series that has a short, fat MC)
Apr 3, 2012 2:25 PM

Feb 2010
hahah haters gonna hate. it's just something to bitch about...

where are all the chubby chasers at? ha.
Apr 3, 2012 2:27 PM

Feb 2012
It's not the fact that his fat(but yes i don't like the idea that he is fat and it's hard to self insert myself to a short fat MC)but it's the fact that his character design is cartoony and out of place from the other characters. His more like a parody of a fat person, rather than being an actual fat person.
Apr 3, 2012 2:37 PM

Apr 2011
I actually like his design. He has Simon eyes mang.
Apr 3, 2012 2:39 PM

Nov 2011
I don't have problem with it.
Apr 3, 2012 2:56 PM
Feb 2012
I don't have any problem with the chubby protagonist. In fact, I support more characters as the MC. His design just vexes me, IMO.
Apr 3, 2012 4:06 PM

May 2011
i understand the fact that hes ment to be weak and stuff but when he stands next to people he too short the size just adds on to it, it looks like a disablilty or hes been mixed up with cartoons and anime XD

if he gets a relationship with that hot girl then its a problem indeed.
please make my breakfast every morning for me sweet cheeks! *bowling position"
Apr 3, 2012 4:15 PM

Feb 2012
I thought the fact that he was fat drew people to this anime.

Anyways, I don't like him because there are only two kinds of wimps that I like: those who work hard to get/use the power they receive (and it can't be something they're painfully talented in) or those who are not mature enough to use their power and end up self-destructing (like Shinji from Evangelion). I hate the ones that try to meet you half-way, and this guy is definitely trying to meet the audience half-way.

But a lot of people seem to like half-way wimps while hating the Shinji-like wimp, so from their perspective, he's not that bad.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Apr 3, 2012 4:24 PM

Jun 2008
Flawfinder said:
I hate the ones that try to meet you half-way, and this guy is definitely trying to meet the audience half-way. .

Well, the anime just started and the translated manga is only at chapter 10. So he's pretty much still starting as a noob. So, there's no way to assume that "he's going to be half-assed"

and looking from the way he wants to repay/"connect" with Kuroyukihime I doubt he's going to be half-assed as Shinji.. lol
at least he's maybe more of a Simon from Gurren Laggan.

Apr 3, 2012 4:27 PM

Jan 2008
Anime is adapted from the Light Novel, not the Manga... is it not? The LN has 10+ Volumes.
Apr 3, 2012 4:35 PM

May 2010
Paul said:
Anime is adapted from the Light Novel, not the Manga... is it not? The LN has 10+ Volumes.

Yes, adapted from LN but I think manga is just too late having translations.
Apr 3, 2012 4:37 PM

Mar 2012
Because almost all protagonists in mainstream everything ever are idealistic?

No one likes an unattractive protagonist, and by no one I mean the majority of people.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 3, 2012 5:08 PM

Nov 2011
Actually I replied to a similar comment on youtube.

COPY PASTE!

I don't mind the fact that he's fat, or the fact that he's a midget as well. . .
However their is a huge difference in his design(art style?) from him to everyone and the whole environment in the series. It's as if he literally came from a whole different cutesy anime world and was put into another. Like if I took a character from One Piece and stuck him/her in Clannad.
The end.
RagixApr 4, 2012 3:44 PM
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Apr 3, 2012 6:00 PM

Feb 2012
kaimax said:
Flawfinder said:
I hate the ones that try to meet you half-way, and this guy is definitely trying to meet the audience half-way. .

Well, the anime just started and the translated manga is only at chapter 10. So he's pretty much still starting as a noob. So, there's no way to assume that "he's going to be half-assed"

and looking from the way he wants to repay/"connect" with Kuroyukihime I doubt he's going to be half-assed as Shinji.. lol
at least he's maybe more of a Simon from Gurren Laggan.

Okay, but the point I was making was that I liked Shinji for the reason everyone hates him: because he was a wimp who couldn't handle the responsibilities given to him and ended up self-destructing. I like those kinds of wimps as long as the show doesn't glorify or try to make them look like a hero (like Shu from GC). And Shinji definitely wasn't getting any love in his own show.

I'm just not a fan of the main character being given stuff before he overcomes his complexes. Unless the stuff he's being given makes his life worse. At least then, his angst would become tolerable. Him being fat isn't enough of a difference to make me like that kind of character.
FlawfinderApr 3, 2012 6:06 PM
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Apr 3, 2012 6:37 PM

Sep 2011
kaimax said:

Eh, don't want to spoil myself. Going to asusme it's related to bullying, maybe?

Either way.. I love pigs so it's hard for me to hate him in that form. :<<<
[center]
Apr 3, 2012 9:26 PM

May 2008
I personally like the main character and i dont care if he is on the heavy side and not tall he is just great and it was about time. LOOKS ARENT EVERYTHING!.

I personally think he is cute and not fake so yeah i dont understand either why would it matter if he looks like he does.

He may be chubby and a shorty but his soo going to kick ass so who ever doesnt like that well thats too bad DEAL WITH IT.

Arita you rock!
Apr 3, 2012 11:45 PM

Jun 2008
Paul said:

But with only 2 1/2 translated volumes, in Bakatsuki.

Apr 4, 2012 5:30 AM

Jan 2008
kaimax said:
Paul said:

The amount of translated volumes doesn't affect the series.
Apr 4, 2012 2:32 PM

Jun 2008
Paul said:
kaimax said:
Paul said:

The amount of translated volumes doesn't affect the series.

But it affect readers who can't read Japanese.. lol
Initially I'm responding to flawfinder's post about "character progress midway" in the story, and for those who can't read Japanese, it just barely started with:
-the manga at chapter 10
-The light novel, barely at volume 3
-and the anime just started.

There's no way one would know his development with just that.
I just barely started the novel myself.

Apr 4, 2012 2:37 PM

Jun 2011
I actually do have a problem with it. I like animes where the characters have larger than life personas. If I wanted to see a little fat kid I'd go to an anime con.

Honestly, I can't stand to watch school animes where the main character is a pussy. Good thing Medaka Box has a swag mc.
tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod
Apr 4, 2012 2:38 PM

Sep 2009
I think it's wonderful and unique that the main character is fat; it's very rare to find an anime with an overweight protagonist. In fact, I can't even think of one I've seen.
Apr 4, 2012 3:08 PM

Mar 2012
My only problem with this anime is that the protagonist is to short. i don't mind him being fat, but why so short? His drawings also aren't the same as the other character drawings. This anime loses its appeal the moment you see how short he is compared to everyone else in the anime. Everything is good for now. I'll still watch it till the end though. :)
Apr 4, 2012 3:34 PM

Oct 2008
I don't mind the visual look of the protagonist. What I kind of mind is that they put another whinny boy with a total lack of confidence in himself. I know that this is done purposefully for "character growth" (no pun intended), but we honestly don't need anymore stereotypical male protagonists...
Apr 4, 2012 3:39 PM

Nov 2008
http://thetelevixen.com/wp-content/uploads/LAWRENCE_ALWAYS_SUNNY_ROB_053.jpg&w=630&h=250&zc=1" />

Fat guys are awesome. Anime has spoiled you people ^_-
Apr 4, 2012 3:44 PM

Nov 2011
icamehere said:
I actually do have a problem with it. I like animes where the characters have larger than life personas. If I wanted to see a little fat kid I'd go to an anime con.

^ I loled.

I also love how their is already a handful of reviews when only two episodes have been released. I mean it's kind of jumping the gun don't you think?
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Apr 4, 2012 3:53 PM

Jan 2008
Ragix said:
I also love how their is already a handful of reviews when only two episodes have been released. I mean it's kind of jumping the gun don't you think?

Welcome to MyAnimeList.
Apr 4, 2012 4:21 PM

Feb 2011
I don't even notice it at all, personally. Weak, male protagonist is weak. They all look the same to me after a while.
Apr 4, 2012 4:22 PM

Jan 2008
Ardamaeus said:
I don't even notice it at all, personally. Weak, male protagonist is weak. They all look the same to me after a while.

Considering how short he is, of course you wouldn't see him.
Apr 4, 2012 4:33 PM
Mar 2012
I think the problem is the art choice seems odd. Not fat or anything, it just looks drastically different than everyone else. But he is so not-serious-looking that you end up taking him serious!

WIN WIN BABY
YEAH~
Apr 4, 2012 4:56 PM

Oct 2010
I actually like the main character

The fact that he's over weight just makes the anime more interesting. The reason I started watching this anime was because he was chubby.

I guess everyone has their own opinions regarding this.
Apr 4, 2012 5:24 PM
Aug 2010
not gonna judge his personality yet as it's only been 2 episodes but i like that he's fat, it's the only reason i started watching this. i hope he improves as a PERSON by the end of it. i'm fat myself so i guess it's nice to see a protagonist who is. (it would also be nice if he doesn't turn out to be one of those bland-as-hell japanese male protagonists but lbr that's probably going to happen)

what i don't like is that his design is so different from the rest of the characters, i find it insulting for some reason. like, they couldn't draw a fat guy realistically..?
Apr 4, 2012 5:35 PM

Jun 2009
the only one problem for me is his f*cking disgusting SEIYUU!
Apr 4, 2012 8:02 PM

May 2010
IZUMI64 said:
the only one problem for me is his f*cking disgusting SEIYUU!

What's wrong with Yuki Kaji as seiyuu? LOL
Pages (16) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Accel World Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 21, 2012

453 by Orin23 »»
Feb 20, 4:14 AM

» The episodes 16 to half of 24, gave me an anguish & pissed off reaction

Kiryotsu - Feb 3

3 by Eckl3 »»
Feb 4, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Accel World Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 14, 2012

185 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 11, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Accel World Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2012

223 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 10, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Accel World Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 13, 2012

178 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 10, 4:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.