MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Why do people have a problem with the protagonist being Fat?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Accel World »» Why do people have a problem with the protagonist being Fat?

Pages (39) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »
04-29-12, 2:36 AM

not at all - my problem with this anime is the fact that it has no likeable main characters and the plot has left me less than thrilled....reminds me of the way guilty crown left me feeling: empty...

04-29-12, 6:13 AM

It depends greatly on what they do with him in the series, but personally I think the characters' design is ingenious. It's not just the fact he's a hefty guy, I think even his overall design illustrates the point of the character really well. Everything about this character seems designed to attract attack...even amongst quite a few of us in the audience. He's round. He design wise doesn't fit in(I don't think he's like...ugly though. Kinda harsh. lol He seems designed to be more "cute", although it does definitely clash regardless) He's not a character designed for escapism (from the audience anyways), to self-insert into or be larger than life with. He can't even be written off as comedy relief, which is what usually happens with characters like this. You HAVE to deal with the bs he puts up with, and you either sympathize off the bat or you hate the character...but even he hates himself. At least in the beginning.

He's a kid who's been kicked around and dismissed hard just because of who he is, which has in turn made his personality the way it is which just in turn makes it worse; and while the design does kind of stand out sometimes...looking at it from a more metaphorical point of view it's very fitting. Based off of what I've seen of the manga and light novel even a little further ahead, I think a major theme of the story isn't just transcending your limits...it's also about surfaces. In the accelerated world, the surfaces people have in the real world don't matter as much which is where a lot of the dichotomy of the story's premise comes from. If you guys stick with the story, you're gonna find that a sort of running theme is that Haru wears his uglier traits more out in the open...but he's got a good heart, whereas many of the "prettier" characters who seem genuine, cool, or well intentioned are usually hiding something a little uglier. So love it or hate it, personally I think he's very much made for this story.

I think the fact his avatar is a pig is fitting too, even if it wasn't his original one; not because of the superficial reason but because in the Chinese Zodiac, a lot about the pig fits this characters' whole concept extremely well. Especially how pigs deal with pain and betrayal.
Modified by NoFun7, 04-30-12, 8:39 AM

04-29-12, 8:32 AM

kururugikai said:
really?
from what i see in the first half of episode 4,
he is a GAY.
(how could "normal people" call a dream with two bishoujo as a "nightmare"?)
I was wondering why people said "nightmare" so I watched again and I don't think it's "nightmare"! He's using "soutei" or "sotei" (hard to know since he was crying at the same time) but the two worlds meaning is "assumption/supposition" who could be translated more like "dream" but since he was crying "nightmare" was used by subbers?
Still, even if the world was "nightmare" (akumu), why "gay"???? His best girl friend, who's boyfriend is his best guy friend assault him... I'm not sure most of the guys will be happy!!! If you were, what a good friendship... and about Kurohime, she's like a "real" princess for him, someone too far since he had absolutely no self esteem... it's definitely a bad dream for him!

Paul said:
amayih said:
MAL's topics are funny! A main chara is fat AND small!!!! Oh chocking!
Seriously, no one (almost?) complain when:
- a 30+ years old woman (or even an highschool girl) looks like 10 years old
- an elementary school girls or loli have D+ cup
- a skinny girl have E+ cup! sometimes we don't know how she can even stand right with so big and heavy boobs!!
It's because all those are common.

Common in anime, not IRL! But still, it's not at all believable so why complaining about a small fat chara? there are bishoujo chara around him, so where's the problem? if the girls you like sexy/loli/whatever where the opposite, you could complain about it! if this kind of chara was in a supposed bishounen anime (like reverse harem...) I would maybe also complain (but I don't think so), but here it's not a problem! He looks different because he is different! And his personality, except his lack of self esteem (who is quiet normal because of this body!) is quiet good, much better than a lot of main chara, at least in first episodes!

LeopardTheGreat said:
30+ year old but looks like 10 what. Damn I must have missed it, someone direct me to the anime where this happened.
Also, why is this conversation still going? The question seems to have been answered.
Ro-Kyu-Bu, the MC auntie, I don't know what old she is in fact, but since MC is 16(?), MC's mother should have at least 35(?) so her sister around 30? but if you put here near the loli basket club you will see no difference! Quiet the same for Clannad, Ibuki Kouko maybe don't look 10 but not so much older, or the teacher in Index/Railgun, and other in Kore wa Zombie desu ka (even if it's not really a human woman (?) she's still looks like elementary girl! But it's easy in anime since we ofter don't know the "real" age of the chara if they are supposed to be adult!

04-29-12, 9:42 AM

kururugikai said:

really?
from what i see in the first half of episode 4,
he is a GAY.
(how could "normal people" call a dream with two bishoujo as a "nightmare"?)

For someone who doesn't socialize this would be a nightmare. Being forced to do someting outside your comfort zone isn't something you'd want to do, unless you're ready for it. He isn't gay, he is only insecure in every aspect...As Black Lotus/Snow Black said he is insanely fragile...He wants to play games and to hide in his little hole so that nobody else can bully him, including the two girls that were about to have sex with him in his dream.

You would call such dreams nightmares as well when you kept being bullied or when you lost the current attitude you currently have. Think a little please or try and get yourself bullied to see why he is the way he is.
Modified by EuroSubstance, 04-29-12, 10:04 AM

04-29-12, 9:54 AM

LeopardTheGreat said:
Paul said:
amayih said:
MAL's topics are funny! A main chara is fat AND small!!!! Oh chocking!
Seriously, no one (almost?) complain when:
- a 30+ years old woman (or even an highschool girl) looks like 10 years old
- an elementary school girls or loli have D+ cup
- a skinny girl have E+ cup! sometimes we don't know how she can even stand right with so big and heavy boobs!!

It's because all those are common.

30+ year old but looks like 10 what. Damn I must have missed it, someone direct me to the anime where this happened.

Also, why is this conversation still going? The question seems to have been answered.
'

Not sure if they're pass 30 yet but they're definitely in the 20's or up.
-Hitomi Hitoyoshi (Can't really tell her based on the picture on MAL. Here's the scene in the manga <- Don't click if your watching the anime and don't want spoilers)
-Komoe Tsukuyomi (Her age isn't stated she's indeed 'old' but just read the summary. You find her smoking and drinking in the show.)
-God from Maria Holic might work too. Lol

I'm sure there are more 'old' loli's but I'm not gonna go through.

04-29-12, 9:58 AM

I don't mind if Haruyuki is fat, skinny, tall or short...Just as long as he doesn't end up being useless. I'm fine with his character style. From episode 4 he showed me he could man up - when pigs fly - to reach goals and to protect those that he likes so he is a worthy character, so far. When he cares, he cares. Anything that adds a breath of fresh air is always awesome, and not in a farting manner.

What I dislike about such are the people pretending to be intelligent without even realizing what bullying does to you both physically and mentally. If you haven't experienced it (bullying) then you are no expert; taking your crap with a giant heap of salt.
People even killed themselves because of bullying so it isn't a laughing matter as well. Speaking of which, I'm surprised that he didn't kill himself because of such. Guess he is mentally stronger than he seems, all thanks to a helping hand and his trusty little game.

Trust - it's so hard to gain when everybody wants to be your enemy.
Modified by EuroSubstance, 04-29-12, 10:05 AM

04-29-12, 4:42 PM

EuroSubstance said:

What I dislike about such are the people pretending to be intelligent without even realizing what bullying does to you both physically and mentally. If you haven't experienced it (bullying) then you are no expert; taking your crap with a giant heap of salt.
People even killed themselves because of bullying so it isn't a laughing matter as well. Speaking of which, I'm surprised that he didn't kill himself because of such. Guess he is mentally stronger than he seems, all thanks to a helping hand and his trusty little game.

^This. The amount of tasteless comments in this thread is amazing. It turned out to be a magnet for all those bully-wannabes on MAL.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?

04-29-12, 5:05 PM

I thought we were just discussing whether a fat main character is suitable to be in this anime and peoples opinion on him ? How did this turned into a bullying discussion. Haha

04-29-12, 5:48 PM

EuroSubstance said:

Excuse me that I can't find sympathy for this unfortunate soul. Oh woe is Haru. With his pretty child hood friend who throws herself at him and makes him food on a daily basis. He's so alone.

And his weight in itself is hilarious when you think about the time he devotes to digital squash.

04-30-12, 12:13 AM

I don't mind at all if he's short or fat, I just don't like that he looks alot more cartoon-ish compared to every other person.

04-30-12, 12:16 AM

Krasie said:
EuroSubstance said:

Excuse me that I can't find sympathy for this unfortunate soul. Oh woe is Haru. With his pretty child hood friend who throws herself at him and makes him food on a daily basis. He's so alone.

And his weight in itself is hilarious when you think about the time he devotes to digital squash.

04-30-12, 3:02 AM

Krasie said:

here an example of a typical bully LOL

04-30-12, 5:00 AM

Otakus being shallow towards a fat fictional character.

If anything they should express their empathy.

Zing.
Modified by Amphinobi, 05-01-12, 9:23 PM

04-30-12, 5:08 AM

Clive-choi said:
I don't really care about the fact that they designed him to be a short fat kid, but his inner character is so pathetic. He thinks of himself as a disgrace just because he's chubby and gets bullied? It's his own damn fault for not getting his friends (which he fortunately has) to help him or reporting them to someone of authority. I know plenty of fat guys that are nerds who stand up for themselves and don't take shit from people.

P.S : He's lucky that chiyuri is still his friend even after what he did to the lunch she offered him.

qft

04-30-12, 5:18 AM

Not surprising that this thread ends up with many people with "I'm holier than thou" attitude. These people rarely try to understand his mind and just forces their own minds as a solution.

"He could just tell his friends"
Refer back to episode 1, He doesn't want to involve any of his precious friends against someone like Araya, who uses Illegal programs.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/

04-30-12, 8:04 PM

I don't give my empathy/sympathy to fat people, they can easily lose their weight by having a proper nutrition/diet and do cardio exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. Its all about determination.

To those people who say ''I'm born fat, its so hard to lose weight, you are lucky because you aren't an endomorph like me ''

-F**k you, you're just lazy and giving excuses.

Sorry, this is kinda off-topic. But yeah and the MC inner character is extremely annoying . *bitchslap*
Modified by Spacebar, 04-30-12, 8:10 PM

04-30-12, 9:31 PM

The major thing I'm bugged by is his height.

I don't really care if he's chubby, but how will he kiss his hime? How?

Of course, I would've much preferred if it he were skinny, average height, physically suck, "ugly"(?), bad at sports, whatever, etc.

'Cuz even fat people aren't balloon shaped and that short.

04-30-12, 10:32 PM

PeKan said:
The major thing I'm bugged by is his height.

I don't really care if he's chubby, but how will he kiss his hime? How?

Of course, I would've much preferred if it he were skinny, average height, physically suck, "ugly"(?), bad at sports, whatever, etc.

'Cuz even fat people aren't balloon shaped and that short.

^what he said and now to think about it, how is he gonna kiss his hime. Must he stand on a chair ? Must she bend down ? She will get severe backaches if that goes on forever .

04-30-12, 11:27 PM

so i guess at the very least you want him to be leg height to the regular ppl?
if they make him like that, he might look much "uglier" than he did before. teh chibiness is saving him from having more ppl drop this.

05-01-12, 5:07 AM

supermegasonic said:
so i guess at the very least you want him to be leg height to the regular ppl?
if they make him like that, he might look much "uglier" than he did before. teh chibiness is saving him from having more ppl drop this.

It didn't stopped me from dropping it . Heck, its not even in my list. :)

Pages (39) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices