Forum Settings
Forums

Misleading or overexaggerated titles for a series (NOT non-sensical titles)

New
Apr 2, 2012 8:57 PM

Jun 2008
The most obvious that fits this was World Destruction. When you hear about this, what do you think about first? I thought it was going to be some thriller set in a soon-to-be or post-apocalyptic world. 6 episodes in, and it just looked too generic, and not at all as serious as the title suggested. Sure the series is focused on some tool that can destroy the world, but the random generic fights was not what I expected.

Another case is the legend of the legendary heroes. Man, does redundancy ever benefit a title such as this? Can people really take this series seriously? Surprisingly it was actually had a pretty serious and rather interesting story, but the initial impression begged for lolworthy motivational pictures.

I guess Bleach could be another one. A series about detergent? Wait wat. I literally thought about this before I saw the show.

Any other titles where you found titles deceptive? Or where you expected from the title that something would happen but pretty much didn't?

NOTE: Please understand the difference between misleading and nonsensical.

Something that you believe to be nonsensical cannot be misleading because you have no preconceived image toward what it will be. Something misleading is you have a preconceived image of what it will be but find out that it's something different.

An example of a nonsensical title is Durarara. People who haven't seen it will likely have no idea what it means. This, however, is not misleading because most people will have no expectations to what it will be like. This is different than a misleading title like School Days, where you expect a normal slice of life anime in a school but find out it is totally something different.

There is series that is on the boundary of both of them, like Bakuman. Where it's both kind of nonsensical and misleading.
TachiiApr 4, 2012 4:58 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 2, 2012 8:59 PM

May 2008
Summer Wars. Only one "war".

Candy Boy. It's about two girls. No boys.

Katanagatari. Too much gatari; not enough katana.

Fruits Basket. Not a single basket of fruits. Disappointed.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama. Yeah, sounds so sketch, but thankfully never was.

What Was So Significant About The Name Of The Flower We Saw That Day That We Just Had To Make Such A Long Title About It?!
(Ano Hana)
FauxAznApr 16, 2012 4:35 PM
Apr 2, 2012 9:06 PM

Jun 2008
LOLyes. And it wasn't much of a war either.

xxxHolic would be another one. WHY THE TRIPLE X GUYS? I can't help but think what my parents were thinking when they see these files on my computer with 3 Xs on it.
Apr 2, 2012 9:08 PM

Sep 2011
To Aru Majutsu no Index.

In the anime, Index spends like 90% of her screen time sitting around in Touma's apartment.
Apr 2, 2012 9:09 PM
Jul 2018
FauxAzn said:

And wait... did they ever show what the flower was that we saw that day?! (Ano Hana)

Apr 2, 2012 9:11 PM

Feb 2011
FauxAzn said:

LOL. Five internets.

Princess Tutu. Man, I'm so glad I overlooked the title and watched the series.
Apr 2, 2012 9:14 PM

Apr 2012
- Bleach sounds like an underground art-house film
- I thought Beck was about the musician
- Legend of the Galactic Heroes sounds like a kids show
- Gundam Unicorn (unicorns, durr)
- Ghost in the Shell is obviously a horror anime
- Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya should be renamed Delusions of a Crazy Bitch
Apr 2, 2012 9:15 PM

May 2008
jpem said:
FauxAzn said:

And wait... did they ever show what the flower was that we saw that day?! (Ano Hana)

Hmmm, then I'll phrase it as: What Was So Significant About The Name Of The Flower We Saw That Day That We Just Had To Make Such A Long Title About It?
Well, I guess if "flower" refers to Menma...
FauxAznApr 4, 2012 3:09 AM
Apr 2, 2012 9:18 PM

Sep 2011
FauxAzn said:
jpem said:
FauxAzn said:

Hmmm, then I'll phrase it as: What Was So Significant About The Flower We Saw That Day That We Just Had To Make Such A Long Title?
Well, I guess if "flower" refers to Menma...

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=300466

Open to interpretation.
Apr 2, 2012 9:20 PM

Jun 2008
ciddypoo said:
To Aru Majutsu no Index.

In the anime, Index spends like 90% of her screen time sitting around in Touma's apartment.
When I saw a few episodes I thought it was going to be different, but lol. Can she even be considered as a main character?

Fruits basket. Was this completely just a random term that's vaguely interpreted in the anime or was it never mentioned at all?

Gundam Unicorn. Hahahaha. Yes, I couldn't help but laugh when I heard the word. It just seems totally mismatched with the word Gundam. Are we going to have ponies and pretty rainbows next? My goodness.
Apr 2, 2012 9:21 PM

Sep 2007
.hack//G.U. Trilogy - It's only one movie wtf
Sweat Punch - What the shit does this title even mean
Apr 2, 2012 9:25 PM

Mar 2012
MM! - wtf ? does this even mean anything?
over drive - sounds like a race car anime but bicycles?
bakuman? - ive never heard that word described in the manga nor anime b4
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/LuckyMango

http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/LuckyMango

Feel free to comment on my profile for anime recommendations.
Ill try my best to help! Remember don't message me. Comment!
Apr 2, 2012 9:26 PM

Jun 2008
Speaking of which, what about Heroic Age?

You'd think it's about some epic events in some historical era.

Turns out the protagonist's name is Age. ARE YOU SRS? To be fair it did seem to be events that will change the face of civilization but still, wow.
Apr 2, 2012 9:27 PM

Sep 2011
Tachii said:
ciddypoo said:
To Aru Majutsu no Index.

When I saw a few episodes I thought it was going to be different, but lol. Can she even be considered as a main character?

Fruits basket. Was this completely just a random term that's vaguely interpreted in the anime or was it never mentioned at all?

I don't see her as a main in the anime at all.

Fruits Basket

I haven't seen Gundam Unicorn, but I'd wager it has something to do with it being in/an alternate timeline for the UC.
Apr 2, 2012 9:28 PM
Mar 2012
Annoiato said:
-- Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya should be renamed Delusions of a Crazy Bitch

LOL! So true...

As it was already said by Tachii: The Legend of Legendary Heroes its terrrible redundant name... even in japanese sounds bad

xxxHolic I spent years pronuncing it wrong ...and talking about Clamp:
Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE
What is the deal with the words here?

And there is also this anime:
Moryo no Hako, wich means Box of Goblins
There are no goblins! If it was Box with heads it would be ok though :P

Apr 2, 2012 9:37 PM

Jan 2012
Not quite getting what is being asked by the OP, but I have a few weak examples anyway.

Soul Eater - Exaggeration. It began with being about eating souls, and I thought that that would be the center point of the show. However, after the beginning, eating souls rarely ever happened.

Clannad - What the heck is a Clannad? Why was that the name of the show?

Lucky Star - What is this I don't even
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 2012 9:42 PM

Jun 2008
Well it has to be a title that gave you a wrong impression of the series. Something nonsensical to you such as Clannad doesn't tell you anything about what the series will be.

It seems after a google Clannad is some Irish/Gaelic word for family. Who knew? Well, Irish people, I suppose.
Apr 2, 2012 9:43 PM

May 2008
RedStarLight said:
Clannad = family.

Edit: oops, beaten.
Apr 2, 2012 9:43 PM
Jul 2018
It comes with the territory.

GRATUITOUS ENGRISH
Apr 2, 2012 9:46 PM

Jul 2011
RedStarLight said:

Lucky Star - What is this I don't even

Clannad means "family" or "clan" in Irish, as stated above. While not expecting anybody to know that, it is in no way misleading nor over exaggerated..
Names with unknown meaning or context can not be considered misleading, as they aren't tricking you into expecting something.

The same applies to Lucky Star.
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Apr 2, 2012 9:51 PM

May 2008
Off topic, but Inconscient, I love your forum avatar. Let me know when you get bored with it, and I'll gladly take it off your hands.
I'll even do it for free.
Apr 2, 2012 9:53 PM

Jun 2008
LuckyMango said:
Overdrive for bike races. Oh my god I swear I feel overexaggerated myself for laughing at some of these titles. It's almost as bad as card games that determines the fate of the world.

Good titles, gentlemen (and ladies), good titles.

Actually, I can't believe I forgot about School Days.

Looking at it at face value, and what the synopsis was, you'd expect a typical school harem. How wrong we all were.
Apr 2, 2012 9:59 PM

Mar 2012
Oh yeah, definitely School Days. Misleading name. Misleading opening. Misleading everything.

And by the way what the deuce is a Baccano and why does it have an exclamation point after it?
Apr 2, 2012 10:13 PM

Jan 2011
one i'm still confused about is K-on actually. at first i thought it was the band name but then ~~~~~~~and bam i still have no idea what happened
Hide behind the mighty wall of internet, i shall
Apr 2, 2012 10:19 PM

Sep 2007
hellsascendant said:
one i'm still confused about is K-on actually. at first i thought it was the band name but then ~~~~~~~and bam i still have no idea what happened

If I remember correctly, K-On is the English localized version of the original Japanese title, Keion, which is short for "keiongaku," which directly translates to "light music." The characters are in the school's light music club.
Apr 2, 2012 10:20 PM

Mar 2012
hellsascendant said:

I'm pretty sure K-on refers to the Light Music club in general (Keionbu), not the band itself.
Apr 2, 2012 10:21 PM

Mar 2011
ciddypoo said:
To Aru Majutsu no Index.

Lol so true.

ciddypoo said:

Fruits Basket

Because she's "a rice ball in a fruits basket," and yeah they explain it in the anime as well.

As for me, I'm still not really sure why it's called Full Metal Panic! Every time I hear it I think that it's related to Fullmetal Alchemist somehow. Is it just because there are mechs involved? Before I did my research, I thought that ChäoS;HEAd and Steins;Gate were somehow related, boy was I wrong...

Also they really need to change the name of Oreimo from "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute" to "My Little Sister Can't Be This Big of a Bitch"
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Apr 2, 2012 10:22 PM

Jun 2011
TravSavage said:
hellsascendant said:

I'm pretty sure K-on refers to the Light Music club in general (Keionbu), not the band itself.

And the thing is by "light music" they actually mean pop rock.
Apr 2, 2012 10:32 PM

Jul 2010
Fate/Stay night
Baccano!
Durarara!!
Mars of Destruction LOL
Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai (she was not cute at all. change cute with rude)
R.O.D the TV (read or die? sound like a survival game, where you need to read something all the time)
Usagi Drop
Bakemonogatari (sound like dark horror anime and that what i thought before watching)
Amagami SS
5 Centimeters per Second

LuckyMango said:

M = Masochist. that what japanese normally call, M or Mazo. if you read synopsis or watch show. it's not really misleading.
Han-yuuApr 2, 2012 10:37 PM
Apr 2, 2012 10:34 PM

Jan 2011
thanks for clearing that up for me :)
then two more:
un-go and level E
Apr 2, 2012 10:38 PM

Mar 2012
And to this day, I still have no idea what Fooly Cooly means. Then again if the main character has no clue, then why should I, right?

And Nichijou, considering what does happen in the series. Ordinary life my ass! lol
Apr 2, 2012 10:38 PM

Sep 2007
Han-yuu said:
Mars of Destruction

Pathetic human. Your feeble species is yet unworthy of comprehending the pure excellence that is Mars of Destruction. It shall be spoken of in only the highest accord for millennia to come as you struggle to grasp that which you and all other disgraceful genetic mutations of flesh and bone cannot possibly fathom.
Apr 2, 2012 10:40 PM

Jan 2011
Han-yuu said:
Fate/Stay night
Baccano!
Durarara!!
Mars of Destruction LOL
Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai (she was not cute at all. change cute with rude)
R.O.D the TV (read or die? sound like a survival game, where you need to read something all the time)
Usagi Drop
Bakemonogatari (sound like dark horror anime and that what i thought before watching)
Amagami SS
5 Centimeters per Second

Durarara!!
was reference to the gang in the anime.

that's really just your opinion, but then according to your own argument, she wasn't cute at all, which is what the name states.

Usagi Drop
can be inferred as symbolism for a little girl and the raising of a child

Bakemonogatari
it just means story about monsters, although slightly misleading, the anime wasn't far off at all.

5 Centimeters per second
it was a reference of the distance between the two protagonist.
Apr 2, 2012 10:42 PM

Jan 2011
TravSavage said:

And Nichijou, considering what does happen in the series. Ordinary life my ass! lol

but then again, it was purposely named that to show juxtaposition.
Apr 2, 2012 10:54 PM

Apr 2010
Sumomomo Momomo... her names momoko.

Master of Epic: the animation age
Ok this ones name originates from a Japanese MMO, but still... Master of Epic... that puts a pretty damn big picture in your mind. But its just a simple sketch comedy.

Samurai Champloo was NOT about samurai hair maintenance tips to my dismay.
Apr 2, 2012 10:55 PM

Jul 2010
hellsascendant said:
Durarara!!
was reference to the gang in the anime.

Sound like pun to me. just like lalala or ding dong.
reference for which gang? as far as i remember it was dollars. or you mean in general?

hellsascendant said:

that's really just your opinion, but then according to your own argument, she wasn't cute at all, which is what the name states.

Well. yeah, it's my opinion but sure misleading for few peoples. argument is valid. "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute".. i think my english is not that bad. :)

hellsascendant said:
5 Centimeters per second
it was a reference of the distance between the two protagonist.

first time i heard that. i thought it just random name they choose. not very clear though. And as far as i remember they were talking about cherry petal speed or something. well.. not that i care.
Apr 2, 2012 10:57 PM

Jun 2011
leingodf8 said:
Sumomomo Momomo... her names momoko.

Master of Epic: the animation age
Ok this ones name originates from a Japanese MMO, but still... Master of Epic... that puts a pretty damn big picture in your mind. But its just a simple sketch comedy.

Samurai Champloo was NOT about samurai hair maintenance tips to my dismay.

champloo: is a form of popular Okinawan stir fry dish, generally containing vegetables, tofu, and some kind of meat or fish. Luncheon meat (such as Spam or Danish Tulip), egg, moyashi and gōyā (bitter melon) are some other common ingredients.
Apr 2, 2012 11:07 PM

Mar 2012
Tachii said:
LuckyMango said:
Overdrive for bike races. Oh my god I swear I feel overexaggerated myself for laughing at some of these titles. It's almost as bad as card games that determines the fate of the world.

Good titles, gentlemen (and ladies), good titles.

Actually, I can't believe I forgot about School Days.

Looking at it at face value, and what the synopsis was, you'd expect a typical school harem. How wrong we all were.

haha ya dats true. i was gonna include school days to it but i thought it did give a school feeling. like sex is sometimes done by students in a school and the setting did revolve around the school so the title could have some meaning to the story.
But the ending was just brutal. No way did the title connect to the ending wut-so-ever.

Apr 2, 2012 11:12 PM

Jul 2010
some manga titles:

Ai Kora (love and college? it's not some normal love story and not in college)
Rockin' Heaven (typical shoujo manga without any relation with title)
Hotel
Melty Blood
Ping
Unbalance x Unbalance
Bakuman
Apr 2, 2012 11:37 PM

Sep 2010

It means a story about monsters. There's nothing misleading or overexaggerated(redundant??) about it.

Apr 2, 2012 11:51 PM

Mar 2012
Rheum said:
I don't have a specific series in mind but adding one, two, sometimes even three exclamation points to the title is something that I just don't get. Is it supposed to be reassuring?

Oh, it has two exclamation points? Then it must be interesting!

good point there. i just realized after reading what you said. To back up your thought heres some anime with exclamation points.
Angel Beats! <--
Hayate no Gotoku! <--
mayo chiki! <--

like for me i have never noticed that. good find :D

Apr 2, 2012 11:53 PM
Jul 2018
Daily Lives of Highschool Boys?

WHAT THE HECK MAN HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE
Apr 2, 2012 11:57 PM

Jan 2011
Rheum said:
I don't have a specific series in mind but adding one, two, sometimes even three exclamation points to the title is something that I just don't get. Is it supposed to be reassuring?

Oh, it has two exclamation points? Then it must be interesting!

lol, some just add another exclamation point meaning second season: K-on!!, Working!!
Apr 3, 2012 12:00 AM

Jun 2009
FauxAzn said:

Tachii said:

Huh? Did you watch a different show than me?

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica made me think I was going to watch a show with a girl named Madoka being a Mahou Shoujo (for more then 10 minutes).
grandy_UiDApr 3, 2012 12:05 AM
Apr 3, 2012 12:22 AM

Sep 2011
grandy_UiD said:
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica made me think I was going to watch a show with a girl named Madoka being a Mahou Shoujo (for more then 10 minutes).

I forgot about this. Trolled hard.
Apr 3, 2012 12:26 AM

Aug 2010
Black Lagoon - The black guy was called Dutch, not Lagoon.
Apr 3, 2012 12:40 AM

Nov 2011
The Legend of the Legendary Heroes. . .

I saw the title and laughed, watched it and it turned out to be pretty good..

But I mean someone is lacking in the creative department here.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Apr 3, 2012 12:43 AM

May 2010
death note? like seriously... that's so original...
Apr 3, 2012 2:13 AM

Mar 2012
Toradora. I mean what's a toradora
:)
Apr 3, 2012 2:20 AM

Jul 2010
Anime_Name said:

It means a story about monsters. There's nothing misleading or overexaggerated(redundant??) about it.

I know it's meaning before checking title. Did you watch preview in first episode. that blood and killing. i think even makers knew they are going to mislead audience a bit. it's not completely misleading but slightly. after watching that preview i was confirmed there is going to be some gore and blood stuff. but it turned out some comedy and romance, not that i didn't like it but not what i thought. also those weren't monster but gods who took control over bodies. ^_^

Soulofakishi said:
Toradora. I mean what's a toradora

tora=Tiger .. dora=Dragon
Tiger X Dragon
Han-yuuApr 3, 2012 2:24 AM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

96 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Which season of Attack on Titan do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 1 hour ago

11 by phantom346 »»
13 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

72 by phantom346 »»
16 minutes ago

» What anime are the most "unapologetically anime"? (things you could never do in western cartoons)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 9

29 by AxiaG »»
32 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 4 hours ago

8 by MichaelJackson »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.