Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2012 9:34 AM

Aug 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The crew doesn't get a break as they are called back to Serenity on an "emergency" so that Marika could get a medal. Back home Marika is a celebrity at school and the two princesses join the yacht club. Marika invites them over for dinner and Grunhilde eats hot mustard straight. Next mission has to do with cat-monkeys (not really in the next episode, I think).
Mar 31, 2012 11:08 AM

Dec 2011
I really love the new ED song.

Amazing how popular Marika got after being on the news.
Mar 31, 2012 11:25 AM

Oct 2011
In place of Marika I would level Serenity to the ground XDD

And Sailor Moon invasion continues - ok this part is weird with sending their royal family outside.
but it may be some weird custom :P

but nice episode with slower pace and closing stuff from before - good to see bits of results of action. I like those details.

Next episode recruitment... poor candidates they have no idea what awaits them ;)

PS. That stuffed "thing"/costume was insane... I want one XD
Mar 31, 2012 11:35 AM
Aug 2009
As usual, nothing more than pointless trite, catering to the loser otaku demographic.
Mar 31, 2012 11:55 AM

Jul 2011
HammersFan10 said:
As usual, nothing more than pointless trite, catering to the loser otaku demographic.

What? Even without ridiculous moe or ecchi? :O

I'm loving this show! Seriously, that felt like 5 minutes, not 25.
Great new ending. Are we getting new opening next episode?

And the next episode seems like it's recruiting crewmates. Hm. Looking forward to next week!

4/5 for episode.
Mar 31, 2012 11:58 AM
Aug 2009
MM-Rosiie said:
HammersFan10 said:

And the next episode seems like it's recruiting crewmates. Hm. Looking forward to next week!

4/5 for episode.

It does have moe: main characters working in a maid cafe, loli princesses etc. It doesn't have ecchi, which I'm thankful for. But what is the aim of this anime? It has been moving at a languid pace and the story seems to be going nowhere. It seems to just be interested in showing these bland teenage characters for the enjoyment of the audience.
Mar 31, 2012 12:01 PM
Sep 2011
This episode showed the aftermath of the events from last episode and developed Marika's relationship with her mother further and focused on some members of the Yacht club as well. Overall, a less eventful episode but an interesting one nevertheless.
Mar 31, 2012 12:20 PM

Apr 2010
Nice and refreshing episode.
I really loved the scene where Grunhilde tried to eat the mustard it was pretty funny.
Gruier and Marika seem to be developing a nice relationship with each other and it makes me wonder what kind of adventures the two will have in the future.
I also wonder what Chiaki will add to that.

Ririka seems like a nice person who does everything for her doughtier it's almost like she sacrificed allot for Marika.
And it does seem they will run into each other a few time in space judging form the letter she was writhing.
Mar 31, 2012 12:43 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The story seems to be drifting a bit. I find it very strange that so much was made of introducing Chiaki as an important character, yet she has hardly appeared in the last 4 or 5 episodes. And I don't understand why they have to include the slice of life bits with the cooking and such.

Why isn't Marika more interested in finding out about her father?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 31, 2012 12:51 PM
Jan 2011
prismheart said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The crew doesn't get a break as they are called back to Serenity on an "emergency" so that Marika could get a medal. Back home Marika is a celebrity at school and the two princesses join the yacht club. Marika invites them over for dinner and Grunhilde eats hot mustard straight. Next mission has to do with cat-monkeys (not really in the next episode, I think).

Yeah, but it looks like her mom is gonna get in the act either as competition or something else.
Mar 31, 2012 2:21 PM

Aug 2010
HammersFan10 said:

I translate this to "I didn't like it and everyone who DID like it is a loser otaku, because I am the alpha and omega when it comes to taste"

Yes, well, no.

True, it didn't have action scenes and whatnot, but it was thoroughly enjoyable and felt like it was over too soon.

I'm starting to take a liking to grunhilde and her character... she's huggable :3

Also, that new yacht club member with the dog-ears cap... I like =)
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Mar 31, 2012 2:44 PM

Feb 2012
I love how carefree..ish this episode was. Proves that you don't need action in every episode for a show to be good.
Mar 31, 2012 2:51 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
I'm off to find out where I can take the exam for getting a Class-2 large interstellar ship license.
Mar 31, 2012 3:04 PM

Jan 2010
A bland and tepid episode.
Mar 31, 2012 3:11 PM

Jan 2011
HammersFan10 said:
MM-Rosiie said:
HammersFan10 said:

4/5 for episode.

It does have moe: main characters working in a maid cafe, loli princesses etc. It doesn't have ecchi, which I'm thankful for. But what is the aim of this anime? It has been moving at a languid pace and the story seems to be going nowhere. It seems to just be interested in showing these bland teenage characters for the enjoyment of the audience.

I don't really even know what to say to this -_-

What kind of anime do you like?
Mar 31, 2012 4:03 PM
Dec 2007
Pirates is seriously the best scifi / slice of life show ever. It's so down-to-earth, yet incredibly well-directed and thought out. Perfect example once again was this week's episode. And the new ED was just... splendid.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Mar 31, 2012 5:38 PM

Jan 2011
with all my favorite series over kinda only had this to watch today.. was a pretty boring episode and i normally like it when they're back on earth but was just meh if you don't like the princesses.

Best part was that KICKASS door! and Afro guy is coming next week.
Mar 31, 2012 6:00 PM

Nov 2010
As usual, if anyone cares to listen closely, some discussion about the Serenity system's future. Good idea of Gruier bringing in the colony ship to shock up the system to start reformation.

HammersFan10 said:

LOL. All you have is just DBZ.
I play, the haters lose.
Mar 31, 2012 6:26 PM

Apr 2011
Slice-of-life, Space pirate style!

Its a nice episode to relax after what happen last episode. Seeing Marika turning into a local celebrity was fun. She's now called Marika-sama by almost every student in school. Not bad for relaxing episode. Seeing two royalties experiencing normal life and normal food was amusing. Gruel is a princess but she knows how to do laundry and dish washing, I'm pretty amaze about that.

I laugh over Grunhilde's expression over eating hot mustard. Thank goodness it didn't turn into an international incident. lol
Apr 1, 2012 12:58 AM

Jul 2009
New ending is "Toumei na Yozora ~Matataku Hoshi ni Tsutsumarete~", which is the B-side track of the "Black Holy" single due to be released on April 11.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Apr 1, 2012 7:05 AM

Aug 2010
A good episode, though Chiaki-chan needs to return soon. Poor Grunhilde, hot mustard...yuck! Loved the ending song. 4/5.
Apr 1, 2012 10:56 AM

Aug 2011
Enjoyed this one, it was refreshing to take a break from the ships once in a while.
Apr 1, 2012 3:35 PM
Nov 2010
I'm pretty sure that the people who don't find a liking to this series don't realize that this is primarily a MILIEU STORY, meaning that it resolves mainly around the universe it is set in. Yes, there can and should be story arcs that focus on rivalry and conflict, but they are not meant to be the focus of the story.

The series goes to great lengths to establish a rich world with lore, political parties and characters inhabiting this world as shown again by this episode. If you don't like the world, you needn't bother with the story. If you do like it however, you don't even need conflict to immerse yourself and the story can go pretty much everywhere without losing its charm.

As for my opinion, i absolutely loved the first episodes because I felt the direction was really tight and spot-on. Since then it seems they are taking a little more liberties which dampen the experience. I do however still like the series for what it is, since I enjoy the universe and the characters.
Apr 1, 2012 7:02 PM

May 2011
A nice change of pace from the intense journey the last few episodes. Nice to see the crew's thoughts on working at the school haha. Ririka's food nearly killed the previous crew several times rofl.
Apr 2, 2012 7:17 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
meatz said:
I'm pretty sure that the people who don't find a liking to this series don't realize that this is primarily a MILIEU STORY, meaning that it resolves mainly around the universe it is set in.

Voila.

I'm just tired of people not knowing anything about what they are watching.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 2, 2012 1:21 PM

Jan 2012
Not many interesting things happened this episode. I really want more action. This is a pirate type anime of some sort after all. Where is Chiaki-chan? I want her in too.
"- chan ja nai!" XD
Wonder what Ririka's cooking was after Misa's explanation.
9/10 or...something like it.

Apr 3, 2012 4:52 AM

Oct 2011
this show's really grown on me...good comedy/breather episode!
Apr 4, 2012 6:28 PM

Jan 2010
How could a show about SPACE PIRATES be so boring?
Apr 5, 2012 7:17 AM
Mar 2010
People who gather and talk about how fun this anime is...

Mind has been blown, is this possible?
"Don't you know who I think I am?!"
Apr 5, 2012 7:48 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Plagus777 said:
People who gather and talk about how fun this anime is...

Mind has been blown, is this possible?

This anime is definitely above average. If you fail to see it from an objective point of view, then don't come here complaining.

wakka9ca said:
meatz said:
I'm pretty sure that the people who don't find a liking to this series don't realize that this is primarily a MILIEU STORY, meaning that it resolves mainly around the universe it is set in.

Voila.

I'm just tired of people not knowing anything about what they are watching.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 6, 2012 5:24 AM
Mar 2010
So it's enjoyed for it's setting? In that case you won't mind if characters and development are down the drain... I take it you understand every bit of space largo they bring up.

Impressive, I wish I can do that.
"Don't you know who I think I am?!"
Apr 6, 2012 7:31 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Plagus777 said:
I take it you understand every bit of space largo they bring up.

It's standard terminology used in any space opera. Nothing special except the detail that was given. Then again, I come from engineering background. This series is a more-or-less solid SF one mixed with slice-of-life. Nothing revolutionary, but better than your average series.

After watching a large number of anime and reading a large portion of manga, you will start to appreciate how Mouretsu Pirates gives some fresh air. Also, animes aren't that great in general. Manga and novels are a much more solid in terms of storytelling and doesn't necessarily have to resort to fanservice or attention-grabbing elements to sell. Thus, I recommend people to read more manga and novels and be able to realize that there are different literary genre. SF stories often fail in the character part but excel in other areas in which I am more interested in. If you want excellent character development, you have to find the series for it.
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Apr 6, 2012 9:03 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Well, I think this show is doing a decent job at character development anyway. But, to add to what wakka9ca is saying, I have a post graduate degree in physics and I spent 8 years at NASA doing, among other things, generating orbit predictions for satellites. Oh, and I helped some with theoretical studies of semi-conductor design. And a pile of other things I could mention but won't. Now that I've established my credentials, what I like about Mouretsu Pirates is that, unlike some other Sci-Fi anime and live action stuff Mouretsu Pirates is not pulling technical terms out of thin air and trying to impress the viewers with non-sense techno-babble (for a current example of that, say, see Ozuma). Sure, it's sci-fi, but the science is, to a high degree, based on plausible speculative science. That means that it uses science that requires technology we don't currently have but our current understanding of science does not specifically say is not possible.

Whether this is good or bad I'm sure depends upon your point of view. Viewers who have a lot of plot and setting driven sci-fi reading under their belts should be very comfortable with this show. Those who are more interested in action and "gee-wiz" gadgets without to much concern about the details may be less comfortable. That's neither good nor bad, just simply a matter of taste.
Apr 6, 2012 9:24 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Just a note, "shields", which are a very common element in space sci-fi and mentioned in this show, are one of those things that seem generally accepted as plausible science but when you start to look at the details it becomes very difficult to imagine how they could be created. I won't go into details, but for those interested a really good book that talks about this and other things is "Physics of the Impossible" by Michio Kaku. It's aimed at the general reader, though I think the author assumes the reader has a general background in the sci-fi genre to begin with.
Apr 6, 2012 2:57 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Cratex said:
Just a note, "shields", which are a very common element in space sci-fi and mentioned in this show, are one of those things that seem generally accepted as plausible science but when you start to look at the details it becomes very difficult to imagine how they could be created. I won't go into details, but for those interested a really good book that talks about this and other things is "Physics of the Impossible" by Michio Kaku. It's aimed at the general reader, though I think the author assumes the reader has a general background in the sci-fi genre to begin with.

The closest thing I think a laser shield "field" would be is to scatter some form of particle around your ships in order to "deflect" the laser weapons. Otherwise reinforcing your armor hull with reflective surface, thermal isolation and special alloy will "shield" it against laser beam.

As for missile prevention, a point defense system of turrets that can shoot down missiles would be more useful.

Forget about the classical "force field" though. I have a hard time envisioning its implementation... I mean you will need to generate some form of wave that "just happens" to beamform (by interference) into a spherical layer around your ship. Hmm, maybe mathematically feasible if you try to use wavelets in spherical domain?
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Apr 8, 2012 8:51 AM

Jan 2011
Nice episode introducing the other princess. I wonder of next episode will have a new opening too, or if this show will only have 1 opening. Next episode is... strange?
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Apr 9, 2012 2:27 PM

Jun 2008
BOOOOOORING!!
Is this show ever gonna lift up? Unlikely it seems.
Apr 12, 2012 2:17 AM

Dec 2009
This was okay. A bit boring, But my biggest grief is... WHERE IS CHIAKI????

3/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 9, 2012 5:11 AM

Jun 2009
I can see why this series has a somewhat low rating, not because it's bad or anything, but because it's just a very slow series. Personally, I love the attention to detail and the setting. This is a very interesting universe the series has crafted and I really do hope it will continue after this series.

The only character to have really developed in any way is probably Marika, but considering the series is pretty much told exclusively through her eyes that doesn't really bother me all that much. This is someone who generally considers characters as a large part of his enjoyment, btw. But, the way this series is handling itself works well, I think.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 4, 2013 10:15 AM

Oct 2011
Nice to hear that the colony ship actually helped to improve the Serenity system. A nice break between the previous and next arc.
Nov 15, 2013 12:41 AM

Jul 2008
Magito said:
Slice-of-life, Space pirate style!

Its a nice episode to relax after what happen last episode. Seeing Marika turning into a local celebrity was fun. She's now called Marika-sama by almost every student in school. Not bad for relaxing episode. Seeing two royalties experiencing normal life and normal food was amusing. Gruel is a princess but she knows how to do laundry and dish washing, I'm pretty amaze about that.

I laugh over Grunhilde's expression over eating hot mustard. Thank goodness it didn't turn into an international incident. lol

Slice of life and pirates.....two things that should never go together.
Jan 2, 2014 9:38 PM

May 2012
A more peaceful episode, but well I actually liked it! The slight humor and decent pacing sure made it a good episode!
Jun 14, 2014 4:09 AM

Aug 2013
A setup episode for a new arc. Grunhilde is so adorable ;___;
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 22, 2016 7:53 AM
Dec 2014
soulassassin547 said:
As usual, if anyone cares to listen closely, some discussion about the Serenity system's future. Good idea of Gruier bringing in the colony ship to shock up the system to start reformation.

HammersFan10 said:

LOL. All you have is just DBZ.

Ha if I see DBZ that person's opinion is immediately discarded. I call it the Robotech/Toonami trait.
Jul 24, 2020 1:19 AM

Jul 2009
More of a downtime episode.

Good to see Grunhilde and Gruier having fun at Marika's home.

Another great ED song by Mikako Komatsu ^^
Sep 2, 2021 8:10 AM

Feb 2014
A more slice of life-y episode. I was expecting the emergency to be something more than a medal ceremony lol

New ED :O I like it, but will it replace the old one? D:

I wonder what Chiaki is up to, we haven't seen her in a while
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2022 10:02 AM
Jan 2017
That's a nice little wrap up of the Princess plot. Let's see what the second half of the anime has.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SymbolicLayer - Jan 7, 2012

162 by Beatnik »»
Feb 10, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

prismheart - Jun 30, 2012

91 by XXXXXXXXXIII »»
Dec 28, 2023 8:59 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 8 Discussion

prismheart - Feb 25, 2012

46 by Foreall908 »»
Sep 15, 2023 1:44 AM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

prismheart - Mar 24, 2012

56 by JJR1971 »»
Jul 3, 2023 10:06 PM

Poll: » Mouretsu Pirates Episode 24 Discussion

Beave - Jun 16, 2012

49 by FT_anime_fan »»
Oct 16, 2022 10:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.