Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 26, 2015 6:41 AM

Oct 2011
Nice Catcher In The Rye reference.

I'm starting to like this series. A possible score of 10
Jun 13, 2015 1:16 PM

May 2015
The ending kind of scared me, with Laughing Man coming out all out of sudden on this drawing (with only his motto being a very short teaser of what is to come). Great episode.
Jul 22, 2015 4:15 AM

Jun 2015
Man that rehab center basically use the patient as force labour to buff network security, talk about slavery. This episode makes me realise that Togusa has his brain cybernized but his body is in fact flesh and bones. That explains his memory or facial depiction for Aoi a.k.a. The Laughing Man is wiped clean.
Feb 12, 2016 10:37 AM

Aug 2014
Started interesting and ended with a good suspicious thing, seems like this chief Aoi can actually be the Laughing man.
Great Episode.
Mar 12, 2016 9:18 AM

Apr 2013
Creepy episode with all these kids there...
So was that guy in the wheelchair the laughing man? I thougth he might be him when he talked to that other kid that he has to go... but it's not completely certain yet, maybe he's just a impostor who uses his symbol. Such an interesting series :3
Apr 17, 2016 5:46 PM

Apr 2016
Hi, first time poster. Just started binge watching GITS.

But this ep pretty much confirms to me that maybe having a cyber-brain or being accessible to computer input ain't the smartest thing humanity has come up with.

Yeah, hacking your brain, changing your memories, screwing with reality...give me old fashioned chemical inducements, like whiskey and LSD. :D

Cheers to all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 19, 2016 7:09 AM

Nov 2011
Is it really possible for Hollywood to screw this up, every arc has been good thus far.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jun 13, 2016 9:35 PM

Jul 2011
I love how this world can so seamlessly mess with reality.

Rewatching and still love it. I applaud this episode for putting a smirk on my face.
Sep 29, 2016 8:22 AM

Oct 2012
What a bizarre episode.. It's all, really weird
Especially Togusa's injury.. His head seems okay for someone got hit by blunt object until bleed
Also, the head woman.. She just disappear
"Signature removed"
Jan 10, 2017 2:21 PM

Jan 2012
Hmmm, i like the fact that Togasa might have just met the laughingman. But im sure that wasnt him. Overall, great episode. The whole austism angle was pretty original, yet sad too. Great episode! (Hoping all the best for the kids).
Apr 1, 2017 10:13 PM

Jun 2013
Yo, this episode was REALLY good. I already can't wait to watch this series again after I finish it.
Apr 16, 2017 1:05 AM

Mar 2014
Ray_Light said:
What a bizarre episode.. It's all, really weird
Especially Togusa's injury.. His head seems okay for someone got hit by blunt object until bleed
Also, the head woman.. She just disappear

Plus the giant cyborg he shot turned into a statue, and that profile he thought he sketched turned into the Laughing Man logo.

All of which hint that much of what Togusa saw and experienced in there got hacked.
Jul 24, 2017 2:59 PM

Dec 2015
Major wearing jeans :3 hawt.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 3, 2017 12:13 AM
Mar 2017
minute 20:05: I burned the AI of the guy who was spying on us.
minute 21:16, at first I did not notice, but Togusa shot a statue!
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Nov 30, 2017 7:36 PM

Apr 2017
tabernac said:
Hi, first time poster. Just started binge watching GITS.

But this ep pretty much confirms to me that maybe having a cyber-brain or being accessible to computer input ain't the smartest thing humanity has come up with.

Yeah, hacking your brain, changing your memories, screwing with reality...give me old fashioned chemical inducements, like whiskey and LSD. :D

Cheers to all.

This series shows the cons of having cyber augmentation.

To be fair, we as responsible human beings, should always be cautious about what to inject into our bodies. Thousands of years of evolution made us who we are, so changing human nature shouldn't be trivially done.
Each augmentation can improve our lives or worsen it.

--------
Feb 24, 2018 12:00 AM

Jun 2017
Crazy good episode. Interesting to see how the Laughing Man was incorporated into it through Aoi. Possibly the Laughing Man was part of the institution hence the writing on his symbol about being one of the deaf-mutes like the autistic kids at the center? Seems like Aoi himself was an illusion created by hacking into all of the people's minds, which the Laughing Man made sure to clear out at the end.

Intrigued to see where this is going.
Though we are parted,
If on Mount Inaba's peak
I should hear the sound
Of the pine trees growing there,
I'll come back again to you.
Dec 5, 2018 5:19 PM

Nov 2016
Definitely must watch this episode again after I've finished the series.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 1, 2019 9:57 AM

Sep 2008
vitaminB said:
Did I miss something or since when Batou smokes

Didn't he smoke cigar in one of the movies as well (possible innocence)? can't remember, been a long time.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 29, 2019 6:57 PM

Feb 2017
Strangest episode yet.
Aug 9, 2020 2:47 AM

Jan 2016
Another shit episode comparable to some half baked American police drama.
It takes a lot of balls to weave philosophy into a scifi anime in an attempt to picture what the world could look like in the future but its not believable at all. This anime is continually failing at what it is trying to do resulting in just plain mediocrity.

Hint. The world is going to look nothing like this in the future.
Jan 17, 2021 7:37 AM

May 2018
Ah, a nice mindfuck to start off the day
Sep 16, 2021 6:11 PM
Jun 2013
Excellent episode. I actually felt a sense of danger for once. Suspense was completely missing from previous episodes, but this episode fixed that. Tosaka isn't overpowered like the Major or Batou so I knew he was in ACTUAL danger and the final confrontation got my heart moving a bit (which is good).

All evidence definitely points to the mystery kid or maybe one of the kids they kept showing sitting down hacking through stuff is the laughing man. At the beginning of the episode, the comment about this hacker being better than the Major confirms it for me. The expectation was that someone that good must be old, but the twist is it's a kid.

It's been years since I read Catcher in the Rye but I think I get the reference at the end.
Aug 5, 2022 9:53 PM

Sep 2015
I think the boy was indeed The Laughing Man. But I don't think it was him per se, but that the boy was an avatar of The Laughing Man.
I have a theory that The Laughing Man doesn't have a physical body, but manifests using the bodies of others or even creating illusory people (like the boy or the cyborg who was actually a sculpture). One could say that he "manipulates" or " shapes" reality as he pleases, at least the reality perceived by people with cyberbrains, as if he were the artist painting on a canvas.
By the way, has anyone else noticed that the kid who compliments Togusa when he first asks "who's the leader?" is the same as the guy with the kid's voice in the virtual chat in episode 9?
Feb 13, 11:19 PM
Dec 2018
I don't know what happened in the episode. From the comments, it seems that the truth is being obscured and the viewers are being manipulated in order not to know the truth. It reminds me of Satoshi Kon's writing style. A beautiful episode.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

153 by MineFord_gurme »»
Apr 5, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 8, 2008

84 by Satyr_icon »»
Mar 28, 9:02 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

88 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

50 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:32 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 12, 2008

77 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.