Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 5, 2008 9:00 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So what exactly went on in there? When Major went in the room their were bullet holes in a statue rather than in a cyborg. The also said they couldn't find the paintings. Hmm...
Apr 20, 2009 3:20 PM

Jan 2009
Was the 'leader' the Laughing Man? Gah...

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
May 4, 2009 11:27 PM

Mar 2009
just watched this for a second time and I think the leader was the laughing man over wise the episode would not have made any sense at all

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

May 28, 2009 4:28 PM

Apr 2008
I really liked the atmosphere of this episode.
Many details reminded me of the movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (the haircut of the lady who manages this hospital, the tall guy that was mute,..).
It does seem that the laughing man could be this young boy Aoi : the laughing man motto and the reference to Salinger 'the catcher in the rye" were written with the same bluue oil paint. Plus the fact that Salinger also wrote a book named the laughing man. th logo that Togusa drew instead of the boy head..

It's really interesting to see all those details fit together. But maybe it's only a decoy and this boy is just used by the real laugnhing man?
Jun 24, 2009 11:58 PM

Nov 2007
Pretty interesting episode, and can we assume that boy "Aoi" is the laughing man or is there more?
Aug 4, 2009 11:47 PM

Jul 2008
it seems to me that the laughing man was hiding out as the kid and by hacking into people's minds he changed his appearance to that of a kid and even forged that whole fight togasa had. what i really liked was all the references to "the catcher in the rye", i had to read that once, it was weird but interesting
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Aug 4, 2009 11:55 PM
Jul 2009
Don't read these spoilers until you finish the series at least once!

Rewatching this episode was just as mystical as the first time through, you still discover new elements even though you know the outcome.
Aug 18, 2009 4:36 AM

Jan 2008
no doubt he's the laughing man. As the other boy stated "he just came last week" and last week was also the time when the ministry of health was hacked. The laughing man does the hacking via that institution.
Nov 17, 2009 4:31 PM

Aug 2008
Oh so Warai Otoko was there??? dunno... But really this sole episode is definite and enough to conclude that indeed Warai Otoko was over there.... I'm not so sure it's this tall guy named Aoi... He indeed looks young, but heck he had a deep voice... besides that we actually know that Warai Otoko can hack the minds of anyone, so then Aoi could easily be one of the Terminals Warai Otoko uses all over Japan... I was going to say all over the World... But in my honest opinion that's too much... in fact we haven't seen yet the full scale of Warai Otoko's power.... He has much more power... I'm sure of that

And it's logical to conclude that the Warai Otoko was there because the place was fit for everything to happen... I mean... cracking boys and girls... autistic... self-shut... Obsessed... Bad Woman in front... and a weird Cyborg that someway resembles Batou.... Warai Otoko was there!!! WTF!!! Poor Togusa hehehe...

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 24, 2009 1:08 PM

Oct 2009
HOLY MIND FUCK BATMAN. I guess "the chief" is some personality who is using the body of that kid in the wheelchair... seems the personality is the Laughing Man (or at least being used by the laughing man) and was manipulating the autistic kids for their 1337 haxing skillz.
Apr 9, 2010 12:46 AM

Dec 2008
Its all starting to come together. Enjoyed this episode very much.
Jul 10, 2010 6:54 AM

Jun 2009
That's some bizarre shit... when Togusa show the portrait he drew... I was left stunned. I did not expect the Laughing Man to be involved at all...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2010 3:19 AM

Jan 2010
So, this happened before the events in the previous episodes, right? Because the mayor did not recognise the Laughing Man's logo...
Sep 30, 2010 5:29 PM

May 2010
The episode is stated as "Complex Episode", so it is about the laughing man
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 7, 2010 4:42 PM

Jun 2009
God, I love this episode more each time I watch it. This twist at the end with the message on the glove is freaking awesome.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 17, 2010 10:27 AM

Mar 2009
Pretty dumb that Togusa, nor the rest of Section Nine, didn't notice all the hints toward Aoi being the Laughing Man, or at least the 'original,' given that they're supposed to be conducting an investigation on him and all. It's been mentioned or implied several times that he can(and always does) over-write memories of his own face and achieve various other hacking feats at top speed and without leaving evidence. Apparently Togusa has never read relevant passages from Catcher in the Rye, either, even though the quote on the goddamn logo comes from that book.

Otherwise, good creepy and theoretical-future episode, with a number of autistic kids having to be isolated from networks for safety reasons, then getting exploited.
Mar 23, 2011 6:59 PM

Nov 2009
Wow. This definitely is an episode worth re-watching. Very well executed, yet another interesting episode.
Apr 10, 2011 11:06 PM
Apr 2011
Hm. I'm not sure what the hell just happened. There's a lot of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest references here, as well as Catcher in the Rye.

Aoi looks like a likely LM candidate, but it seems a little too easy. The Laughing Man is like Anonymous turned up to 11
May 17, 2011 4:09 PM

Dec 2009
Definitely one of the better episodes this season!
Such junk...
Jun 1, 2011 5:20 AM

Apr 2009
My mind = blown.
Aug 28, 2011 11:52 PM

Jul 2009
wtf just happened??

could it be that this kid is The Laughing Man???? man i thought this so called chief would be somehow a more older one but a wheel chair boy???

and what happened to the whole fight?? the girl and the cyborg and all???

not to mention the whole creating powerful barriers thing is actually genius. could it be that the Laughing Man communicating via that "Aoi" boy is using those barriers to cover his trails and so on???

damn what a mindfuck episode this is. if that boy was indeed "The Laughing Man" they were sooo close on catching him. now it's back to square one :\

damn love this episode. it keeps getting better as we move on.

love the series :)
Nov 16, 2011 3:10 PM

Feb 2009
Hidden meaning?? This episode was crazzeee, but I loved it.

So, was he having hallucinations or being hypnotized by the kid in the wheel chair? Man I need some enlightening to this episode, I do know the kids were responsible for it, but that's not much!
Nov 22, 2011 4:12 PM

Jun 2009
Honestly, I've seen this episode no telling how many times and I still am not sure what to make of it. My guess is that LM hacked into Togusa's cyber brain at some point and caused him to somehow hallucinate the attacks. Clearly, this episode was intended to be a mind fuck and it did it's job splendidly. Definitely one of my fave episodes.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 5, 2012 4:10 PM

Jul 2011
rapi321 said:
no doubt he's the laughing man. As the other boy stated "he just came last week" and last week was also the time when the ministry of health was hacked. The laughing man does the hacking via that institution.

OHHH. AOI LOOKS/SOUNDS LIKE THE LAUGHING MAN FROM THE VIDEO. AHHH.

MINDBLOWN!!

And he shot a statue!! Ahh!!

LOVE this episode.
Jul 10, 2012 3:08 PM

Jul 2009
Truly great episode.

I think Togusa's cyberbrain got hacked when you saw that long zoom-in on his face, the same thing that happened to him in GitS 2: Innocence.
Jul 12, 2012 3:05 AM

Jan 2012
Hmm, this episode has so many messed up stuff going on and I love it. It seems Togusa and Aoi were the only people to go into that room. The cyborg and lady that hit him were all fake. Aoi saw that he was hacking into the system and he was frightened. Not sure if he knocked him out or what, but Aoi saw that it was section 9. Got me wondering though, it was that lady that hooked up to him while he was unconscious. That doesn't make sense though since Togusa was already knocked out. So why was it her that hooked up to him when there was no one else in the room to fool?

Obviously, she was never there to begin with since Batou and the major were on the scene so fast and she was no where to be seen.

What I'm getting at is that we as viewers were also fooled by the laughing man! Even though we saw his face, we as viewers can no longer trust what our eyes' saw! Great thing they did here for this episode and getting the viewers involved, we were all mind fucked!!!
Jul 21, 2012 5:17 AM

Feb 2012
Quite an interesting take on autism, I enjoyed this episode a bit more than usually. So far I haven't been that impressed with the series. Maybe I've been expecting too much as people call it a philosophical masterpiece, but it seems this is another example of a series that takes almost half a season to get going. Particularly the Stand Alone episodes have been disappointing. Maybe as an anime series this was unique but so far most episodes have been comparable to American police dramas. Even if there's a mystery that shows every little thing in previous episodes was necessary, that doesn't make up for the fact that on their own I found the episodes neither entertaining nor particularly deep.
Oct 5, 2012 8:55 PM

Nov 2011
Man, I guess that was the laughing man? This is hilarious!

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 23, 2012 11:08 AM

May 2012
Interesting episode....
Dec 21, 2012 9:49 AM

May 2012
Boring episode imo, interesting concept of this all but not good put in motion!
Dec 22, 2012 6:28 AM

Jan 2012
So that guy in the wheel chair was the Laughing man? This is starting to get complicated.

Dec 31, 2012 11:17 PM

Nov 2011
>Watched the English dub version
>Hears Izzy's voice from Digimon Adventures S1

Anyways, nice episode and Togusa sure is the mysterious figure this time around. Dat drawing.
Feb 24, 2013 12:17 PM

May 2012
Also thing worth noting is that the boy with the parted hair is the moderator from the chatroom episode.

[color=#f3e7dd]join the quietly discursive at quiet discourse
May 29, 2013 5:09 AM

Apr 2013
That hit to Togusa's head ouch. His memories where altered. And it looks like the fight with the robo dude wasn't real. This was a total mind fuck episode. I should try re watching this one with English dub.
Always-HungryMay 29, 2013 5:14 AM
May 30, 2013 2:15 AM

Mar 2010
the funny man :O
Jun 10, 2013 8:55 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

A good episode, which leaves many doubts, if the guy is not really LM, because they disguise their faces? And when did the hacking of mind of Togusa? I stretch out on the scene at this point where the director shows him that strange room! Except for the CG else is great, poor AI is sacrificed for reasons of state! XD
Jun 15, 2013 6:56 PM

Aug 2008
As someone who read and spent 2 months analyzing Catcher, all I can say is... Holeeee Shit.

This series has proven itself to me as a masterpiece.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Dec 12, 2013 4:41 AM

May 2011
so Aoi was really the Laughing Man? Oh...it's quite uninteresting to reveal the antagonist that early in the show...I was hopefully expecting that Aoi might just be another decoy.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 14, 2013 2:24 PM

Aug 2013
So maybe the kid, Aoi, was the laughing man. After all, all these kids were hacking genius.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 5, 2014 10:46 PM

Nov 2012
Why is this series so damn good?
Jun 10, 2014 4:16 AM

Nov 2011
Episode color blue, and then returns to tread the theme "complex" of the plot.
It appears, however, from a narrative episode in its own right, if it were not for the final and large capacity of somebody to manipulate the reality of which it is also Togusa victim while maintaining its cybernetic brain isolated from external factors.
Who is really the raazzo, it seems that it is ...!
Drawings, animations, and great OST.
Poor thing the operator, because it does not even strike them every now and then? They always make the end of the mouse ...
Sep 20, 2014 5:40 PM
Jul 2018
Nice! An episode focused on Togusa! It was a rather weird episode, but weird isn't necessarily bad. In fact, I thought this episode was amazing, especially with how it ties in with The Laughing Man like that at the end.
Oct 3, 2014 5:57 PM
Oct 2014
What is the song that plays at the end of the episode before the end credits scene around 22:41. Anyone.
Oct 4, 2014 10:33 AM

Oct 2009
andrewmkparker said:
What is the song that plays at the end of the episode before the end credits scene around 22:41. Anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DqWR4yL2dY

It's at 16:30 in this video which contains a bunch of unreleased tracks from SAC, the part you heard in the show is all there is of it and it did not feature on the OSTs.

There are links to download all the unreleased tracks in the description, most of the tracks are more substantial than that one, it's funny how some of the stuff not even given a title or released on the official soundtracks for SAC is better than most anime OST.
Nov 25, 2014 5:18 PM

Sep 2014
I felt bored throughout but when the episode was finished I thought it was pretty awesome. Aoi's the laughing man eh?
Jan 4, 2015 6:08 PM

Nov 2011
Ha. I feel for Togusa. He was mindscrewed pretty good. .-.

It seems "Aoi" is the Laughing Man; whether that was actually him, whether he was hacking people's brains so that he looked different, or whether he had hacked that kid's brain, I feel semi-confidant that that's him. It's the only conclusion that makes sense.

I also noticed the older boy (whom Togusa was thinking of plugging into) was the chat operator from a couple episodes back. I wonder what the significance of that is...

What is the "catcher in the rye"? Why doesn't he have a choice?

That was the best episode so far.
Feb 3, 2015 9:20 AM

Nov 2013
Now we get more of a Togusa-centric episode, sweet. The message on the baseball glove at the end lol.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Mar 27, 2015 1:10 PM

Feb 2015
Ha, the laughing man strikes again. I did not see that one coming.

Great episode.
Apr 16, 2015 7:32 AM
Nov 2014
Damn I was worried when Togusa got caught red handed, that cyborg guy was scary. Hmm, laughing man is involved in this case too ? Damn that guy is a good criminal.
Apr 21, 2015 5:52 PM

Feb 2013
The Laughing Troll strikes again eh?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

153 by MineFord_gurme »»
Apr 5, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 8, 2008

84 by Satyr_icon »»
Mar 28, 9:02 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

88 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

50 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:32 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 12, 2008

77 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.