Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 5, 2008 8:12 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode was a lot better than last one. Lots of action and very graphic. I feel a bit sick > <
Oct 20, 2008 4:57 PM

Sep 2008
I agree the last one was bleah...
this one is also bleah, only in a different way.
Oct 20, 2008 6:02 PM

May 2008
This episode, graphic as it was, it gave us a little background of Batou. We learned of his involvement in the conflicts of South America right after WW4. This conflict will aslo be touched upon in 2nd Gig and the two CIA operatives which will be introduced to us will also have roles to play in 2nd Gig.

Jungle Cruise gives us a better understanding of Batou, he may be all brute and guns blazing but to his credit, he still will not stoop low to the level of criminals in his search for justice.

Fine episode.
"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer"
Nov 21, 2008 7:53 PM

Aug 2008
Nov 25, 2008 7:17 AM

Feb 2008
Way better than the last episode.
Mar 21, 2009 9:57 AM
Jan 2009
Is anyone else bothered by the blatant anti-Americanism in this episode??
Mar 31, 2009 10:35 AM

Apr 2008
gatotsu911 said:

no.
May 4, 2009 11:33 PM

Mar 2009
Sohei said:
gatotsu911 said:

no.

Nor me

I liked this episode as I am quite warming to batou as a character

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Jun 13, 2009 8:14 AM

Oct 2007
slenderfall said:
I liked this episode as I am quite warming to batou as a character
Same here, I'm starting to like him the most out of the Section 9 team.
Aug 4, 2009 11:43 PM

Jul 2008
this was definitely one of the sicker episodes, but hey they got the bad guy
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Aug 6, 2009 5:24 PM

Mar 2009
Very jacked up episode. It was good, but....still, jacked up.
<i>When all else is lost, the future still remains</i>
Nov 14, 2009 7:54 AM

Apr 2009
I like this episode the most so far. I'm really starting to like Batou. He looked like such a badass in the scene where he was in the jungle firing that mini gun.
Nov 15, 2009 4:13 PM

Aug 2008
YEh quite graphic for those of soft heart.... It was a great episode... After all we met Batou's past... an unknown past til this chapter... so this tiugh guy has a soft spot... not surprising... what's surprising is what he did in the past... How come he didn't finished with this Marcus guy before... Why he left him free? Dunno but that mistake in his past provoked this awesome episode

Shirt like skinned people... Ouch that gotta hurt tonnns.... BTW... It didn't look so gross at the beginning... But when they showed it more graphically I almost choked in my own surprise XD... Loved the resolution.... Batou you're the man!!! And Motoko is the girl!!!

Those CIAguys can go to hell... and yes there's some anti-Americanism... but heck, here they deserved it!! After all they made that Marcus (??) guy!

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 20, 2009 2:04 PM

Oct 2009
What makes it really sick is that the american government has done this kind of shit in the past and is probably still doing it (not that Japan hasn't done its share of fucked up shit, of course).

Batou is badass, I thought he had lost it but I guess I underestimated him.
Jul 29, 2010 10:55 AM

Jun 2009
I'm loving Batou more and more. He's such a bro.
Sep 23, 2010 5:34 PM

May 2010
I want to throw a punch at those two CIA
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 30, 2010 3:14 AM

Jan 2010
I feel sick... But I liked the episode.
Nov 7, 2010 4:38 PM

Jun 2009
Very different episode from the last, though still great. The directing is excellent, and I think that this episode grows on me more each time I watch it.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 17, 2010 10:19 AM

Mar 2009
What was great about the 'gore' is that this episode isn't graphic. Instead, the direction is creative enough to emphasize how gruesome and shocking a skinned torso is without showing anything beneath the shoulders.
That was some pretty blaring political commentary, though-with the American 'Empire,' the CIA doing fucked up shit, and the Japanese-American agents as manipulative doormats with little humanity.

I loved the touch of dark humor at the end. While the crazy guy is being led up the stairs, Togusa won't go NEAR him, even with a gun. Then the CIA guys venture that they 'only have two return tickets!', and Togusa flies back on screen to flip out at them. All presented from a slightly distant view, allowing a smooth transition to Batou and the Major's more serious talk.
Nov 25, 2010 3:25 PM

Aug 2009
Kvakond said:
This was heavy..

What? Is there something with the earth's gravitational pull in the future?

10 pts for the reference
Mar 23, 2011 6:33 PM

Nov 2009
A great, action packed episode. I personally enjoyed last episode a lot, but this one was very good as well.

Confucius said:
I want to throw a punch at those two CIA

Same, those guys really pissed me off. I hope they eventually get what's coming to them.
May 5, 2011 12:23 AM

Dec 2010
American Empire. American Imperial Navy. WTF is going on here?
May 15, 2011 3:07 PM

Dec 2009
Good episode, one of the better ones, IMO.
Such junk...
May 15, 2011 5:25 PM

Oct 2009
Lerax said:
American Empire. American Imperial Navy. WTF is going on here?

In the Ghost in the Shell universe the USA was divided into three seperate nations after WW3.

The USA, the Ameri-Soviet Union and the American Empire (which is the most powerful).
Jul 25, 2011 12:59 AM
Sep 2010
Zepwich said:
Kvakond said:
This was heavy..

What? Is there something with the earth's gravitational pull in the future?

10 pts for the reference

Back to the Future ftw!
gatotsu911 said:

Not really. Our gov't does immoral stuff quite often actually and deserves to be criticized sometimes.
Aug 28, 2011 4:17 AM

Jul 2009
really love this episode, not only we had learn Batou's past but the way he handled till the end is just badass. i would have probably killed the guy point blank without even talking to him.

oh the gruesome part was bad but the women screaming was the worst. seriously this is just some fucked up shit and i will not be surprised if things like this still happen in today's world.

really love it, this is why we need more anime's like this. the way they show it and how they set the pieces together flows really well. im starting to like this Stand Alone episodes. though Complex ones are the best :)

all in all another amazing episode. definitely ranking up to be one of my favorite animes of all time ^^
Aug 28, 2011 4:24 AM

Jul 2009
gatotsu911 said:

why do you care really?? is it because for once american's are the bad guys and not the good old innocent country protecting themselves but retaliating in a more gruesome way??

it's the same thing happening in other media. if the russians are the bad guys it's all okay, but if it there's a movie showing how americans are the bad guys and killing everyone merciless now it's anti americanism??? wow just wow the ignorance is very staggering

plus it's only an anime?? so what are you trying to prove???

stop trying to think the US is all goody good and the hero of the world. it's far from it especially people outside of US.
Sep 4, 2011 11:23 PM
Sep 2011
gatotsu911 said:

Yeah I was. And of course everyone else here will say no because they are all weeaboo's.
Sep 4, 2011 11:38 PM

Oct 2009
loneinthesnow said:
gatotsu911 said:

Yeah I was. And of course everyone else here will say no because they are all weeaboo's.

Lol, did you made an account to complain about it?
Nov 16, 2011 6:52 AM

Feb 2009
Brutal and brilliant episode. When an episode makes you chilly and fear for the characters you know it's a good one.

I'm really liking how the episodes are becoming more character-specific, this offers greater development to the characters and a great in-depth look into their pasts and what's going on in their minds. I hope more characters get episodes like this, although I know not all of them will due to importance to the plot.

Somehow this reminds of Cowboy Bebop.

gatotsu911 said:

Funny how people can be so one-sided and can only look in a straight line. Easy to forget the countless times Japan, Germany, South America, Eastern Europe and many other cultures are presented as the "enemy". But no one ever mentions the blatant "anti-Japanism" or "anti-Russianism" in other media.

I'm not complaining about it, but you need to grow up if you are bothered with this. This is entertainment, it's not something else trying to make a point.
VeethornNov 16, 2011 7:00 AM
Feb 9, 2012 7:52 PM

Apr 2010
loneinthesnow said:
gatotsu911 said:

it's pretty simple to turn a blind eye to what the masses feel is 'unpleasant', or not and eventually concede to indifference. but the bottom line is, every country is corrupt, whether it being their top officials or the majority, and no one is completely innocent.

like Veethorn stated, some of us seriously need to open their eyes and accept that it's ultimately entertainment, more so because it's Japanese entertainment, that you're watching.
Mar 3, 2012 3:41 PM

Aug 2010
Getting skinned alive. Damn, must suck.

Good Batou episode by the way.
Jun 5, 2012 3:28 PM

Jul 2011
More than freaking us out with the images, they showed the reactions.

And well... humans can do messed up shit.

I liked this episode! I liked last episode as well, but in a different way.

Topgunuk69 said:
loneinthesnow said:

Lol, did you made an account to complain about it?

That's what I thought.

And I think it's because America is a bit known for their wars. And more famous. Usually you see more of the US than Canada, Britain or other countries. You just don't really get the "war" image from other countries. Plus in anime, most "foreigners" in Japan are from America. Even like transfers students/ main characters, if from overseas, usually it's America, so... Well, actually, alot of people hate on the US. Just enjoy the episode.

Glad Batou didn't shoot the guy. :)

Rewatching Edit, 2016: Wishy washy reply I made there. Point being, it's not anti-American in this case. They just happen to be American.
That's like telling me The Pianist vilified the Germans just because it's a Holocaust film. Not the point. I'd say nationalists are the ones complaining here.
MirorinJun 15, 2016 5:50 PM
Jun 13, 2012 11:05 PM

Sep 2011
Just wanted to drop in and say I loved this episode. Even though it was 24 min long it felt like I was watching a short movie. Excellent pacing + character development. So far this show is quickly becoming one of my top 10 favorite animes.
Jul 12, 2012 2:17 AM

Jan 2012
Great episode and pacing with this one. They give you just enough to want to learn more about batou's past all the way to the end that it keeps you at the edge of your seat the whole time.

I was bothered by the way america is portrayed in here, but it is just entertainment in the end. I'd be lying if it didn't bother me since I am from here, but this is all fiction to begin with. I'm sure all countries have done their fair share of messed up stuff. The important lesson here is to question your government and help prevent messed up things.
Jul 28, 2012 6:30 PM

Jan 2012
Best episode so far. Easily! Pretty intense and heavy stuff. :)
Sep 5, 2012 6:02 PM
Aug 2012
I am re-watching all of Ghost in the shell;
I can simply say this.. I knew how this episode ended.. I knew how "cringing" it can be;
Second time watching it.. was exactly like the first time; I had my thoughts going a mile a minute.
The ending where he shoots and says "My war is over" Is so powerful; and the way he walks away after the whole thing (when he climbs the last stair he actually runs) he's obviously upset about his past, and he's glad he changed in a way and isn't psychologically destroyed like the rest of the operatives. I'm sure Marco + Batou were friends since they were all assigned in the same Operation, they probably had to converse with each other to keep their humanity. but after the operation they all stopped contacting; so imagine your friend going insane.

On the way America is portrayed.. it's actually very common in a lot of anime to show that America is a corrupted source of military power and does underhanded techniques and such; It's because of the whole situation of Pearl Harbor; Japanese used planes to attack naval boats and used surprise attacks, and then the USA retaliated by attacking civilian lives, sure it's war but again. They mention that it was after the war to throw in fear. Same thing USA did to Japan; they invoked fear to stop the war between them. (Just my thoughts)

Heavy burdens on Batou; I'd say he's always been my favorite character. He just looks badass and the way he was and the way he is.. it's like two different people and it's amazing how he changed for the better but still has all the badass training. It's like; a special forces character uses his training in daily life to better people, and not better the country.

I'd have to say, episodes that revolve around Batou are probably the most deep; and it's crazy how they can be, mainly because he's the rugged kind of guy, who solves something and then picks up all the regrets all over again and moves on and has a heavy burden but still somehow keeps going.
Oct 5, 2012 8:24 PM

Nov 2011
I thought he was going to be more of a challenge to take down, but I guess not haha. What a gross way of demoralizing people D=.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 16, 2012 9:53 PM

Apr 2011
What a monstrous episode, at times I feel bad being a citizen of the America Empire, oops, I meant America.

Seeing those poor girls getting strip off of their skin and later found out they had to watch themselves. What a monster, he makes Jason/Freddy look like generic character's from a horror movie, oops again.

Can't hate the soldier 100%, because the America Empire is partly to blame.
Oct 23, 2012 10:34 AM

May 2012
Nice episode!!!! I really thought Batou will shoot the suspect.. was so relieved when he didn't.
Dec 20, 2012 3:37 PM

May 2012
Well this sure was a quite fucked up case, good story though fucked up a bit :p I'm waiting for a new arc to start though!
Dec 21, 2012 9:55 AM

Apr 2012
Woah, can't believe how assfaced those guys from the CIA were. Characterization 10/10
Dec 22, 2012 6:06 AM

Jan 2012
A very good episode. Brutal, bloody but also touching. Also CIA guys pissed me off royal. Somebody could skin them too.

Dec 31, 2012 10:54 PM

Nov 2011
Damn, what a sick episode. That guy's hobby of flaying people alive....is just sick.
Apr 25, 2013 12:26 PM
Aug 2012
i cldnt stop muting the show every time someone was tortured i dislike tht stuff its horrid i cldnt imagine how u cld stay concious with tht kind of pain i nrly stoped watching this episode im glad some background info was given to batou
May 28, 2013 2:41 PM

Apr 2013
A Sick guy with a Sick hobby. Finally got to see some background on Batou.
May 29, 2013 3:13 PM

Mar 2010
alot of action int this one
Jun 20, 2013 1:01 AM
Feb 2013
Great episode; really atmospheric, lots of action, good backstory details. Gripping stuff.
Jul 3, 2013 3:14 PM

Feb 2013
reminds me of an episode of Dexter or Hannibal.
Dec 12, 2013 3:54 AM

May 2011
This episode...is just so moving. The American CIAs are just...douches.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

153 by MineFord_gurme »»
Apr 5, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 8, 2008

84 by Satyr_icon »»
Mar 28, 9:02 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

88 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

50 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:32 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 12, 2008

77 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.