MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

"Another" Ending Clarification *spoiler*
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Another »» "Another" Ending Clarification *spoiler*

03-27-12, 10:46 PM

As the show came to a close, I was left with more questions rather than answers. But upon reading some comments via other threads and trying to decipher things on my own, I could only come up with these conclusions:

-Reiko was killed a year and a half before the story starts.

-Reiko was also Ms. Mikami who came back as the "extra." (I assume she formerly was a homeroom teacher rather than an assistant?)

-Reiko's funeral was the first time Kouichi arrived in that town.

-Kouichi first meets Akazawa during this time as well but later forgets due to the effects of the curse.

With these noted, my concerns lie with the curse's activation. Kouichi's first interaction with Misaki did not lead to it because it had started already. How exactly did it begin then?

Misaki remembers Mikami's death by an unknown assailant, but how is this possible? Wasn't she supposed to forget as well? In addition, why was the assailant so similar in appearance to Kouchi? It wasn't him right?

Right before Kouichi goes in for the final blow, he states "Goodbye, Reiko. Goodbye, mother." Were these two separate "goodbyes" to two different people? If so, this made things even more confusing as one could mistakenly interpret Reiko for being Kouichi's mother.

If anyone could shed some light on these details, it would be greatly appreciated.

03-28-12, 1:32 AM

Shikijo said:
With these noted, my concerns lie with the curse's activation. Kouichi's first interaction with Misaki did not lead to it because it had started already. How exactly did it begin then?

It started when Reiko started going to school as Ms Mikami. Since no one knew that a teacher came back as an 'extra', no countermeasure was put into effect and thus, the natural balance that got thrown off by the dead being resurrected was never fixed. As a result, people started dying, starting with Mei's twin sister in late April.

Misaki remembers Mikami's death by an unknown assailant, but how is this possible? Wasn't she supposed to forget as well? In addition, why was the assailant so similar in appearance to Kouchi? It wasn't him right?

I think the fact that she had uncovered the real identity of the extra by then made her remember some details again.

Remember that the extra erases pretty much all traces of its existence, so when its identity is uncovered, I think the veil is lifted for that particular person.

As for the assailant, I doubt we'll ever truly know who he was. It couldn't have been Kiuoichi, as he wasn't in Yomiyama when Reiko got murdered. He came there for her funeral, and only returned later to attend school there.

Right before Kouichi goes in for the final blow, he states "Goodbye, Reiko. Goodbye, mother." Were these two separate "goodbyes" to two different people? If so, this made things even more confusing as one could mistakenly interpret Reiko for being Kouichi's mother.

From what I read, it goes somewhat like this: Kouichi never had the chance to say good-bye to his mother when she died. Though Reiko was his aunt, he probably started seeing her more as his mother, given that they looked pretty much identical. So, in a way, he had to kill both his aunt and his surrogate mother.

03-28-12, 4:57 AM

Ahh, I see now. Your answers do seem to fit the questions I had. Thanks for that. Hopefully others who are somewhat confused find this thread.

12-21-12, 7:55 PM

I just watched Another a second time and I picked up on some things. At the end Kuichi, says Goodbye Mother. Why does he say this? That got me to realize that the dead one/extra was his own Mother not his Aunt Reliko. I think this because Mei mentions that his Mother and Aunt look very similar. It is true that his Aunt was murdered a year and half ago and he came to town for the funeral. However it still wasn't the Aunt that was the extra. In order to not conflict with his memories, his Mom appears to be his Aunt to him and forgets all about his Aunt's Death. Remember, his Mom is a victim of the Calamity. She was the sister of Reiko (currently in class 3 at the time) who died in child birth. Any past victim can come back as an extra. Kuichi sees her in that last moment, knows it's his Mother not his Aunt, but chooses to keep silent, allowing others to believe it's his Aunt Reiko. I'm confident this is what really happened. Why even bother inserting the information that his Mother and Aunt look similar? The extra was his Mother.

02-06-13, 5:59 AM

kmparas said:
I just watched Another a second time and I picked up on some things. At the end Kuichi, says Goodbye Mother... Why even bother inserting the information that his Mother and Aunt look similar? The extra was his Mother.

no, reiko is not his mother...
Have Questions about Another(eg the cause of the Calamity ?the clues about the Another? etc)?
Join the Another Q&A Club now and find your answers there!

04-18-13, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the answers AO968. As for Reiko being Kuichi's mother, thats just ridiculous . Its not like the producers would have wanted the audience to figure that out, if it were, then the epilogue would have said as much.

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices