Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jan 25, 2014 5:10 AM

Feb 2013
Oh my god I loved this anime so much. I gave it a 9/10 but I might give it a 10.
Apr 14, 2014 5:57 AM

Apr 2009
I so love this series! Gonna watch the season 2 now!

10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2014 7:52 AM

Nov 2010
Suo and chubby Shinobu are really fearsome Caruta players
Taichi would be the one facing the Master instead of Arata next
Desktumo has given Chihaya some impressive information about her strength

This was overall an amazing series with the first three episodes on par with
"Forest Gump" to me
It grabbed me and didn't let go till the end, every three episodes or so I would shed a tear or have a massive dokidoki attack
There were so many interesting characters and depth on their back ground as well
Dr. Haruda is one fine teacher, but his rival Kitano made an awesome impact towards the end

I'm glad there's a second season to follow with romance, gameplay strategies and a having a master and queen dream as a goal
It's hard to believe such an old fashion sport could be so much fun and interesting
1lauMay 14, 2014 7:58 AM
May 16, 2014 9:15 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Challenge accepted Chihaya ^^

Scene ends just like it stated, Chihaya posting a flier about the Karuta club.

10/10

May 25, 2014 4:42 PM

Dec 2013
Great that Taichi finally managed to find some real motivation
May 30, 2014 9:22 AM

Jan 2014
i don't know about that class A for kana lol..

but this anime was downright awesome
i loved all the amazing characters! i loved the fact that they were all so distinct. i cant help but feel these characters were inspired by real people.

onto the sequel!
[right]
Jul 17, 2014 9:36 AM

Sep 2011
Let's see, I'm not really interested on Karuta, even after watching and finishing this whole season but I admit that I'm getting into this series. I also admit that I want to see more the romance department of this series but unfortunately that's most likely just a substitute since of course the main department here is sports, particularly Karuta, but like I said I'm not really interested on the said sport.

8/10 and I'm not sure anymore if I'm going to watch the sequel. Another reason about why I couldn't take to watch this is because of the obvious Taichi's efforts are getting wasted and I'm not really into that depressing situation stuff although like I said that the romance genre on this series is not the main focus.

Aug 27, 2014 6:47 PM

Jun 2012
I really dont think taichi can beat the current master, maybe arata but I really dont see taichi beating him. Its sad too because it looks like taichi will lose in both karuta and love.
Oct 14, 2014 7:53 PM
Aug 2014
I had mix feelings through out the show. I sped up the play speed to 2.0x + during matches due to a) even though it is sports, I got irritated with the mc losing confidence b) listening to the poems being read out several dozen times started to annoy me...

Well I hope season 2 will be more enjoyable/promising
Nov 20, 2014 10:18 PM

Jun 2012
The series was definitely good. 8/10.

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Jan 1, 2015 6:12 AM
Jan 2013
1. I want to play Karuta.
2. They put quite a stress on the accent difference between West and East.
Jan 15, 2015 8:59 AM

Dec 2013
This show felt like any of the other team-fighting spirit anime. Like Kuroko no Basket or Gundam Build Fighters Try. I mean, really its so much about working together and winning.

I love this series overall, it drew me in, every episode was fun except 16 the filler. Loved it.

5/5 for this episode and 9/10 for this series. Can't wait to start S2!!!!

Want to see more Shinobu (normal version, the flat version)
And more of that grade schooler!!!!
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Mar 12, 2015 5:32 PM

Nov 2014
i swear to fucking god if arata ends up with ayase imma flip shit
Apr 22, 2015 12:53 PM

Nov 2014
Arata's phone is pink with girl-ish wallpaper XD !!!

Despite the main game being lame and boring, they managed to make the anime quite good.
Everyone is looking forward, working hard for their goals -lame goals :p-
Definitely hoping for better events for Taichi in season 2, he achieved nearly nothing in this season :(
Jun 9, 2015 2:41 PM

Apr 2007
Does anyone know the theme when the Master (Hisashi) was playing in the beginning of the episode? The classical-sounding one?
That part was damn good.
Sep 6, 2015 2:07 PM

Sep 2014
tfw I will never date a girl as beautiful and lovely as Chihaya
Sep 12, 2015 6:53 AM

Mar 2014
Current Ruler of Karuta . Sense of mastery .
Overwhelming boundaries .
Stronger inspiration .
Like how the bright rays shower upon you .
Dedication to be Better . Dreams of the cards .

My tears of joy for this Masterpiece .. It was just .. utterly amazing .
Season 2 , Incoming !!! I love this anime .. more than what it shown back .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2015 12:58 PM

Mar 2012
It was good but somewhere along the line I started enjoying it less. Probably has something to do with making it so that Taichi doesn't get into A class, the way that the Queen and Master win seems unfair (just feels like it's because they're supposed to be beaten by the MCs at the last part of the story and no one else), and the fact that this "sport" just isn't all that interesting to be entertaining for 25 episodes.

Still a good show with a great OST. Will check out S2 sometime.
Sep 15, 2015 1:06 PM

Jul 2012
Avenger-senpai said:
It was good but somewhere along the line I started enjoying it less. Probably has something to do with making it so that Taichi doesn't get into A class, the way that the Queen and Master win seems unfair (just feels like it's because they're supposed to be beaten by the MCs at the last part of the story and no one else), and the fact that this "sport" just isn't all that interesting to be entertaining for 25 episodes.

Still a good show with a great OST. Will check out S2 sometime.

Don't worry about Taichi and the others. Just watch S2 and you'll be satisfied!
Nov 8, 2015 3:17 AM
May 2015
Who was the guy introduced Chihaya to karuta? - Arata
Who is the guy Taichi is gaining inspiration from? - Arata
But people still hate Arata, very nice -_-
Anyway, this is one of the few shows which you can't miss. I didn't expect an anime about karuta( I had no idea what the hell is karuta before watching the anime) will be this much good. Realistic romance, adorable characters, outstanding background music and songs, magnificent art and lot more. 10/10 without a doubt. Hope we will be able to see ARATAxCHIHAYA in the 2nd season.
Nov 11, 2015 9:37 PM
Jul 2018
gamerguy50 said:
... ,but as soon as the english translated manga catches up, I'll definently be reading that.
Looks like you've been reading ahead a bit, based on your list...

It would be great if the bi-lingual English/Japanese releases were picked up again by Kodansha beyond their first two volumes published so far but for the time being there is the news that scanlators are not only working on the latest chapters but some people have also picked up the manga series where this first season of the anime ends. English translations for chapter 49 were released a couple of days ago.

Which prompted me to have an other look at this episode... any excuse will do, really.
About reading ... In the manga Kana is holding what looks like a notebook or a stack of papers on which the top page has been left blank (Volume 9, Chapter 49, pages 42-48) but in this episode of the anime she can be seen holding a book as she approaches Chihaya in the hallway.

A book with a title and subtitle visible on the cover - indicating that the contents are probably about reciting classical Japanese poetry - which would make sense considering what Kana says to Chihaya about her dreams - or about classical poetry composition. The title is most likely 万葉人の詩 : 日本の古典を詠する. Less certain about the name of the author but it looks like it might say: 中盛一義 on the cover.

Searches with the main title and the potential author's name - on book sellers sites, in library catalogues and bibliographies - haven't come up with any direct matches, however, so it seems like the animators created a fictitious book for their animation series. Always curious if the original mangaka has input in such matters during the adaptation process or if this is an example of the animator's poetic licence.

The title is interesting not only because it gives a hint about how serious Kana's dreams are but also because it may have been used to illuminate her thoughts about the nature of poetry itself - going through her mind as she hears Chihaya repeating opening lines from "karuta poems". Something which attracts her to her while it drives away the other students...

The poems Chihaya recites are clearly identifiable but Kana's allusions to the songs of animals may be more open to speculation. Kana specifically mentions the calls of the warbler (uguisu) and deer (shika) and tentatively attributes her thoughts to Ki no Tsurayuki. Someone who not only composed poetry but also wrote commentary on poetry. Including the Kana Preface for the Kokin Wakashu poetry anthology. A preface in which he wrote about the countless leaves of words and wondered if there is any living being not given to song but in which he gave a warbler's song among the blossoms and a frog's in fresh water as his examples to illustrate the point, in the first paragraph at least.*
Whereas Kana thoughts include deer crying out...

If someone can confirm whether or not the book Kana is holding actually exists or can provide a specific source for the thoughts Suetsugu has Kana somewhat hesitantly attribute to Ki no Tsurayuki, I'd love to hear about it.

*Based on the words used in the translation of the first paragraph of the Kana Preface found here:
http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/special/japan_600ce_waka.htm
and the Japanese text reproduced from the entire Kokinshu found here:
http://jti.lib.virginia.edu/japanese/kokinshu/kikokin.html
removed-userNov 11, 2015 9:40 PM
Jan 3, 2016 2:22 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
10/10
though that recap episode was close to ticking it to a 9. So intense.

And the character development of both the Queen and Empress has caused me to like them (even though I loathed them in the beginning)
Mar 10, 2016 1:18 PM

Sep 2015
As I already know that there's another season, I want to use this opportunity to tell you my dream ending:

West vs East Match Male: Arata x Taichi
Master Match: Arata x current Master

Queen Match: Shinobu x Chihaya

Arata & Shinobu win and become a couple, Taichi & Chihaya lose and become a couple.

Ok, I'm not 100% serious, and I'm okay with the others winning as well. But Arata and Shinobu are a match made in heaven, basically; while Taichi fits much better for Chihaya.
I hope they realize that, but I'm also open for suprises. :D
CrayonFoxMar 10, 2016 1:51 PM
Sep 1, 2016 6:20 PM

Aug 2014
No ending, expected because the show has a direct second season, so i'll forgive that.

A quick evaluation because the anime has another season so i will write as little as possible.

Animation - 8 (I loved the motion in the swing movements, gave me epic feeling)

Art - 8 (Wanted to give it a 9 here but i think 8 is more accurate, the character design is one of the best, the colors are wonderful, lacks abstract)

Sounds - 10 (Wanted to give 11 here, but due to not so much variety in OST i lowered it by 1, everything else is excellent)

Story - 7.5 (Simple with no conclusion, but very very engaging so imo it deserves a high score here, my problem is only after episode 17 it started to get a bit boring, because the queen, and episode 22 and episode 24 were very annoying to me, so lowered it)

Characters - 9 (The best in this show, due to some annoying characters like that short girl who likes poetry [ I Even forgot her name already because she sucks ] and the previous queen is a piece of shit so no 10/10, other characters are awesome)

Taitchi - Probably the best character in the show, his reactions, personality and development is excellent.

Ayase - Second best character, she looks like a model and her reactions are fun and cool though sometimes i feel she lacks femininity a thing I value a lot in a women, but i appreciate her being a unique character. Up to episode 21 she was the best character in the show.

Shinobu - My Queen, sharp elegant women, sexy and feminine, she has the most attractive personality in the show even though she only appears three episodes (The queen of episode 24 is not the queen)

Arata - Had the potential to be on the top but little screen time prevented me from attaching to him as Taitchi and Ayase.

All others are either average or fine.

Except for the short girl who likes poetry and for the previous queen; those were complete trash.

Enjoyment - 9 (Very engaging and that boring lame game of Karuta was well handled and they turned it into a cool game, props to them)

World-Building - 6.5 (I wish they explored the personal life of the characters a bit more).

Atmosphere - 8 ( Has feeling and its easy to attach to the show and its characters, the music helps a lot)

Overall: It was basically like this, first i though this could be 9, then the queen appears Woah its going to be a 10, then the queen disappear, fine its back to 9, then episode 22 and towards the ending it went down to 8.

Could've been better, but its a very good show imo, great anime.

Looking forward for the second season and i have hopes that it may surpass the first one.

My Final Score: 8.3/10
Dr-EyesSep 1, 2016 6:41 PM
Oct 26, 2016 1:59 PM

Dec 2014
the season finale..... well that was something and a whole year passed... I hope we get to see chihaya as the queen till the end of the next season....
Oct 27, 2016 1:48 AM

Dec 2015
Finished rewatching this amazing series, now onto the S2 rewatch!
Mar 8, 2017 8:11 AM

Oct 2013
5 more members to be added ? getting interesting indeed. Looks like there'll be new characters in the 2nd season. Idk if that Suo guy the master really into old woman or just joking but he got there, funny af.

Tachi putting more effort in Karuta by practicing his swing which is great, Chihaya's Karuta style is simillar to the Karuta Master, she has more potential to become the Queen of Karute, hopefully i get to see that really happen in the 2nd episode, also i'd love to see Arata Vs Suo.

Overall score 9/10, now onto the 2nd season
Mar 21, 2017 2:26 AM

Oct 2012
5 members?
Not like this xD
At least they got 30.000 yen for the club

Beauty in vain?
More like beauty hidden in vain because everyone doesn't understand true beauty
"Signature removed"
Apr 19, 2017 9:37 AM

Feb 2008
A lovely finale.

The episode catered to practically every need. The beginning of Mashima's transformation to a sadist was particularly enjoyable. I'm looking forward to watching the following season.
Apr 23, 2017 8:14 AM

Feb 2013
The Master is really amazing.
The muda bijin stupid people are annoying me, they only think that girls half naked and that act all kawaii are beautiful or what.
Wow, they need 5 more members next year.
Apr 23, 2017 2:43 PM

Nov 2016
This was pretty great. Loved all the characters, the OP and ED songs are awesome, the karuta card game is actually pretty fascinating, and the animation is very pretty. 9/10
Sep 1, 2017 4:11 PM

Nov 2016
So we're back to episode 1, nice :)

All in all it was definitely an awesome show, from start to finish.

Well written plot, complex characters,relaxing atmosphere etc., nothing to complain. Can't wait to start season 2 now.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 30, 2017 4:30 AM
Nov 2010
Binged this shit. It was awesome. Shout out to proZD.

fat shinobu was hilarious. Couldn't stop laughing. Very unexpected. Lay off the ice cream.

Taichi as a kid was an asshole but now he's supercool. Confess already.

Kana realising she had to be A class to be a reader was also funny af. Her dreams and aspirations were crushed by chihaya.
Sep 30, 2017 4:32 AM
Nov 2010
Ray_Light said:

Beauty in vain?
More like beauty hidden in vain because everyone doesn't understand true beauty

Hahaha facts.

But in reality, no one would say beauty in vain 😂

Nov 5, 2017 4:58 AM

Aug 2017
It’s a great show and now I can say it’s one of my favourite. So here we came to know that Kana chan wants to be a reader. But for that she has to get classA . Hope her dream gets fulfilled. Now it’s time to watch the next season!
Dec 1, 2017 1:59 AM

Dec 2013
That master seems unstoppable!

Good luck getting 5 new members lol

Things came full circle at the end!

Sep 8, 2018 8:27 PM

Oct 2015
I was surprised Shinobu won considering that weight, but I guess she's the queen. The master is also strong too for retaining the tittle for the fourth consecutive time, that Suo is a true beast. As for Chihaya and the gang they need to improve especially the guys, I hope Taichi won't be a Chihaya kiss ass in the next season.

As for Arata he needs to up his Karuta game because I thought he was lame in this season.

Good show but wasn't that much good, the Karuta game isn't that great and the story is decent. The characters are just fine, especially the typical love triangle. I bet people didn't give a damn about the Karuta story and only focused on who Chihaya loved instead and who she go on a end up with.

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 4, 2019 9:03 AM
Apr 2016
Well, a lot happened this episode, a.k.a last episode this season! Well, master is really good, but as Arata said, it all comes down to objective speed, whoever takes the card first, wins. I hadn't had enough, so gonna watch the second season real quick...
Feb 13, 2019 7:44 PM
Jul 2018
Good episode and overall liked the show since after the recap episode. Some of the developments were interesting although disliked few clinches it uses which may sit well for josei fan audience but honestly only Taichi and Arata's characters really make me look forward to this show.
The cliffhanger was pretty much perfect for me to give the 2nd season a try.
Feb 14, 2019 7:56 PM

Jun 2015
this was an amazing watch. i truly love how i dont have much interest in japanese specific games like shogi or karuta, but i end up loving the shows and learning the games, when i came in with little to no knowledge. definitely gonna give the second season a run.
Feb 25, 2019 2:29 PM

Aug 2017
I think this is a great episode to end the first season. It was beautiful to see everyone practicing so hard after they saw the Master and Queen matches on TV. And I am sure Kana will make a wonderful certified reader! She is overthinking way to much right now which is kinda cute haha. I am curious who will join the karuta club next season!
Feb 27, 2019 5:14 AM

May 2016
I really enjoyed this episode and the fact that Desktomu pointed out that fact about Chihaya was simply gorgeous. that ending haha.

Took me quite a time to finish this show cause of that had really great connection with the characters and it was such a great ride looking forward to S3 this spring. 8/10 Gambare Taichi >->
Mar 29, 2019 9:26 AM
Feb 2019
It kinda had me hanging. Lols. Anyways, I want these kind of friendship they had... And ummm. Honestly, I thought Arata had more screentime than Taichi.
Aug 2, 2019 1:52 AM

Aug 2018
Damn what a fun ride with this series
I need to finish 1 more season before season 3 come out this fall.

I never expect that im gonna enjoy this series a lot given that karuta didnt interest me that much when i start watching this.

The good narrative, plot, impressive character development, unique mc's and side characters are the strongest point of this anime. Even if i dont understand the game until now its still pretty enjoyable couz how interesting the story was. Its getting better and better in each episode.

10/10 for me

Sorry Ayase, but im gonna root for my Queen Shinobu this coming season xD
Arata has a chance to beat the current master and for Taichi he needs to be in Class A for first.

Pretty interesting who's gonna be the 5 new members next season
SOP-IIAug 2, 2019 2:02 AM
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Nov 21, 2019 2:35 PM

Oct 2013
Rather calm episode, it didn't feel as the final one, although it was very enjoyable.

I'm glad I discovered this anime. Really good story, characters, beautiful visuals, music and general atmosphere. No need to add that karuta is really interesting game. :)
Dec 19, 2019 8:38 AM
Jan 2018
Needs 5 new members or they have to return the room a bit unfair i like how the empress has grown to like karuta lol

First season done it was really good/great looking forward to watching season 2 and see how Chiyaya improves as well as the other members

Hopefully we see more of the queen which I don't see why we wouldn't
Jan 4, 2020 12:48 AM

Mar 2015
This episode felt like it was setting up for the second season, which is fine. On we go!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 28, 2020 10:06 PM

May 2016
Why did this get such a high rating? IT was extraordinarily mediocre
Mar 28, 2020 9:35 AM

Apr 2018
First season is over!!!
Overall a good show there was some matches which annoyed me and some melodrama but I love main characters so It was overall enjoyable 7.5/10
#TEAMTAICHI
Mar 30, 2020 6:57 PM

Apr 2016
Oe's dream is to become a certified reader, how nice. Lol Taichi went full sadist mode. I like how Miyauchi defended the karuta club in the faculty meeting.

I gotta say there were a few lows here and there in this series, like Chihaya's annoying persistence in the beginning when recruiting members, and her continued incompetence in karuta matches, but I guess there's always room for growth. I'm just hoping she improves her game or changes something. Chihaya aside, everything else about this anime was great. I have high expectations for what's to come.

7/10
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 29, 2011

216 by minnaslay127 »»
Yesterday, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zimno - Oct 11, 2011

180 by saabiK »»
Mar 14, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Dec 13, 2011

146 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Nov 1, 2011

182 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 1:58 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Confucius - Oct 10, 2011

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 11, 2:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.